PDA

View Full Version : Law negotiating with Jets

siberian khatru
07-31-2005, 02:13 PM
Oh, come on ... you know you want to hear about it. :p

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets314366140jul31,0,6605507.story?coll=ny-jets-print

Law's dial Jet-set?

BY KEN BERGER
STAFF WRITER

July 31, 2005

The Jets have begun negotiations with the agents for cornerback Ty Law, who has relayed to the team that he prefers to play in New York for coach Herman Edwards, two people familiar with the talks said yesterday.

The pace at which discussions will progress remains unclear, given that Law's negotiating position will only improve as NFL camps continue and the specter of injuries to starting cornerbacks increases.

But one person familiar with Law's situation said the prospect of avoiding two-a-day practices isn't as much of a factor as first believed. Should Law pass a physical and sign with the Jets, he would not be expected to practice twice a day anyway.

Though Law hasn't spoken personally with Edwards since early in free agency, the four-time Pro Bowl cornerback has continued to relay his preference to sign with the Jets through various channels. Jets running back Curtis Martin spoke with Law recently but declined to disclose the nature of those conversations.

"It's just that we're friends, so we talk every once in a while," Martin said yesterday. "I'm not going to talk about his business. You know how I feel."

Agents Kevin and Carl Poston did not respond to requests for comment yesterday. But the two sides have begun exchanging financial proposals, with money being one of two potential sticking points. Law, 31, coming off a foot injury that caused him to miss nine games last season, reportedly has been seeking a deal averaging $6 million a year.

The Jets have balked at such a figure and have been patiently waiting for the price to come down.

The second and perhaps more substantial hurdle is Law's health. Law would have to assure Jets officials in person that he is fully recovered from a mid-foot injury known as a Lisfranc fracture, which also involved ligament damage. Law has yet to be scheduled to work out for the Jets, but he has been training in Florida and reportedly excelled in position-specific drills for the Lions and Jaguars.

If healthy, Law would be the final piece of the puzzle for the Jets' defense, which has set a collective goal of being the top-ranked unit in the NFL this season in terms of points and yardage allowed.

"I'm not afraid to say we'd like to be No. 1," defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson said. "That's what we're striving for."

Law's elite man-to-man coverage skills would bring instant credibility to a young secondary while giving Henderson more play-calling flexibility.

"He's going to take away his guy," Henderson said. "So it gives us a lot more experience and you can get after them a little bit more now, too. You know me; I'll get after them now."

Doing a long-term deal for defensive end John Abraham that would reduce his $6.7-million salary-cap figure has not been discussed, an indication that the Jets believe they already have the cap maneuverability to sign Law.

Adding Law would be a blow to Ray Mickens, currently the presumed starter at left cornerback. But despite the fact that Mickens has long yearned for a legitimate chance at a starting job, the 10-year veteran has unselfishly thrown his support behind the team's efforts to land Law.

"Any team in the league would want Ty Law," Mickens said. "Why not the Jets?"

Copyright 2005 Newsday Inc.

4th and Long
07-31-2005, 02:16 PM
Uh oh ...
for the record........I think I'm going to RepNuke every poster from this point forward who mentions Ty Law and the KC Chiefs in the same sentence when they aren't playing against his team. The keyboard of doom has spoken.

Der Flöprer
07-31-2005, 02:17 PM
I saw no mention of the KC Chiefs in that post, you should be good. Best of luck ;)

siberian khatru
07-31-2005, 02:22 PM
I saw no mention of the KC Chiefs in that post, you should be good. Best of luck ;)

Yes, let the record show I didn't mention ... um, our team ... anywhere in this thread. This is strictly for informational purposes only, not advocacy or argumentation.

Wile_E_Coyote
07-31-2005, 02:27 PM
what will the Chiefs do 9/11 with Eddie covered?

We're DOOMED

Michael Michigan
07-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Yes, let the record show I didn't mention ... um, our team ... anywhere in this thread. This is strictly for informational purposes only, not advocacy or argumentation.

I thought I read here a while back that Ty Law was set to sign with the Chiefs...

Are you sure this is a trained journalist that wrote this story?

Der Flöprer
07-31-2005, 02:29 PM
I thought I read here a while back that Ty Law was set to sign with the Chiefs...

Are you sure this is a trained journalist that wrote this story?

This on the other hand, may create problems Iowanian style. ;)

Scorp
07-31-2005, 04:28 PM
Dammit Carl! :cuss:

cdcox
07-31-2005, 04:53 PM
Notice how every few days Law is close to signing with some other team. This is all a ploy by his agent to hide the fact that no team is going to pay anywhere near what he thinks he is going to get. I won't believe any of the reports until the ink is on the line.

Mile High Mania
07-31-2005, 04:55 PM
What does Nick Athan say?

I wouldn't be shocked for Law to sign within the AFCE... that's what players tend to do, sign with a team within the division and hope to haunt his former team.

Plus, those divisional teams are the ones most familiar with him... it would make sense, and they have a need at CB.

Ne14a40
07-31-2005, 05:13 PM
We need Ty Law, we must sign him if we wanna go to the SB.

Amnorix
07-31-2005, 05:42 PM
Latest rumor i heard was that Law wants THREE fully guaranteed years. Fat chance of that... I seem to remember DV saying that Law's agent's (Poston's) contract demands were "delusional". Now we know what he meant...

Amnorix
07-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Here it wsa -- from PFT.

TY WANTS THREE YEARS OF GUARANTEED COIN A league source tells us that the primary sticking points in cornerback Ty Law's contractual demands is that he wants the first three years of the deal to be fully guaranteed. Such a move would be rare if not unprecedented for any NFL player. As a practical matter, many contracts given to high-end players are "guaranteed" for at least three years, given the cap consequences of a premature release. Where huge bonus figures are paid in years one and two (via an option payment), the chances of a team swallowing the huge cap hit incident to a release are remote. Thus, few of the league's premier players have ever had the occasion to demand that the team formalize an arrangement that it's already in the team's interests to provide. So while the total money Law is demanding is keeping teams like the Lions and the Jets from making the plunge, Ty's desire for an official guarantee through 2007 is a major reason why teams are shying away. And Law is hardly in a good position to command financial security beyond 2005, especially as he recovers from a serious foot injury that still has teams questioning whether he'll be at 100 percent come September.

carlos3652
07-31-2005, 05:47 PM
ROFL,

If healthy, Law would be the final piece of the puzzle for the Jets' defense, which has set a collective goal of being the top-ranked unit in the NFL this season in terms of points and yardage allowed.

"I'm not afraid to say we'd like to be No. 1," defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson said. "That's what we're striving for."

If I were a betting man, I would say that by the end of week one, they are in the 28th-32nd range in yards and points allowed.

Opening Day @ Arrowhead.

Green 255 yards, 2 td, 1 int
Holmes 100 yards rushing, 1 td, 65 yards rec
Johnson 30 yards rushing, 25 yards rec
Kennison 50 yards rec (vs Law)
Parker 45 yards rec 1 td
Gonzo 75 yards rec 1 td
Tynes 2/2 FG, 2/3 XP

Surtain 1 int
Allen 1.5 sacks
Hicks .5 sacks
Final Score 26 - 21

CHIEF4EVER
07-31-2005, 05:48 PM
To heck with 'Leon" Law. I have to agree with CeePee stance on him. When and if he passes a physical, then we can talk about a REASONABLE contract.

Hydrae
07-31-2005, 06:09 PM
ROFL,

If I were a betting man, I would say that by the end of week one, they are in the 28th-32nd range in yards and points allowed.

Opening Day @ Arrowhead.

Green 255 yards, 2 td, 1 int
Holmes 100 yards rushing, 1 td, 65 yards rec
Johnson 30 yards rushing, 25 yards rec
Kennison 50 yards rec (vs Law)
Parker 45 yards rec 1 td
Gonzo 75 yards rec 1 td
Tynes 2/2 FG, 2/3 XP

Surtain 1 int
Allen 1.5 sacks
Hicks .5 sacks
Final Score 26 - 21