PDA

View Full Version : Buying a fish

luv
07-30-2005, 04:27 PM
I live in an apartment that does not allow pets. :(

I am thinking of going and buying a couple of fish. I want to get a bowl or small tabletop tank to put them in. What are some good fish that won't end up eating each other or something?

Rausch
07-30-2005, 04:32 PM
I like puffers. They're like the pugs of the Aquarium...

http://www.pufferfish.co.uk/aquaria/species/pufferfish/types/images/ceylon.jpg

mlyonsd
07-30-2005, 04:32 PM
Fish are all right until it's time to clean the tank. Gawd I hated that job.

I don't know fish types, but if I were you I'd get a red one and a gold one. Then name them Carl and Dick.

luv
07-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Fish are all right until it's time to clean the tank. Gawd I hated that job.

I don't know fish types, but if I were you I'd get a red one and a gold one. Then name them Carl and Dick.
Yeah, that's why I'm looking at either a bowl or SMALL tabletop tank. I don't know what I'd name them. Guess I'll wait and see what kind/color I end up getting.

I'll probably do some research on some on the internet, and get out to look around.

Mr. Laz
07-30-2005, 05:21 PM
buy a nice bass ...

that way when you get tired of it you can just fried it up. :p

Delano
07-30-2005, 05:27 PM
I'll probably do some research on some on the internet, and get out to look around.

Unless you pick up some really hardy fish (goldfish or something) you need to research the topic a lot. If you just throw some water and chemicals in a tank and then drop a fish in, it's gonna die in a few weeks. I havn't been in the hobby for several years, but I remember that you had to cycle the tank first.

Delano
07-30-2005, 05:29 PM
I like puffers. They're like the pugs of the Aquarium...

http://www.pufferfish.co.uk/aquaria/species/pufferfish/types/images/ceylon.jpg

Those are some cool looking fish. Everytime I take my nephews to the pet store, I notice how impressive some of the salt water puffers look. I wish I had the time and money to have some of 'em.

luv
07-30-2005, 05:32 PM
Unless you pick up some really hardy fish (goldfish or something) you need to research the topic a lot. If you just throw some water and chemicals in a tank and then drop a fish in, it's gonna die in a few weeks. I havn't been in the hobby for several years, but I remember that you had to cycle the tank first.
Where is a good place to go online for information? I haven't found much using Google.

Delano
07-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Where is a good place to go online for information? I haven't found much using Google.

Here is the first result when I googled "cycling a fish tank":
http://fish.orbust.net/cycling.html

CosmicPal
07-30-2005, 06:04 PM
I'd move.

luv
07-30-2005, 06:18 PM
Here is the first result when I googled "cycling a fish tank":
http://fish.orbust.net/cycling.html
And here I thought fish would be relatively easy to care for. I'm beginning to rethink this.

Delano
07-30-2005, 06:22 PM
And here I thought fish would be relatively easy to care for. I'm beginning to rethink this.

Yep.. keeping a healthy fish tank is quite a demanding, but rewarding, chore.

CHIEF4EVER
07-30-2005, 06:34 PM
I live in an apartment that does not allow pets. :(

I am thinking of going and buying a couple of fish. I want to get a bowl or small tabletop tank to put them in. What are some good fish that won't end up eating each other or something?

How about this bad boy?

luv
07-30-2005, 06:39 PM
How about this bad boy?
I'm looking for about a 5 gallon tank max, I think. Idon't believe that would quite fit. lol

Rausch
07-30-2005, 06:52 PM
Those are some cool looking fish. Everytime I take my nephews to the pet store, I notice how impressive some of the salt water puffers look. I wish I had the time and money to have some of 'em.

These aren't salt water puffers, they're figure 8's. Easy to take care of and feed.

Herzig
07-30-2005, 07:00 PM
I have about 5 empty fish tanks in my garage...but..I've kept fish for over ten years. I wouldn't recommend a puffer based on the tank size you listed(though they are a very cool fish..I had one myself at one time). You are probably either better off with a male and female betta(Japanese fighting fish) or some goldfish for a tank that small. You don't want something that's going to get that big. Those fish are pretty low maintenence, but whatever you get you need to make partial or full water changes every couple of weeks. Otherwise, your fish will be swimming around in their very own "toilet bowl".

Herzig
07-30-2005, 07:12 PM
These aren't salt water puffers, they're figure 8's. Easy to take care of and feed.

I forgot, but there is a "pygmy" version of this fish that stays pretty small that would probably work for your tank size. Good luck finding one though. You might be able to order a couple on the net.

luv
07-30-2005, 07:26 PM
I forgot, but there is a "pygmy" version of this fish that stays pretty small that would probably work for your tank size. Good luck finding one though. You might be able to order a couple on the net.
I'm just going to go to Petsmart tomorrow, look around, and ask questions. I have an end table that is not really used in my living room, so I just want a tank small enough to put on it. I was thinking 5-7 gallons would be about right for something like that.

luv
07-30-2005, 07:28 PM
I'm just going to go to Petsmart tomorrow, look around, and ask questions. I have an end table that is not really used in my living room, so I just want a tank small enough to put on it. I was thinking 5-7 gallons would be about right for something like that.
I've found a few sites that give stats on certain fish. Most of the minimum tank sizes say 10 gallons. That would be too heavy/expensive, wouldn't it?

mlyonsd
07-30-2005, 07:28 PM
One other thing...make sure you don't have open wounds when you go to clean the tank. I have a friend that caught TB or some such disease after cleaning his fish tank with a cut on his hand.

Serious.

4th and Long
07-30-2005, 07:31 PM
Forget the fish. Put sea monkeys in the tank. ;)

luv
07-30-2005, 07:32 PM
Forget the fish. Put sea monkeys in the tank. ;)
I thought about a blue hermit crab. Blue is my favorite color, and we'd have a lot in common...lol.

Herzig
07-30-2005, 07:32 PM

They should be able to help. As far as freshwater fish go, I like cichlids...for your tank size...some dwarf rams and dwarf sucker fish would be nice.

mlyonsd
07-30-2005, 07:33 PM
I thought about a blue hermit crab. Blue is my favorite color, and we'd have a lot in common...lol.

heh, that one's too easy even for me.

4th and Long
07-30-2005, 07:34 PM
ROFL

I had one of those in my fish tank. Little bastard escaped. Took me a week to find his dead carcass behind my bed.

Herzig
07-30-2005, 07:34 PM
I've found a few sites that give stats on certain fish. Most of the minimum tank sizes say 10 gallons. That would be too heavy/expensive, wouldn't it?

Not sure how sturdy the coffee table you have happens to be. One gallon = 8 pounds. A ten gallon tank should weigh about 100 pounds with rock.

Skip Towne
07-30-2005, 07:36 PM
A ten gallon tank full of water will weigh about 100 lbs.

Herzig
07-30-2005, 07:36 PM

I have 3 hermit crabs in a 10 gallon tank that I keep in my classroom. Just about the easiest pets to take care of out there.

luv
07-30-2005, 07:40 PM
Freshwater dwarf puffer fish...

luv
07-30-2005, 07:42 PM
End table is simply a small table with four legs. I'm thinking 5 gallons is as big as I'll want to go. Max size for fish would need to be about 2", right?

Skip Towne
07-30-2005, 07:42 PM
I have 3 hermit crabs in a 10 gallon tank that I keep in my classroom. Just about the easiest pets to take care of out there.
So you have crabs, huh? Who takes care of them during your many 7-10 day vacations?

luv
07-30-2005, 07:44 PM
I have counter top on part of the bar in front of my sink. Demensions ar 1' x 3'. How big of a tank could I fit there?

luv
07-30-2005, 07:45 PM
So you have crabs, huh? Who takes care of them during your many 7-10 day vacations?
So not where I thought you were going to go with him having crabs. ROFL

4th and Long
07-30-2005, 07:46 PM
Max size would need to be about 2", right?
Will you marry me!!!!?

:D

luv
07-30-2005, 07:47 PM
Will you marry me!!!!?

ROFL

For the fish, not the "worm". :p

Skip Towne
07-30-2005, 07:49 PM
I have counter top on part of the bar in front of my sink. Demensions ar 1' x 3'. How big of a tank could I fit there?
I think a 1' X 3' tank would fit there nicely.

Herzig
07-30-2005, 07:50 PM
So you have crabs, huh?

Yep. You wouldn't believe how much fun I had asking the cute female sales clerks "Do you have crabs"?

Who takes care of them during your many 7-10 day vacations?

I also have a Red Earred Slider Turtle(aquatic). The turtle has an automatic feeder and a light that's on a timer. The crabs can go for 4-6 days before they run out of food or water. My new house is 1.5 miles from my school, so it takes 5 minutes to run up there.

luv
07-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Ha ha ha. I meant how many gallons might fit in a tank with those demensions. I know it would depend on height, too. And I'm not wanting anything too expensive.

4th and Long
07-30-2005, 07:51 PM
ROFL

For the fish, not the "worm". :p
Awwww damnit ... :sulk:

Herzig
07-30-2005, 07:51 PM
ROFL

Herzig
07-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Will you marry me!!!!?

You poor guy...sorry about your "worm"
ROFL

4th and Long
07-30-2005, 07:53 PM
You poor guy...sorry about your "worm"
ROFL
Hey! You shaddup! This worm has hooked a lot of fish in it's day! :harumph:

:p

luv
07-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Hey! You shaddup! This worm has hooked a lot of fish in it's day! :harumph:

:p
Fish huh? Helps if you caught a woman with good hygeine.

4th and Long
07-30-2005, 07:56 PM
Fish huh? Helps if you caught a woman with good hygeine.
What I meant to say was .. I ... I ... oh nevermind. Everyone hates me.

:(

Skip Towne
07-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Yep. You wouldn't believe how much fun I had asking the cute female sales clerks "Do you have crabs"?

I also have a Red Earred Slider Turtle(aquatic). The turtle has an automatic feeder and a light that's on a timer. The crabs can go for 4-6 days before they run out of food or water. My new house is 1.5 miles from my school, so it takes 5 minutes to run up there.
Turtles have ears?

luv
07-30-2005, 07:57 PM
What I meant to say was .. I ... I ... oh nevermind. Everyone hates me.

:(
I don't hate you, but you did open yourself up for that one. :p

Herzig
07-30-2005, 08:00 PM

Ok..I just measured my 10 gallon Crab tank. 20" long x 12" tall x 10" wide. Too big for ya?

4th and Long
07-30-2005, 08:01 PM
I don't hate you, but you did open yourself up for that one. :p
*Note to Self: Don't leave any more hanging curve balls over the plate for luv*

Herzig
07-30-2005, 08:03 PM
Turtles have ears?

They are just named that for the red markings that LOOK like ears.

luv
07-30-2005, 08:04 PM
Ok..I just measured my 10 gallon Crab tank. 20" long x 12" tall x 10" wide. Too big for ya?
That would go perfect on my counter! I like that idea better than the end table (which is 2' x 2'). I can talk to them while doing dishes, I can say good morning to them as I walk out of my bedroom, and I can see them from the living room. Right next to the sink would be perfect for emptying and refilling, too. About how much is a tank that size?

Herzig
07-30-2005, 08:08 PM
That would go perfect on my counter! I like that idea better than the end table (which is 2' x2'). I can talk to them while doing dishes, I can say goodmorning to them as I walk out of my bedroom, and I can see them from the living room. Right next to the sink would be perfect for emptying and refilling, too. About how much is a tank that size?

For tank itself without the light, gravel, or filter...about 10 bucks at walmart. I think they have a one that has almost everything you need for $50 or 60 or so. If you just get the tank, top/light, and filter(I would recommend a power filter that hangs on the back of the tank) they also make internal power filters that stay inside the tank..it should run about $35-40. You could probably get one really cheap at a garage sale.

Or you could go to the Evil empire and get something really easy. I like this just because there are no unsightly wires or filters anywhere...I'm not sure how good it actually works. Kind of overpriced though.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3635551

or

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3635550

luv
07-30-2005, 08:11 PM
For tank itself without the light, gravel, or filter...about 10 bucks at walmart. I think they have a one that has almost everything you need for $50 or 60 or so. If you just get the tank, top/light, and filter(I would recommend a power filter that hangs on the back or side of the tank)...it should run about $35-40. You could probably get one really cheap at a garage sale.
Perfect. I have $30 worth of gift cards I can spend at Wal-Mart. I've heard something about the fish they sell though. Something about not taking care of them like they should. I'll look around there tomorrow, too. Thank you for your help!

Herzig
07-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Perfect. I have $30 worth of gift cards I can spend at Wal-Mart. I've heard something about the fish they sell though. Something about not taking care of them like they should. I'll look around there tomorrow, too. Thank you for your help!

No problem. If you need anymore help, feel free to ask. I just went through Springfield today on my way back from Lake of the Ozarks. I see they haven't fixed I 44 yet. Well, I'm out for the night. Good luck with the tank!

kcfanintitanhell
07-30-2005, 08:57 PM

Don't know if this link has been posted but the chat room is fairly informative and most of your questions can be addressed....
www.fishgeeks.com

Seriously, despite the name, it's a good site. :thumb:

luv
08-07-2005, 01:30 AM
I ended up getting a 10 gallon tanks and 3 African Cichlids. This one looks almost identical to my bright yellow one. I got another one that looks like that, only it's bright orange.

luv
08-07-2005, 01:31 AM
This one looks almost exactly like the third one I got. I love the metallic blue spot on each side of it's head. I named this one Sapphire.

luv
08-07-2005, 01:33 AM
I ended up getting a 10 gallon tanks and 3 African Cichlids. This one looks almost identical to my bright yellow one. I got another one that looks like that, only it's bright orange.
I'm thinking of calling the yellow one Blondie, and have not decided on a name for the orange one.

Mr Grimm
08-07-2005, 01:43 AM
I'm thinking of calling the yellow one Blondie, and have not decided on a name for the orange one.

did they tell you not to mix them with other fish, they kinda have tempers.

luv
08-07-2005, 01:46 AM
did they tell you not to mix them with other fish, they kinda have tempers.
Yeah, especially my blue one...lol. Hardest one to catch, so that will be my favorite. It's the first one I picked out too. And they are agressive. With the size of the tank, I doubt I'll get more fish anyway. Maybe a snail or something.

luv
08-07-2005, 02:32 AM
Should I turn the light off in the aquarium when I go to bed? Do fish need dark to sleep too?

Mr Grimm
08-07-2005, 02:52 AM
Should I turn the light off in the aquarium when I go to bed? Do fish need dark to sleep too?

yes, not as much for the fish but to stop alge growth.

Simplex3
08-07-2005, 03:49 AM
If you didn't get a decent filter make that your first upgrade. It'll stop you from having to clean the tank as often. Whatever you do, don't let it get out of control, cleaning a f**ked up tank is hundreds of times worse in both effort and disgustingness than cleaning two or three times when you should.

Good choice not going with the beta, those f**kers just float around doing nothing. I had one of those when I was 11 or so and the damn thing just layed in the corner of the tank. I finally got sick of it and tried poisoning it with various chemicals. After a couple of weeks of chemical warfare I finally decided "hell, if the little f**ker can live through that he deserves to live", cleaned out his tank, reintroduced him to the clean water, which promptly killed his ass.

Oh well. Burial at sea. Though it was hard lighting the little boat on fire in the toilet.

WolfDawg
08-07-2005, 08:25 AM

That fish is a labradochromis (common name Electric yellow lab) the blue one is probably a blue hap (hapladochromis) and the orange one may be a eureka peacock I would need to see a picture.

Just a word of warning. Those fish get from 5 to 7 inches each so they won't fit in a 10 gallon. They will for now when they are small but as they grow they will surpass the tank.

Also they are a messy fish (pretty much all chiclids are) so in a small tank like you have you will have to do regular cleanings.

They are also aggressive and will fight each other. As they grow bigger and there is less territory to claim they will fight more.

in a 10 gallon I would recommend something like a german blue ram and 2 corydora catfish.

Here are some good aquariast links.

www.aquatic-hobbyist.com

www.fishinthe.net

www.fishprofiles.com

www.chiclid-forum.com

Herzig
08-07-2005, 08:59 AM
Yeah, especially my blue one...lol. Hardest one to catch, so that will be my favorite. It's the first one I picked out too. And they are agressive. With the size of the tank, I doubt I'll get more fish anyway. Maybe a snail or something.

I do like the African Cichlids...very active and aggressive. They act like they are on crack all the time. You can always give them to a pet store if they get too big and start over. I've kept a couple of tanks of them for 5 years or so. In fact, I had a breeding pair that were very horny and kept reproducing. I had tons of them. I had a plecostomus(alge eater) with them and they left him alone. In fact, I had a bigger Jack Dempsey(South American Cichlid) in one tank if I recall correctly and they were ok though I wouldn't recommend it.

Did you get a tank at Wally World or what?

Also, most fish are just fine with one feeding a day or even every other day. I know it sounds cruel, but too much food will increase the nitrates and ammonia and lower the pH which is bad for the tank. The more often you feed your fish, the sooner you will need to do a water change. More input=More output. I know it sounds cruel, but it's actually better for your fish to feed them about once a day.

Herzig
08-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Here's a good place for supplies and equipment.

http://www.thatpetplace.com

I'd also recommend this for cleaning your tank. Much better, easier, and cleaner than buckets and your regular siphon. You probably don't need it for such a small tank though. You can get these at Walmart too.

http://www.franksaquarium.com/Pythonnospill.htm

Herzig
08-07-2005, 09:17 AM
If you didn't get a decent filter make that your first upgrade. It'll stop you from having to clean the tank as often. Whatever you do, don't let it get out of control, cleaning a f**ked up tank is hundreds of times worse in both effort and disgustingness than cleaning two or three times when you should.

Good choice not going with the beta, those f**kers just float around doing nothing. I had one of those when I was 11 or so and the damn thing just layed in the corner of the tank. I finally got sick of it and tried poisoning it with various chemicals. After a couple of weeks of chemical warfare I finally decided "hell, if the little f**ker can live through that he deserves to live", cleaned out his tank, reintroduced him to the clean water, which promptly killed his ass.

Oh well. Burial at sea. Though it was hard lighting the little boat on fire in the toilet.

Disturbing. Isn't being cruel animals as a child one thing all serial killers have in common? :p

luv
08-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Thanks for all of the useful info guys. I read at the store that these will get to be between 4-6 inches long. Haven't even had them 24 hours, and I find myself stopping to watch them a lot. Never knew fish could be so mesmerizing. Any suggestions on names for my orange one? I have Sapphire and Blondie for the other two.

And yes, I got them at Wal-Mart. I bought a little wreched ship to put in the tank, and they love it. I need to go back and get some plant life to put in it as well. The store suggested Start-Right. Drop in on tablet whenever I fill/clean the tank. The instructions said to replace two gallons of water per month and drop in a tablet. I look at some of these sites you all have so kindly posted, and see about when to clean rockes, etc.

Thanks again!

luv
08-07-2005, 12:09 PM

Same thing happened to a friend of mine. I don't think it was a beta, but she tried not feeding, not cleaning his tank as much, etc. Nothing worked. She had to move back home, and, when she did, she decided to just get him a new bigger tank along with a new friend. Before she got the other fish, he died after putting him in the new, bigger, clean tank. Ironic.

Over-Head
08-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Yu can’t go wrong with a Beta.
I’ve owned 3 of them, and they make incredible pets.
The last one I had almost 2 years before he took a nose-dive to the bottom on me.

Just make sure you don’t put 2 in the same tank and your all set.
Beta’s are generally a “loner fish” and are quite happy and content all by themselves. Just make sure to have at least 3 silk plants in the small tank for him and he’ll love it.
Mine used to sleep on the leafs of the silk plants in his tank.
A Beta should run you around $7-10, then get a “Beta Tank Kit” from Wal-Mart for another $10 or so.

Herzig
08-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Thanks for all of the useful info guys. I read at the store that these will get to be between 4-6 inches long. Haven't even had them 24 hours, and I find myself stopping to watch them a lot. Never knew fish could be so mesmerizing. Any suggestions on names for my orange one? I have Sapphire and Blondie for the other two.

How about "Mange"? In honor of the Orange Mane/"Mange"

Or

"Dante"....in honor of Dante's Inferno or Dante Hall

Or

"Satan"

luv
08-07-2005, 02:55 PM
How about "Mange"? In honor of the Orange Mane/"Mange"

Or

"Dante"....in honor of Dante's Inferno or Dante Hall

Or

"Satan"
My best friend went with me to get everything and helped me fill the tank, etc. She suggested Algernon. That was the name of her orange fish that would not die. I thought about it since she helped me out last night, but I don't really care for the name.

Have you ever looked up the word mange? A disease that causes hair loss? I'm sure something will come to me.

How on earth can you tell if a fish is male or female? Guess I can look that one up.

Herzig
08-07-2005, 03:29 PM
How on earth can you tell if a fish is male or female? Guess I can look that one up.

Depends on the fish. Some African Cichlids change colors when they mature. Some develop humps on their heads if they are male or female.

Oh..I thought the "Mange" thing was kinda funny. Good luck picking a name.

dtebbe
08-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Dammit, I thought this was a sushi thread! My mouth was already watering! :drool: :drool:

DT