PDA

View Full Version : NFT: How do you make the best burnt ends?

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 10:48 PM
OK, so I know it's brisket... but I've read some places that say use what you get, others say to cut them off and return them to the smoker. What gives?

Mr. Kotter
07-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Buy 'em at, Haywards? :D

cdcox
07-29-2005, 10:52 PM
OK, so I know it's brisket... but I've read some places that say use what you get, others say to cut them off and return them to the smoker. What gives?

I'm not an expert, but I've always heard that latter.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 10:52 PM
Buy 'em at, Haywards? :D
I very clearly wrote "make"... :cuss:

Fried Meat Ball!
07-29-2005, 11:56 PM
Anybody know how to make just burnt ends? That'd be awesome... could you do that by smoking the brisket, then slicing it all up, then returning it to the smoker?

htismaqe
07-30-2005, 06:44 AM
Burnt ends are made from the tip of the brisket -- the "pointed" end. You can make them with pork too, if you find the right-shaped butt.

I usually find it's not necessary to cut the end and return it to the smoker. If I'm careful about temp control (< 225) and I lay my brisket in with the pointy end towards the firebox, I get pretty good burnt ends while the thick end is just right.

To make JUST burnt ends, I would think you could just cut your brisket into strips and do it that way. Might end up kinda like jerky though...

J Diddy
07-30-2005, 06:46 AM
I very clearly wrote "make"... :cuss:

Then "make" a trip to Haywards

excessive
07-30-2005, 07:02 AM
[QUOTE=htismaqe]

I usually find it's not necessary to cut the end and return it to the smoker. If I'm careful about temp control (< 225) and I lay my brisket in with the pointy end towards the firebox, I get pretty good burnt ends while the thick end is just right.

Yep, that's the only way. You can't "make" good burnt ends. They just happen.

The Smokestack on Hickman Mills Drive (which spawned all the JackStack BBQs) had the best burnt ends ever. I used to pray they'd be available when I went to eat there. See, burnt ends are a rarity. They have to come from the tip, like htismaqe said, so they would sell out in a hurry because there's always a limited supply.

Then some genius came up with the idea of "making burnt ends." That way there would be an endless supply of what is naturally a limited, quality product. They cut up a roast and go through all this artificial crap to create some new kinda product. Whatever it is, and it may be good, but it ain't burnt ends.

Now, everyone has burnt ends on their menu, and you can get them at anytime. It's a poorer world we live in.

Adept Havelock
07-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Snead's BBQ, out past Loch Lloyd. Best Burnt Ends in town (they call them Brownies).

Hickory Pit in Lee's Summit isn't too bad either.

Skip Towne
07-30-2005, 09:29 AM
Years ago, Bryant's gave their burnt ends to the neighborhood kids. One of which was Frank White who grew up in the area.

redbrian
07-30-2005, 10:30 AM
Get a whole Brisket and smoke it then split the Brisket in half length wise, you will find that there is a natural line to split the brisket.

One side is nice and tender and pulls apart real easily the other half is a tougher cut of meat.

Take the tough half and rub with a KC style rub mix (i.e. brown sugar based with a good dash of heat), put it back on the smoker and smoke again.

Take off of the smoker and chop it up.

The key is you must use a whole brisket as opposed to one that has already been split.

htismaqe
07-30-2005, 10:37 AM
Get a whole Brisket and smoke it then split the Brisket in half length wise, you will find that there is a natural line to split the brisket.

One side is nice and tender and pulls apart real easily the other half is a tougher cut of meat.

Take the tough half and rub with a KC style rub mix (i.e. brown sugar based with a good dash of heat), put it back on the smoker and smoke again.

Take off of the smoker and chop it up.

The key is you must use a whole brisket as opposed to one that has already been split.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Thanks.