PDA

View Full Version : Night Crew

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 08:48 PM
So what's on the menu... I'm sitting here at work, chowing down on some Gates... washing it down with some Diet Dr. Pepper.

What's everyone else up to (you people that don't have to work really freakin' late).

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 09:06 PM
Fine... nevermind.

No night crew thread tonight.

:harumph:

Chiefs Pantalones
07-29-2005, 09:08 PM
I'm getting ready to watch Guess Who, and Alexander with my friends.

Seen any of those? Any good?

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 09:15 PM
I'm getting ready to watch Guess Who, and Alexander with my friends.

Seen any of those? Any good?
My reply does not mean this thread is open for business... I said "No." :harumph:

But since you asked a question, I'll oblige... Guess Who, haven't seen, but it got pretty universal bad reviews.

Alexander, complete and total crap. I thought Troy was complete and total crap, until I actually witnessed the complete and total crap that Alexander was. So... C/TC -- Complete/Total Crap. Alexander=C/TC. Actually, Alexander < C/TC.

I think I've made my point.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-29-2005, 09:17 PM
My reply does not mean this thread is open for business... I said "No." :harumph:

But since you asked a question, I'll oblige... Guess Who, haven't seen, but it got pretty universal bad reviews.

Alexander, complete and total crap. I thought Troy was complete and total crap, until I actually witnessed the complete and total crap that Alexander was. So... C/TC -- Complete/Total Crap. Alexander=C/TC. Actually, Alexander<C/TC.

I think I've made my point.

ROFL

Well, I guess I'll watch them and waste 4 hours of my life anyway. If I end up not liking them, thanks in advance.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 09:19 PM
ROFL

Well, I guess I'll watch them and waste 4 hours of my life anyway. If I end up not liking them, thanks in advance.
Good luck, and God speed. :thumb:

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 09:20 PM
I just realized something... Alexander was worse than Stealth.

Miles
07-29-2005, 09:21 PM
I went out a bit too hard last night so im staying in. Just watched Constantine and it was decent enough but i wasnt expecting much. Rachel Weisz is really hot.

Miles
07-29-2005, 09:22 PM
I just realized something... Alexander was worse than Stealth.

Yeah everything i have heard about Alexander is that its ultra shitty. Wouldnt suprise me if the directors cut is even more of a train wreck.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Alexander Thread (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105077&page=1&pp=80)

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Yeah everything i have heard about Alexander is that its ultra shitty. Wouldnt suprise me if the directors cut is even more of a train wreck.
Unless they let someone else make the director's cut than Oliver Stone...

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 09:33 PM
Miles, yesterday for my birthday I picked up the two Marx Bros. box sets... tomorrow: Animal Crackers, Duck Soup, and Horse Feathers. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

philfree
07-29-2005, 09:39 PM
Hanging with the night crew
Just trying to make some Chiefs Planet news

In the summer time

Sweet summer time summer time......................

PhilFree:arrow:

tommykat
07-29-2005, 09:40 PM

In the summer time

:bong:

Chiefs Pantalones
07-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Well we were going to watch those movies now, until we found out Jessica Simpson is going to be on the Tonight Show, both as a guest and performing. Should be nice.

We'll watch the movies afterward. hehe

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Well we were going to watch those movies now, until we found out Jessica Simpson is going to be on the Tonight Show, both as a guest and performing. Should be nice.

We'll watch the movies afterward. hehe
Prob'ly a good move... in the meantime... drink. Heavily. Drink. I suggest anything with 100 proof or better. Should make Alexander better. Sure as hell can't hurt it... also, drop some acide about 1:15 into it... the middle will make more sense that way.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-29-2005, 09:49 PM
Prob'ly a good move... in the meantime... drink. Heavily. Drink. I suggest anything with 100 proof or better. Should make Alexander better. Sure as hell can't hurt it... also, drop some acide about 1:15 into it... the middle will make more sense that way.

ROFL dang that bad?

philfree
07-29-2005, 09:50 PM
:bong:

Nope not right now. Just high on winning the golf tournement. I'm gonna go pick up some supplies to shake up some apple martini's though. I dedicate todays win to you by the way :toast:

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 09:52 PM
ROFL dang that bad?
There's one scene in particular about 2/3 through where Stone uses this red/pink filter for some crap artistic effect... not sure what it was, except that it probably would have made a lot more sense if I'd been stoned. It was weird.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 09:53 PM
And... I"m not sure that it's really as bad as I'm making it out... but if you're going to watch it anyway, maybe if I make it out to be worse than it really is, you'll enjoy it a little. My problem is that I was looking forward to it.

Jenson71
07-29-2005, 09:55 PM
Alexander Thread (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105077&page=1&pp=80)

Interesting recall. So, a few months later, is Citizen Kane still the best movie you've seen? And is The Godfather still your favorite?

cdcox
07-29-2005, 09:58 PM

In the summer time

PhilFree on a rare non-Chiefs related jag...

I only have that one on LP. Gonna have to dig it out and put it on.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 09:58 PM
Interesting recall. So, a few months later, is Citizen Kane still the best movie you've seen? And is The Godfather still your favorite?
As a film, Citizen Kane is probably the best I've ever seen. The Godfather has been my favorite film for over a decade, so I doubt that's changing any time soon. I watched that film when I was 9 with my dad... my mom went out of town for a business trip and my dad rented it for us. Kind of a bonding experience, I guess... I don't think he knew what that one day would mean to me for the rest of my life. And my mom still gets pissed about it... :ROFL:

Mr. Kotter
07-29-2005, 10:00 PM
PARTY!!! at FMB's!!! Yooooo-HHHHHooooooo!!!! :rockon:

Fuggin', hey....who's got the brew? Who's got the bud? Heh. :hmmm:

heh.... :redface:

Actually, just mellowing with a seven-and-seven at the moment. :)

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 10:01 PM
Hey Jenson... how's those rewrites coming along? I just started doing some storyboards for the short I'm working on... since you're a student, check this out... it retails for $300, but you can get it for about $150 at studica.com... I just bought it for myself. And they're updating it ALL THE TIME!

FrameForge 3D Studio (http://www.frameforge3d.com)

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 10:02 PM
PARTY!!! at FMB's!!! Yooooo-HHHHHooooooo!!!! :rockon:

Fuggin', hey....who's got the brew? Who's got the bud? Heh. :hmmm:

heh.... :redface:

Actually, just mellowing with a seven-and-seven at the moment. :)
Just go easy on my wife, okay? She's gotta work in the morning.

Mr. Kotter
07-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Just go easy on my wife, okay? She's gotta work in the morning.

ROFL

Shit....thanks, man. Talk about hospitality....heh. ROFL

Jenson71
07-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Hey Jenson... how's those rewrites coming along? I just started doing some storyboards for the short I'm working on... since you're a student, check this out... it retails for $300, but you can get it for about $150 at studica.com... I just bought it for myself. And they're updating it ALL THE TIME!

FrameForge 3D Studio (http://www.frameforge3d.com)

I'm expanding it. I'm going into the boy's past and the mother is becoming a sympathetic character in the latest draft.

However, it wont be filmed, at least this summer. Due to expenses. I want to film with two cameras.

Give us a Top 10 Best Films...

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 10:07 PM
No more than three of you at a time, and ABSOLUTELY NO dp's.

Jenson71
07-29-2005, 10:09 PM
ROFL

Shit....thanks, man. Talk about hospitality....heh. ROFL

Can you go 3 posts without using the word "heh"?

Mr. Kotter
07-29-2005, 10:10 PM
No more than three of you at a time, and ABSOLUTELY NO dp's.

I almost hate to admit this...but, I had to google "dp" from the time you posted in the "In Da Butt" thread....so, at least this time I know what you are talking about. No "dps" dude, scout's honor....unless, of course, Phil shows up.... ;)

Mr. Kotter
07-29-2005, 10:11 PM
Can you go 3 posts without using the word "heh"?

No. heh. :p

Jenson71
07-29-2005, 10:12 PM
No. heh. :p

I don't know where you picked it up from, but it's really annoying.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 10:13 PM
I'm expanding it. I'm going into the boy's past and the mother is becoming a sympathetic character in the latest draft.

However, it wont be filmed, at least this summer. Due to expenses. I want to film with two cameras.

Give us a Top 10 Best Films...
Top 2 are set: Citizen Kane, The Godfather...

3-10 are in no particular order:

The Godfather II
Lawrence of Arabia
All About Eve
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Dr. Strangelove
Vertigo
Schindler's List

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 10:13 PM
I almost hate to admit this...but, I had to google "dp" from the time you posted in the "In Da Butt" thread....so, at least this time I know what you are talking about. No "dps" dude, scout's honor....unless, of course, Phil shows up.... ;)
ROFL

Jenson71
07-29-2005, 10:14 PM
They're all American?...

Miles
07-29-2005, 10:15 PM

The Godfather II
Lawrence of Arabia
All About Eve
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Dr. Strangelove
Vertigo
Schindler's List

Havent seen All About Eve. Guess I should put it in my queue.

Mr. Kotter
They're all American?...

What's wrong with that? You a commie? Or worse, FRENCH? :hmmm:

:banghead:

jk, Jens... ;)

Miles
They're all American?...

I was thinking the same thing.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 10:22 PM
They're all American...
Sorry, that's my normal person list... here's the real Top 10.

Citizen Kane
The Godfather
The Godfather II
The 7th Seal
The Seven Samurai
Lawrence of Arabia
Vertigo
Kagemusha
Metropolis

Foreign Film Honorable Mentions:
Run Lola, Run!, Samurai Trilogy, Abre Los Ojos, Russian Ark, & La Règle du jeu (Rules of the Game).

cdcox
07-29-2005, 10:22 PM
cdcox's comentary on 3-10 ( 1 and 2 are stone cold solid)

The Godfather II good flick
Lawrence of Arabia snoozevillle
2001 snoozeville deluxe
All About Eve good flick
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest good flick, but not top 10 material
Dr. Strangelove snoozevillle
Vertigo need to see it again
Schindler's List does depressing make a great film?

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 10:25 PM
cdcox's comentary on 3-10 ( 1 and 2 are stone cold solid)
Obviously not a Kubrick fan... and Schindler's List is damn near perfect.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 10:27 PM
Sorry for forgetting who I was talking to, Jenson and Miles... I usually leave out the foreign films when someone asks me my top 10, because they want to know what to watch... and most people don't want to watch foreign films.

cdcox
07-29-2005, 10:29 PM

I think it exploits emotion to the point that it is unwatchable. I endured it once, but have no desire to see it again.

philfree
07-29-2005, 10:29 PM
PhilFree on a rare non-Chiefs related jag...

I only have that one on LP. Gonna have to dig it out and put it on.

I woke last night to the sound of thunder
How far off i sat and wondered
Started humming a song fron 1962
Ain't it funny how the night moves
With autum closing in.............................

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 10:32 PM
And on a completely different note... I'm thoroughly convinced burnt ends will be served in Heaven.

nychief
07-29-2005, 10:32 PM

Schindler's List is a self indulgent crap sandwich. Only SS would wheel out the actual jewish survivors at the end of the film. The only top notch performance is Finnes, IMO.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 10:34 PM
Schindler's List is a self indulgent crap sandwich. Only SS would wheel out the actual jewish survivors at the end of the film. The only top notch performance is Finnes, IMO.
You're wrong. :harumph:

Normally, I am more than willing to let people have their own opinions... but... you're wrong. :harumph:

Miles
07-29-2005, 10:34 PM

The only time i watched it was back when it was in the theaters. Its just too brutal to ever want to see it again.

Mr. Kotter
07-29-2005, 10:36 PM

Let me guess, you are of Arab descent? :rolleyes:

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 10:37 PM
The only time i watched it was back when it was in the theaters. Its just too brutal to ever want to see it again.
I guess I go for the brutal, hyper-emotional stuff. I really love it when a film can move me to tears or piss me off or depress the hell out of me. None of that is very difficult, though, because I completely emmerse myself in the experience.

Mr. Kotter
07-29-2005, 10:38 PM

As an Amnesty International director....your view of the Israeli-Palestinean troubles probably colors that assessment, a wee bit...wouldn't you say?

I'm not Jewish; and FMB is absolutely right, IMO....it's top ten for sure.

nychief
07-29-2005, 10:40 PM
You're wrong. :harumph:

Normally, I am more than willing to let people have their own opinions... but... you're wrong. :harumph:

No. Schindler's List wants to be a great movie, but falls well short. The technocoloring of the little girl's red jacket? Could we be more heavy handed? I think not. And if you like to watch actors chew scenery ("This watch... this watch could have saved a child... -- SIGH).

Miles
07-29-2005, 10:41 PM
I guess I go for the brutal, hyper-emotional stuff. I really love it when a film can move me to tears or piss me off or depress the hell out of me. None of that is very difficult, though, because I completely emmerse myself in the experience.

I usually do as well, but Schlindlers List is just too much. By far the most depressing movie I have seen.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 10:42 PM
No. Schindler's List wants to be a great movie, but falls well short. The technocoloring of the little girl's red jacket? Could we be more heavy handed? I think not. And if you like to watch actors chew scenery ("This watch... this watch could have saved a child... -- SIGH).
Yeah..... well.... who's the professional critic here, huh? Huh?

:p

nychief
07-29-2005, 10:43 PM
Let me guess, you are of Arab descent? :rolleyes:

S.S. bringing the actual surviors out of at the end is laughable. He did the same stupid thing at the end of "Private Ryan" with the freakin' flashback..."did I live a good life?".

vomit.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 10:43 PM
I usually do as well, but Schlindlers List is just too much. By far the most depressing movie I have seen.
Check out Requiem for a Dream... that'll cure all that ails you.

Mr. Kotter
07-29-2005, 10:45 PM
S.S. bringing the actual surviors out of at the end is laughable. He did the same stupid thing at the end of "Private Ryan" with the freakin' flashback..."did I live a good life?".

vomit.

How ironic, you the lib....eschewing emotion....me the con, finding it moving...the world's weird, I guess.

Fair enough, then. :)

nychief

he speaks the truth... it is like snorting "Six Feet Under."

Miles

Nah I didnt think that was even close to as depressing as Schindlers list.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 10:46 PM
:shake:

To each his own I suppose.

Mr. Kotter
07-29-2005, 10:48 PM

I have a hard time experiencing reality as "depressing"--it causes me to become angry and resolved, not depressed. Interesting, how it affects different people I guess... :hmmm:

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 11:08 PM
Jenson, did you check out that link?

Nzoner
07-29-2005, 11:39 PM
The Godfather has been my favorite film for over a decade, so I doubt that's changing any time soon. I watched that film when I was 9 with my dad... my mom went out of town for a business trip and my dad rented it for us. Kind of a bonding experience, I guess... I don't think he knew what that one day would mean to me for the rest of my life. And my mom still gets pissed about it... :ROFL:

It's my dad and I's favorite movie as well,my step-mom and wife are always commenting on how we can watch the same movie over and over and.....

I actually read the book in 5th grade,went to do an oral report at the library for a summer reading program and the librarian didn't believe me at least until I started the report.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 11:43 PM
It's my dad and I's favorite movie as well,my step-mom and wife are always commenting on how we can watch the same movie over and over and.....

I actually read the book in 5th grade,went to do an oral report at the library for a summer reading program and the librarian didn't believe me at least until I started the report.
That's awesome... it's actually one of the things that got me and my wife together to begin with. She kinda had the same experience with her dad... she was a bit of a tomboy, and her mom and her sister are VERY girly... her dad needed someone to watch The Godfather with, so it was her.

Rausch
07-29-2005, 11:46 PM

Or make you want to slit both your wrists...gah....what a depressing mind**** of a film... :shake:

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 11:47 PM
Or make you want to slit both your wrists...gah....what a depressing mind**** of a film... :shake:
Yup... :thumb:

Rausch
07-29-2005, 11:52 PM

Citizen Kane
The Godfather
The Godfather II
The 7th Seal
The Seven Samurai
Lawrence of Arabia
Vertigo
Kagemusha
Metropolis

Awesome flick. The Shape Of Things To Come was also kick azz. It was amazing what Wells was able to see about the future of war and technology...

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 11:54 PM
Awesome flick. The Shape Of Things To Come was also kick azz. It was amazing what Wells was able to see about the future of war and technology...
I absolutely adore Fritz Lang's work, but Metropolis topped them all, IMO.

Nzoner
07-30-2005, 12:04 AM
and most people don't want to watch foreign films.

Although I haven't seen alot of them,I've enjoyed most everyone.

City Of God
Man Bites Dog
The Vanishing
Audition
The Wages Of Fear
Irreversible
Baise Moi

Rausch
07-30-2005, 12:11 AM
Although I haven't seen alot of them,I've enjoyed most everyone.

City Of God
Man Bites Dog
The Vanishing
Audition
The Wages Of Fear
Irreversible
Baise Moi

Yay for french cinema!

:rolleyes:

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 12:13 AM
Yay for french cinema!
:rolleyes:
French cinema rules, man...

luv
07-30-2005, 01:43 AM
My supervisor took the night off and left me in charge. She repaid me by giving me a beer when I went over after work. Now that I'm home, I think I'll have another. :D

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 01:52 AM
My supervisor took the night off and left me in charge. She reapid me by giving me a beer when I went over after work. Now that I'm home, I think I'll have another. :D
First of all, what is "reapid"?

And... :thumb:

luv
07-30-2005, 01:56 AM
First of all, what is "reapid"?

And... :thumb:
It was supposed to say raped, but I decided I'd better say repaid.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 02:00 AM
It was supposed to say raped, but I decided I'd better say repaid.
Well, raped is what I thought, but didn't figure that was right... repaid makes mroe sense.

luv
07-30-2005, 02:02 AM
Well, raped is what I thought, but didn't figure that was right... repaid makes mroe sense.
You thought she raped me with a beer? Sicko perv! Although the curve in the bottle could be the....nah, the neck is too short. Never mind.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 02:04 AM
You thought she raped me with a beer? Sicko perv! Although the curve in the bottle could be the....nah, the neck is too short. Never mind.
I've seen stranger things on the Internet...

Actually, "reaped" -- the only word I could come up with was raped, and like I said... that didn't make sense.

luv
07-30-2005, 02:05 AM
I've seen stranger things on the Internet...

Actually, "reaped" -- the only word I could come up with was raped, and like I said... that didn't make sense.
I simply had the p and the a transposed.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 02:06 AM
I simply had the p and the a transposed.
Even then, you have "repaed" -- which is closer but still not the right word. :shake:

luv
07-30-2005, 02:10 AM
reapid

Switch the a and p, and what do you have? Repaid.

Pants
07-30-2005, 02:11 AM
You thought Troy was shitty? Wow, it only had the best sword fight ever, not to mention the awesome way it explained the myth behind Achilles' heel.

luv
07-30-2005, 02:14 AM
You thought Troy was shitty? Wow, it only had the best sword fight ever, not to mention the awesome way it explained the myth behind Achilles' heel.
And it showed Brad Pitt's ass. Always a plus. :thumb:

Pants
07-30-2005, 02:15 AM
And it showed Brad Pitt's ass. Always a plus. :thumb:

OK...

tk13
07-30-2005, 02:16 AM
reapid

Switch the a and p, and what do you have? Repaid.
And turn those letters completely around, and what do you have? Diaper.

luv
07-30-2005, 02:18 AM
OK...
Sorry, just drinking a little and not paying attention. You were speaking of the movie Troy, right? Orlando Bloom is hot, and it showed Brad Pitt's ass in the beginning. I'm not a huge fan of Brad otherwise. I thought the movie was good along with those two points though.

luv
07-30-2005, 02:20 AM
And turn those letters completely around, and what do you have? Diaper.
Uh-huh. I can take a hint. You're calling me a baby. :harumph:

That, or you're really good at unscrambling words. :thumb:

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 02:22 AM
I thought the character development in Troy was non-existant, making for characters that you neither sympathize with, nor care about... it needed to be about 40 minutes shorter, and the ONLY good thing about it was O'Toole's performance as the aging Priam. Brian Cox and Eric Bana were acceptable in their roles, but again... undeveloped. THEN, you talk about the liberties taken with the story... sheesh. Total crap. But not as much crap as Alexander.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 02:24 AM
Sorry, upon further investigation, I've found that you were right in your 1 typo in "reapid."

:sulk:

tk13
07-30-2005, 02:24 AM
Uh-huh. I can take a hint. You're calling me a baby. :harumph:

Or saying that you're full of crap. I haven't decided yet.

Pants
07-30-2005, 02:26 AM
I thought the character development in Troy was non-existant, making for characters that you neither sympathize with, nor care about... it needed to be about 40 minutes shorter, and the ONLY good thing about it was O'Toole's performance as the aging Priam. Brian Cox and Eric Bana were acceptable in their roles, but again... undeveloped. THEN, you talk about the liberties taken with the story... sheesh. Total crap. But not as much crap as Alexander.

What liberties? It's been a while since I read The Iliad...

As far as character development... I'm no film critic but I have to disagree.

luv
07-30-2005, 02:31 AM
Or saying that you're full of crap. I haven't decided yet.
I saw a new Burger King commercial tonight. The King was sitting in the back seat of some dude's car. Hands him a burger. It was about being open late.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 02:32 AM
Where to begin... the Gods took an active role in the war, Achilles died BEFORE the Trojan Horse (shot in the heel with an arrow by Paris of Troy), the war lasted something like 12 years... lots of stuff.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 02:33 AM

As far as character development... I'm no film critic but I have to disagree.
Well I am a critic... and you'd be wrong. :harumph:

j/k, btw

luv
07-30-2005, 02:33 AM
Where to begin... the Gods took an active role in the war, Achilles died BEFORE the Trojan Horse (shot in the heel with an arrow by Paris of Troy), the war lasted something like 12 years... lots of stuff.
Gods in this case would not have a capital G. They have proper names.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 02:34 AM
Gods in this case would not have a capital G. They have proper names.

For old times sake...

http://www.beingfamous.com/images/fun/silky.gif

luv
07-30-2005, 02:35 AM
ROFL

Pants
07-30-2005, 02:39 AM

The gods? The film tries to portray a historical event, which Homer romanticized in The Illiad. Do you believe the gods actually helped Agamemnon when he fought the Trojans? Do you worship Zeus and Co. today?

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 02:45 AM
The gods? The film tries to portray a historical event, which Homer romanticized in The Illiad. Do you believe the gods actually helped Agamemnon when he fought the Trojans?
The movie is based on the Iliad... there were clear cut references to the gods... but put that aside... time being shortened by about 11 and 1/2 years, MAJOR events like Achilles BEING DEAD before the Trojan horse... that's the reason they made the damn thing. They could win as long as they had Achilles... when the didn't have him to fight, they had to come up with a Plan B.

My major disappiontments, though, were character choices. I though Brad Pitt (and I'm usually a fan) was really poorly cast. He had about as much dramatic effectiveness as a pair of clown shoes. And while substantial on the outside, his performance, much like those clown shoes, was hollow. I thought, as I mentioned before, Bloom, Bana and Cox were poorly utilized, and the ONLY performance really worth mentioning was that of Peter O'Toole.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 02:47 AM
I can overlook changes to the source material, but Petersen (the director) needed a better vision... casting was poor, the script was sub-par, and the film could easily be edited to be about 40 minutes shorter.

luv
07-30-2005, 02:50 AM
The movie is based on the Iliad... there were clear cut references to the gods... but put that aside... time being shortened by about 11 and 1/2 years, MAJOR events like Achilles BEING DEAD before the Trojan horse... that's the reason they made the damn thing. They could win as long as they had Achilles... when the didn't have him to fight, they had to come up with a Plan B.

My major disappiontments, though, were character choices. I though Brad Pitt (and I'm usually a fan) was really poorly cast. He had about as much dramatic effectiveness as a pair of clown shoes. And while substantial on the outside, his performance, much like those clown shoes, was hollow. I thought, as I mentioned before, Bloom, Bana and Cox were poorly utilized, and the ONLY performance really worth mentioning was that of Peter O'Toole.
Phooey, they couldn't kill one of the main characters off until the end of the movie! It may not be "exact", but movies of this nature usually aren't. You get the point of everything, and they added or took away things here and there for dramatic effect. Hard to be accurate to the story and appeal to the masses.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 02:52 AM
Hard to be accurate to the story and appeal to the masses.
And that is part of the problem... Hollywood feels they need to "appeal to the masses" and consequently change things that shouldn't be changed. This story is legendary... that's why it's still around after this long. Don't **** with it.

luv
07-30-2005, 02:54 AM
And that is part of the problem... Hollywood feels they need to "appeal to the masses" and consequently change things that shouldn't be changed. This story is legendary... that's why it's still around after this long. Don't **** with it.
Appealing to the masses is what makes them $$$.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 02:54 AM
And by the way... they don't make epic films like this to appeal to the masses. They make Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock, and Jerry Bruckheimer movies to appeal to the masses. Epics, while I like them, are cinematic masturbation.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 02:56 AM
Appealing to the masses is what makes them $$$.
And that is where they are failing the art. Good films appeal to the masses, luv. It doesn't matter if it's happy or sad... a good film will draw an audience. Hollywood feels they need to **** with a good story to make them money. They don't get that ****ing with a good story lessens the impact of that story, and consequently makes for a worse film. Hollywood doesn't give the audience enough credit.

luv
07-30-2005, 02:56 AM
And by the way... they don't make epic films like this to appeal to the masses. They make Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock, and Jerry Bruckheimer movies to appeal to the masses. Epics, while I like them, are cinematic masturbation.
Why do you think they cast Orlando and Brad. They appeal to the masses. They may have tried to make an epic, but it all boils down to making $$$.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 02:59 AM
THe #1 money maker box office is Titanic... it doesn't exactly end all butterflies and roses. And while the film isn't great, the story is.

luv
07-30-2005, 02:59 AM
Anyway, while I may be trying to provide you with stimulating conversation to keep you awake, I'm beat, and it is my bedtime. Pleasure, as usual.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 03:00 AM
Anyway, while I may be trying to provide you with stimulating conversation to keep you awake. I'm beat, and it is my bedtime. Pleasure, as usual.
You too... :thumb:

G'night.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 03:01 AM
Now where'd Metro go?

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 03:21 AM
luv2rite
(Teamwork....)
Last Activity: Today 04:15 AM
Currently: Viewing Thread Powerful Liquid!!!! @ 04:15 AM

I thought you were going to bed... are you avoiding me?

Rausch
07-30-2005, 03:54 AM
I can overlook changes to the source material, but Petersen (the director) needed a better vision... casting was poor, the script was sub-par, and the film could easily be edited to be about 40 minutes shorter.

On the positive side I thought it was pretty cool how they set up The Aeneid at the end.

Sure, it was probably there just find a reason to make a sequel, but I liked it...

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 03:55 AM
No... there was no positive side, Rausch. None.

Rausch
07-30-2005, 03:55 AM

Obsess much?...

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 03:56 AM
Obsess much?...
No... why?

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 03:57 AM
Why, Rauch?

Fried Meat Ball!
Seriously... why?

Fried Meat Ball!
Rausch?

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 03:58 AM
Come on man, why?

Fried Meat Ball!
I won't be ignored.

Fried Meat Ball!
What did I do?

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 04:00 AM
Please answer me... :deevee:

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 04:00 AM
OK... I'm done.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 04:01 AM
Last Activity: Today 05:00 AM
Currently: Replying to Thread My creation has come alive! @ 05:00 AM
What's up with this, Rausch? Why won't you reply to me? Huh?

Rausch
07-30-2005, 04:02 AM
I won't be ignored.

You underestimate my attention span...

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 04:03 AM
You underestimate my attention span...
ROFL

Pants
07-30-2005, 04:18 AM

Dude, I'm beginning to doubt you even saw the movie. In it, the main characters were clearly doubting the idea of gods helping humans, but rather humans having to do everything on their own. Achilles and Hector were two clear examples of this, so was Odysseus. The movie was about the Trojan war, it just so happens Homer's Iliad is the only source that recounts the events taking place there - that doesn't mean movie was based on The Iliad (an actual event romanticized by Homer to inlcude the Greek beliefs of the time).

Seriously how could you have not liked Pitt as Achilles (apart from the blond hair)? He was incredibly intense during the whole movie. You talk of undeveloped characters while I find if refreshing to see a "hero" that fights purely for selfish reasons (until later when he tries to save his love) instead of the default fighting for the people and the nation, which, here, was portrayed through Hector.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 04:28 AM
Dude, I'm beginning to doubt you even saw the movie. In it, the main characters were clearly doubting the idea of gods helping humans, but rather humans having to do everything on their own. Achilles and Hector were two clear examples of this, so was Odisseus. The movie was about the Trojan war, it just so happens Homer's Iliad is the only sours that recounts the events taking place there - that doesn't mean movie was based on The Iliad (an actual event romanticized by Homer to inlcude the Greek beliefs of the time).

Seriously how could you have not liked Pitt as Achilles (apart from the blond hair)? He was incredibly intense during the whole movie. You talk of undeveloped characters while I find if refreshing to see a "hero" that fights purely for selfish reasons (until later when he tries to save his love) instead of the default fighting for the people and the nation, which, here, was portrayed through Hector.
I've already dropped my complaint about the gods for this argument, so that's not really something to consider anymore.

But you're misunderstanding my meaning behind "character" -- I have no problem with a "hero that fights purely for selfish reasons". The problem is the character, whatever his reasons, are not developed. The single most important thing in any film is character development, the character's actions, speech, thought processes, motives must be believable within the confines of the film. In order to care about the characters, we must understand the characters. Even if we're to understand what makes them bad, or why they are jerks, we MUST understand them. We must have three dimensional characters, they must be fleshed out.

I didn't feel the characters in Troy were developed, and I'm not alone in that respect. You're welcome to your opinion, and I really am glad you thought it was good. I thought it was possibly the second worst film of last year.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 04:30 AM
Seriously how could you have not liked Pitt as Achilles (apart from the blond hair)? He was incredibly intense during the whole movie.
And by the way, I don't equate "intense" with "good." Heyden Christensen was incredibly intense throughout Star Wars: Episode III.

Pants
07-30-2005, 04:30 AM

Wow that just sounds like a bunch of ... err empty criticizm. Cox was awesome as Agamemnon, Bloom was good as well. Bana... ehh, I can sort of agree with you but that's probably only because I envisioned Hector's character different, not because he was poorly utilized.

I just loved that "clown shoes" analogy - that can be put in any movie review and sound really deep, heh.

Rausch
07-30-2005, 04:36 AM
Wow that just sounds like a bunch of ... err empty criticizm. Cox was awesome as Agamemnon, Bloom was good as well. Bana... ehh, I can sort of agree with you but that's probably only because I envisioned Hector's character different, not because he was poorly utilized.

I just loved that "clown shoes" analogy - that can be put in any movie review and sound really deep, heh.

Bana is just a ****ing terrible actor. I have yet to see him in anything where his acting was anything short of horrible.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 04:36 AM

Sorry, but performance is important. As a director, you cast and put people in roles that fit their strengths. My personal opinion, and that as both a critic and working filmmaker, is that Wolfgang Petersen did NOT do this, which is why Agamemnon could have been played by any other actor, Bloom was comletely limp in his role, and Bana was about as cardboard as you could get. It's poor directoral choice.

And your clown shoes comment... now you're just being a dick. Disagree all you want, I rather enjoy the conversation, but you don't gotta be a jerk.

Pants
07-30-2005, 04:40 AM
The single most important thing in any film is character development, the character's actions, speech, thought processes, motives must be believable within the confines of the film. In order to care about the characters, we must understand the characters. Even if we're to understand what makes them bad, or why they are jerks, we MUST understand them. We must have three dimensional characters, they must be fleshed out.

I did understand the characters when I was watching the film, IDK. I read one review where the critic was saying that the characters lacked any passion or meaning, I'm sorry but that's just f*cking stupid - the whole movie was centered not on the war but on the characters' passions - Paris' and Helen's love, Achilles search for eternal glory and Hector's loyalty to Troy (he hates to fight the war but it's something hemust do).

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 04:43 AM
I did understand the characters when I was watching the film, IDK. I read one review where the critic was saying that the characters lacked any passion or meaning, I'm sorry but that's just f*cking stupid - the whole movie was centered not on the war but on the characters' passions - Paris' and Helen's love, Achilles search for eternal glory and Hector's loyalty to Troy (he hates to fight the war but it's something hemust do).
I 100% agree that the movie was supposed to be centered on the characters' passions, but what that critic was saying, and I agree, is that we never saw that passion displayed. We were told that it was there, but it was never really on display.

Pants
And your clown shoes comment... now you're just being a dick. Disagree all you want, I rather enjoy the conversation, but you don't gotta be a jerk.

Actually, I was saying it was good and giving you props for coming up with something like that, as in I'll be using that from now on when arguing about movies.

Fried Meat Ball!
And what does IDK mean? I'm pretty dumb on these internet abbreviations.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 04:45 AM
Actually, I was saying it was good and giving you props for coming up with something like that, as in I'll be using that from now on when arguing about movies.
OK, sorry. One of the misunderstandings because we can't hear tone on the Internet... I guess I had my sarcasm filter set too sensitive.

:thumb:

Pants
07-30-2005, 04:47 AM
I 100% agree that the movie was supposed to be centered on the characters' passions, but what that critic was saying, and I agree, is that we never saw that passion displayed. We were told that it was there, but it was never really on display.

Maybe I'm not used to superb performances and subpar ones seem good to me, but I saw the passions in the characters, ESPECIALLY Achilles.

Pants
07-30-2005, 04:47 AM
And what does IDK mean? I'm pretty dumb on these internet abbreviations.

IDK = I don't know. I use to it make me "sound" unsure.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 04:48 AM
Maybe I'm not used to superb performances and subpar ones seem good to me, but I saw the passions in the characters, ESPECIALLY Achilles.
I saw the passions that were there, but felt the performances were phoned in. But this is why so many movies are put out... I'm sure there's a ton of films that I thoroughly enjoy that you'd hate, and vice versa.

Pants
07-30-2005, 04:50 AM
I saw the passions that were there, but felt the performances were phoned in. But this is why so many movies are put out... I'm sure there's a ton of films that I thoroughly enjoy that you'd hate, and vice versa.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Scorsese, lol.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 04:52 AM
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Scorsese, lol.
And I think Scorsese is a damn fine director... you don't care for Kubrick either, right? That man was a genius... IMO.

Pants
07-30-2005, 04:59 AM
And I think Scorsese is a damn fine director... you don't care for Kubrick either, right? That man was a genius... IMO.

No, I like Kubrick. I own CWO, FMJ and Strangelove. I still can't make myself watch The Shining - that movie f*cked me up when I saw it for the first time (I was probably around 10). No other movie has even come close to freaking me out like that.

Rausch
07-30-2005, 05:00 AM

Until Eyes Wide Shut, which was total dog$3it...

Pants
07-30-2005, 05:01 AM

ROFL

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 05:05 AM
And I thought Eyes Wide Shut was nearly a masterpiece. :shake:

Miles
07-30-2005, 06:48 AM
And I thought Eyes Wide Shut was nearly a masterpiece. :shake:

As much as i enjoyed Nicole Kidman in it, the movie was just not good at all.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-30-2005, 07:08 AM
As much as i enjoyed Nicole Kidman in it, the movie was just not good at all.
I love it as a psychological character study.

Jenson71
07-30-2005, 11:24 AM
I love it as a psychological character study.

Have you seen The Conversation?

I know, there's not a month that doesn't go by when I don't bring this movie up. Hell, I've probably even asked you before.

luv
07-30-2005, 11:30 AM
I did go to bed. I usually close out of everything when I go to bed. Once I got comfy (of course), I realized there was an email I forgot to send at work. After sending it, I saw that I had only minimized my CP. I opened it up, refreshed just to see what new posts there might have been, then closed it and went back to bed.

Is that okay with you? :p

Jenson71
07-30-2005, 11:35 AM

Citizen Kane
The Godfather
The Godfather II
The 7th Seal
The Seven Samurai
Lawrence of Arabia
Vertigo
Kagemusha
Metropolis

Foreign Film Honorable Mentions:
Run Lola, Run!, Samurai Trilogy, Abre Los Ojos, Russian Ark, & La Règle du jeu (Rules of the Game).

A Top (whatever) list is nothing but pure fun for a reader. Here's one of my own, leaving out films you already mentioned.

Tokyo Story
La Strada
Nights of Cabiria
Ikiru
The 400 Blows
Days of Heaven
On the Waterfront
Annie Hall
Wild Strawberries
Raging Bull

SLAG
01-24-2006, 12:11 AM
Night Crew anyone?

Simplex3
01-24-2006, 12:28 AM
Where's that drunk pig f**ker Halfcan? I need to rep him for that comment to QuickSpooger.

luv
01-24-2006, 12:32 AM
Where's that drunk pig f**ker Halfcan? I need to rep him for that comment to QuickSpooger.
I wish people would quit quoting him (QS). Makes it pointless to have him on ignore.

stumppy
01-24-2006, 12:35 AM

You should read the thread. It's fuggin hilarious. I laughed my ass off last night/

Bugeater
01-24-2006, 12:36 AM
I wish people would quit quoting him (QS). Makes it pointless to have him on ignore.

Who all are you ignoring?

luv
01-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Who all are you ignoring?
QS and his boyfriend, John Matrix.

Bugeater
01-24-2006, 12:42 AM

For something in particular, or just because they are generally annoying?

Simplex3
01-24-2006, 12:44 AM
Why ignore someone? It makes it harder to smack them around.

Simplex3
01-24-2006, 12:45 AM
You should read the thread. It's fuggin hilarious. I laughed my ass off last night/
Which thread? All I saw was Spooger's "Please stop hurting me" thread. ROFL

Bugeater
01-24-2006, 12:57 AM
Which thread? All I saw was Spooger's "Please stop hurting me" thread. ROFL

He has a link to it in that post.