PDA

View Full Version : Who Makes a Good Chip?

gblowfish
07-30-2005, 02:04 PM
This AM I stopped by the grocery store to pick up some weekend goodies. Needed some potato chips. I've always been partial to Guy's Potato Chips here in KC. When I was a kid they were HUGE, sponsored the Royals games, etc. They almost went bankrupt a few years ago, and have underwent many ownership changes, etc.

Anyway, the chip dude was just bringing a bunch in off the truck. I bought a bag..."just made fresh this morning" he said. Took em home and DAMN THEY"RE GOOD!!!

Do you have a favorite local or regional potato chip brand? I've had Charles Chips, Jay's Chips, Cape Cod Chips; I even remember old brands like Kitty Clover and Mother Goose Chips. Who makes the best?

I still love Guy's ridgies. Don't forget the Guy's!

htismaqe
07-30-2005, 02:51 PM
I like kettle-cooked chips.

The best I've found are actually at Jimmy John's.

Delano
07-30-2005, 02:54 PM
I also enjoy the kettle fried potatoe chips. My favorite brand is Dakota Style, made here in South Dakota. They make a great salt and vinegar chip. The jalepeno chips ain't half bad either.

Pants
07-30-2005, 02:57 PM
Here in KC we got these awesome chips called "Ruffles", they come in all kinds of flavors and are all really good. I guess I'm lucky that I live in KC, I couldn't live without them.

Miles
07-30-2005, 02:57 PM
Zapps are pretty good if they have them up there.

mlyonsd
07-30-2005, 03:00 PM
A freshly opened bag of the original Lays in the yellow bag....you can't eat just one.

My favorite BBQ was from Hiland. I don't know if they're made anymore cause I haven't seen them for years.

Miles
07-30-2005, 03:12 PM
Just remembered I had some English chips at a Scottish pub a few nights ago that were damn good. No idea what they were called though.

chop
07-30-2005, 03:14 PM
Whatever you do don't eat cow chips I heard they taste like ####.

Jenny Gump
07-30-2005, 03:15 PM
What makes a good Chip?

Well, with a name like "Chip", he's gonna have to make up for it in looks. But that's just my opinion.

chop
07-30-2005, 03:17 PM
Two bad jokes in a row. :D

redbrian
07-30-2005, 03:26 PM
Just remembered I had some English chips at a Scottish pub a few nights ago that were damn good. No idea what they were called though.

Those would be crisp, chips are served with fish, as in fish and chips :p

Miles
07-30-2005, 03:27 PM
Those would be crisp, chips are served with fish, as in fish and chips :p

Thanks, that was pretty helpful ;)

Pitt Gorilla
07-30-2005, 03:33 PM
I love the kettle-fried chips as well. My favorites are the Target brand, Archer Farms, for salt and vinegar. I'm sure their other kettle chips are good as well (I've only tried the salt and vinegar & olive oil and salt). They are great "fancy" chips. I also like the Jimmy John's brand as well as Mrs. Vicki's (sp?).

Aside from the kettles, I like Guys (when I can get them) and Backers, which are made in Fulton, MO. Guys used to have a snack mix that had Cheerios type things in it and it ruled. However, I haven't been able to find Guys stuff much anymore. If you haven't checked out Backers, get some of the German style or sour cream and onion.

Yes, I'm currently over-weight...

Rausch
07-30-2005, 03:34 PM
Prengles...

Pitt Gorilla
07-30-2005, 03:35 PM
A freshly opened bag of the original Lays in the yellow bag....you can't eat just one.

My favorite BBQ was from Hiland. I don't know if they're made anymore cause I haven't seen them for years.
You can still get the Hiland brand. I found them in a convenient store in southern Iowa. I think it was a Kum & Go (insert joke here).

mlyonsd
07-30-2005, 03:36 PM
You can still get the Hiland brand. I found them in a convenient store in southern Iowa. I think it was a Kum & Go (insert joke here).

Cool. Thanks, you guys get everything. Do they still do commericals with their little jingle?

Hiland potato chips, the chippiest chips around.

luv
07-30-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm not sure what brand they are, but there are some kettle cooked chips in the vending machine at work. I either like the BBQ or medium/hot cheddar cheese kind they've got in there.

Saulbadguy
07-30-2005, 05:30 PM
Art & Mary's. Or Mrs Vickies.

Delano
07-30-2005, 05:33 PM
I love the kettle-fried chips as well...

...Yes, I'm currently over-weight...

ROFL

CHIEF4EVER
07-30-2005, 05:36 PM
Snyder's of Hanover.

htismaqe
07-30-2005, 05:39 PM
Good to see so many other Salt and Vinegar kettle chip lovers...

TRR
07-30-2005, 06:06 PM
Sterzing's are the best potato chip I've ever had. If you've never tried them, order a bag. You won't be disappointed...

http://www.sterzingchips.com/NewFiles/home.html

Skip Towne
07-30-2005, 06:28 PM
I like pork rinds better than chips.

mlyonsd
07-30-2005, 06:32 PM

My brother wants to figure out a way to bag battered and fried chicken skin. Not that the country's fat people need that right now.

Skip Towne
07-30-2005, 06:53 PM
My brother wants to figure out a way to bag battered and fried chicken skin. Not that the country's fat people need that right now.
Sounds like a good idea unless it is ptlyon's then it's not.

htismaqe
07-30-2005, 07:09 PM
Sterzing's are the best potato chip I've ever had. If you've never tried them, order a bag. You won't be disappointed...

http://www.sterzingchips.com/NewFiles/home.html

Yeah, they are good.

Saulbadguy
07-30-2005, 07:35 PM
Good to see so many other Salt and Vinegar kettle chip lovers...
My favorite, hands down. :) I can't stand "BBQ" flavored chips.

Saulbadguy
07-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Never did like those. Don't have much of a "taste" to me...although i've only tried regular flavored ones. Out of a bag.

mlyonsd
07-30-2005, 07:38 PM
Sounds like a good idea unless it is ptlyon's then it's not.

ROFL I'm sure once he has it perfected he'll let you in on the dynasty.

Skip Towne
07-30-2005, 07:43 PM
ROFL I'm sure once he has it perfected he'll let you in on the dynasty.
With him working on it there is no danger of a dynasty. Man, that guy is dumb.

patteeu
07-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Here in KC we got these awesome chips called "Ruffles", they come in all kinds of flavors and are all really good. I guess I'm lucky that I live in KC, I couldn't live without them.

LOL. That's my regional brand too. I didn't realize you guys in Kansas had them too. Awesome. :thumb:

Pants
07-30-2005, 09:21 PM
LOL. That's my regional brand too. I didn't realize you guys in Kansas had them too. Awesome. :thumb:

Yeah, but do you guys get Lays? Yah, didn't think so.

chiefs4me
07-30-2005, 09:59 PM
For those of you that can still get Guy's chips, I am jealous...they are hardly around anymore. Whenever we come back to Mo, I am always on the lookout for Guys' chips, and they are hard to find. I even emailed the company asking about the tasty mix, and they emailed me back saying they only made them 2 times a year, it was mostly just seasonal for the tasty mix.....

Count Zarth
07-30-2005, 10:01 PM
AMD. **** Intel.

PastorMikH
07-30-2005, 10:03 PM
I like the plain original Guys. Hadn't been able to get them while I was in KS. Moved here and one of the local grocery stores stocks them. I'd rather have the Guys than any other brand.

Logical
07-30-2005, 10:20 PM

....Yup, none better and their consistency is always outstanding, no burn't chips ever.

Iowanian
07-30-2005, 10:24 PM
Sterzings is a company in Iowania, that makes a fine chip.

ROYC75
07-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Haven't had Guys in years since I moved to KY.

I like Lays, Ruffles and Pringles...........

The best BBQ chips I have had is Grippos, they are based out of Cincy.

http://www.illegaluturn.com/dbimages13/Grippos-BBQ.jpg

AeroSquid
07-30-2005, 10:56 PM
AMD. pwns Intel.

fixt

Pitt Gorilla
07-30-2005, 11:40 PM
For those of you that can still get Guy's chips, I am jealous...they are hardly around anymore. Whenever we come back to Mo, I am always on the lookout for Guys' chips, and they are hard to find. I even emailed the company asking about the tasty mix, and they emailed me back saying they only made them 2 times a year, it was mostly just seasonal for the tasty mix.....
Yeah, that's what I was talking about in my original post. The tastee mix owns.

On another note, if you like the salt and vinegar kettle cooked, give the Archer Farms chips from Target a shot. You will like them.

J Diddy
07-30-2005, 11:48 PM
I like Schlotzskys chips......

Logical
07-30-2005, 11:57 PM
I like Schlotzskys chips......Are you talkin the sandwich place?

AZORChiefFan
07-31-2005, 12:19 AM
I like Poore Brothers Habeņero, Salt & Vinegar. Poore Brothers also makes Boulder Potato Chips, they are cooked in a 'healthier' oil, I like Boulders Totally Natural and Malt Vinegar/Salt chips.

I grew up on Guys chips in KC. I sometimes get care packages from my mom with a couple bags of Guy's BBQ chips - only BBQ chips I have found I like.

htismaqe
07-31-2005, 05:10 AM
Are you talkin the sandwich place?

Yep. The two that I like best are also found at sandwich places. Mrs. Vicki's at Quizno's and Jimmy John's from Jimmy John's Subs.

CHIEF4EVER
07-31-2005, 06:29 AM
Utz's makes a pretty darn good chip.

patteeu
07-31-2005, 06:34 AM
Yeah, but do you guys get Lays? Yah, didn't think so.

Who cares, why would I eat that crap when we have Ruffles anyway? Keep your Lays, hickboy. ;)

Miles
07-31-2005, 08:41 AM
I like Schlotzskys chips......

The jalapeno ones are great. The used to sell them in some grocery stores aound here but im not sure if they still do.

jspchief
07-31-2005, 11:14 AM
Guys BBQ chips are probably my favorite chip of all time, assuming they haven't changed the recipe. It's been a long time since I had them.

My current favorite is Tostitos hint of lime. Damn good. The jalapeno ones aren't bad either.

Someone else mentioned Poore Brothers habanero. They are really good, and pretty hot.

I used to love the old Doritos taco flavored, but they changed the flavor of them and they suck now.