PDA

View Full Version : 7/31 Afternoon Practice Notes: River Falls Site...

Coogs
07-31-2005, 09:32 PM
Offense

In 7-on-7's today wide receiver Jeris McIntyre made a magnificent catch in the end zone. McIntyre did a great job of holding his toes in bounds until he caught the pass from quarterback Damon Huard. Fans were in the stands yelling "Yes!!" after the catch.

Tight end Tony Gonzalez did a lot of extra work this afternoon at practice. Gonzalez worked on footwork and catching during both sessions of special teams practice with tight end Jason Dunn and tight end Coach Jason Verduzco. Gonzalez also stayed after practice for about five minutes to do some more footwork drills.

Wide receivers Darrell Hill, Craphonso Thorpe, and tight end Jason Dunn also stayed after to work on catching and footwork.

Quarterbacks Trent Green and Todd Collins worked on their footwork as well during special teams practice.

During one series of 11-on-11's, rushing was strongly emphasized. Running backs Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Dee Brown, and Samkon Gado all carried the ball. The offensive line did a great job on one play when Gado took a handoff and ran seven yards before any defender got near him.

During the final series of 11-on-11's quarterback Trent Green was 7-10. Wide receiver Chris Horn caught one for 30-yards and the fans we heard saying, "Nice!" after the catch. Running back Dee Brown caught one for six yards. Green faked a throw and scrambled for about 20 yards.

Quarterback Todd Collins was 2-3 in the final series of 11-on-11's. Running back Samkon Gado caught one for 10 yards, and wide receiver Jeris McIntyre caught one for 10 yards.

Quarterback Damon Huard was 3-4 this afternoon in the final series of 11-on-11's. Running back Samkon Gado took a handoff and running back McKenzi Smith caught one. Huard also scrambled away from pressure from up the middle once.

Offensive linemen Aaron Johnson, Mike Johnson, Jeremy Parquet, and Will Svitek stayed after for at least 15 minutes to work on one-on-one blocking drills.

Tight end Tony Gonzalez had some butter fingers today during 11-on-11's. Gonzalez bobbled, and then dropped a perfect pass from quarterback Trent Green in the end zone resulting in no touchdown. Safety Greg Wesley was not making things easy for Gonzalez, as his coverage was textbook.

Guard Will Shields will see a doctor tomorrow regarding his back problem. Coach Dick Vermeil is concerned, but is very optimistic that he will be back. Vermeil also believes that the retirement rumors should be put to rest, and that Shields is feeling better now than how he was feeling in the past, and that "he knows what he needs to do, and he plans on doing it."

Wide receiver Freddie Mitchell will be having his knee scoped tomorrow in Kansas City. He should be back by Wednesday, with a day of evaluation on Tuesday. Coach Dick Vermeil is optimistic that he should be back on the field in two and one-half, to three weeks time. However, Vermeil stated that "that's just a coach talking," while a doctor may feel differently when he goes in there to look at it. Mitchell injured his knee at last night's practice while running a route, and it is not claimed to be a serious injury. Vermeil stated that the injury will not hurt his chances on the team. "That applies more to guys struggling to make the team than somebody that's already established and knows he's going to be here. He's experience and a very good competitor, and he'll get right back into the huddle."

Defense

As the defense was warming up and getting ready for practice, safeties Greg Wesley and Jerome Woods were seen running late onto the practice field. Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham was heard across the field yelling at the two players that it is unacceptable and that if everyone else can make it on time onto the field, they can too!

The defensive line was practicing tackle drills this afternoon. Defensive line coach Carl Hairston, working with the defensive tackles, was telling Junior Siavii "get your thighs up, buddy!" Right next to them, the defensive ends were practicing tackles, where Bob Karmelowicz was telling the players to "give the blow, don't receive it." During these drills, defensive tackle Lional Dalton was on the sideline getting his right ankle taped up. Minutes later he got right back in line ready for his turn. Also on the sideline was rookie defensive end Khari Long who appeared to have something in his eye. Long also went right back to work when ready.

Defensive tackle John Browning did not practice this afternoon. Yesterday he was taken out of practice due to dehydration.

When asked how far newly signed first-round pick Derrick Johnson will be behind, Coach Dick Vermeil stated that he'll be behind, football wise, and that he was losing a lot for not being in camp. However, "he's talented, and that's why we drafted him. He'll catch up, it will just take him some time."

Linebacker Kawika Mitchell was a huge playmaker this afternoon and was flying from sideline to sideline hitting almost anyone who got in his way. During 11-on-11 drills he made two near interceptions, with both slipping from his hands off of quarterback Trent Green passes. He also stopped running backs Dee Brown and Priest Holmes in their tracks and knocked them both out of bounds on running plays. After Mitchell's second near pick off, defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham yelled at him "you catch like my mama - come on, catch the ball!" This drew a huge laughter from the fans, and one woman in the stands even said, "that's the best line yet!"

Blame it on the heat, as tempers were flaring this afternoon. During 11-on-11 drills, linebacker Kendrell Bell and rookie running back Samkon Gado got into each other's faces. Other teammates became to react, and a small fight broke out in the middle of the field. Linebacker Kawika Mitchell was also actively involved as the crowd stood in their seats to get a better view. The scuffle broke up quickly and practice resumed.

Safety Scott Connot ended today's practice in style. With the final snap of the day, Connot intercepted quarterback Damon Huard's throw in the end zone.

Safety Sammy Knight is excited about the way training camp is going so far. "I feel like we are growing as a group and a unit and that people are getting better everyday. We're all working together and we all just want to win. We're setting our goals high; our expectations are at the ceiling."

beer bacon
07-31-2005, 09:34 PM
It is also nice to see that Bell was back out there. His intensity seems be approaching Guntheresque levels.

the Talking Can
07-31-2005, 09:38 PM
Nice to hear about Mitchell...can't wait to see if it actually translates to real games

Deberg_1990
07-31-2005, 09:41 PM
Nice to hear about Mitchell...can't wait to see if it actually translates to real games

I aint holding my breath......he looked awful at times last year.

the Talking Can
07-31-2005, 09:44 PM

I agree, but I'm too damn giddy right now about football being back and I'm still hopeful he'll become a player...he has all the talent in the world, the problem is in his head and I don't when (if ever) the "flip switches" for him.

If it does we instantly have one bad ass LB crew.

If it doesn't we have to live out the nightmare of the mini-me version of Maz: Scanlon.

Dave Lane
07-31-2005, 09:46 PM

Everyone is on his ass but let me tell you I watched the last 3 games of last season and you can see MAJOR strides in his game from the first few games when he looked lost at times. I think the light bulb is finally on.

Dave

chefsos
07-31-2005, 09:48 PM
Offense
During one series of 11-on-11's, rushing was strongly emphasized. Running backs Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Dee Brown, and Samkon Gado all carried the ball. The offensive line did a great job on one play when Gado took a handoff and ran seven yards before any defender got near him.

I hope that was the 4th string defense.

the Talking Can
07-31-2005, 09:49 PM
I hope that was the 4th string defense.

he was running parallel to the line of scrimmage...

stevieray
07-31-2005, 09:49 PM
Everyone is on his ass but let me tell you I watched the last 3 games of last season and you can see MAJOR strides in his game from the first few games when he looked lost at times. I think the light bulb is finally on.

Dave

I think Mitchell is going to have a great year.

Deberg_1990
07-31-2005, 09:51 PM

Dave

I sincerly hope you are right. I dont root for any of our draftees to fail. I rag on Sims and Mitchell all the time ill admit. I hope im wrong and you are right, but neither have shown me anything in "real" gametime action in 3 years. Please prove me wrong Ryan and Kawika!!!

Hydrae
Also nice to see Bell was back out there and seems to be NeoGunther.

Yeah, Bell being out there after talk of back problems was good to read.

I also loved that it does sound like Gun is back to his old self. No more coddling of the defenders! :thumb:

tk13
Mitchell was playing well by the end of the year...I'm telling you, he's going to look improved this year. All you Scanlon and Grigsby nuts just keep talking... :)

beer bacon
07-31-2005, 09:52 PM

Dave

I agree with you that he looked much better at the end of last season.

It seems like I post this in every Kawika thread, but here is just a reminder. The first 13 games of last season Kawika had 42 tackles and 0 sacks. The last three games of the season he had 29 tackles and 2 sacks.

TEX
07-31-2005, 09:59 PM
Mitchell was playing well by the end of the year...I'm telling you, he's going to look improved this year. All you Scanlon and Grigsby nuts just keep talking... :)

Hope you're right but I'm not falling for all the "TALK" about a player being good in camp that is going to be heavily counted on durng the season. Seems it last happened when describing Bartee and I fell for that nonesense hook, line, and sinker. This time around I'm going to wait and see for myself.

tk13
07-31-2005, 10:02 PM
Hope you're right but I'm not falling for all the "TALK" about a player being good in camp that is going to be heavily counted on durng the season. Seems it last happened when describing Bartee and I fell for that nonesense hook, line, and sinker. This time around I'm going to wait and see for myself.
Yeah, but Mitchell actually played well the last month of last year. He put up very good numbers. If he could just expand that over a full season he'd be doing a real nice job.

TEX
07-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Yeah, but Mitchell actually played well the last month of last year. He put up very good numbers. If he could just expand that over a full season he'd be doing a real nice job.

Yep. I agree and that's what gives me some hope that this time we all will be pleasantly surprised.

Deberg_1990
07-31-2005, 10:08 PM

The last month of the season meant very little. I want to see how he plays in a game that actually means something. I cant shake those horrendous memories of him in that New England game last year.

beer bacon
07-31-2005, 10:10 PM
The last month of the season meant very little. I want to see how he plays in a game that actually means something. I cant shake those horrendous memories of him in that New England game last year.

This year's Kawika is completely different. This year, instead of running by the guy with the ball for 40 yards he will actually push him out of bounce . If that isn't improvement then I don't know what is.

TEX
07-31-2005, 10:33 PM

YIKES! How about Carolina???? :shake:

Reaper16
07-31-2005, 10:59 PM
Right next to them, the defensive ends were practicing tackles, where Bob Karmelowicz was telling the players to "give the blow, don't receive it." During these drills, defensive tackle Lional Dalton was on the sideline...

ROFL ROFL ROFL

CosmicPal
07-31-2005, 11:14 PM
Tight end Tony Gonzalez did a lot of extra work this afternoon at practice. Gonzalez worked on footwork and catching during both sessions of special teams practice with tight end Jason Dunn and tight end Coach Jason Verduzco. Gonzalez also stayed after practice for about five minutes to do some more footwork drills.

One of the reasons why he's the best TE in the game, and a certain HOFer. I recall listening to Sirius NFL radio last season when they interviewed Tony after a game. They interviewed him early in the morning, AFTER he had been watching game film at 5AM. He and the team landed in KCI around 11PM.

Wide receivers Darrell Hill, Craphonso Thorpe, and tight end Jason Dunn also stayed after to work on catching and footwork.

Are they following Tony's work ethics? I hope so...

As the defense was warming up and getting ready for practice, safeties Greg Wesley and Jerome Woods were seen running late onto the practice field. Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham was heard across the field yelling at the two players that it is unacceptable and that if everyone else can make it on time onto the field, they can too!

Stoners.

Linebacker Kawika Mitchell was a huge playmaker this afternoon and was flying from sideline to sideline hitting almost anyone who got in his way. During 11-on-11 drills he made two near interceptions, with both slipping from his hands off of quarterback Trent Green passes. He also stopped running backs Dee Brown and Priest Holmes in their tracks and knocked them both out of bounds on running plays. After Mitchell's second near pick off, defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham yelled at him "you catch like my mama - come on, catch the ball!" This drew a huge laughter from the fans, and one woman in the stands even said, "that's the best line yet!"

I've heard nothing but GOOD things about Kawika since the start of camp. You gotta love it. If he can apply this to a real game, our LBing corp will be tremendously improved, if not already.

Safety Sammy Knight is excited about the way training camp is going so far. "I feel like we are growing as a group and a unit and that people are getting better everyday. We're all working together and we all just want to win. We're setting our goals high; our expectations are at the ceiling."

Sounds good...I like that coming from a new player. Let's just see it on the field when it counts....puhhhlllleeeze!

philfree
07-31-2005, 11:33 PM
Good to read that Bell was on the field and in the middle of it after his back spasms yesterday. Couple that with the play in practice of Mitchell and the signing of D. Johnson and it's hard not to be totally stoked about our D improving.

On another note I haven't read anything about Carlos Hall.

PhilFree:arrow:

Reaper16
07-31-2005, 11:55 PM
Right next to them, the defensive ends were practicing tackles, where Bob Karmelowicz was telling the players to "give the blow, don't receive it." During these drills, defensive tackle Lional Dalton was on the sideline...ROFL ROFL ROFL

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Tribal Warfare
08-01-2005, 01:08 AM
All you Scanlon and Grigsby nuts just keep talking... :)

Ohh I shall , Boom!! Boom!! baby

Tuckdaddy
08-01-2005, 01:50 AM
If Gun's mama can catch then we should sign her up.

Chan93lx50
08-01-2005, 04:09 AM
Greg Wesley and Jerome Woods late to practice, WTF

Thank God we signed Knight this year, these turds are so slow they can even get on the field in time.

Nice that Gun is lighting fires under these players asses, this is the attitude our D needs

Rukdafaidas
08-01-2005, 08:21 AM
On another note I haven't read anything about Carlos Hall.

I haven't heard anything about any of the D line. I'd like to hear that Sims is looking much better, even if it were only media hype.

crispystl420
08-01-2005, 08:40 AM
Green faked a throw and scrambled for about 20 yards.
This is scary. Green scrambled for 20 yards on our first team d?

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-01-2005, 08:49 AM
Fans were in the stands yelling "Yes!!" after the catch.
----------------------------------
the fans we heard saying, "Nice!" after the catch.
----------------------------------
one woman in the stands even said, "that's the best line yet!"

This is the greatest, most well written article ever.

:)

chagrin
08-01-2005, 09:34 AM
Dude,

Thanks for the report, I was thinking about this last night, hoping that someone who has been there would write about it.

good job!
:clap:

whoman69
08-01-2005, 12:13 PM
I could have swore we cut Huard. Did he perhaps get resigned to a lower contract?

Wonder why the running back that played so well in Europe hasn't been heard from.

Hearing great things about someone in camp can be a red herring. I remember hearing great stuff in camp about Ted White, Brian Shays and others who didn't make the team.

ptlyon
08-01-2005, 12:31 PM
I could have swore we cut Huard. Did he perhaps get resigned to a lower contract?

No, we kept him and cut Claussen - chapped my ass.