PDA

View Full Version : Hayes Hamburgers & Chili now open in Lawrence (Disappointed)

Braincase
07-29-2005, 06:06 PM
Picked up the kids tonight and decided to hit the new restaurant in town, Hayes Hamburgers & Chilli, another location of the restaurant of the same name in KC. Walked in, sat my kids down on the stools and waited... not a particularly busy night, a couple of tables with families... and waited... older guy can't figure out how to run the register... guy that just got off duty is sitting at a table with another cook, maybe the owner... still waiting... young guy gets up and start looking at the order placed minutes ago by the familes at the tables.... hey, there's nothing on deck, not a burger, and no fries have been dropped... "I'll be right with you sir" says the older guy, frustrated that the register is locked somehow and he can't get in... nobody is helping him figure it out... illiterate cook has figured out the first word on the first order... owner says he's gonna go get some buns, do we need anything else, two other employees sitting at the table shrug...

About that time my oldest daughter looks at me and asks, "Daddy, can we get Jade Garden instead?"

We ambled out, all four of us, wandered the 1000 feet down to Jade Garden. I'm sure they saw the containers of Chinese I carried back to the car, after all I had to walk right by the picture window to get back to the Expo. I made eye contact with the owner, I think he read my expression... "Strike One".

As we were pulling out, I think I saw the cook put some burgers down... the old guy was taking a fire axe to the cash register... the other two guys at the table shrugged.

Jade Garden tastes pretty good.

nychief
07-29-2005, 07:00 PM
the original hayes was great.

Valiant
07-29-2005, 07:04 PM
the original hayes was great.

Is, it is still there..

Skip Towne
07-29-2005, 07:52 PM
I enjoy walking out of stores when they ignore me or are slow to wait on me. I know it helps the next guy.