PDA

View Full Version : More Chief updates. Good read

BigRedChief
08-01-2005, 08:54 AM
Got this from the coalition site. Don't know where it orginated from.

Inside Slant
The rebuilding of the once-proud, now-sorry Chiefs defense — a project that began in earnest with the acquisition of new components during the offseason — has entered the assembly stage at the team's Wisconsin training camp.
The work in progress may not be completed by the Sept. 11 opener against the Jets, however, as the general contractor for the job — defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham — may not yet have all the necessary material assembled.

Though snap judgments are difficult to make after only a few days in training camp, Cunningham already likes the improved play of his secondary. The offseason additions of former Miami defensive backs Patrick Surtain, a cornerback, and safety Sammy Knight already have made a demonstrable difference in 7-on-7 and team drills. Those playmakers arrived with chemistry already intact from their Dolphin days.

The Chiefs, remember, were dead last in pass defense last year.

At the same time, Kansas City also has to deal with the loss of incumbent starting corner Eric Warfield, who will miss the season's first month while suspended for violating the league's alcohol abuse policy. Veteran Dexter McCleon, the first choice to replace Warfield, returns from shoulder surgery moving better than he was a year ago when he lost his starting job after giving up too many big plays in the season's first five games.

The failure to sign No. 1 draft pick Derrick Johnson until Day Four of camp on July 31 also limited what Cunningham can do with his linebacking corps.

His development delayed by only four days and only six workouts, the Chiefs still belief Johnson came make an immediate impact on the strong-side linebacking spot. Kendrell Bell's expected improvements to the weak-side spot hit what the Chiefs hope is only a temporary delay when he experienced back pain and was forced to the sideline.

But on the defensive line, where the Chiefs will play essentially a pat hand from a year ago, Cunningham's best chance for an improved pass rush must come from improved play from returning players. Defensive tackle Ryan Sims, the sixth player drafted in 2002, "needs to perform and give us some payback," Cunningham noted.

While Cunningham has been pleased with some early signs — his defense is forcing some turnovers, and players have responded to his demands that they work hard on wrapping up ball carriers even when they can't tackle them — he's not yet convinced that he's got the improved pass rush he wants.

"Do we have those (pass rushers) here now? I can't say what I want to say," Cunningham said. "Talk to me in a week and I'll have a better idea as we make progress. I have to have all the pieces out there, and we still don't have them all together."

NOTES, QUOTES

Noting that the state of Wisconsin and the students of the University of Wisconsin-River Falls spent some $2.4 million for a 12,300 square foot addition to the Knowles Arena that serves as the Chiefs summer locker room, Chiefs president Carl Peterson challenged reluctant Missouri legislators to give the Chiefs and Royals the same kind of financial consideration.

"The new locker room is outstanding, certainly as good as I've seen on even the Division I level and maybe some professional locker rooms," Peterson said of the improvements made at the Division III school.

The state of Wisconsin approved $1.8 million and UWRF students generated another $600,000 for improvements that will benefit students long after the Chiefs leave. Wisconsin's willingness to make such improvements for a 15-year summer visitor like the Chiefs should send a message, Peterson said, to the legislators and voters in Missouri who have been reluctant to finance stadium improvements at the 33-year-old Truman Sports Complex.

"We come here for 23 to 25 days a year, yet they feel it's important enough that they came up with that amount of money," Peterson said. "There's a message there, and I hope the people of Missouri are listening."

— LB Derrick Johnson, the Texas playmaker drafted with the No. 15 overall pick, finally agreed to terms on a five-year contract on July 31, Day Four of Chiefs camp. Johnson was scheduled to arrive in the Chiefs' Wisconsin camp on Monday, Aug. 1. "He's behind, but he's talented enough to catch up quickly," said coach Dick Vermeil, noting that Johnson was a regular participant in Kansas City's spring conditioning program once collegians became eligible to join their new teams in early May.

QUOTE TO NOTE — "He's a pretty emotional guy. I'll watch some clips of my Chicago Cubs play and then I'll emotional and go out and do it." Actor Greg Kinnear, asked if he could cry on demand, a skill necessary for any actor portraying Dick Vermeil.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

BATTLE OF THE WEEK: Samie Parker vs. Marc Boerigter for starting flanker spot. This was Johnnie Morton's position last year before his release. Parker played sparingly last year as a rookie but showed signs late of being a deep threat. Boerigter had eight TD catches among his 20 receptions in 2003, but just when he was on the verge of pushing for a starting spot, he tore up a knee in the '04 preseason and lost a year.

OTHER BATTLE FRONTS: Kevin Sampson vs. Jordan Black at RT. Black played here late in the '04 campaign after injuries opened the spot. He and Sampson alternated here during the spring, but Black worked most extensively at left tackle when starter Willie Roaf wasn't working, which is frequently.

PLAYER OF THE WEEK: TE Kris Wilson. When Wilson broke his leg in the final preseason game of his '04 rookie season, it was a major disappointment to offensive coordinator Al Saunders, who likes the way the oversized wideout/smaller tight end can get open and catch the ball in the middle of opposing defenses. Wilson split the seams of the Chiefs secondary several times in the opening days of practice and rarely dropped a chance. He'll play a big role in this offense.
INJURY REPORT

— G Will Shields' back injury, which developed early in the first practice July 28, could be concerning. Shields was scheduled to get a third opinion in Los Angeles after being told there was no disc problem. He has yet to practice in either the spring or in camp.

—WR Freddie Mitchell tweaked a knee in a July 30 workout and was scheduled to undergo microscopic exploratory surgery. He likely will need at least two to six weeks to recover, based on what doctors have to do.

—LB Kendrell Bell missed a July 30 workout after experiencing back spasms. He was back the next day, however.

—DT John Browning missed a couple of weekend workouts with a sore back. He was running with the first-team defense at the time of his injury.

—TE Tony Gonzalez, who missed the entire spring period while recovering from foot surgery, is working once a day in pads.

—LB Shawn Barber, a 2004 starter, likely will open the season on the PUP list after needing two operations to repair the knee he injured in Week Eight. He missed the rest of the season.

—LB Mike Maslowski, who was hoping to resume his NFL career after an extensive series of complicated knee surgeries, has yet to receive clearance to return to practice.

htismaqe
08-01-2005, 08:57 AM
If Kevin Sampson is ready to start, keep Black at LT. We'll need him soon.

ptlyon
08-01-2005, 09:01 AM
Bye bye Maz

HemiEd
08-01-2005, 09:34 AM
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: TE Kris Wilson. When Wilson broke his leg in the final preseason game of his '04 rookie season, it was a major disappointment to offensive coordinator Al Saunders, who likes the way the oversized wideout/smaller tight end can get open and catch the ball in the middle of opposing defenses. Wilson split the seams of the Chiefs secondary several times in the opening days of practice and rarely dropped a chance. He'll play a big role in this offense.

:clap: PBJ

BigRedChief
08-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Bye bye Maz
I liked Maz. It's gonna be sad to see him go.:shake:

ChiTown
08-01-2005, 11:03 AM
What about Fuji? Anyone hear what his status is?

J Diddy
08-01-2005, 11:05 AM
I liked Maz. It's gonna be sad to see him go.:shake:

I think I read somewhere that if he goes he'll probably stay on board in a coaching capacity or intern....