PDA

View Full Version : Cable box question

chop
07-30-2005, 12:08 PM
I recently got a dual tuner cable box from comcast. I was wondering what the usb ports are used for. Anyone? I don't have manual on the box.

Mr. Laz
07-30-2005, 12:12 PM
I recently got a dual tuner cable box from comcast. I was wondering what the usb ports are used for. Anyone? I don't have manual on the box.
right now the usb ports for time warner boxes aren't enabled

at least that's what they say

i imagine in the future they will use it for some kind of intranet setup for their customers.

chop
07-30-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks.

CosmicPal
07-30-2005, 12:27 PM
It's so you can view your TV on your computer

4th and Long
07-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Screw cable. Get Direct TV.

Signed,
Skip Towne

J Diddy
07-30-2005, 01:03 PM

Signed,
Skip Towne

Screw cable and Direct tv. Get dish network.

Signed,
Me

Fruit Ninja
07-30-2005, 01:27 PM
dish doesnt have sunday ticket. so they get a big no vote. direct tv baby.

chop
07-30-2005, 02:22 PM

Signed,
Skip Towne

I switched back to cable a couple of years ago because my wife wanted local channels. I didn't take the dish down just in case I changed my mind.

chop
07-30-2005, 02:25 PM
right now the usb ports for time warner boxes aren't enabled

at least that's what they say

i imagine in the future they will use it for some kind of intranet setup for their customers.

I went over to Best Buy and I mentioned the usb ports on the comcast box and the guy told me that I can get an external harddrive that I can copy the programs to so I can put them on my computer. So I guess they are used on the comcast box.

ZootedGranny
07-30-2005, 03:44 PM
I don't have Comcast, but I know one of their boxes has an enabled firewire port, and with some software you can transfer the files to your computer.

Mr. Laz
07-30-2005, 04:05 PM
I went over to Best Buy and I mentioned the usb ports on the comcast box and the guy told me that I can get an external harddrive that I can copy the programs to so I can put them on my computer. So I guess they are used on the comcast box.
I don't have Comcast, but I know one of their boxes has an enabled firewire port, and with some software you can transfer the files to your computer.

fyi You need a tv tuner/video capture card as well

i just put a split on the coax on my time warner setup ... does the same thing i think.

ZootedGranny
07-30-2005, 04:20 PM
fyi You need a tv tuner/video capture card as well

Not in the case of the Comcast box I was thinking of. I found the thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=403695&page=1&pp=30

More likely is that Laz is right, and a capture card is the only way to go.

Mr. Laz
07-30-2005, 04:25 PM
Not in the case of the Comcast box I was thinking of. I found the thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=403695&page=1&pp=30

More likely is that Laz is right, and a capture card is the only way to go.
nice find ... i thought iT was illegal for devices to allow transferring a pure signal over to your computer?

like ripping a song off a CD?

if that works it would be great

Skip Towne
07-30-2005, 04:34 PM
I switched back to cable a couple of years ago because my wife wanted local channels. I didn't take the dish down just in case I changed my mind.
You can change your mind now if you wish. Directv has the locals from the dish everywhere now. It might take a different dish than you have but D* will give you the one you need.