PDA

View Full Version : Clarette is putting his money where his mouth is...

Fat Elvis
07-29-2005, 08:50 AM
From ESPN.com:

Maurice Clarett, who legally challenged the league for early entry, still hasn't given up the thought he should have been a first-round choice in the NFL.

Instead of suing the league, Clarett came up with a novel approach. He is putting his money where his mouth is. On Thursday, he signed a four-year contract in which he gave up the $410,000 of guaranteed money in order to secure an incentive-laden deal that could eventually earn him $7 million.

The complex contract, which includes more than $5 million of performance escalators, forced the Broncos and Clarett's agents to negotiate well into Wednesday night. After a few hours of sleep, they resumed their talks Thursday morning and reached agreement by the afternoon. Clarett was the last pick in the third round of the draft.

the Talking Can
07-29-2005, 08:54 AM
man he's dumb

4th and Long
07-29-2005, 08:57 AM
man he's dumb
Yeah ... what he said.

Mile High Mania
07-29-2005, 08:59 AM
Sweet.... more contracts should be done like this...

KCTitus
07-29-2005, 08:59 AM
It worked so well for Ricky Williams in NO.

Saulbadguy
07-29-2005, 09:01 AM
Shanahan is the kind of asshole that would bench Clarett if he got close to his perfomance incentives.

4th and Long
07-29-2005, 09:01 AM
Not exactly a shining endorsement for his success on your part, eh Mile High? :D

chagrin
07-29-2005, 09:12 AM
Shanahan is the kind of asshole that would bench Clarett if he got close to his perfomance incentives.

Or he will just make Clarett a FB or convert him to Safety

Rain Man
07-29-2005, 09:15 AM
It worked so well for Ricky Williams in NO.

I wonder if Slo Mo has a rap star as his agent.

The thing I like about this is that Slo Mo now has a strong incentive to take out Tatum Bell's knee.

TEX
07-29-2005, 09:22 AM
Wonder if it included bonuses for not quitting and running the 40 in under 6 seconds? :hmmm:

StcChief
07-29-2005, 09:29 AM
Sweet.... more contracts should be done like this...Yes. That's the way it should be.
Base plus incentives for every player.

tyton75
07-29-2005, 09:29 AM
I really think that most rookie contracts should be structured this way, considering they have proven nothing in the NFL..

give a small sum up front guaranteed, like 150k or something... then some in attainable incentives.. and then alot more in tough to reach incentives, ex. Pro Bowl selection..

Mr. Laz
07-29-2005, 09:30 AM
Clarette is putting his money where his mouth is...and pretty soon clarett will be putting shanahan penis where his mouth is....

standard donk fare :shrug:

ChiefsOne
07-29-2005, 09:32 AM
I think Clarett is a dick for all the $hit he stirred up, but that is a pretty big move on his part. All contracts should be set up like that.

ChiTown
07-29-2005, 09:38 AM
man he's dumb

....and fat.....

Scorp
07-29-2005, 09:53 AM
....and fat.....

You knocking fat people? :cuss:

Mile High Mania
07-29-2005, 10:05 AM
Not exactly a shining endorsement for his success on your part, eh Mile High? :D

Well, if he actually does well... he'll get paid. I don't think Shanahan would bench a guy that is getting near his incentives, especially if the team is doing well. That's a bit absurd to throw out there.

Mile High Mania
07-29-2005, 10:06 AM
I think Clarett is a dick for all the $hit he stirred up, but that is a pretty big move on his part. All contracts should be set up like that.

All the shit he stirred up? I guess you're thinking that OSU was a victim in this whole thing? Both parties were dirty and turned on each other rather quickly.

Mr. Laz
07-29-2005, 10:09 AM
All the shit he stirred up? I guess you're thinking that OSU was a victim in this whole thing? Both parties were dirty and turned on each other rather quickly.

i think she's talking about trying to sue his way into the NFL

stevieray
07-29-2005, 10:10 AM
who cares? He's a scumbag Invesco.

Mile High Mania
07-29-2005, 10:36 AM
who cares? He's a scumbag Invesco.

Exactly...

ChiTown
07-29-2005, 10:50 AM
You knocking fat people? :cuss:

apparently

go bowe
07-29-2005, 11:57 AM
:( :( :(

Skip Towne
07-29-2005, 01:12 PM
....and fat.....
....and slow....

baitism
07-29-2005, 01:24 PM
You just dont do this when you are the 4 deep on the depth chart....

vailpass
07-29-2005, 01:36 PM
You just dont do this when you are the 4 deep on the depth chart....

Where else but from deep on the depth chart? It's a gamble that says" I will out-perform all expectations and when I do I want to be paid accordingly. In return I forego the measly up front monies you offer".
It's laying 4 large for a 7 million return. Not a bad gamble of you really believe in yourself.

IMHO if a rookie Chief RB did this most of you who are nay-saying Clarett's deal would round up for a circle jerk over your guy's character, old-school ways, and willingness to accept pay for performance. (perfectly normal to like your own guys better, I'm just sayin....)

Like him or not you have to admit it's going to be interesting to see how he does now that he has laid it all on the line.

HemiEd
07-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Where else but from deep on the depth chart? It's a gamble that says" I will out-perform all expectations and when I do I want to be paid accordingly. In return I forego the measly up front monies you offer".
It's laying 4 large for a 7 million return. Not a bad gamble of you really believe in yourself.

IMHO if a rookie Chief RB did this most of you who are nay-saying Clarett's deal would round up for a circle jerk over your guy's character, old-school ways, and willingness to accept pay for performance. (perfectly normal to like your own guys better, I'm just sayin....)

Like him or not you have to admit it's going to be interesting to see how he does now that he has laid it all on the line.

Nah, he is still a Donk. :D

chagrin
07-29-2005, 02:10 PM
Fuggin Buckeye, go Blue!

Rain Man
07-29-2005, 02:12 PM

It depends. Can our guy beat a 4.8 40?

Rausch
07-29-2005, 02:31 PM

The Donks front office bent him over the table. If you're a Donk fan you've got to love this deal. With the crowded backfield in Denver there's no way in hell any single back gets 1,300 - 1,500 yards.

And I agree, all rookie contracts should be incentive based...

WolfDawg
07-29-2005, 02:42 PM
Fuggin Buckeye, go Blue!

scUM fan.

COchief
07-29-2005, 03:15 PM
Well, if he actually does well... he'll get paid. I don't think Shanahan would bench a guy that is getting near his incentives, especially if the team is doing well. That's a bit absurd to throw out there.

I'm a little confused, let me try an equation to work this out:

Broncos +Plummer 5 year contract+slo mo 5 year contract+team doing well= :shake: sorry, formula does not compute!

jspchief
07-29-2005, 03:27 PM
In terms of character, you have to respect what he's doing. He's only asking to be paid for what he actually does. It's suprising as hell coming from a slimeball like Clarett, but I have to respect it.

Business wise, it's an idiotic move for him. I don't think anyone can argue that it isn't.

Where I see the potential for problems for the Donkeys is the number of reps he gets. What if he performs admirably in spot duty, but Bell is still the main man? At what point does Clarett think he deserves more carries, or think the team is holding him back for financial reasons? And more importantly, at what point does he go public with his feelings and create a distraction.

To me, as "honest" as incentive based clauses sound, they are a pandora's box because the player doesn't have ultimate control over how much of an opportunity he'll get to meet his incentives.

Given Clarett's past display of character (or more accurately, lack of) I think this has problems written all over it.

Ultra Peanut
07-29-2005, 03:32 PM
I wonder if Slo Mo has a rap star as his agent.

The thing I like about this is that Slo Mo now has a strong incentive to take out Tatum Bell's knee.ROFL

Skip Towne
07-29-2005, 03:51 PM
In terms of character, you have to respect what he's doing. He's only asking to be paid for what he actually does. It's suprising as hell coming from a slimeball like Clarett, but I have to respect it.

Business wise, it's an idiotic move for him. I don't think anyone can argue that it isn't.

Where I see the potential for problems for the Donkeys is the number of reps he gets. What if he performs admirably in spot duty, but Bell is still the main man? At what point does Clarett think he deserves more carries, or think the team is holding him back for financial reasons? And more importantly, at what point does he go public with his feelings and create a distraction.

To me, as "honest" as incentive based clauses sound, they are a pandora's box because the player doesn't have ultimate control over how much of an opportunity he'll get to meet his incentives.

Given Clarett's past display of character (or more accurately, lack of) I think this has problems written all over it.
Good.

mcan
07-29-2005, 04:44 PM
How could you not see this coming? This is the same agent that said publicly that Claurette would be the first running back taken, and would get rookie of year, and all that. These guys are SUPER confident. I like that about him. As for his character issues, nobody here really knows the guy. Maybe he's a dick. Maybe he honestly got screwed over. Maybe he got fed some bad information by an agent that thinks he can do no wrong...

Also, the idea that Shani would take him out or bench him just because of the contract is rediculous. The coach doesn't pay the players' salaries, and probably doesn't even know what the guy makes.

All that said, it's not like he's never been injured before. So, if he goes down, this deal can really screw him.

whoman69
07-29-2005, 05:44 PM
You realize that any incentive bonus that is attainable counts against the cap, don't you. If its not reached they do return it the next year.

Valiant
07-29-2005, 05:49 PM

Actually no, all he has to do is get his 1000 yards once.. Then he will hold out and want a new contract... Then you will trade him... Of course this would have happened either way...

Thig Lyfe
07-29-2005, 08:32 PM
Clarett has officially become the highest-paid... you know what, it's just easier to call him a fatass.

dtebbe
07-30-2005, 08:46 AM
This is a win-win for evenone else in the AFC west, Clarett will either cost the donkeys a butt-load of money and then leave, or be a total locker room cancer whining about this or that. Hooray for the donkeys!

DT

Bowser
07-30-2005, 08:47 AM
This is a win-win for evenone else in the AFC west, Clarett will either cost the donkeys a butt-load of money and then leave, or be a total locker room cancer whining about this or that. Hooray for the donkeys!

DT

That's kind of the way I see it. Couldn't happen to a better team!