PDA

View Full Version : Back bothering Shields

KingPriest2
07-31-2005, 10:35 AM
Back bothering Shields

Veteran guard leaves camp to get another opinion

By ELIZABETH MERRILL

The Kansas City Star

Ten-time Pro Bowl guard Will Shields, who toyed with retirement in the offseason, will leave camp today to get a third opinion on his back.

cc\hiefs coach Dick Vermeil said Shields has struggled with the arthritic condition before, but it is serious enough to put Shields on a plane back to Kansas City today. Shields, who has started 191 straight games, is the anchor of one of the NFL’s best offensive lines.

“I think you always have a little concern,” Vermeil said. “I always hope my concerns are wrong.”

Shields’ streak ranks second in the NFL to Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre, and Shields has done it with a long list of nagging injuries. But it’s obvious the latest aches have weighed heavily on Shields’ mind. As late as June, he was telling reporters that it wasn’t a given he’d play in 2005, saying, “Sometimes your body outweighs your heart.”

Vermeil said, “I think there was a period of time when Will wasn’t sure what he wanted to do in terms of coming back. I think that influenced his offseason preparation as well. He’s always much further along in his preparation for the league opener than he is right now.”

Back problems also limited two other starters Saturday. Quarterback Trent Green was held back for part of the morning practice on the recommendation of the Chiefs’ trainer.

“He just strained it a little bit yesterday,” Vermeil said. “Nothing serious, but on an extension making a handoff on a running play, believe it or not.”

Linebacker Kendrell Bell missed the afternoon workout because of stiffness in his back.

KingPriest2
07-31-2005, 10:37 AM
Did Shields inidicate that this was going to be his last year? I did not see it anywhere except for in the Joplin Globe today.

Bowser
07-31-2005, 10:38 AM
I hope this is just precautionary more than anything else. And what the hell is wrong with Trent?

Mr. Laz
07-31-2005, 10:38 AM
:(

Ari Chi3fs
07-31-2005, 11:47 AM
they need Tempur-Pedic Dorm room beds.

patteeu
07-31-2005, 11:57 AM
I definitely want Shields in the lineup, but I think both Bell and Trent Green would be harder to replace in the opener.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
07-31-2005, 01:20 PM
Who takes Will's place?

Bowser
07-31-2005, 01:21 PM
Who takes Will's place?

Welbourn

royr17
07-31-2005, 02:30 PM
Bell no not hard to replace, I believe Fox would fill in nicely for him, Shields not hard to replace, but Trent Green hell yea hard to replace.

patteeu
07-31-2005, 03:26 PM
Bell no not hard to replace, I believe Fox would fill in nicely for him, Shields not hard to replace, but Trent Green hell yea hard to replace.

Fox hasn't started a game in the NFL (despite the fact that he played behind one of the worst LB corps in the league) and you think he'd replace Bell "nicely?" As long as Bell is healthy, and until DJ lives up to his potential, Kendrell Bell is by far our best LB.

Shields would definitely be hard to replace too. I think Welborne would be less of a step down than Fujita/Fox or Todd Collins at their respective positions because the rest of the offensive personell and Al Saunders could adjust, but he's nothing close to a healthy Will Shields. JMO

beavis
07-31-2005, 04:15 PM
Yeah, a Hall of Famer is a cinch to drop someone in and not see any drop off in production whatsoever. :rolleyes: