PDA

View Full Version : Day 1: Training Camp Quick Hitters

chris
07-29-2005, 08:02 AM
Chiefs need Sims to be a force in the middle. By Mike Nugent Warpaint Illustrated Beat Writer
Date: Jul 29, 2005

As the Chiefs embark on their first training camp practice of the season, they did so by adding a couple of players, cornerback DeWayne Washington and linebacker Dave Moretti and announcing that Shawn Barber would be placed on the PUP list.

Although it was initially reported that linebackers Mike Maslowski and Scott Fujita were cleared to practice, they did not participate in any part of individual or group drills. Maslowski, however, did act as a dummy running back in certain defensive drills, which is a good sign.

The two linebackers did work out after practice, and looked fairly fluid. If the training staff determines that they are okay, they could be on the practice field as early as tomorrow morning.

As mentioned, LB Shawn Barber has been placed on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

First team defense consisted of: Patrick Surtain, Dexter McCleon, Jared Allen, John Browning, Ryan Sims, Eric Hicks, Keyaron Fox, Kendrell Bell, Kawicka Mitchell, Knight and Wesley. It was surprising that defensive tackle Lional Dalton was not playing first team defense.

At the end of practice, Coach Dick Vermeil strongly endorsed CB Dexter McCleon as the starter at cornerback in CB Eric Warfield’s absence.

Safety Sammy Knight looks like he’s going to be very strong in run support. He was in the mix on several running plays, particular to the outside.

MLB Kawika Mitchell looked very smooth and confident with the first team. He flowed to the ball well, and even intercepted one of QB Trent Green’s passes.

LB Gary Stills appears to be making the transition back to linebacker very well. Stills played with the second team defense and looked strong against the run.

WR Marc Boerigter and WR Chris Horn did not participate in any drills.

Wide receiver Freddie Mitchell looked very good in his debut practice. He came up with four nice catches in drills against the defense. It looks like he and quarterback Trent Green have become very comfortable with each other, and are on the same page. That would be a pleasant surprise for the Chiefs if he develops into a playmaker for this team.

OT Kevin Sampson played first team right tackle. I know everyone thought that Jordan Black was going to be the man at that position, so it was a little surprising. Although he appeared to struggle at times, Sampson held up well.

Kris Wilson doesn’t look as fast as he did last year in training camp. He may be a little tentative after suffering a broken leg last season. That should all change once he gets hit a couple of times.

RB Priest Holmes looks as healthy as ever. Reserve RB Larry Johnson ripped off several nice runs against the second team defense.

keg in kc
07-29-2005, 08:34 AM
Odd that you would give something the title "Chiefs need Sims to be a force in the middle" when there's absolutely no mention of Sims anywhere in the piece except to say he played with the first team.

the Talking Can
07-29-2005, 08:36 AM
maybe we need a permanent thread for all the WI articles posted here....

the Talking Can
07-29-2005, 08:37 AM
Odd that you would give something the title "Chiefs need Sims to be a force in the middle" when there's absolutely no mention of Sims anywhere in the piece except to say he played with the first team.

I blame Nick Athan.

ptlyon
07-29-2005, 08:46 AM
...and announcing that Shawn Barber would be placed on the PUP list.
As mentioned, LB Shawn Barber has been placed on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

Top quality reporting there Ted. Thanks for reminding us, dumbass. Apparently he must have thought that we fell asleep reading his drivel.

ptlyon
07-29-2005, 08:48 AM
That would be a pleasant surprise for the Chiefs if he develops into a playmaker for this team.

"Pleasant surprise"? I'm not thinking that they brought him in here to be surprised, but to perform.

Once again, nice reporting, dumbass.

ptlyon
07-29-2005, 08:51 AM
Kris Wilson doesn’t look as fast as he did last year in training camp. He may be a little tentative after suffering a broken leg last season. That should all change once he gets hit a couple of times.

Thanks for your evaluation, dumbass.

How aren't you a scout for an NFL team with your wonderful talent evaluations?

As mentioned, you're a dumbass.

Otter
07-29-2005, 08:57 AM
Boerigter's injury is getting a little ridiculous, the guy is 27 years old. I know senior citizens that heal faster than this.

Baby Lee
07-29-2005, 09:04 AM
http://www.that70sshow.com/episode_gallery/201/images/201-i.jpg
God Athan is a dumbass.

Manila-Chief
07-29-2005, 09:12 AM
When I read ... "Warpaint Illustrated" ... I thought oh no! And I agree with you guys about the way he reported some of the things.

But, this was the first time I read who was in the starting line up. That is football news.

How can you tell that Knight will be "strong against the run" when they were only in shells? Seems to me you must see players in pads and full speed to determine those things. This guy really is a homer!!! But, I'll read him for info that is factual (the starting line ups) and not for his commentary.

Come to think of it he is about as good as the woman the Star sent up there.

KCTitus
07-29-2005, 09:31 AM
this makes the uwrf camp reports look good.

TEX
07-29-2005, 09:48 AM
At the end of practice, Coach Dick Vermeil strongly endorsed CB Dexter McCleon as the starter at cornerback in CB Eric Warfield’s absence.

This means he really $ucks...

I'm not surprised that FredEX did well. I've felt from the beginning that it will work out.

Wish Bo could go. Maybe today.

C-Mac
07-29-2005, 11:10 AM
Keyaron Fox, Kendrell Bell, Kawicka Mitchell as starting linbackers.
I'm not going to say it, but thats quite the clan.......we need Derrick Johnson more than ever.

go bowe
07-29-2005, 11:24 AM
we could call it the special k defense...

whoman69
07-29-2005, 02:30 PM
Is everyone as scared as I thinking of McCleon starting for 4 games?

MGRS13
07-29-2005, 05:02 PM
[B]

I'm not surprised that FredEX did well. I've felt from the beginning that it will work out.

the only reason fredex did anything was because he was covered by McCleon. No way freddy can play against a real corner.

KC Dan
07-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Is everyone as scared as I thinking of McCleon starting for 4 games?
Why we saw him be burned all last year. I, for one am used to it & not scared of it. At least we will have a Pro Bowl corner on the other side. That's better than last year

jettio
07-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Chiefs need Sims to be a force in the middle. By Mike Nugent Warpaint Illustrated Beat Writer
Date: Jul 29, 2005

As the Chiefs embark on their first training camp practice of the season, they did so by adding a couple of players, cornerback DeWayne Washington and linebacker Dave Moretti and announcing that Shawn Barber would be placed on the PUP list.

Although it was initially reported that linebackers Mike Maslowski and Scott Fujita were cleared to practice, they did not participate in any part of individual or group drills. Maslowski, however, did act as a dummy running back in certain defensive drills, which is a good sign.

The two linebackers did work out after practice, and looked fairly fluid. If the training staff determines that they are okay, they could be on the practice field as early as tomorrow morning.

First team defense consisted of: Patrick Surtain, Dexter McCleon, Jared Allen, John Browning, Ryan Sims, Eric Hicks, Keyaron Fox, Kendrell Bell, Kawicka Mitchell, Knight and Wesley. It was surprising that defensive tackle Lional Dalton was not playing first team defense.

Safety Sammy Knight looks like he’s going to be very strong in run support. He was in the mix on several running plays, particular to the outside.

MLB Kawika Mitchell looked very smooth and confident with the first team. He flowed to the ball well, and even intercepted one of QB Trent Green’s passes.

LB Gary Stills appears to be making the transition back to linebacker very well. Stills played with the second team defense and looked strong against the run.

WR Marc Boerigter and WR Chris Horn did not participate in any drills.

Wide receiver Freddie Mitchell looked very good in his debut practice. He came up with four nice catches in drills against the defense. It looks like he and quarterback Trent Green have become very comfortable with each other, and are on the same page. That would be a pleasant surprise for the Chiefs if he develops into a playmaker for this team.

OT Kevin Sampson played first team right tackle. I know everyone thought that Jordan Black was going to be the man at that position, so it was a little surprising. Although he appeared to struggle at times, Sampson held up well.

RB Priest Holmes looks as healthy as ever. Reserve RB Larry Johnson ripped off several nice runs against the second team defense.

That title has a ring to it.

I think that should be incorporated into Chiefs Planet, whenever someone has committed a mortal offense, instead of banning him, that person should be put on the Physically Unable to Post List, (aka PUP List)

I think it would be more NFL to PUP than to BAN, and it would not count against the roster limit or the salary cap.

Alphaman
07-29-2005, 05:39 PM

To be fair to the author and to WI the "Chiefs need Sims to be a force in the middle" was a caption to a picture, not part of the title to the article.

Tribal Warfare
07-29-2005, 05:39 PM
If Freddie does exceed expectations. It would be because of Al Saunders system.

milkman
07-29-2005, 07:28 PM
"Pleasant surprise"? I'm not thinking that they brought him in here to be surprised, but to perform.

Once again, nice reporting, dumbass.

The Chiefs may have brought him in to perform, but there is nothing in his past play in the NFL, except, perhaps, for one play, that remotely suggests he's a "playmaker".

And that one play was more the result of a poorly defended pass than anything FredUp did.

If he even makes the roster, I will be falling out of my chair surprised.