PDA

View Full Version : Go Monty!

Mr. Laz
07-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Patriots | Linebackers
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:20:59 -0700

Mike Reiss, of the Metrowest Daily News, reports that LB Mike Vrabel and LB Rosevelt Colvin started at outside linebacker and LB Monty Beisel and LB Chad Brown started at inside linebacker in the team's 3-4 defensive alignment at practice Friday, July 29.

Rain Man
07-29-2005, 11:34 AM
I think Monty can be a good player.

ChiTown
07-29-2005, 11:42 AM
The only thing that kept Monty from being a player was his footwork/balance. He'd played his college career coming off the ball in a 3 point stance. Then, he switches to LB in the NFL, where you square up 3-4 yards off the ball - that takes some time to figure out how your body should react. Apparently, he's really improved in that area.

Amnorix
07-29-2005, 11:56 AM
In :hail: Belioli we trust (Belichick/Pioli).

keg in kc
07-29-2005, 12:26 PM
From McGinist, Johnson, Bruschi and Vrabel to Colvin, Brown, Beisel and Vrabel.

Lots of change, that.

Rain Man
07-29-2005, 12:29 PM
In :hail: Belioli we trust (Belichick/Pioli).

There's nowhere to go but down for you guys. Nowhere to go but down.

(Petty vindictiveness is my only weapon against New England at this point.)

Amnorix
07-29-2005, 12:32 PM
From McGinist, Johnson, Bruschi and Vrabel to Colvin, Brown, Beisel and Vrabel.

Lots of change, that.

Yes, with regard to ILB. McGinest isn't gone though. Just temporarily out of action.

OLBs will be a rotation of McGinest, Vrabel and Colvin. We'll be fine there.

It's ILBs, which have gone from Bruschi, Johnson, Phiffer to Brown, Beisel and ? which is a bit of a concern to say the least.

keg in kc
07-29-2005, 12:37 PM
OLBs will be a rotation of McGinest, Vrabel and Colvin. We'll be fine there.Same as last year, correct?It's ILBs, which have gone from Bruschi, Johnson, Phiffer to Brown, Beisel and ? which is a bit of a concern to say the least.That would scare me. Brown's, what, 35 now? Beisel almost has to start, just because of attrition; there isn't anything behind him, at least nothing proven. And he's not exactly proven, himself.

Might come together. Might not.

Amnorix
07-29-2005, 12:52 PM
Same as last year, correct?

Yes, but:

1. McGinest is another year older (he's like 34) so that's bad.

2. Colvin is another year recovered from his devastating hip injury, and he's still only 29. I expect him to be MUCH better this year than last year. He clearly got consistently better all through last year, to the point where by the SB he had much more of an impact and looked like the old Bears version of himself.

That would scare me. Brown's, what, 35 now? Beisel almost has to start, just because of attrition; there isn't anything behind him, at least nothing proven. And he's not exactly proven, himself.

Might come together. Might not.

Yup. No argument here. The ILB situation is definitely the most worrisome. The rest of the team is very solid. Of course, ILB is THE most important part of a 3-4 defense (along with NG).

If those two dont' look good, I expect to see alot more 4-3 run this year (Warren - Wilfork - Seymour - Green is a pretty outstanding DL).

Undertaker #59
07-29-2005, 01:25 PM
Just as a caveat, I would not read too much into who the starters are on the first day of camp. It usually changes.

I would not be surprised to see Vrabel get some more work inside as well.

Iowanian
07-29-2005, 01:26 PM
I wonder what Belicheck would give for our Scanlon-Pokemon? How about a Maslowski, with a bent corner?

ROYC75
07-29-2005, 01:29 PM
I wonder what Belicheck would give for our Scanlon-Pokemon? How about a Maslowski, with a bent corner?

Belicheck woulf take him in a heartbeat if given the chance but Scanlon would never clear waivers far enough for NE to have a chance at him. Some other team would calim him first.

Besides.....Rich will be a Chief.

ChiTown
07-29-2005, 01:30 PM
Belicheck woulf take him in a heartbeat if given the chance but Scanlon would never clear waivers far enough for NE to have a chance at him. Some other team would calim him first.

Besides.....Rich will be a Chief.

I admire a Dad that sticks up for his son.....

ROYC75
07-29-2005, 01:47 PM
I admire a Dad that sticks up for his son.....

Damn..... Come to think of it, I am old enough to have a kid playing in the NFL.

But I thought I blew that load in her mout 20 years ago.

Iowanian
07-29-2005, 01:47 PM
Roy.....the Chiefs have the rights to your boyfriend..and they could TRADE him to any team they want. The Chiefs will not keep more than 3 MLBs on the squad.

ROYC75
07-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Roy.....the Chiefs have the rights to your boyfriend..and they could TRADE him to any team they want. The Chiefs will not keep more than 3 MLBs on the squad.

Alright damn it, get it right, Chi said it was son.

Besides, Mitchell, Scanlon and Boomer is 3 by my count.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-29-2005, 02:04 PM
With the Pats "shit player-friendly" defense, even Scanlon would be awesome for them.

Mr. Laz
07-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Alright damn it, get it right, Chi said it was son.

Besides, Mitchell, Scanlon and Boomer is 3 by my count.

give my thread back to monty, ya bastige! :cuss:

Undertaker #59
07-29-2005, 03:08 PM
Here is another little tidbit from Mike Reiss about Monty from today:

* Free-agent middle linebacker Monty Beisel is playing at 245 pounds, which is about 5 pounds heavier than his playing weight from last year. I dont feel like Ive lost a step, he said.

SNR
07-29-2005, 03:16 PM
DAMMIT CARL! :cuss:

Monty Beisel will be the next Joe Horn

Thig Lyfe
07-29-2005, 03:16 PM
Dammit Carl! :cuss:

Undertaker #59
08-15-2005, 11:36 AM
Beisel works to ease concern at LB
By Karen Guregian/ Patriots Notebook
Monday, August 15, 2005 - Updated: 07:20 AM EST

FOXBORO There remains worry and concern over the Patriots' linebacking corps, and how it will ultimately fare with the losses of Tedy Bruschi and Ted Johnson.

During Friday night's exhibition win in Cincinnati, Monty Beisel at least showed some flashes of why Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli signed him as an unrestricted free agent. The linebacker led the team in tackles with five (three solo) in the 23-13 win over the Bengals at Paul Brown Stadium.

``Monty did some good things out there,'' Belichick said. ``He had a lot of positive plays, some he could have done better . . . some things that were new to him, even though we've seen them in practice and talked about them. But at game speed, it happens a little bit different, a little bit quicker.

``Monty is very much like (rookie cornerback Ellis Hobbs). It's important to him. He understands what you want to do. If it's not right, it's important to him to get it right and figure out where he should be on the play, or how he should play it.''

As for Beisel, he basically sees the situation as a work in progress.

``I think for the first game it went pretty smoothly,'' Beisel said. ``Obviously, we still have a long ways to go. But I think for the most part, we played pretty solid.

``We made some mistakes, but, as I said, for the most part, we did pretty well.''

Mr. Laz
08-15-2005, 11:42 AM
The linebacker led the team in tackles with five (three solo) in the 23-13 win over the Bengals at Paul Brown Stadium.

``Monty did some good things out there,'' Belichick said. ``He had a lot of positive plays, some he could have done better . . . some things that were new to him, even though we've seen them in practice and talked about them. But at game speed, it happens a little bit different, a little bit quicker

Go Monty :D

i hope he does good

thanks for the update!!! :clap:

Ebolapox
08-15-2005, 11:48 AM
let me be the first to say...

f*ck monty beisel

-EB-

DaWolf
08-15-2005, 11:50 AM
It's interesting to me how the Pats seem to like our LB's (they get Monty and tried to get MaSLOWski a couple of years back) yet we suck with them.

Wonder what this team would have been like had Belichick actually agreed to interview with Carl back in '99 (He was Carl's first choice at the time but declined to interview, I assume because he wanted to say in the East Coast, so we got Gunther)...

htismaqe
08-15-2005, 11:55 AM
It's interesting to me how the Pats seem to like our LB's (they get Monty and tried to get MaSLOWski a couple of years back) yet we suck with them.

Wonder what this team would have been like had Belichick actually agreed to interview with Carl back in '99 (He was Carl's first choice at the time but declined to interview, I assume because he wanted to say in the East Coast, so we got Gunther)...

It's because we like to draft tweeners that we don't know how to use. Belichik knows how to use them.

Annihilus
08-16-2005, 02:26 PM
Go Monty :D

i hope he does good

thanks for the update!!! :clap:

Missed this thread earlier, but wanted to add the ol' .02.

Monty was a one man highlight reel in Friday's game - all over the field and in on nearly every defensive play that he was on the field.

Granted it was a meaningless exhibition game, but he was surely energetic and made some good plays.

Why for he left the Chiefs? Aren't you guys supposed to be in need of good defensive players? Did Beisel just not get it done when he was a member of the Chiefs?

philfree
08-16-2005, 02:33 PM
Monty pretty much gave us a kick in the shin and bolted to NE. We wanted to keep him and I doubt the money was much different from staying or going so fock him and the horse he road out on.

PhilFree:arrow:

Kyle401
08-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Monty pretty much gave us a kick in the shin and bolted to NE. We wanted to keep him and I doubt the money was much different from staying or going so fock him and the horse he road out on.

I think he actually took less than what KC offered. But, I don't think that he was convinced that he would be offered a fair and open competition for a starting spot. I think he felt like he should have been a full-time starter last year and not a utility LB. NE offered him a chance to compete as a starter and he jumped on it. Besides since they play 4 LB's, he ought to have a better shot at getting on the field.

Bowser
08-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Key Fox OWNZEDED Monty.

Mr. Laz
08-16-2005, 03:15 PM

typical BS :rolleyes:

we changed his position at least 3 times since he came to the chiefs and didn't give a real chance to start at any of those positions.

we drafted to replace him before he got a quality chance

and the chiefs all but told everyone that kawika mitchell was the starter

Beisel was the designated utility backup/special team around here

you expect him to pass up a real chance to play for that?

heck ... people around here insisted he sucked as well

good for him ... i hope he starts and makes the pro bowl and gives Vermeil the big middle finger salute on during the pro bowl intros

Rain Man
08-16-2005, 03:28 PM
If the previous posts are accurate, we should be saluting a guy who takes less money in exchange for a better chance to start. Isn't that the type of professional athlete that we want to see?

KC Dan
08-16-2005, 03:38 PM
If the previous posts are accurate, we should be saluting a guy who takes less money in exchange for a better chance to start. Isn't that the type of professional athlete that we want to see?
Fug him, he's not a Chief...

Rain Man
08-16-2005, 03:41 PM
Fug him, he's not a Chief...

That's an excellent counterpoint, and I can't argue with it.

philfree
08-16-2005, 04:59 PM
typical BS :rolleyes:

we changed his position at least 3 times since he came to the chiefs and didn't give a real chance to start at any of those positions.

we drafted to replace him before he got a quality chance

and the chiefs all but told everyone that kawika mitchell was the starter

Beisel was the designated utility backup/special team around here

you expect him to pass up a real chance to play for that?

heck ... people around here insisted he sucked as well

good for him ... i hope he starts and makes the pro bowl and gives Vermeil the big middle finger salute on during the pro bowl intros

I don't know if any other team would have given him a chance in the NFL or not when he came out of college. It won't matter in the long run though because he never played a full season for us without getting an injury that caused him to miss time. He won't last as a full time starter but he would've be great for us to keep as a STr and backup LB.

HolmeZz
08-16-2005, 05:55 PM
Hopefully, when it's all said and done, he comes back and retires a Chief. ;)