PDA

View Full Version : kcchiefs.com Q&A with DV 7/30 (morning)

Coogs
07-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Q&A with DICK VERMEIL
Jul 30, 2005, 12:03:41 PM

TRAINING CAMP

Morning
Q: Is RB Priest Holmes getting a little break today?

VERMEIL: “Yeah, we’ll just keep him on one-a-day with the pads.”

Q: How reassuring is it to have veterans like QB Trent Green and FB Tony Richardson on offense?

VERMEIL: “We like to say we’re not one of the older offensive teams, but we’re one of the vintage teams. If you study the history of the National Football League, some of the finest offensive teams in the league were very experienced, that’s especially true within the offensive line. So it gives you the flexibility to do a lot of things in volume and also execute pretty darn well. But we still continue to work like a younger offensive team would. Trent we have to monitor. We took him out of practice this morning on the recommendation of our trainer. He’ll probably practice this afternoon, but I haven’t heard yet.”

Q: Does Green have soreness in his arm?

VERMEIL: “He has a little soreness in his back. He strained it just a little bit yesterday. Nothing serious, but on an extension making a handoff on a running play believe it or not.”

Q: Are you surprised at the longevity Green has been able to display?

VERMEIL: “That’s a real testament to the offensive line. Obviously if you go through four knee operations and then come onto to an NFL team and the offensive line is not really sound and really good, it’s probably going to give you fits. Our offensive line happens to be a really good offensive line. That’s helped. The other thing is the philosophy within the overall passing game. It’s a very quick, rhythmic passing game and a guy with experience knows where he’s going with the ball quicker. He doesn’t hang on to it very much. And when he is forced to hang onto it and get to a third receiver on a read, the offensive line more often than not provides him the opportunity. So I think it all fits together.”

“Like I told the rookies the other day, ‘we’re only going to be keeping 53 guys plus eight on the practice squad.’ We’ve got 90 guys in uniform, so they better follow the lead of the guys in the meeting room that worked very hard in training camp, got cut and worked hard and kept going and finally they made it. If they’re determined enough, persistent enough and passionate enough about what they want to do, then they’ll have an opportunity. Trent Green I think is a perfect example of that, Casey Wiegmann’s a perfect example. We’ve got other guys on defense that are the same way. They worked hard to do what they wanted to do and they finally got enough repetition in a specific training camp or two and an opportunity and made it.”

Q: Do you indulge yourself at all in the satisfaction that acquiring a player like Trent Green turned out to be a great decision despite what critics may have said?

VERMEIL: “I don’t relish in that. I don’t compare myself to the critics. I just don’t get involved in that. First of all, for 14 years I was a critic. So I know a little bit about the other side of it. I don’t even get involved in trying to prove myself right, because sometimes I’m wrong. So if I’m not going to talk about that, then I’m not going to talk about the other.”

Q: Are you keeping G Will Shields out of both practices today?

VERMEIL: “Yes. We’re going to also let him get another exam from another party just for a third opinion. It’s his back.”

Q: Will you talk about WR Craphonso Thorpe and DE Khari Long finally being in camp?

VERMEIL: “It’s nice to have Craphonso. We anticipated having him here for the first three practices. It didn’t work. We’ve got him here now so it’s time for him to catch up and go to work. He’s got a lot of catching up to do.”

Q: How far behind is Thorpe?

VERMEIL: “Well, the fact that he was here all through the rookie and was able to come after May 16th and stay here and work every day, he’s not that far behind. He was a little bit behind period being a college wide receiver coming into an NFL camp, regardless of where you were drafted you have a lot of catching up to do. Which he does. Now that he’s here we can do something about it.”

Q: When did Will Shields hurt his back?

VERMEIL: “Will has always had a little back problem. It’s not a disc problem or anything. He’s got a little arthritis at the very bottom of his back. It pinches a nerve and then all of a sudden it grabs him. Our doctors think it’s something that can be resolved with patience and proper exercise. What they call back stabilization exercises. With a veteran like Will Shields, we’d only be working him one-a-day anyway. I think there was a period of time when Will wasn’t sure what he wanted to do in terms of coming back. I think that influenced his off-season preparation as well. I think he’s always much been further along in his preparation for the league opener than he is right now.”

Q: He’s not having any second thoughts now is he?

VERMEIL: “I don’t think so. I haven’t talked to him about it.”

bringbackmarty
07-30-2005, 11:36 AM
sounds like we could be having problems with injuries:banghead:

KCJake
07-30-2005, 11:38 AM
Q&A with DICK VERMEIL
Jul 30, 2005, 12:03:41 PM

Q: Are you keeping G Will Shields out of both practices today?

VERMEIL: “Yes. We’re going to also let him get another exam from another party just for a third opinion. It’s his back.”

Q: When did Will Shields hurt his back?

VERMEIL: “Will has always had a little back problem. It’s not a disc problem or anything. He’s got a little arthritis at the very bottom of his back. It pinches a nerve and then all of a sudden it grabs him. Our doctors think it’s something that can be resolved with patience and proper exercise. What they call back stabilization exercises. With a veteran like Will Shields, we’d only be working him one-a-day anyway. I think there was a period of time when Will wasn’t sure what he wanted to do in terms of coming back. I think that influenced his off-season preparation as well. I think he’s always much been further along in his preparation for the league opener than he is right now.”

Q: He’s not having any second thoughts now is he?

VERMEIL: “I don’t think so. I haven’t talked to him about it.”

Anyone else a little worried about this??

htismaqe
07-30-2005, 11:41 AM
Come on guys, don't panic.

This happens EVERY year. Guys get dinged up.

jiveturkey
07-30-2005, 11:44 AM
I'm not worrried. Even if the old fellar has to miss a game here and there we'll have Welborne ready to go and if I remember correctly Welborne is a pretty decent RG isn't he?

Iowanian
07-30-2005, 11:51 AM
I feel alot better about Shields being dinged, knowing that Welbourne is a MAULER at Guard.

beer bacon
07-30-2005, 11:51 AM
I'm not worrried. Even if the old fellar has to miss a game here and there we'll have Welborne ready to go and if I remember correctly Welborne is a pretty decent RG isn't he?

We are doomed, and you know it. Everyone knows what a glass vagina Shields is when gameday comes.

J Diddy
07-30-2005, 12:02 PM
We are doomed, and you know it. Everyone knows what a glass vagina Shields is when gameday comes.

I don't know about you but I would never mess with a glass vagina.

donkhater
07-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Actually, the only position we can't afford injury for an extended period is LT. Balck may be able to handle the job but it is a big unknown. Welbourne will be fine at RG.

Even if Trent were to lose a little time, I feel collins would fill in OK. It certainly wouldn't be optimum, but part of the reason why Trent has been successful in KC is because he gets good time and has a kick-ass running game. Many QB's would perform well under those conditions.

KCJake
07-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Come on guys, don't panic.
This happens EVERY year. Guys get dinged up.
This is a little more than guys getting dinged up. Over the off-season, Shields pondered retirement because of this injury. He decides to play another year. Now, 3 days into training camp and he is having "another exam from another party just for a third opinion." I think we should be a little concerned.

BigChiefFan
07-30-2005, 12:52 PM
I won't panic about Shields until he misses regular season games, afterall this is the guy who hasn't missed a game in forever.

milkman
07-30-2005, 06:29 PM
This is a little more than guys getting dinged up. Over the off-season, Shields pondered retirement because of this injury. He decides to play another year. Now, 3 days into training camp and he is having "another exam from another party just for a third opinion." I think we should be a little concerned.

I thought the issue he that was leading him to consider retirement was arthritic knees?

I don't remember any back problems being discussed.

Is my memory just failing me?

TRR
07-30-2005, 06:32 PM
I thought the issue he that was leading him to consider retirement was arthritic knees?

I don't remember any back problems being discussed.

Is my memory just failing me?

No back problem was ever mentioned. The only thing Shields said about his body was that last season it took him a lot longer to recover from a Sunday game, than it has in his entire career.

I think it's a little bit of a concern, but I don't think it's anything major. If this forces him to retire 3 days into camp, then I will be glad it happened now rather than later.

KChiefs1
07-30-2005, 06:41 PM

Yeah! The guy misses games all the time! ROFL

TRR
07-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Although this doesn't sound too good...

"Guard Will Shields again did not practice due to back problems. Shields will be flying to Kansas City, maybe tomorrow, where he will be getting a closer look at his back."

htismaqe
07-30-2005, 07:12 PM

Shields was contemplating retirement because of arthritic KNEES.

He tweaked his back. It's not chronic, it's NEW. He'll be fine.

stevieray
07-30-2005, 07:12 PM
I know it's speculation, but it seems WS has sounded like his heart just isn't into it this year.

milkman
07-30-2005, 07:22 PM
I know it's speculation, but it seems WS has sounded like his heart just isn't into it this year.

It could just be that his heart isn't into TC and preseason, but he'll get fired up as soon as the games matter.