PDA

View Full Version : DV declares MCCleon the starter for the opener

BigRedChief
07-29-2005, 06:21 AM
http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/prev_updates?pa...=07-28-05pm.htm (http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/prev_updates?page=2&Files=07-28-05pm.htm)

Dexter McCleon is going to be the starting corner this year. Coach Vermeil expressed tremendous confidence in him, and that he is physically, mentally, and emotionally prepared to have a great training camp and season.

This is the kind of chit that just pisses me off, DV's loyalty getting in the way of what is best for the team. He even went further and said it was going to be hard to pull him for Warfield when he gets back.

Why would you annoint McCleon the starter for opening day on the first day of camp? What does that say to Sapp who may have worked harder to get that starting spot? What about the 30 something corners? Do they phone it in now because they know they are a back up?

DV needs to relook at the Jacksonville game, the final 2 mintues or so when Mr. McCleon looked as bad as Bartee ever looked. Let the play on the training camp field decide not what they did in 1999.

4th and Long
07-29-2005, 06:22 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

tomahawk kid
07-29-2005, 06:23 AM
Vermiel says alot of assanine sh!t.

I wouldn't worry about it until you see McNugget lined up across from Surtain on 9/11.

nmt1
07-29-2005, 06:25 AM
So you guys think you know more about who should play corner than Vermiel?

Saulbadguy
07-29-2005, 06:27 AM
Are you kidding me? The collective genious of Chiefsplanet knows how to own and operate the Chiefs organization better than Dick and Carl! Fargin n00b!
:)

KCJake
07-29-2005, 06:28 AM
Vermiel says alot of assanine sh!t.

I wouldn't worry about it until you see McNugget lined up across from Surtain on 9/11.
Agreed. There's not even a direct quote from Vermeil saying McCleon is the opening day starter.

The statement is coming from the mouth of a 17 year old River Falls "reporter"

BigChiefFan
07-29-2005, 06:30 AM
I haven't seen anybody proclaim to know more, but anybody with half a wit, knows it would be best to actually see the players perform before handing the starting job to somebody who played like shit last year. Nothing wrong with Vermeil showing confidence in a player, but proclaiming him the starter before training camp is bordering on idiocy.

BigRedChief
07-29-2005, 06:32 AM
http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/prev_updates?page=2&Files=07-28-05pm.htm

You guys check out that link. The frigging college newspaper has more Chiefs info in it than the Star.

Wednesday, July 28, 2005 Afternoon
K.C. Chiefs Training Camp Daily Updates
The Chiefs opened practice today under cloudy skies. The termpatue was 77 degrees with a dew point of 60 degrees. The wind was blowing from the southwest at 6.2 miles per hour. The clouds looked ominous throughout most of the practice, but luckily there was only a light sprinkle within the first hour. About 315 fans, young and old alike, lined the practice fields to watch the Chiefs in their first practice of the pre-season.
Offense
In 7-on-7 drills Pro-Bowl quarterback Trent Green went seven for nine. Running back Priest Holmes caught two, wide receiver Eddie Kennison caught 2, and wide receiver Richard Smith, Samie Parker , and Tony Richardson each caught one. Richardson also dropped one pass. Kawika Mitchel had a diving interception and the crowd and media oohed and aahed. When asked if Mitchell's season will be a break out, Coach Dick Vermeil replied he "sees that all the way."
Quarterback Todd Collins was four for five in 7-on-7. Running back Dee Brown caught one, tight ends Tony Gonzalez and Kris Wilson both caught one, and wide receiver John Booth snagged a pass. Dante Hall dropped one pass from Collins.
Quarterback Damon Huard went three for four in 7-on-7 drills. Jeris McIntyre caught one and dropped one. Running back Ronnie Cruz pulled in two.
In 11-on-11 drills, quarterback Trent Green was five for eight. Running back Priest Holmes caught two and dropped one. Holmes proceeded to drop to the ground for ten push-ups. Running back Larry Johnson caught one and received a shovel pass. Wide receiver Samie Parker had a reverse. Tight end Tony Gonzalez and wide receiver Dante Hall both caught one. Starting cornerback Dexter McCleon had an interception.
Quarterback Todd Collins was three for five in 11-on-11 drills. Wide receiver John Booth caught two. Running back McKenzi Smith caught one.
Quarterback Damon Huard went four for five in 11-on-11 drills. Running back Samkon Gado caught one and, wide receivers Dante Hall and John Booth both caught one.
During the special team drills, tight end Tony Gonzalez spent his time catching passes on the otherpractice fields. Quarterbacks were also working on their foot work at this time, and wide receiver Freddie Mitchell was seen running.
During 7-on-9 drills running back Larry Johnson had some impressive breakthroughs through the line. Running back Dee Brown also had some great reps and had the crowd cheering for him, "Way to go."
Tight end Jason Dunn talked of team spirit after today's practice. Asked if his role with the team has changed this year, he responded with, "I'm a team player. I do whatever they need me to do. Even if they want me to go ahead and kick the ball, I'll do it." He mentioned he wants to do his part and contribute in any way possible to help win games.
Guard Will Shields was taking it real slow today in practice, due to his back bothering him. Coach Vermeil said that during training camp, coaches are "going to be patient with his preparation."
Coach Dick Vermeil seemed impressed with Priest Holmes today during nine-on-seven drills. He was heard yelling from the sidelines, "That a way Priest," as Holmes used his speed and fast footwork to break through the middle.
Players catching balls off the jugs following practice included running back Dee Brown and wideouts John Booth , Darrell Hill , and Jeris McIntyre.
Defense
Linebackers Mike Maslowski and Scott Fujita did not practice today. Fujita is overcoming right ankle surgery and Maslowski left knee surgery. During half-speed drills they both acted as running backs and quarterbacks to help the defense react to the runner. Both players also stayed after practice to get a quick workout in, running drills. Coach Vermeil said that they are not playing because they didn't pass their physicals yet. Both players will be working them out independently with their trainers.
Shawn Barber did not practice today but did an independent workout, still rebounding from his left knee ACL surgery.
Free agent DeWayne Washington , who the Chiefs signed to a one-year contract, practiced today. Washington, who played with the Jacksonville Jaguars last season was a former first round draft pick in 1994 with the Minnesota Vikings and has played in over 175 career games.
Cornerback Eric Warfield worked the field rotating around with the second string defensive line. Normally Warfield does not play special teams, but due to his suspension, other players are filling his spot to get a feel because he will not be in for the first four games. Coach Vermeil said "usually players don't lose their starting position due to injury or suspension. Because he is gone, it gives somebody a heck of an advantage to get all of the work in. Eric has to be very disciplined on working by himself, and really work the drills and take advantage of each rep."
Dexter McCleon is going to be the starting corner this year. Coach Vermeil expressed tremendous confidence in him, and that he is physically, mentally, and emotionally prepared to have a great training camp and season. During 11-on-11 drills McCleon had one interception off quarterback Trent Green.
Linebacker Kris Griffin had a huge play today during 11-on-11 drills. Griffin tossed running back McKenzi Smith to the ground during a rush by flipping him over by the top of his shoulder pads, which drew a big response from the fans and media.
Special Teams
Punter Dustin Colquitt looked consistent today with punts at 35,48,45,50 and 40 yards respectively. Punt returner Dante Hall dropped the last, and longest punt of the day, at 65 yards as he backpedaled sideways, and the crowd gave a big sigh in disbelief from the rail.
Fans
Pete Brettingen , 13, comes to Summer Training Camp from Waconia, Minn., because he loves football! Brettingen's favorite Chiefs players are Priest Holmes, Trent Green and Tony Gonzales. He also goes to the Green Bay Packers camp each year across the state in DePere, but enjoys the Chiefs camp since he "can get closer to the players."
The Sefrit family, residents of Iowa, attended their first Summer Training Camp this year. Frank, Diane, Jarek, Kolten, Quentin, Brennan and Macie are staying in town until Saturday. Some of their favorite Chiefs players include Priest Holmes, Trent Green, Derrick Johnson and Dante Hall. Diane strongly believes that the Chiefs "are going to win the Super Bowl this year!"
Twins Brett and Tony Bellesbach, from the Milwaukee area, were excited to be at their first Chiefs Summer Training Camp. The 14-year olds were showing off their "Trent Green" arms on the grass during practice. Coincidently, both have the same favorite player: Priest Holmes .
Ashley and Austin Ramsey, 12 and 10, were riding their bikes around Ramer Field. From Kansas City, the Ramsey family ventured north for a couple of days to experience Wisconsin Dells and then to Chiefs camp. While Ashley's favorite player is Dante Hall, Austin is partial to Priest Holmes.
Mike and Marty Bisacca have "always wanted to come up to see the Chiefs during camp." Residents of Kansas City, the couple was extremely excited that their vacations were scheduled for the same week of camp. The couple is staying in nearby Hudson until Saturday.
Gary Miller of Sheboygan, Wis., is what one might call an NFL training camp aficionado. He has been traveling around to different camps for the last 20 years and has been to Chiefs camps since 1992. When asked how the Chiefs' camp compares to other camps he has been to, Miller replied, "this is the best camp from the standpoint of getting to see the players and getting up close." His favorite part of camp is seeing how everything is done, and getting away. Miller usually stays at camp for one or two days.
A lot of families made their way to camp this evening, including Mike Burghart of Topeka, Kan., his wife Jafawn, and their children Loren, 15, Justin, 11, and Jordan, 8. After hearing what a great time Mike had at camp last year, Mike's brother, Scott Kelly, and his children Ethan, 7, and Adysen, 2, decided to also take their summer vacation in River Falls to watch the Chiefs practice. They will be in town for a few days before heading to Minnesota. And then hopefully back again in time for the Punt, Pass and Kick competition on Saturday.
Kathy Person's brother has been a fan of the Kansas City Chiefs since he was eight years old. Every summer he makes his way to River Falls to watch practice. He couldn't make it this year, but his sister Kathy brought her family to keep him updated. "We'll come up again next summer so my brother can give us the 'full tour.' The kids are in la-la land being this close to the players."
"I want to see Patrick Surtain if he's here," was the reply of Taylor Boykin, 15, when asked who he was most excited to see here at the Chiefs training camp. This is the first year that Boykin, a resident of Kansas City, has been to camp. He's hoping the get a few things signed before he goes home on Saturday.
Extra, Extra....Read all about it!
Coach Vermeil was extremely enthusiastic about the new Knowles locker rooms and training facilities, saying that it was great for the attitudes of players. "It shows that the school and the state of Wisconsin respect the Kansas City Chiefs. They treat them like a pro football team and give them facilities equivalent to a pro football team." When asked if Arrowhead Stadium will ever be renovated, he said, "It will happen; it will have to happen."
After practice today, wide receiver Eddie Kennison worked on resistance training and practiced balance with a back up trainer. After that, he then performed a "superman" ab workout.
After practice, widereceiver Dante Hall played catch with backup quarterback Todd Collins.
Following practice WR Eddie Kennison performed a variety of core exercises with a trainer on the sidelines. Some of the movements included sit-ups and 'supermen'.
An estimated 24 media personnel were scattered on the sidelines attempting to capture a glimpse of what the 2005 team has to offer.
Priest Holmes and Freddie Mitchell went to the sidelines after practice to take pictures with fans and to sign autographs.
Rookie linebacker Boomer Grigsby was pulled over after his first practice for a few questions. "Exciting! It was crazy. You dream of it as a little boy and to finally be out here with the big dogs, it's so inspiring. I had to get over the shock and awe of it, and I respect everyone one of them. And now it's time to go get them."
Grigsby added, "I'm going to assume the role they give me. I'm here to play special teams. I want to try and knock people around in special teams, and I'm going to try and compete at linebacker. If that's the way the path leads me this year, then that's the way it leads me. I'm going to do what I'm told and try to be the best I can be. I'm here to compete."
When asked how he liked River Falls, he responded: "I like River Falls. I'm from the Midwest. Kansas City, Canton, Ill., River Falls, Wis., they all fall in the same middle of the country."
After practice a few of the team staff decided to let loose a bit. Billy Long, assistant strength and conditioning coach, and Lamonte Winston, director of player development, had a series of races across Ramer practice field one. They finally called it quits about a half an hour later.

BigRedChief
07-29-2005, 06:34 AM
Agreed. There's not even a direct quote from Vermeil saying McCleon is the opening day starter.

I heard it on the DA show this morning. They played the full clip. DA was going off on DV for declaring the job settled on day 1 of training camp.

nmt1
07-29-2005, 06:35 AM
I haven't seen anybody proclaim to know more, but anybody with half a wit, knows it would be best to actually see the players perform before handing the starting job to somebody who played like shit last year. Nothing wrong with Vermeil showing confidence in a player, but proclaiming him the starter before training camp is bordering on idiocy.

Come on, McCleon is running with the first team and is the logical one to replace Warfield for the first four games of the season simply because he's been on the team longer than the guys they've brought in. They know more about him.
I'd guess you weren't all that worried about McCleon playing corner after the season before last when he had six picks and played arguably the best season of his career. Our whole secondary sucked last season. That doesn't automatically mean they'll all suck this season.

the Talking Can
07-29-2005, 06:36 AM

Yes.

The real issue is that Gun knows more but apparently DV is making the decision.

I'd like to hear what Gunther thinks about who should start. Gun was brought in because DV doesn't know shit about defense.

nmt1
07-29-2005, 06:38 AM
Yes.

Now that's assinine.

BigChiefFan
07-29-2005, 06:40 AM
Come on, McCleon is running with the first team and is the logical one to replace Warfield for the first four games of the season simply because he's been on the team longer than the guys they've brought in. They know more about him.
I'd guess you weren't all that worried about McCleon playing corner after the season before last when he had six picks and played arguably the best season of his career. Our whole secondary sucked last season. That doesn't automatically mean they'll all suck this season.
If knowing the scheme better than some means you still play like shit(like last year), than to Hell with who knows the scheme better. McCleon was picked on last year and struggled over and over. Alot of players may know the scheme better, I prefer performance and skill over tenure. Besides that, Vermeil should defer to Gunther when it comes to who will or won't start on defense.

Warrior5
07-29-2005, 06:45 AM
I agree that DV apparently said Mc-Me-owned was in fact the starter. I believe he mispoke, and meant to say that as of right now, he is #1 on the depth chart for that position. Why would you annoint a starter the first day of TC?

Of course, I fully expected 610 to run with this.

BigRedChief
07-29-2005, 06:45 AM
Besides that, Vermeil should defer to Gunther when it comes to who will or won't start on defense.

Yeah whats up with that? When we were thrashing his buddies defensive scheme his comments in public were that its the defensive cordinators decision and I support him 100%. Now hes the front guy for the defense when we have Gunther?

Bootlegged
07-29-2005, 06:46 AM
If McCleon is the opening day starter at CB, I'll grudge pump Jamie Pressley on the 50 yard line. I swear, I will. Don't try to stop me.

BigRedChief
07-29-2005, 06:49 AM
I agree that DV apparently said Mc-Me-owned was in fact the starter. I believe he mispoke, and meant to say that as of right now, he is #1 on the depth chart for that position. Why would you annoint a starter the first day of TC?

Yeah like King Carl misspoke when he said only season ticket holders were "Real" Chief fans. I've heard the clip. He was asked who the starter for CB opposite of Surtain on opening day was going to be? Has he decided? Thats when he said the McCleon speech about how great he was and will be.

Skip Towne
07-29-2005, 06:52 AM
Now that's assinine.
Hey, it's the Planet way.

jspchief
07-29-2005, 06:52 AM
So you guys think you know more about who should play corner than Vermiel?Considering the defenses Vermeil has built for KC? Yea, pretty much. :)

nmt1
07-29-2005, 06:54 AM
If knowing the scheme better than some means you still play like shit(like last year), than to Hell with who knows the scheme better. McCleon was picked on last year and struggled over and over. Alot of players may know the scheme better, I prefer performance and skill over tenure. Besides that, Vermeil should defer to Gunther when it comes to who will or won't start on defense.

So this is really a problem with who said what was said. I guess Gunther wasn't interviewed but what if Gunther had said McCleon was the starter. Would you be OK with it then? Also, do you actually believe that Vermiel and Gunther don't talk?
As far as Mcleon's performance last year goes, we all agree that it sucked and we can all agree that the previous years performance wasn't a good indicator of this past years performance. So can't we also agree that maybe this past season may not be a good indicator of what's to come this season?

the Talking Can
07-29-2005, 06:55 AM
Now that's assinine.

lighten up, francis....you shouldn't be using "assinine" till mid-season...

nmt1
07-29-2005, 06:56 AM
Considering the defenses Vermeil has built for KC? Yea, pretty much. :)

Others can pretend that but I never will.

nmt1
07-29-2005, 06:57 AM
lighten up, francis....you shouldn't be using "assinine" till mid-season...

Just trying to point out the obsurdity of your statement.

Sorry about the spelling error.

ROYC75
07-29-2005, 06:57 AM
To be fair here........ Dexter was injured alot last year and still tried to play thru it. The previous year he was a solid corner. We should past judgement this year until we have seen him.

As for the other CB's, they should push him for the job as starter until Warfield gets back. I agree the coaches know him better and have a better feel for the guy, but by no means does this make him the best canidate to win the CB position. It has been mentioned many times that Dexter is the leading player to start for Warfield.......... Training camp will determine this.

One shouldn't get so excited about what they hear or read after the 1st day of TC .........

the Talking Can
07-29-2005, 06:58 AM

You just made DV cry and orgasm at the same time.

alanm
07-29-2005, 06:58 AM
I think everyone here knows more about defense than Vermeil. Even you. I think it's a given that Vermeil don't do defense.

jspchief
07-29-2005, 06:59 AM
So this is really a problem with who said what was said. I guess Gunther wasn't interviewed but what if Gunther had said McCleon was the starter. Would you be OK with it then? Also, do you actually believe that Vermiel and Gunther don't talk?
As far as Mcleon's performance last year goes, we all agree that it sucked and we can all agree that the previous years performance wasn't a good indicator of this past years performance. So can't we also agree that maybe this past season may not be a good indicator of what's to come this season?That's all fine and good if you ignore that the main difference between the last two years was the scheme he played in. McCleon played better in Grob's defense than Gun's, that much is pretty clear.

And to be perfectly honest, McCleon had a lot of picks in '03, but he also got burned non stop all the short routes. He may not have been giving up the bombs like '04, but he was giving up all the 8 yards routes, which ast the end of the day is pretty much just as damaging.

BigRedChief
07-29-2005, 07:00 AM

Pretend that we did have a good defense? :hmmm:

You mean pretend to know more about football than Vermiel? No one really believes that here. At least I would hope not. But....even the greatest coaches of all time have their faults and we all know where DV's fault line lays, loyalty to his coaches and players. Some could argue thats not even a fault.

I think 90% of the Planet loves DV and wants him to stay. We just don't have to agree with everything he says.

Skip Towne
07-29-2005, 07:02 AM
Most of us Planeteers are capable of building the 32nd rated defense in the NFL.

ROYC75
07-29-2005, 07:03 AM

This is probally true....... somebody has to run with the 1st string . Backups need to see who the coaches feel is better than them so they can work harder.

Any position that has a question mark as who the starter is is going to be criticized by the media and fans.............

nmt1
07-29-2005, 07:03 AM
Pretend that we did have a good defense? :hmmm:

You mean pretend to know more about football than Vermiel? No one really believes that here. At least I would hope not. But....even the greatest coaches of all time have their faults and we all know where DV's fault line lays, loyalty to his coaches and players. Some could argue thats not even a fault.

I think 90% of the Planet loves DV and wants him to stay. We just don't have to agree with everything he says.

There are some that believe it. I just had another poster say he knows more about defense than Vermiel. Not my words.

jspchief
07-29-2005, 07:04 AM
Most of us Planeteers are capable of building the 32nd rated defense in the NFL.Skip just hit a walk off grand slam.

BigChiefFan
07-29-2005, 07:04 AM
As far as Mcleon's performance last year goes, we all agree that it sucked and we can all agree that the previous years performance wasn't a good indicator of this past years performance. So can't we also agree that maybe this past season may not be a good indicator of what's to come this season?I respect Gunther's opinion MORE, than Vermeil's when it comes to defense, so yes that would have made a SLIGHT difference, but you are missing the point. The point is annoiting someone the starter before training camp is a bit premature, don't you think?

the Talking Can
07-29-2005, 07:05 AM
Just trying to point out the obsurdity of your statement.

Well, "absurdity" is a word you shouldn't use until the playoffs - or until you spell it correctly....it's football season now, and even the fans need camp to get into proper Fan Shape.

I don't post here to be reasonable. I post hear because I'm excited about the season.

Let's just assume your response to every post will be "assinine" and "obsurd" that way you don't have to bore us by actually posting it 100 times a day. M'kay??

This is the Chiefsplanet. British House of Lords Parliamentary Debates are here. (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld/ldwindx.htm)

nmt1
07-29-2005, 07:05 AM
Skip just hit a walk off grand slam.

He's purposefully missing the point actually.

nmt1
07-29-2005, 07:06 AM
Well, "absurdity" is a word you shouldn't use until the playoffs - or until you spell it correctly....it's football season now, and even the fans need camp to get into proper Fan Shape.

I don't post here to be reasonable. I post hear because I'm excited about the season.

Let's just assume your response to every post will be "assinine" and "obsurd" that way you don't have to bore us by actually posting it 100 times a day. M'kay??

This is the Chiefsplanet. British House of Lords Parliamentary Debates are here. (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld/ldwindx.htm)

Bang on the spelling when you got nothing else. You've been owned.

the Talking Can
07-29-2005, 07:08 AM
Bang on the spelling when you got nothing else. You've been owned.
ROFL

I take it back. Stay.

We'll need you to kick around during the season.

You are the definition of "Panties In A Bunch."

RedThat
07-29-2005, 07:09 AM
So McCleon is starting? Oh boy. Whats the difference between this year and last year, practically nothing. The only difference is, we greatly improved at one CB position, while the other, is still the same old junk.

I expect the same pass defense the first 4 games, as teams will pick on McCleon constantly. Bottomline is, we wont see a significant improvement in our pass defense until Warfield comes back.

jspchief
07-29-2005, 07:09 AM
I think 90% of the Planet loves DV and wants him to stay. Which is pretty laughable considering so far he's been nothing more than an offensive version of the oft vilified Marty, only with a worse winning percentage.

nmt1
07-29-2005, 07:10 AM
I respect Gunther's opinion MORE, than Vermeil's when it comes to defense, so yes that would have made a SLIGHT difference, but you are missing the point. The point is annoiting someone the starter before training camp is a bit premature, don't you think?

So McCleon has been named the starter. Do you think he'll remain the starter if he's outperformed?

nmt1
07-29-2005, 07:11 AM
ROFL

I take it back. Stay.

We'll need you to kick around during the season.

You are the definition of "Panties In A Bunch."

This is the second time I've made you look stupid. I like the moniker KCTitus gave you sometime back, "The Talking Ass." You sure talk more with that than your mouth.

RedThat
07-29-2005, 07:14 AM
To be fair here........ Dexter was injured alot last year and still tried to play thru it. The previous year he was a solid corner. We should past judgement this year until we have seen him.

As for the other CB's, they should push him for the job as starter until Warfield gets back. I agree the coaches know him better and have a better feel for the guy, but by no means does this make him the best canidate to win the CB position. It has been mentioned many times that Dexter is the leading player to start for Warfield.......... Training camp will determine this.

One shouldn't get so excited about what they hear or read after the 1st day of TC .........

You express a pretty good point there ROY. However, the problem with McCleon has practically been his whole career. It's not just what he did with the Kansas City Chiefs, even with the Rams, his whole career has been up and down. He is way too inconsistent.

BigChiefFan
07-29-2005, 07:16 AM
So McCleon has been named the starter. Do you think he'll remain the starter if he's outperformed?
That's the WHOLE point, why annoint him the starter before he even earns it?

jspchief
He's purposefully missing the point actually.What is the point? That we should be excited about McCleon being annointed starter?

If you think you're owning anyone by pointing out that they don't know more about defense than Vermeil, then you need to take a step back and examine how seriously you're taking the comments made in this thread. People aren't happy about a gas can getting an early nod to start for the Chiefs, so they are expressing their displeasure. For some reason, you think it's necessary to come in and set us all straight, but you don't realize that no one gives a f*ck how smart Vermeil is because they still hate McCleon and his automatic 3rd and 9 completion play.

nmt1
You express a pretty good point there ROY. However, the problem with McCleon has practically been his whole career. It's not just what he did with the Kansas City Chiefs, even with the Rams, his whole career has been up and down. He is way too inconsistent.

Now here's a logical arguement.

RedThat
07-29-2005, 07:17 AM

Probably. I hope not. I'm hoping that DV's loyalty doesn't stand in the way. We all know Warfield is waaay better than McCleon.

the Talking Can
07-29-2005, 07:18 AM
What is the point? That we should be excited about McCleon being annointed starter?

If you think you're owning anyone by pointing out that they don't know more about defense than Vermeil, then you need to take a step back and examine how seriously you're taking the comments made in this thread. People aren't happy about a gas can getting an early nod to start for the Chiefs, so they are expressing their displeasure. For some reason, you think it's necessary to come in and set us all straight, but you don't realize that no one gives a f*ck how smart Vermeil is because they still hate McCleon and his automatic 3rd and 9 completion play.

bing

and

o

though I still like "lighten up, francis"

jspchief
So McCleon has been named the starter. Do you think he'll remain the starter if he's outperformed?Probably not.

But it's not like we're totally out of left field on this. We're talking about the coach that didn't even dress Larry Johnson for the first year and a half of his career, and considers Eric Hicks a leader on D.

Chiefnj
Nobody knows Vermeil's exact quote, right? He could have said "Right now McLeon is the starter. I have faith in him, he's familiar with the sytem. The other guys are just getting acclimated."

A reporter could then say Vermeil says McLeon is the starter.

Vermeil has stated many times that he is hands off on the defense; he relies on the DC. If people want to get mad at someone get mad at Gunther if McLeon ends up starting.

jspchief
07-29-2005, 07:24 AM

Vermeil has stated many times that he is hands off on the defense; he relies on the DC. Impossible. Vermeil is a defensive genius.

RedThat
07-29-2005, 07:24 AM
Nobody knows Vermeil's exact quote, right? He could have said "Right now McLeon is the starter. I have faith in him, he's familiar with the sytem. The other guys are just getting acclimated."

Vermeil has stated many times that he is hands off on the defense; he relies on the DC. If people want to get mad at someone get mad at Gunther if McLeon ends up starting.

I disagree. Why should we get mad at Gunther? If anything, we should be upset at Vermeil. If you think about it, Vermeil is the head coach, Gunther is the defensive co-ordinator. Who holds the upper hand between those 2 positions? Technically speaking, who has more authority? You know the answer to those questions. It's that simple.

*I don't believe half the stuff Vermeil says. He's like a politician, he baffles like crazy, and is a huge spin doctor.

nmt1
07-29-2005, 07:25 AM
What is the point? That we should be excited about McCleon being annointed starter?

One poster specifically said he knows more about NFL defense than Vermiel. They're not my words, they're his. He didn't clarify it with smilies or faux html code or anything else so I have to assume he's serious. If he's serious, then he's also delusional.
It sounds stupid to me to discount a player just because you hate him and the way he performed last year.

the Talking Can
07-29-2005, 07:26 AM
One poster specifically said he knows more about NFL defense than Vermiel. They're not my words, they're his. He didn't clarify it with smilies or faux html code or anything else so I have to assume he's serious. If he's serious, then he's also delusional.
It sounds stupid to me to discount a player just because you hate him and the way he performed last year.

Are you a robot?

"Does not compute...does not compute."

BigRedChief
07-29-2005, 07:29 AM

No question. You can hear the quote on 610. It's not right now he's the starter. It's opening day starter is McCleon. No ifs ands or buts. No taken out of contex. He was asked a straight question, Have you decided who's the starting CB on the other side of Surtain on opening day?

nmt1
07-29-2005, 07:30 AM
Probably not.

But it's not like we're totally out of left field on this. We're talking about the coach that didn't even dress Larry Johnson for the first year and a half of his career, and considers Eric Hicks a leader on D.

Well then we're back to who knows best. My whole point with that is that I know next to nothing about football. I watch on Sundays. I read the newspaper articles. I look at the pictures. I don't think that makes me qualified to decide whether Eric Hicks is really a leader or whether or not Larry Johnson should have been dressing for the first year and a half of his career. I'm not in the locker room. I don't have an office at Arrowhead.
I guess I should just let others stew in their misery.

BigRedChief
07-29-2005, 07:30 AM
Which is pretty laughable considering so far he's been nothing more than an offensive version of the oft vilified Marty, only with a worse winning percentage.

Well I guess you are in that 10% huh?ROFL

Chiefnj
07-29-2005, 07:34 AM
No question. You can hear the quote on 610. It's not right now he's the starter. It's opening day starter is McCleon. No ifs ands or buts. No taken out of contex. He was asked a straight question, Have you decided who's the starting CB on the other side of Surtain on opening day?

My bad then. Can't get 610 in NJ. The only thing I saw about it was the UWRF article. Guess I was wrong. I still think it's Gunther's call.

jspchief
07-29-2005, 07:35 AM
Well I guess you are in that 10% huh?ROFLNot quite. I don't put him on the pedastal that some fans do, but I also don't hate on Marty the way some fans do. I have a lot of respect for both coaches' ability to do what they did with a particular half of the team. I'm not it sure it makes either of them great head coaches, but it's given me 15 years of mostly exciting football to watch.

jspchief
07-29-2005, 07:40 AM
Well then we're back to who knows best. My whole point with that is that I know next to nothing about football. I watch on Sundays. I read the newspaper articles. I look at the pictures. I don't think that makes me qualified to decide whether Eric Hicks is really a leader or whether or not Larry Johnson should have been dressing for the first year and a half of his career.
I guess I should just let others stew in their misery. And my whole point is that some of us feel that Vermeil has shown enough that we are justified in being skeptical of some of his decisions. I can't believe you've been a member of this board for 5 years, and still haven't figured out that some people just like to come here and bitch. Actually, you're no different than the rest of us. You just choose a different target for your bitching.

I don't have an office at Arrowhead. They let you work from home, huh? 4321

Kclee
07-29-2005, 07:46 AM
The collective genious of Chiefsplanet knows how to own and operate the Chiefs organization better than Dick and Carl! Fargin n00b!
:)

Exactly! It's like we own, operate, live at, and post from a Holiday Inn express 24/7. Never question 'THE COLLECTIVE', as we like to be called.

KCTitus
07-29-2005, 07:47 AM
DV probably didnt want to sign Ty Law either...it's this, this decision alone, that will be the reason why KC goes another year without a SB victory.

jspchief
07-29-2005, 07:48 AM
DV probably didnt want to sign Ty Law either...it's this, this decision alone, that will be the reason why KC goes another year without a SB victory.I agree.

KCTitus
07-29-2005, 07:49 AM
I agree.

well, this and the release of Easy...

greg63
07-29-2005, 08:07 AM
"Dexter McCleon is going to be the starting corner this year. Coach Vermeil expressed tremendous confidence in him, and that he is physically, mentally, and emotionally prepared to have a great training camp and season. During 11-on-11 drills McCleon had one interception off quarterback Trent Green."

The article just said that McCleon was going to be "the starting corner", it did not say who made that decision. Of course, Vermeil is going to speak very positively about whoever slides into the starting spot. None of this would be an issue if Warfield could have kept his act together off the field.

RedThat
07-29-2005, 08:09 AM

Hell Yeah! Especially when he makes asinine comments, remember when Troy Vincent was brought in here last year? Does this ring a bell? Vermeil stated, "He would compete with W-I-L-L-I-A-M B-A-R-T-E-E for the starting corner job."

*That statement alone, completely convinces me he shouldn't be making decisions for our starting CB's. As fans, you and I know, Vincent is the better corner, and shouldn't even have to think twice about making him compete with Bartee!

htismaqe
07-29-2005, 08:17 AM
Hell Yeah! Especially when he makes asinine comments, remember when Troy Vincent was brought in here last year? Does this ring a bell? Vermeil stated, "He would compete with W-I-L-L-I-A-M B-A-R-T-E-E for the starting corner job."

*That statement alone, completely convinces me he shouldn't be making decisions for our starting CB's. As fans, you and I know, Vincent is the better corner, and shouldn't even have to think twice about making him compete with Bartee!

SMART fans have listened to DV long enough to know that everything that comes out of his mouth should be taken with a grain of salt.

If you HONESTLY believe you could be a better football coach than a guy with a Super Bowl ring, well...

As for McCleon starting, blame Gunther. Dick Vermeil doesn't decide who starts, even on offense. We know that because both he and Saunders have said that it was SAUNDERS' decision to start Blaylock over Johnson last season before Blaylock got hurt.

greg63
07-29-2005, 08:20 AM
SMART fans have listened to DV long enough to know that everything that comes out of his mouth should be taken with a grain of salt.

If you HONESTLY believe you could be a better football coach than a guy with a Super Bowl ring, well...

As for McCleon starting, blame Gunther. Dick Vermeil doesn't decide who starts, even on offense. We know that because both he and Saunders have said that it was SAUNDERS' decision to start Blaylock over Johnson last season before Blaylock got hurt.

Good point.

the Talking Can
07-29-2005, 08:23 AM

Is SMART fan related to TRUE fan?

dirk digler
07-29-2005, 08:24 AM

I agree but doesn't DV really have the final say since he is the head coach?

greg63
07-29-2005, 08:27 AM
I agree but doesn't DV really have the final say since he is the head coach?

Probably, but he is going to go with whomever his assistant coaches recomend.

Chiefnj
07-29-2005, 08:29 AM

Only if he is a season ticket holder.

BigRedChief
07-29-2005, 08:29 AM

I don't know? I spend around $2.5K on Chiefs season tickets and gear so according to King Carl I'm a "Real" fan. But if you ask others I'm not very smart to spend my money on Chiefs tickets. Maybe we will have to climb a mountain and find us a Buddist monk for the answer?

keg in kc
07-29-2005, 08:32 AM
Strange non-story to get bent all out of shape over.

greg63
07-29-2005, 08:38 AM
Strange non-story to get bent all out of shape over.

I agree.

dirk digler
07-29-2005, 08:44 AM
To be honest I don't care if we be bring back Mighty Mouse to play corner as long as we win. The Pats didn't have the greatest corners in the world but they won the SB. It is all about being strong up in the middle on D that wins SB's IMO.

TRR
07-29-2005, 09:03 AM
I have no problem with McCleon starting. He was KC's most consistent CB in Robinson's final season. He played in a new scheme last season, and was banged up all year. Don't get me wrong, McCleon isn't Surtain, but he's good enough to get KC through four games.

bringbackmarty
07-29-2005, 09:06 AM
I just hope we get a pass rush.

BigRedChief
07-29-2005, 10:03 AM
I have no problem with McCleon starting. He was KC's most consistent CB in Robinson's final season. He played in a new scheme last season, and was banged up all year. Don't get me wrong, McCleon isn't Surtain, but he's good enough to get KC through four games.

My biggest worry is if Trent goes down for four games is Collins up to speed? We could start 1-3 and Trent goes down in game four? AAAAIIIEEEEE nightmare season again...:banghead:

StcChief
07-29-2005, 10:07 AM
DV says it, but McCleon still has to do it on field.

I'm sure Gun will weigh in if he doesn't think McCleon is there.

stevieray
stop talking about injuries!

TEX

That's where we disagree. In Gun's system, McClean has shown that he's not even good enough to play nickle, nevermind start for any length of time. Maybe his shoulder is completly healed this year? In any case, he sure looked bad last season and showed absolutely nothing to suggest he belongs starting. Bottom line is he reperesents the best option at this point which is really not a good one. To me, that says volumes about the current state of our CB talent.

Mr. Laz
07-29-2005, 10:13 AM

love this ... hear something you don't like, blame the media

how rufus of you

BigRedChief
07-29-2005, 10:14 AM
stop talking about injuries!

Ain't no jinx factor at work here on the Planet. :shake:

It's Super Bowl or bust. :hail:

greg63
07-29-2005, 10:17 AM
My biggest worry is if Trent goes down for four games is Collins up to speed? We could start 1-3 and Trent goes down in game four? AAAAIIIEEEEE nightmare season again...:banghead:

...And the sun might supernova frying the very fabric of our entire existence!!! Oh nooooooooooo!!!!!!! Come on, the season hasn't even started yet and already you have us in the tank. At least wait until it all goes down hill before pouring on the pessimism.

kc1977
07-29-2005, 11:03 AM
This can't surprise anyone. Vickie D is the guy who decides before the game whether or not he is going to go for it on fourth down. Why would it then surprise anyone that he has named the starter of a highly contested position before camp even begins.

Senile.

greg63
07-29-2005, 11:08 AM
"Q: Does signing Washington mean signing Ty Law is out of the picture?
VERMEIL: ďIt doesnít change anything. Ty Law is in no picture until he clears a physical somewhere.Ē"

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/07/29/qa_with_dick_vermeil/

It sounds as if Ty Law has not been ruled out. I think it would all boil down to Law's physical progress and whether or not the Chiefs could pony-up the dough.

BigRedChief
07-29-2005, 11:19 AM
...And the sun might supernova frying the very fabric of our entire existence!!! Oh nooooooooooo!!!!!!! Come on, the season hasn't even started yet and already you have us in the tank. At least wait until it all goes down hill before pouring on the pessimism.

Hey nlm noob. I'm not pessimistic I'm an ahole get your facts straight.

Taco John
07-29-2005, 11:24 AM
So the Jets, Oakland, Denver and Philly all get to take turns on McCleon?

How does 0-4 sound?

Brock
07-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Oh no. We'll have a starting CB who gets burned almost as often as Champ Bailey. We're doomed.

greg63
07-29-2005, 11:35 AM
Hey nlm noob. I'm not pessimistic I'm an ahole get your facts straight.

Got it.

reddick
07-29-2005, 12:07 PM

Sadly in most cases, YES! If I was running the damn team we'd have Roy Williams instead of Ryan Sims. And Lehman at MLB instead of Mitchell! :banghead:

KCJake
07-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Vermeil should defer to Gunther when it comes to who will or won't start on defense.
Maybe he is??? Maybe this is Gunther's call?

Chiefnj
07-29-2005, 12:17 PM
Sadly in most cases, YES! If I was running the damn team we'd have Roy Williams instead of Ryan Sims. And Lehman at MLB instead of Mitchell! :banghead:

How were you going to draft Roy Williams when the Cowboys had him marked and would have refused to trade with KC had they had an inkling KC wanted him?

greg63
07-29-2005, 12:39 PM
Vermeilís the front man. We get this information from him because he is in front of the cameras, addressing the media. I refuse to believe that he arbitrarily makes these decisions without any input from his coaching staff.

Brock
07-29-2005, 01:25 PM
How were you going to draft Roy Williams when the Cowboys had him marked and would have refused to trade with KC had they had an inkling KC wanted him?

Maybe we could have....I dunno...lied?

tk13
07-29-2005, 01:31 PM
Good grief. It was the first day of camp. Let's all have a meltdown now.

BIG_DADDY
07-29-2005, 01:35 PM
I am a big DV fan but that's just fuggin stupid. You tell everyone they need to compete for the job and in one day you make a decision? WTF is that? It demoralizes everyone and makes you look like a liar too. :shake:

htismaqe
07-29-2005, 01:37 PM

Oh come on. Let's not be reasonable here.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-29-2005, 01:45 PM
DV clearly speaks on emotion and heart, and not his brains. Him declaring McCleon the starter was just another example of that. He saw that he played kind of well the first day, got emotional, and said he would be the starter. It'll be a couple days, then he'll get interviewed again and he'll say it's still up for grabs.

Even if not, I have plenty of confidence that after a full training camp, Amrbose will end up starting opening day. Even though Amrbrose is older, he is the better CB, IMO, and will prove it. DV won't have a choice, Ram ties or not.

greg63
07-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Oh come on. Let's not be reasonable here.

Heavens NO!!!

greg63
07-29-2005, 02:13 PM
Good grief. It was the first day of camp. Let's all have a meltdown now.
Hey, it's that supernova I was talking about.

Rausch
07-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Just like every other young guy that moved up the depth charts, McClingon will come down with some "injury" allowing a younger guy some PT and he'll "win" the spot because Dexter just isn't healthy yet. Or some other excuse for sucking, without having to say he does suck, and getting replaced.

htismaqe
07-29-2005, 02:50 PM
Just like every other young guy that moved up the depth charts, McClingon will come down with some "injury" allowing a younger guy some PT and he'll "win" the spot because Dexter just isn't healthy yet. Or some other excuse for sucking, without having to say he does suck, and getting replaced.

Exactly, McCleon will get demoted without DV ever "tearing him down".

reddick
07-29-2005, 02:55 PM
What you do is, yes listen to this insane logic. You freaking move up to the #5 spot! We gave up a 3rd rd pick I believe to get to move up to get Sims. Vermeil and the way this team is run is a freaking joke! We wer paying Morton what 6 million a year. But we can't do that to get Law in here :banghead:

Chiefnj
07-29-2005, 03:01 PM
What you do is, yes listen to this insane logic. You freaking move up to the #5 spot! We gave up a 3rd rd pick I believe to get to move up to get Sims. Vermeil and the way this team is run is a freaking joke! We wer paying Morton what 6 million a year. But we can't do that to get Law in here :banghead:

Yeah, the Chargers a division rival were going to let us trade up.

bobbything
07-29-2005, 03:04 PM
I have this distinct feeling that Cunningham will make the decision as to who's going to start opposite Surtain.

the Talking Can
07-29-2005, 03:11 PM
Did DV also say that Browning was a starter over Dalton?

I hope this is a motivational ploy.

****ing losers like Hicks, Sims, and McCleon need to be benched.

KCChiefsMan
07-29-2005, 03:15 PM
I was going to post this yesterday when I saw it, but I was scared it might be a repost and ruin a lot of people's day.

CoMoChief
07-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Welp say goodbye to the games against Oakland and Philly. McBURNon couldn't cover the late Christopher Reeves if his life depended on it. Dick Vermeil's loyalty towards his former players or buddies on the coaching staff has been anchoring this team down from making the playoffs ever since he's been here. (2003 was an exception but hadn't Dante Hall returned those KR/PR for TD's, we very well could have missed the playoffs). Dick Vermeil's record with KC is 34-30, which is not that great. Dick Vermeil knows jack shit about defense, and notice before every year he says something like "I believe our defense can get better". Well no shit dumbass because it damn near can't get any worse! I guess Dick Vermeil has Alzhiemer's (this spelling is probably wrong but I dont feel like looking it up) disease because he doesnt remember the Jacksonville game from last year, or the Houston or Carolina game.

As far as DV naming him the starting CB opposite of Surtain into the 2nd day of camp, thats bullshit. I wouldn't want anyone on our defense to get hurt, but I do hope McBURNon gets injured, simply so that DV can't in any way send his ass on the field. I can just see it now, Joey Porter is walking into the huddle and looks across to the other side as McBURNon walks into his defensive huddle. Then Porter falls on his ass because he's laughing so hard that McBURNon is actually on the field.

TRR
07-29-2005, 03:25 PM
If KC can't overcome losing a player of Warfield's caliber for four games, then they don't belong in the playoffs.

McCleon will play fine.

greg63
07-29-2005, 03:43 PM
If KC can't overcome losing a player of Warfield's caliber for four games, then they don't belong in the playoffs.

McCleon will play fine.

I agree, one player does not make or break an entire team.

greg63
07-29-2005, 03:53 PM
As far as DV naming him the starting CB opposite of Surtain into the 2nd day of camp, thats bullshit.

Again, because Vermeil said this in an interview doesn't mean he made the call. He is the head coach which means he is the one addressing the media most of the time. I'm sure he consulted Gun.

Clint in Wichita
07-29-2005, 03:58 PM
I don't understand why anyone would get upset at Vermeil about this.

It's not like Ambrose or Washington have much more to offer than McCleon.

If you are going to be pissed, be pissed at Warfield. He's the idiot drunk that got himself suspended.

Rausch
07-29-2005, 04:04 PM

If you are going to be pissed, be pissed at Warfield. He's the idiot drunk that got himself suspended.

There's nothing I'd love more than to cut/trade Warfield after the season and take a CB in the 1st...

htismaqe
07-29-2005, 06:09 PM

We were NOT paying Morton $6M per year. Don't expose yourself...

htismaqe
07-29-2005, 06:09 PM

EXCELLENT post, Clint.

NaptownChief
07-29-2005, 06:27 PM

When all said and done McCling-On might be the best player for the starting job but what the hell is wrong with letting him prove it on the practice field? Let things play out on the practice field. Hell for all we know Sapp could have really developed, Hodge could shock the world and be much better than anyone knew, Ambrose and Washington might have more in the tank than anyone knew...Don't have a clue but at this point neither does DV so why don't he just take a effin step back and see how things play out and take a test drive before he dives head long into a marriage?

Rudy lost the toss
07-29-2005, 06:33 PM
maybe McCleon will get some Safety help this year

htismaqe
07-29-2005, 07:47 PM
When all said and done McCling-On might be the best player for the starting job but what the hell is wrong with letting him prove it on the practice field? Let things play out on the practice field. Hell for all we know Sapp could have really developed, Hodge could shock the world and be much better than anyone knew, Ambrose and Washington might have more in the tank than anyone knew...Don't have a clue but at this point neither does DV so why don't he just take a effin step back and see how things play out and take a test drive before he dives head long into a marriage?

When it all comes down to it, he's doing exactly what you suggest. He's just telling everybody something different.

Which is typical of Vermeil.

RedThat
07-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Did DV also say that Browning was a starter over Dalton?

I hope this is a motivational ploy.

****ing losers like Hicks, Sims, and McCleon need to be benched.

This is what Vermeil said:

Q: DT Lional Dalton?

VERMEIL: ďHe really hasnít lost his job. Itís just how weíre starting out here right now. John Browning is our best defensive linemen and our best defensive tackle anyway. But we played him differently last year, rotating him between two positions as I explained this morning. And he canít play two at the same time. So we started him on the bench depending on defensive calls and situation, and then got him rolled through and he ended up playing more than the other guys. But right now we donít have a starting defensive tackles per se.Ē

*I'm hoping Sims gets benched and our starting DT's are Browning, and Dalton. I can live with that.

greg63
07-29-2005, 09:09 PM

I agree Warfield is the one who made this whole thing an issue with his off-field behavior.

Mojo Rising
07-30-2005, 12:45 AM
It doesn't make sense to me to name a starter after they signed Wash and Ambrose. Why not let them all think they have a shot and pic the best one? I wonder if DV and CP are not on the same page on the 2nd CB position. We are in trouble if McLeon is our starter. I was hoping that Wash or Ambrose would be better than McLeon. I didn't see either play last year.

I also don't understand the Dalton comment. Unless he blimped out over the offseason. He was our best D lineman last year which isn't saying a lot. The only advantage I can see that Browning brings is that he stays in on 3rd downs.

Rausch
07-30-2005, 01:07 AM
Game 1 I bet he is the starter.

I'm also willing to bet that by game 5 he isn't...

Logical
07-30-2005, 01:14 AM
So you guys think you know more about who should play corner than Vermiel?Probably not, but I know enough to know it is a horrible idea when your starter has to sit out, to name his replacement with over 6 weeks of practices and 4 preseason games left to evaluate everyone. It is a demotivator for those not named and it is also possible it will reduce the amount of effort McCleon puts in if he believes he has the position locked up.

Mojo Rising
07-30-2005, 02:37 AM
Maybe we do. DV stated last year that he was more worried about his Offense than his D.

Taco John
07-30-2005, 04:20 AM
Game 1 I bet he is the starter.

I'm also willing to bet that by game 5 he isn't...

That's a sucker's bet that I'd take in a minute if I were a Chiefs fan. Everybody knows DV is loyal to a fault.

Rausch
07-30-2005, 04:37 AM
That's a sucker's bet that I'd take in a minute if I were a Chiefs fan. Everybody knows DV is loyal to a fault.

Everyone also knows that Warfield will be back by game 5...

htismaqe
07-30-2005, 06:57 AM
Probably not, but I know enough to know it is a horrible idea when your starter has to sit out, to name his replacement with over 6 weeks of practices and 4 preseason games left to evaluate everyone. It is a demotivator for those not named and it is also possible it will reduce the amount of effort McCleon puts in if he believes he has the position locked up.

DV is a ****ing GENIOUS!

Don't you see it? He named McCleon the starter, knowing that it would light a fire under Ambrose and Washington, while causing Dexter to relax a bit.

In the end, Dexter will relax his way right out of the starting job.

DV is setting him up. Brilliant!