PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Mitchell grabs attention

tk13
07-29-2005, 01:42 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/12250555.htm

Mitchell grabs attention

Linebacker makes interception, lifts defensive spirits

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

RIVER FALLS, Wis. — It was but one measly play and might be long forgotten as Chiefs training camp rolls on.

But for one day, it was more than enough to provide encouragement to a defense sorely in need. The first big defensive play of camp Thursday was provided not by a big-money newcomer such as Patrick Surtain, Sammy Knight or Kendrell Bell but someone just as important in his own way.

Middle linebacker Kawika Mitchell, showing keen anticipation, jumped into a passing lane, intercepted a Trent Green pass intended for Freddie Mitchell and set out for the end zone the other way.

That set off a minor celebration and brought a smile to some weary faces.

“That play is indicative of the improvement trend around here,” said defensive end Eric Hicks, one of the weariest of those faces. “Kawika is a prime example of what’s happening. He’s a guy who had to play early, got thrown into the fire and got baptized by fire in some pretty big games and pretty big situations.

“Now he understands how to play football and how to prepare better and where he’s supposed to be.”

It may be early to declare Mitchell an improved player, though he had a nice opening practice. He was a consistent factor in the running game. The offense stretched the running game from sideline to sideline but never could shake Mitchell’s presence.

Still, Hicks’ optimism is easy to understand. He’s been around long enough to have played on some solid defenses and with premier players such as Derrick Thomas, James Hasty and Dale Carter.

He took the fall of the defense harder than most, his frustration occasionally boiling over when he would erupt at a teammate or reporter.

It makes sense, then, that Hicks was cheered like few others when the Chiefs got serious about repairing their defense. As they added one piece after another — first linebacker Bell, then safety Knight, cornerback Surtain and finally linebacker Derrick Johnson — Hicks found it harder and harder to contain his enthusiasm.

“That whole thing energized me,” he said. “It lets you know management and (owner Lamar) Hunt are really committed to winning. They gave us a chance to go out and make some real improvement.

“It’s exciting. They paid a lot of money for those guys, and they brought them here for a reason. Everybody is really keyed in, really concentrating. Our mental mistakes were way down from where they used to be.”

That Mitchell was the early star makes things that much sweeter. Mitchell was a considerable part of the defensive problem last year and appeared to be one of the weak links heading into camp.

That’s why the Chiefs won’t look at Mitchell’s interception as just one insignificant play.

“Every play means something, even in training camp,” Knight said. “That’s whether you make a mistake or make a big play. If you make a mistake, you grow from it. You make a great play, you’ve got to do it again the next time. We expect things like that out of Kawika. We need him to make plays like that all the time.”

The Chiefs are racing the clock, trying to fit together so many new parts in a short period of time. The Sept. 11 regular-season opener against the Jets at Arrowhead is followed by games against Oakland, Denver and Philadelphia, meaning the Chiefs’ margin for error is little in the first month of the year.

“We’ve got to be ready for the first game because we have no option,” Knight said. “Nobody’s going to feel sorry for the Chiefs if we’re not ready to play against the Jets.”

Coach Dick Vermeil didn’t sound concerned. He considered three weeks of training camp and three more weeks of practice in Kansas City plenty of time to straighten out any problems.

“I don’t think it’s a problem,” Vermeil said. “It’s easy to write about and talk about, but there’s so many (offseason practices) and meetings that we line up and practice today as if we’ve been practicing for two weeks. It’s different than it used to be when you didn’t have all that time with your players.”

Yet, after an encouraging first day, some are considering that race against time to be the Chiefs’ main problem.

“The sky is the limit for us if you’re talking about the talent on this team,” Surtain said. “We have so many playmakers on defense. We’ve just got to put it together and get it done on the field. Anytime you can bring in a Derrick Johnson and a Kendrell Bell, you’ve improved your team. Those guys are football players.”

Logical
07-29-2005, 01:53 AM
Wow I suppose any positive defensive Chiefs news is great to hear, but that is a lot of hoopla over one Training Camp interception.

Rausch
07-29-2005, 02:09 AM
Wow I suppose any positive defensive Chiefs news is great to hear, but that is a lot of hoopla over one Training Camp interception.

Wow, is it Jesse Haynes time already?...

jspchief
07-29-2005, 06:10 AM
Green threw an interception? OMG our offense has gotten old and worn out !!!eleven11!!won!!1

nmt1
07-29-2005, 06:26 AM
I heard on the Planet that Kawika Mitchell sucks. Someone needs to hold Carl accountable.

ptlyon
07-29-2005, 07:27 AM
Still, Hicks’ optimism is easy to understand. He’s been around long enough to have played on some solid defenses and with premier players such as Derrick Thomas, James Hasty and Dale Carter.

He took the fall of the defense harder than most, his frustration occasionally boiling over when he would erupt at a teammate or reporter.

It makes sense, then, that Hicks was cheered like few others when the Chiefs got serious about repairing their defense. As they added one piece after another — first linebacker Bell, then safety Knight, cornerback Surtain and finally linebacker Derrick Johnson — Hicks found it harder and harder to contain his enthusiasm.

“That whole thing energized me,” he said. “It lets you know management and (owner Lamar) Hunt are really committed to winning. They gave us a chance to go out and make some real improvement.

Guess what Eric - it should have started with you.

With you cut.

the Talking Can
07-29-2005, 07:29 AM
'That set off a minor celebration and brought a smile to some weary faces."

Huh? It's the first day of camp.

ptlyon
07-29-2005, 07:39 AM
Huh? It's the first day of camp.

We're old and worn out, remember?

RedThat
07-29-2005, 07:48 AM
What I find funny about this article, is, the title says "Teicher: Mitchell grabs attention" Then they'll show stuff like this:

Chiefs running back Priest Holmes turned the corner past the outstretched arms of linebacker Kawika Mitchell, during drills on the team's first day of training camp.

ROYC75
07-29-2005, 07:52 AM
WOW :eek: Mitchell gets a meaningless INT on the 1st day of TC..........

Yo can print the playoff tickets boys and girls.......

ROYC75
07-29-2005, 07:54 AM
What I find funny about this article, is, the title says "Teicher: Mitchell grabs attention" Then they'll show stuff like this:

Chiefs running back Priest Holmes turned the corner past the outstretched arms of linebacker Kawika Mitchell, during drills on the team's first day of training camp.

( Mitchell ) Ooops , I missed him........

( Fans ) Just like old times........ :rolleyes:

jspchief
07-29-2005, 07:54 AM
WOW :eek: Mitchell gets a meaningless INT on the 1st day of TC..........

No kidding. It's certainly no pre-season tackle...

kc rush
07-29-2005, 08:01 AM
Is Hicks the easiest interview on defense, the official spokesman for the D? It seems like there are always quotes from him in the paper and you always hear him on the radio.

It seems to me if you are going to single out a play by Mitchell, you might interview him instead of Hicks. Just my opinion, but I'm not a reporter...

(Wait for it)

...but then again, neither is Teicher

htismaqe
07-29-2005, 08:04 AM

It wasn't just one INT. Read the part about the stretch running game...

the Talking Can
07-29-2005, 08:04 AM

a picture is worth a 1000 words

htismaqe
07-29-2005, 08:05 AM

ROFL

ROYC75
07-29-2005, 08:13 AM
It may be early to declare Mitchell an improved player, though he had a nice opening practice. He was a consistent factor in the running game. The offense stretched the running game from sideline to sideline but never could shake Mitchell’s presence.

Oh how wonderful.......... all last preseason and during the 1st 12 games of the regular season, he was basically nowhere to be found around the ball. We had a kid last year doing this just in TC and preseason but it takes Mitchell damn near a whole year to figure this out..........Yep, he's a slow learner.

the Talking Can
07-29-2005, 08:16 AM
Oh how wonderful.......... all last preseason and during the 1st 12 games of the regular season, he was basically nowhere to be found around the ball. We had a kid last year doing this just in TC and preseason but it takes Mitchell damn near a whole year to figure this out..........Yep, he's a slow learner.

I heard that Boomer was second on the depth chart at MLB (seriously).

How does that make Scanlon feel?

htismaqe
07-29-2005, 08:18 AM
Ah, training camp.

As soon as we get to the preseason games, we can look forward to more outlandish proclamations from the Roys.

jspchief
07-29-2005, 08:19 AM
How does that make Scanlon feel? I'm guessing "warm and moist" is how Scanlon feels on the spot that Roy's attached to.

dirk digler
07-29-2005, 08:28 AM
I heard on the Planet that Kawika Mitchell sucks. Someone needs to hold Carl accountable.

Until he proves it on game day he still sucks.

ROYC75
07-29-2005, 08:28 AM
I heard that Boomer was second on the depth chart at MLB (seriously).

How does that make Scanlon feel?

And your source would be ? :hmmm:

Can't wait to hear this one........... Hurry up will ya ?

keg in kc
07-29-2005, 08:30 AM
And your source would beI've heard on four or five separate radio shows since the start of yesterday's practice that Boomer is running with the second team.

Not that that matters that much on the first day of practice.

ChiTown
07-29-2005, 08:30 AM

You silly! You know that all qualified information comes from Nick Athan.......

Electric
07-29-2005, 08:31 AM
I'm guessing that the "optimistic" fans of KC are already writing off the season.

The questions I would be asking is: Has the past experience seasoned Mitchell to a point that he will not repeat poor performances. I'd prefer to think that Hicks might be right, he has learned some valueable lessons and has turned the corner.

With Green throwing an int. early in TC. It's the first days of TC, I'd guess that everyone is a little off sync from last year. Give them time to tune up.

I'm still looking for the SB this year.

the Talking Can
07-29-2005, 08:32 AM

Interview with Moss-zilla yesterday. She didn't go into any detail, just said Boomer was 2nd and didnt mention Scanlon.

Electric
07-29-2005, 08:32 AM

I heard that Boomer was #2 last night on 610 am. You should be able to find it on 610.com or whatever their website is.

beavis
07-29-2005, 08:34 AM
Ah, training camp.

As soon as we get to the preseason games, we can look forward to more outlandish proclamations from the Roys.
ROFL

You know it's football season when...

ROYC75
07-29-2005, 08:35 AM
I've heard on four or five separate radio shows since the start of yesterday's practice that Boomer is running with the second team.

Not that that matters that much on the first day of practice.

Oh boy, the media ........ whoo hooooooo........

FTR, Boomer was running 2nd string OTA's because he was all we had for MLB in OTA's other than Mitchell. When Rich got back, they gave him time off for the body to rest up.

The 2nd string MLB position is wide open for either to take. My money is on Rich.

KCTitus
07-29-2005, 08:37 AM
LOL...the drumbeat continues.

Saulbadguy
07-29-2005, 08:39 AM
You mean assisted tackle.

ROYC75
07-29-2005, 08:41 AM
LOL...the drumbeat continues.

You expect anything less ?

I didn't , I knew you guys had it in ya .:D

keg in kc
07-29-2005, 08:44 AM
Oh boy, the media ........ whoo hooooooo........

FTR, Boomer was running 2nd string OTA's because he was all we had for MLB in OTA's other than Mitchell. When Rich got back, they gave him time off for the body to rest up.

The 2nd string MLB position is wide open for either to take. My money is on Rich.You asked a question. I gave you an answer. I don't see a need to go beyond that.

ROYC75
07-29-2005, 08:51 AM
The media's opinions over Gun's or DV's comments are 2 different stories.

I place very little value on what is written in the paper or mentioned on the local KC radios.

Saulbadguy
07-29-2005, 08:53 AM
Scanlon is still on the roster?

KCTitus
07-29-2005, 08:54 AM
I place very little value on what is written in the paper or mentioned on the local KC radios.

Duh! It's preseason games that tell the story.

ptlyon
07-29-2005, 08:55 AM
Scanlon is still on the roster?

Hard to tell - haven't read his name in anything I've read from the reports from training camp.

Might not have practiced yesterday due to a hangnail or something.

ROYC75
07-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Duh! It's preseason games that tell the story.

Does preseason game play merit more than a TC play ?

Can ya wiggle out of that one ? :hmmm:

bringbackmarty
07-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Mitchell will surprise a few this year, If he doesn't do it right away though, it'll be bell in the middle.
by the end of october it'll be johnson, bell, barber.

keg in kc
07-29-2005, 09:01 AM
The media's opinions over Gun's or DV's comments are 2 different stories.

I place very little value on what is written in the paper or mentioned on the local KC radios.What opinion?

The only subjective voice so far is yours. You're trying to argue against something which isn't open to interpretation. Boomer was playing with the second team yesterday. That's a fact, one that has been confirmed by a number of independent sources. There's no opinion involved in reading a depth chart or seeing which player is on the field with which unit.

If you want to read more into that, that's on you. As I said, I don't see a need to go beyond the simple fact.

KCTitus
07-29-2005, 09:02 AM
Does preseason game play merit more than a TC play ?

Can ya wiggle out of that one ? :hmmm:

Does regular season game play merit more than preseason game play.

Set. Match.

:rolleyes:

ROYC75
07-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Does regular season game play merit more than preseason game play.

Set. Match.

:rolleyes:

The second I submitted the post, I knew what your response would be....

Oh well..... I still feel Scanlon out played Mitchell last year in preseason.

This year, it's Mitchells job to lose, he's had a whole year in Gun's scheme, Gun has said many times it takes time to fully understand his scheme. Maybe Mitchell can excell into what DV thinks he will be, he did show improvement the last 4 games last year.

As for the 2nd string stuff right now, who cares, it's going to come down on who plays better who doesn't. It's wide open to who the backups are going to be in all the teams positions.

For the Boomer lovers, enjoy it......... IMHO, I don't see him beating Rich out for the backup position this year. FTR, we know that Mitchell better play better or somebody else will have his spot.

FTR, let's not argue about who is better, 2nd string, etc....... let the player decide that by their play on the field.

TEX
07-29-2005, 09:25 AM
Not gonna believe anything good about Mitchell until I see it with my own eyes. I remember hearing good things about Bartee and others as well. :shake:

bobbything
07-29-2005, 09:25 AM
I'll wait to see how he does later on in training camp once the offense starts practicing the plays that they're going to actually use during games, rather than simple slant patterns and dummy draws.

It's nice to hear that this defense has confidence but this article is a little premature.

redbrian
07-29-2005, 09:26 AM
One positive headline and a couple of positive sentences about Mitchell and the boo birds come out squawking.

So we now know that nothing positive can be written about Mitchell anything in the press (whether written or spoken) must be that he sucks.

Just out of curiosity what other areas are out of bounds to positive reporting, the whole defense or anyone associated with the defense, or do the new guys get some slack?

jspchief
07-29-2005, 09:30 AM
One positive headline and a couple of positive sentences about Mitchell and the boo birds come out squawking.

So we now know that nothing positive can be written about Mitchell anything in the press (whether written or spoken) must be that he sucks.

Just out of curiosity what other areas are out of bounds to positive reporting, the whole defense or anyone associated with the defense, or do the new guys get some slack?Sorry Mrs. Mitchell, we'll try harder to coddle your son in the future.

KC Kings
07-29-2005, 09:32 AM
WTF do you guys want? Would you rather not have a single football artical be written until Sept. 11th since nothing matters until regular season?

I agree that one training camp INT doesn't mean squat in the grand scheme of things, but they have to find something to write about so people like us having something to read in the bathroom.

Senseless pre-season stories, ridiculous mock drafts, and 4 hours a day spent searching profiles and memorizing player stats for FFL leagues are just a few of the way time is wasted between regular season games.

Traveller
07-29-2005, 09:33 AM
Blah...blah scanlon's great...boomer's great. The wind-up repeating robots sure make people miss some of the other things in the article.

“Every play means something, even in training camp,” Knight said. “That’s whether you make a mistake or make a big play. If you make a mistake, you grow from it. You make a great play, you’ve got to do it again the next time. We expect things like that out of Kawika. We need him to make plays like that all the time.”

I really like this quote by Sammy. That's a leader. He's the commander on the field and letting everyone know he has high expectations. Especially Kawika.

Nice to have some smart leadership on the D again.

ChiTown
07-29-2005, 09:35 AM
WTF do you guys want? Would you rather not have a single football artical be written until Sept. 11th since nothing matters until regular season?

I agree that one training camp INT doesn't mean squat in the grand scheme of things, but they have to find something to write about so people like us having something to read in the bathroom.

Senseless pre-season stories, ridiculous mock drafts, and 4 hours a day spent searching profiles and memorizing player stats for FFL leagues are just a few of the way time is wasted between regular season games.

:clap:

You got that right......

KCTitus
07-29-2005, 09:37 AM
Hey...Im not wind up robot, I have a pull string.

jspchief
07-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Hey...Im not wind up robot, I have a pull string.I'm 9 volt biatch. Fear my repetitive rhetoric.

ROYC75
07-29-2005, 09:45 AM
At least you guys are robots......... I'm a damn string puppet.

Saulbadguy
07-29-2005, 09:45 AM
The second I submitted the post, I knew what your response would be....

Oh well..... I still feel Scanlon out played Mitchell last year in preseason.

This year, it's Mitchells job to lose, he's had a whole year in Gun's scheme, Gun has said many times it takes time to fully understand his scheme. Maybe Mitchell can excell into what DV thinks he will be, he did show improvement the last 4 games last year.

As for the 2nd string stuff right now, who cares, it's going to come down on who plays better who doesn't. It's wide open to who the backups are going to be in all the teams positions.

For the Boomer lovers, enjoy it......... IMHO, I don't see him beating Rich out for the backup position this year. FTR, we know that Mitchell better play better or somebody else will have his spot.

FTR, let's not argue about who is better, 2nd string, etc....... let the player decide that by their play on the field.
This is gonna be a great training camp. :)

CosmicPal
07-29-2005, 09:46 AM

Just out of curiosity what other areas are out of bounds to positive reporting, the whole defense or anyone associated with the defense, or do the new guys get some slack?

Geez, did somebody piss on your birthday cake?

The defense has been so bad for so long, it's what EVERY reporter across the globe wants to know- is this going to be a better defense? So, any time they make a defensive play during the camp, during the preseason games, during the practices- it's going to get nods over a 100 yard return by Dante Hall. Enjoy it while it lasts- and hopefully for the sake of all of us- it will last throughout the entire season....

KCTitus
07-29-2005, 09:49 AM
Uh oh...I think we have a problem. I was just breaking down the game film on uwrf's website about the practice and Im pretty sure that I saw Sims back in coverage in one shot. #30, I believe...

Damn that Gunther, running the spinner in TC!

the Talking Can
07-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Uh oh...I think we have a problem. I was just breaking down the game film on uwrf's website about the practice and Im pretty sure that I saw Sims back in coverage in one shot. #30, I believe...

Damn that Gunther, running the spinner in TC!

that was his ass....Sims was technically on the line of scrimage...