PDA

View Full Version : TC Daily Update #1 7/28

TRR
07-28-2005, 09:02 PM
Wednesday, July 28, 2005 Afternoon
K.C. Chiefs Training Camp Daily Updates

The Chiefs opened practice today under cloudy skies. The termpatue was 77 degrees with a dew point of 60 degrees. The wind was blowing from the southwest at 6.2 miles per hour. The clouds looked ominous throughout most of the practice, but luckily there was only a light sprinkle within the first hour. About 315 fans, young and old alike, lined the practice fields to watch the Chiefs in their first practice of the pre-season.

Offense

In 7-on-7 drills Pro-Bowl quarterback Trent Green went seven for nine. Running back Priest Holmes caught two, wide receiver Eddie Kennison caught 2, and wide receiver Richard Smith, Samie Parker , and Tony Richardson each caught one. Richardson also dropped one pass. Kawika Mitchel had a diving interception and the crowd and media oohed and aahed. When asked if Mitchell's season will be a break out, Coach Dick Vermeil replied he "sees that all the way."

Quarterback Todd Collins was four for five in 7-on-7. Running back Dee Brown caught one, tight ends Tony Gonzalez and Kris Wilson both caught one, and wide receiver John Booth snagged a pass. Dante Hall dropped one pass from Collins.

Quarterback Damon Huard went three for four in 7-on-7 drills. Jeris McIntyre caught one and dropped one. Running back Ronnie Cruz pulled in two.

In 11-on-11 drills, quarterback Trent Green was five for eight. Running back Priest Holmes caught two and dropped one. Holmes proceeded to drop to the ground for ten push-ups. Running back Larry Johnson caught one and received a shovel pass. Wide receiver Samie Parker had a reverse. Tight end Tony Gonzalez and wide receiver Dante Hall both caught one. Starting cornerback Dexter McCleon had an interception.

Quarterback Todd Collins was three for five in 11-on-11 drills. Wide receiver John Booth caught two. Running back McKenzi Smith caught one.

Quarterback Damon Huard went four for five in 11-on-11 drills. Running back Samkon Gado caught one and, wide receivers Dante Hall and John Booth both caught one.

During the special team drills, tight end Tony Gonzalez spent his time catching passes on the otherpractice fields. Quarterbacks were also working on their foot work at this time, and wide receiver Freddie Mitchell was seen running.

During 7-on-9 drills running back Larry Johnson had some impressive breakthroughs through the line. Running back Dee Brown also had some great reps and had the crowd cheering for him, "Way to go."

Tight end Jason Dunn talked of team spirit after today's practice. Asked if his role with the team has changed this year, he responded with, "I'm a team player. I do whatever they need me to do. Even if they want me to go ahead and kick the ball, I'll do it." He mentioned he wants to do his part and contribute in any way possible to help win games.

Guard Will Shields was taking it real slow today in practice, due to his back bothering him. Coach Vermeil said that during training camp, coaches are "going to be patient with his preparation."

Coach Dick Vermeil seemed impressed with Priest Holmes today during nine-on-seven drills. He was heard yelling from the sidelines, "That a way Priest," as Holmes used his speed and fast footwork to break through the middle.

Defense

Linebackers Mike Maslowski and Scott Fujita did not practice today. Fujita is overcoming right ankle surgery and Maslowski left knee surgery. During half-speed drills they both acted as running backs and quarterbacks to help the defense react to the runner. Both players also stayed after practice to get a quick workout in, running drills. Coach Vermeil said that they are not playing because they didn't pass their physicals yet. Both players will be working them out independently with their trainers.

Shawn Barber did not practice today but did an independent workout, still rebounding from his left knee ACL surgery.

Free agent DeWayne Washington , who the Chiefs signed to a one-year contract, practiced today. Washington, who played with the Jacksonville Jaguars last season was a former first round draft pick in 1994 with the Minnesota Vikings and has played in over 175 career games.

Cornerback Eric Warfield worked the field rotating around with the second string defensive line. Normally Warfield does not play special teams, but due to his suspension, other players are filling his spot to get a feel because he will not be in for the first four games. Coach Vermeil said "usually players don't lose their starting position due to injury or suspension. Because he is gone, it gives somebody a heck of an advantage to get all of the work in. Eric has to be very disciplined on working by himself, and really work the drills and take advantage of each rep."

Dexter McCleon is going to be the starting corner this year. Coach Vermeil expressed tremendous confidence in him, and that he is physically, mentally, and emotionally prepared to have a great training camp and season. During 11-on-11 drills McCleon had one interception off quarterback Trent Green.

Linebacker Kris Griffin had a huge play today during 11-on-11 drills. Griffin tossed running back McKenzi Smith to the ground during a rush by flipping him over by the top of his shoulder pads, which drew a big response from the fans and media.

Special Teams

Punter Dustin Colquitt looked consistent today with punts at 35,48,45,50 and 40 yards respectively. Punt returner Dante Hall dropped the last, and longest punt of the day, at 65 yards as he backpedaled sideways, and the crowd gave a big sigh in disbelief from the rail.

Bootlegged
07-28-2005, 09:07 PM
Wednesday, July 28, 2005 Afternoon
K.C. Chiefs Training Camp Daily Updates

The Chiefs opened practice today under cloudy skies. The termpatue was 77 degrees with a dew point of 60 degrees. The wind was blowing from the southwest at 6.2 miles per hour. The clouds looked ominous throughout most of the practice, but luckily there was only a light sprinkle within the first hour. About 315 fans, young and old alike, lined the practice fields to watch the Chiefs in their first practice of the pre-season.

Offense

In 7-on-7 drills Pro-Bowl quarterback Trent Green went seven for nine. Running back Priest Holmes caught two, wide receiver Eddie Kennison caught 2, and wide receiver Richard Smith, Samie Parker , and Tony Richardson each caught one. Richardson also dropped one pass. Kawika Mitchel had a diving interception and the crowd and media oohed and aahed. When asked if Mitchell's season will be a break out, Coach Dick Vermeil replied he "sees that all the way."

Quarterback Todd Collins was four for five in 7-on-7. Running back Dee Brown caught one, tight ends Tony Gonzalez and Kris Wilson both caught one, and wide receiver John Booth snagged a pass. Dante Hall dropped one pass from Collins.

Quarterback Damon Huard went three for four in 7-on-7 drills. Jeris McIntyre caught one and dropped one. Running back Ronnie Cruz pulled in two.

In 11-on-11 drills, quarterback Trent Green was five for eight. Running back Priest Holmes caught two and dropped one. Holmes proceeded to drop to the ground for ten push-ups. Running back Larry Johnson caught one and received a shovel pass. Wide receiver Samie Parker had a reverse. Tight end Tony Gonzalez and wide receiver Dante Hall both caught one. Starting cornerback Dexter McCleon had an interception.

Quarterback Todd Collins was three for five in 11-on-11 drills. Wide receiver John Booth caught two. Running back McKenzi Smith caught one.

Quarterback Damon Huard went four for five in 11-on-11 drills. Running back Samkon Gado caught one and, wide receivers Dante Hall and John Booth both caught one.

During the special team drills, tight end Tony Gonzalez spent his time catching passes on the otherpractice fields. Quarterbacks were also working on their foot work at this time, and wide receiver Freddie Mitchell was seen running.

During 7-on-9 drills running back Larry Johnson had some impressive breakthroughs through the line. Running back Dee Brown also had some great reps and had the crowd cheering for him, "Way to go."

Tight end Jason Dunn talked of team spirit after today's practice. Asked if his role with the team has changed this year, he responded with, "I'm a team player. I do whatever they need me to do. Even if they want me to go ahead and kick the ball, I'll do it." He mentioned he wants to do his part and contribute in any way possible to help win games.

Guard Will Shields was taking it real slow today in practice, due to his back bothering him. Coach Vermeil said that during training camp, coaches are "going to be patient with his preparation."

Coach Dick Vermeil seemed impressed with Priest Holmes today during nine-on-seven drills. He was heard yelling from the sidelines, "That a way Priest," as Holmes used his speed and fast footwork to break through the middle.

Defense

Linebackers Mike Maslowski and Scott Fujita did not practice today. Fujita is overcoming right ankle surgery and Maslowski left knee surgery. During half-speed drills they both acted as running backs and quarterbacks to help the defense react to the runner. Both players also stayed after practice to get a quick workout in, running drills. Coach Vermeil said that they are not playing because they didn't pass their physicals yet. Both players will be working them out independently with their trainers.

Shawn Barber did not practice today but did an independent workout, still rebounding from his left knee ACL surgery.

Free agent DeWayne Washington , who the Chiefs signed to a one-year contract, practiced today. Washington, who played with the Jacksonville Jaguars last season was a former first round draft pick in 1994 with the Minnesota Vikings and has played in over 175 career games.

Cornerback Eric Warfield worked the field rotating around with the second string defensive line. Normally Warfield does not play special teams, but due to his suspension, other players are filling his spot to get a feel because he will not be in for the first four games. Coach Vermeil said "usually players don't lose their starting position due to injury or suspension. Because he is gone, it gives somebody a heck of an advantage to get all of the work in. Eric has to be very disciplined on working by himself, and really work the drills and take advantage of each rep."

Dexter McCleon is going to be the starting corner this year. Coach Vermeil expressed tremendous confidence in him, and that he is physically, mentally, and emotionally prepared to have a great training camp and season. During 11-on-11 drills McCleon had one interception off quarterback Trent Green.

Linebacker Kris Griffin had a huge play today during 11-on-11 drills. Griffin tossed running back McKenzi Smith to the ground during a rush by flipping him over by the top of his shoulder pads, which drew a big response from the fans and media.

Special Teams

Punter Dustin Colquitt looked consistent today with punts at 35,48,45,50 and 40 yards respectively. Punt returner Dante Hall dropped the last, and longest punt of the day, at 65 yards as he backpedaled sideways, and the crowd gave a big sigh in disbelief from the rail.

I hope the author was dreamin' when he wrote this.

milkman
07-28-2005, 09:11 PM

Who the hell is the author?

The only thing I really got out of all of this, is that Colquitt might be a hell of a punter.

And where was FredUp at?

CHIEF4EVER
07-28-2005, 09:16 PM

:drool: I like this Colquitt kid. We may have a keepah.

J Diddy
07-28-2005, 09:16 PM
OKAY, OKAY, OKAY

I waited all freaking summer through the signing of Bell, the trade for Surtain, the signing of Knight, the trade for Carlos Hall, and the drafting of Derrick Johnson.

All I get is "Linebacker Kris Griffin had a huge play today during 11-on-11 drills. Griffin tossed running back McKenzi Smith"

Who in the shit is Kris Griffin and who in the shit is Mckenzi Smith

TRR
07-28-2005, 09:18 PM
OKAY, OKAY, OKAY

I waited all freaking summer through the signing of Bell, the trade for Surtain, the signing of Knight, the trade for Carlos Hall, and the drafting of Derrick Johnson.

All I get is "Linebacker Kris Griffin had a huge play today during 11-on-11 drills. Griffin tossed running back McKenzi Smith"

Yeah, they aren't exactly talent scouts at River Falls. But it's better than nothing. Every time I go to read one of these updates, I hold my breath and pray that x player didn't get hurt, etc.

tk13
07-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Ahh, training camp updates are finally here. As well as the usual complaining. But as far as I know, I don't think a lot of NFL camp sites even do updates like this, so it's far far better than nothing.

Punt returner Dante Hall dropped the last, and longest punt of the day, at 65 yards as he backpedaled sideways, and the crowd gave a big sigh in disbelief from the rail

Holy crap.

TRR
07-28-2005, 09:24 PM
I don't think I've ever heard of a 65 yard ANGLED punt.

Whew.

Big Chief Homer
07-28-2005, 09:33 PM
OKAY, OKAY, OKAY

Kris griffin is a fa LBer.In the last interview i read from gun he really likes the kid.he says he reminds him alot of DJ.He says they move the same way.CP also said the same thing in his interview on sirius sat radio.

Mckenzie smith is actually Jonathon Smith that played in NFLEL this past year.he was on the team lsat year.He was actually the third RB for the San Diego Game.

I watched him play in NFLEL last year,the kid can play.

jiveturkey
07-28-2005, 09:47 PM
:clap:

And so it begins.

The updates will get better once they put on the pads and start getting tired. The media will probably pick out a favorite that we'll get to follow closely as well (Kris Wilson).

TEX
07-28-2005, 10:52 PM
Dexter McCleon is going to be the starting corner this year. Coach Vermeil expressed tremendous confidence in him, and that he is physically, mentally, and emotionally prepared to have a great training camp and season.

YIKES! The first 4 games will be very long. :(

Manila-Chief
07-29-2005, 12:16 AM

I had the same reaction ... cept I didn't highlight the quote of our starting CB.

I agree that these updates are okay. Some years they are better than others.... I think some years they actually have students who know football. But, for those of us looking for solid info this was almost a waste of time...

Yea, the 65 yard punt stuff was nice to read.

SoCalBronco
07-29-2005, 12:20 AM
Richard Smith seemed pretty impressive last year in the preseason, especially in the NY Giants game. I think he will make the team.

J Diddy
07-29-2005, 12:22 AM
Kris griffin is a fa LBer.In the last interview i read from gun he really likes the kid.he says he reminds him alot of DJ.He says they move the same way.CP also said the same thing in his interview on sirius sat radio.

Mckenzie smith is actually Jonathon Smith that played in NFLEL this past year.he was on the team lsat year.He was actually the third RB for the San Diego Game.

I watched him play in NFLEL last year,the kid can play.

Regardless.

I didn't tune in for smith and griffin.

I was ready for Surtain to knock some dick in the dirt, not some fa acquistion bs

Rudy lost the toss
07-29-2005, 01:17 AM
only two of odd Todd's 7 completions on the day were to the RB :eek:

Reaper16
07-29-2005, 01:43 AM
only two of odd Todd's 7 completions on the day were to the RB :eek:

1st day overachievement. He'll get over it.

the Talking Can
07-29-2005, 07:28 AM
I heard a clip of DV's press conference, he said that Dexter would be the starting CB for the first 4 games.

Unbelievable...he didn't hesitate and he didn't mention any other CBs.

This means one of two things: DV is senile or Gun doesn't have control of his defense.

It's amazing the way they tolerate shitty play on defense. Morton cut but McCleon starts. AAAAAAAarghhhhh....oh ****, we knew this was coming anyway...the sad truth is that McCleon may be the best CB until Warfield gets back.

Too bad there won't be competition during camp to find that out.