PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with Dick Vermiel 7.31.05

Fire Me Boy!
07-31-2005, 02:37 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/07/31/qa_with_dick_vermeil4/

Q&A with DICK VERMEIL
Jul 31, 2005, 1:34:04 PM

TRAINING CAMP

Q: What’s the status of Freddie Mitchell?

DICK VERMEIL: “It looks like he might need a scope. Dr. Browne (team doctor) is conferring with a doctor with whom Freddie has worked in the past. (It happened) just running a route yesterday.”

Q: Is he going to go back to KC today?vertc2

VERMEIL: “I’m going to talk to Dr. Browne and Freddie right now.”

Q: Any other updates on injuries?

VERMEIL: “No, Kendrell Bell’s a lot better this morning. I didn’t talk to John Browning but I’m heading that way right now.”

Q: When are you going to know something about Will Shields?

VERMEIL: “He’s feeling a lot better, a lot better. I think the fact that he’s gotten to work and been under our supervision has helped him. He’s going down for a check-up by our back guy in Kansas City and also getting an opinion from Dr. Watkins in LA; he’ll probably come back on Tuesday.”

Q: Will he go to LA?

VERMEIL: “I don’t think he’ll have to go. His MRI will.”

Q: Is it unrealistic to think that your offense can repeat last year’s success?

VERMEIL: “The challenge when you’re the best is to get better. There are areas of our game that can get better. We can get better earlier in the season. We can improve on the first three games. We can get better in scoring.

“Over the last three years we’ve scored 21 points or less less than any football team in the league. We need to do a little better in third-and-long conversions – a higher percentage, because our offensive performance overall would lead you to believe that we’re even more efficient on that third and long situation than we are.

“Each individual needs to get better. Each offensive lineman comes to work to get better. We’re not in the maintenance business. We don’t want to maintain what we’ve done. We want to get better at what we do. They’ve been working like that out here.”

Q: Is there a different defensive mindset this year?

VERMEIL: “I know the coaches have a mindset that’s going to be different. I think overall I see tremendous improvement in Kawika Mitchell in his aggressive approach to the game. I see real good effort from everybody to make this defense a better defensive football team – not only with the players that we’ve brought but the players we have here who can be better and young players that certainly can ascend.”

Q: Do people take the offense for granted?

VERMEIL: “I think if this offensive team was in one of the big markets it would be different. Last year we made more first downs than anybody in the history of the National Football League. That’s pretty good. We set numerous team records. If you’re in New York or Chicago that might be a big thing, but we’re not really too concerned who gets the credit. We’ve just got to get so we’re a better football team and if the offense has to get better for us to be a better football team than they have to get better. But we know our kicking game – especially the coverage teams – have to get better and we certainly know our defense does. If our defense gets better and our offense continues to grow as it has each year then it will be a very fine football team.”

Q: What happened in the first three weeks last year when you got off to a slow start?

VERMEIL: “Well, we played Denver in Denver on Sunday night is tough. But we can play better than we did. We gave up some big plays. The next game we had no business losing. But we gave up a 105-yard interception return. Maybe we as coaches made a mistake. Maybe we should have won the game anyway I went for a field goal against Carolina on fourth and inches and maybe I should have gone for a touchdown. It’s a lot of little things like that.

“There was something wrong. It’s not a one game thing; it was something. We’ve got to help our quarterback’s efficiency rating in the early games. It’s not equivalent to how he performs later on, so we as coaches have to look. Everybody contributes to quarterback efficiency.”

Q: Do you sense the offensive guys are on a mission this year and that there is a sense of urgency?

VERMEIL: “I think there is an air that if they don’t win it soon that it might be too late. Will Shields may not be not here, Willie Roaf may not be here, Eddie Kennison, too.”

Q: Is that something you let them discuss among themselves?

VERMEIL: “We talk about it. There’s nothing that generates effort in training camp better than a sense of urgency, a sense of purpose and a focus to win.

Q: Can the sense of urgency become a negative?

VERMEIL: “If your confidence level is not what it ought to be then early adversity can sometimes send you in a tailspin. Fortunately last year our confidence level was good enough that losing three in a row didn’t kill us; but it eliminated us.”

FloridaChief
07-31-2005, 02:45 PM
Totally derailing your thread, but FMB--have you screened "The Aristocrats" yet?

Big Chief Homer
07-31-2005, 02:46 PM
That sucks,i hope its not serious.

Fire Me Boy!
07-31-2005, 02:48 PM
Totally derailing your thread, but FMB--have you screened "The Aristocrats" yet?
No... but I have a copy of "The Aristocats," does that count?

FloridaChief
07-31-2005, 02:50 PM
No... but I have a copy of "The Aristocats," does that count?

Not as such...no. You are aware of the movie I'm talking about, right?

Fire Me Boy!
07-31-2005, 02:51 PM
Not as such...no. You are aware of the movie I'm talking about, right?
Yes, and I would like to see it, but I haven't received any screeners yet.

FloridaChief
07-31-2005, 02:54 PM
Yes, and I would like to see it, but I haven't received any screeners yet.

Cool. I'm looking forward to seeing it myself.

/derailment

stevieray
07-31-2005, 03:06 PM

Last year we made more first downs than anybody in the history of the National Football League.

thank ya, thank ya very much.

HemiEd
07-31-2005, 06:44 PM

Q: What happened in the first three weeks last year when you got off to a slow start?

VERMEIL: “Well, we played Denver in Denver on Sunday night is tough. But we can play better than we did. We gave up some big plays. The next game we had no business losing. But we gave up a 105-yard interception return. Maybe we as coaches made a mistake. Maybe we should have won the game anyway I went for a field goal against Carolina on fourth and inches and maybe I should have gone for a touchdown. It’s a lot of little things like that.

He was 0 for how many on these kind of calls? :cuss:

thank ya, thank ya very much.
ROFL ROFL