PDA

View Full Version : Bell's Back "locked-up"

KCJake
07-30-2005, 08:44 PM
"Linebacker Kendrell Bell was out of practice today because his back had froze up between practices. Over the day, his back had stiffen. He was loosened up in the training room, and when he got off the table, it locked again. He was also having spasms in his back. Coach Dick Vermeil couldn't say if he is expected to practice tomorrow."

tk13
07-30-2005, 08:48 PM
Woooo! Look at all these injuries. Season's over already.

Ebolapox
07-30-2005, 08:54 PM
0m9zzzz!!!!!

-38-

keg in kc
07-30-2005, 08:56 PM
Defensive tackle John Browning also did not practice today. Coach Dick Vermeil stated that he has a strained back. Looks like we have an epidemic.

Stinger
07-30-2005, 09:01 PM
Looks like we have an epidemic.

I figured it would have been an offensive problem with bad backs as much as they have been holding up the defense the last few years.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-30-2005, 09:10 PM
This team is about to implode.

BigMeatballDave
07-30-2005, 09:19 PM
I hope this is just rust he's shaking off...

J Diddy
07-30-2005, 09:23 PM
I hope this is just rust he's shaking off...
I'd bet a dime to your dollar that that's the case. Holding out of practice is one thing. Scheduling surgery is another.

CoMoChief
07-30-2005, 09:30 PM
I think part of all of this is Dick Vermeil's old style reputation. It has been said that Vermeil's practices are too long and longer than any other teams practices in the NFL. I dont think he realizes that we can't go through the injuries and all of that crap like we did last year. Then looked how we crawled out of the gate in the beginning of the season. I jus think that maybe he needs to cut down on the time of the practices a little bit, but I am not an NFL coach so what do I know right?

alanm
07-30-2005, 09:30 PM
I'm more worried about the fact that Will Shields is heading back to KC for x-rays on his back. :(

CoMoChief
07-30-2005, 09:33 PM
I'm more worried about the fact that Will Shields is heading back to KC for x-rays on his back. :(

Dude, I don't even want to know the possible outcomes of that saga. The very last thing we need (besides Trent/Surtain getting injured) is to have Will Shields get injured that leads to his retirement before the season begins.

KCJake
07-30-2005, 09:39 PM
No. No. Nothing to worry about. I already consulted our fellow chiefs planteers on this. They said,
"nothing to worry about"
"Shields hasn't missed a game in how long?"
"Injuries are part of the game, don't worry"
"Come on guys, don't panic."
"This happens EVERY year. Guys get dinged up."
:rolleyes:

alanm
07-30-2005, 09:41 PM
Dude, I don't even want to know the possible outcomes of that saga. The very last thing we need (besides Trent/Surtain getting injured) is to have Will Shields get injured that leads to his retirement before the season begins.
Will has earned more than a little slack for the rock he's been. If they told him to go home and drink beer and lay on the couch and show up the week of the 1st game, that'd be more than fine with me. :thumb:

Count Alex's Wins
07-30-2005, 09:41 PM
Just reboot him.

tk13
07-30-2005, 09:42 PM
I think part of all of this is Dick Vermeil's old style reputation. It has been said that Vermeil's practices are too long and longer than any other teams practices in the NFL. I dont think he realizes that we can't go through the injuries and all of that crap like we did last year. Then looked how we crawled out of the gate in the beginning of the season. I jus think that maybe he needs to cut down on the time of the practices a little bit, but I am not an NFL coach so what do I know right?
No way, he's too soft now. That's why we stunk last year, he went too easy on the guys in training camp and babied them. Players got days off all the time, etc. etc. DV even said that when we broke camp, that he didn't feel as good as he did in 2003... and some of the players apparently said the same thing, that DV was too easy on guys. It wasn't vintage Dick Vermeil.

alanm
07-30-2005, 09:48 PM
No way, he's too soft now. That's why we stunk last year, he went too easy on the guys in training camp and babied them. Players got days off all the time, etc. etc. DV even said that when we broke camp, that he didn't feel as good as he did in 2003... and some of the players apparently said the same thing, that DV was too easy on guys. It wasn't vintage Dick Vermeil.
The guys that have paid their dues like Priest, Shields and Roaf I'd say give them the time off. The rest of the team works their asses off. But don't beat em to death.

beer bacon
07-30-2005, 09:50 PM
No. No. Nothing to worry about. I already consulted our fellow chiefs planteers on this. They said,
"nothing to worry about"

Hey man, I hopped right on the doomed wagon with you.

alanm
07-30-2005, 09:55 PM
Hey man, I hopped right on the doomed wagon with you.
I'm not on the "Doomed Wagon" but I kinda wonder what the hell their doing that's causing all the back problems right off the bat. :hmmm:

milkman
07-30-2005, 09:57 PM
I'm not on the "Doomed Wagon" but I kinda wonder what the hell their doing that's causing all the back problems right off the bat. :hmmm:

Carrying the weight of fan expectations, of course.

htismaqe
07-30-2005, 09:58 PM
"nothing to worry about"

Don't let the FACT that it DOES happen every year deter you. Don't let logic and/or reason foul up a perfectly good whine...

alanm
07-30-2005, 10:07 PM
Don't let the FACT that it DOES happen every year deter you. Don't let logic and/or reason foul up a perfectly good whine...
Will's been having back problems for how many years now?? But come game time he's always ready to go. I'm going to take time to enjoy his play this year because you KNOW this is going to be his last. :(

Stinger
07-30-2005, 10:21 PM

Just life on a Chiefs bulletin board.:

Six months ago Come on Carl do sometihng this offseason. :cuss:

Four months ago it was hey were are going after how many FA? :shake:

Then it was maybe just maybe Carl will pull the Trigger on Surtain. :hmmm:

Woo0hoo we got DJ. :clap:

Man I cant wait for football seaon. We are going all the way :toast:
Second day of camp OMG WE ARE DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead: :cuss:

CHIEF4EVER
07-30-2005, 10:24 PM
All you season ticket holders just got piped. It is obvious that all these "owies" can only mean one thing....we are doooooooooooomed. These things NEVER happen in Training Camp and can only mean we have a team of pretenders with glass berginas. [/sarcasm]

ROYC75
07-30-2005, 10:25 PM

Typical normal behavior....... I see nothing wrong here.

Iowanian
07-30-2005, 11:29 PM
I swear quite a few of the Planet posters, are Women...new to Menstruating.

Go sit in a tent at the edge of training camp, if you can't deal with the emotional roller coaster that are "training camp dings".

If Shields' back is serious(and it could be since he discussed not playing) and Vermeil himself already stated that he's not in playing shape....It could be that he's just out of shape...or it could be the damage due to the years of service to our team of choice.

While he is no Will Shields, John Welbourne is a damn fine backup plan at RG.

royr17
07-31-2005, 01:28 AM
Well this sucks .......... We dont need Bell being Injured the guy is a very good player and the contract we just gave him.

I hope it gets better and doesnt cause him any problems during the season.

KCJake
07-31-2005, 01:30 AM
Im not going to panic. Nobody's saying the season's over. If Will Shields retired tomorrow, the season would go on. We would still have a really good football team. Im just saying, this is serious. No IT'S NOT normal. Players don't leave training camp and fly back to KC for x-rays, unless something's serious. I don't care how bad@ss Will Shield's is. I don't care how long his consecutive games played streak is. Name one other time he contemplated retirement all off-season, then after three days in camp, he's going back to KC for x-rays and a third opinion. Sounds pretty damn serious to me.

What's going to happen? Shield's will be fine. Another Pro Bowl season. But im still a little worried.

CoMoChief
07-31-2005, 02:21 AM
No one needs to worry about this at all. Shields is just dinged up from the 13 seasons he has played. He will be there come September 11th. He wouldnt walk out on us after TC, that wouldnt be like him. If he thought at all that he couldnt play this year, then he would have retired. This is his last year though. The worst possible scenario is this:

Will Shields retires, leaving the RG open for Welbourn. It has been told that Welbourn is doing an amazing job at the RG position. We have the best Oline coach in the NFL, and I'm sure that JW can hold his own in Will's shoes. Would we be dommed? No we wouldnt. Obviously there is only 1 Will Shields, but someone that is a little lesser quality that is still among some of the top linemen in the NFL can get it done as well.

Rausch
07-31-2005, 02:31 AM
Anyone who's watched 10 years of Chiefs football should know that Will Shields isn't human.

You can't play that well, for that long, without injury, dominating everyone in front of you at that position and be human. It's just not possible.

If he's made the decision to play he will...

htismaqe
07-31-2005, 06:13 AM
Im not going to panic. Nobody's saying the season's over. If Will Shields retired tomorrow, the season would go on. We would still have a really good football team. Im just saying, this is serious. No IT'S NOT normal. Players don't leave training camp and fly back to KC for x-rays, unless something's serious. I don't care how bad@ss Will Shield's is. I don't care how long his consecutive games played streak is. Name one other time he contemplated retirement all off-season, then after three days in camp, he's going back to KC for x-rays and a third opinion. Sounds pretty damn serious to me.

What's going to happen? Shield's will be fine. Another Pro Bowl season. But im still a little worried.

No, Shields has never contemplated retirement and subsequently went for a 3rd opinion on a new injury.

That's not the point.

Stuff like this DOES happen, to other players, all throughout training camp.

The only thing that's changed is the amount of media coverage (largely due to website's like this:D). Guys don't get hurt more, we just know about it sooner.

htismaqe
07-31-2005, 06:14 AM
Anyone who's watched 10 years of Chiefs football should know that Will Shields isn't human.

You can't play that well, for that long, without injury, dominating everyone in front of you at that position and be human. It's just not possible.

It's just like Willie Roaf.

Dude CAN'T WALK.

But he can pancake any DE in the league.

CrazyHorse
07-31-2005, 06:30 AM

Isn't shitting your pants a sixth sense or something?

Skip Towne
07-31-2005, 07:34 AM
Since nobody has asked, I will: How is Rich Scanlon?

CHIEF4EVER
07-31-2005, 07:41 AM
Since nobody has asked, I will: How is Rich Scanlon?

Last I heard he was bringing water to Boomer Grigsby and making him sandwiches dressed in a French Maid's outfit..........but that is just a rumor.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
07-31-2005, 09:09 AM
Come on people, its the friggin 4th day of camp, after all the running, drills, and practice you have to expect there to be some slight pulls, strains and cramps. Just because you show up at training camp does not automatically put you in football shape. Personally I would rather err on the side of caution the first week then force the issue and have someone we are going to depend on to aggrevate it and be a recurring problem through the season.

Chiefnj
07-31-2005, 09:51 AM
It's too early to panic over any player, but damn Kendrall Bell doesn't seem to be able to stay healthy for more than a week. He twinged his groin in mini-camp and now two days into practice he has a back problem; albeit a minor one. It wouldn't worry me if it were a guy who played more than 50% of his career snaps, but with Bell it always appears to be something.

tomahawk kid
07-31-2005, 10:17 AM
No, Shields has never contemplated retirement and subsequently went for a 3rd opinion on a new injury.

That's not the point.

Stuff like this DOES happen, to other players, all throughout training camp.

The only thing that's changed is the amount of media coverage (largely due to website's like this:D). Guys don't get hurt more, we just know about it sooner.

Yep. To me, this sounds like Will's back is nagging him a bit more than usual. So, he's flying back to KC to make sure its nothing serious.

Now, Vermiel's comment about him not being as prepared for the opener as year's past concerns me a little bit.

tomahawk kid
07-31-2005, 10:19 AM
It's too early to panic over any player, but damn Kendrall Bell doesn't seem to be able to stay healthy for more than a week. He twinged his groin in mini-camp and now two days into practice he has a back problem; albeit a minor one. It wouldn't worry me if it were a guy who played more than 50% of his career snaps, but with Bell it always appears to be something.

I understand where the concern comes from, but to me this is more of an issue with the dorm matresses than Bell's penchant to get hurt. I'm not going to panic until I read that he's missed multiple days / practices due to a bad back.

mlyonsd
07-31-2005, 10:25 AM
I understand where the concern comes from, but to me this is more of an issue with the dorm matresses than Bell's penchant to get hurt.

Very good point. The Chiefs should hold out next year for tempurpedic beds at River Falls.

mlyonsd
07-31-2005, 10:25 AM
Last I heard he was bringing water to Boomer Grigsby and making him sandwiches dressed in a French Maid's outfit..........but that is just a rumor.
ROFL

alanm
07-31-2005, 10:27 AM

Well. He is after all a Husker. :thumb:

Bowser
07-31-2005, 10:35 AM

:Lin:

HC_Chief
07-31-2005, 10:36 AM

Yep, and he was one back when it actually meant something. :p

Chief Roundup
07-31-2005, 10:40 AM
Well according to Vermeil it showed that Will had contimplated retirement because it is the worst shape that he had ever seen him. Said that normally Will is a lot further along with conditioning than he is.

tomahawk kid
07-31-2005, 10:40 AM
Very good point. The Chiefs should hold out next year for tempurpedic beds at River Falls.

Sealy Posturpedic. Perhaps King Carl could work out some sort of sponsership arrangement...... :hmmm:

Chief Roundup
07-31-2005, 10:42 AM
As far as Bells' back isn't this pretty normal for Bell to have back problems?