PDA

View Full Version : 8/1 Chiefs Morning Practice Report

C-Mac
08-01-2005, 12:17 PM
The heat is on in River Falls. The temperature at the start of this morning's practice was 72 degrees and continued to rise. The dew point was 64 degrees, and there was a minimal wind from the east at 0.4 miles per hour. Some 210 fans were in attendance this morning under the blue skies.

First year safety Sammy Knight has already been making an impression on the defense, and has set expectations about this season. "We set our expectations to the highest level, and we want to be the best. We may not be the best in the beginning, but when the end of summer comes around, we want to be the best." He also stressed that team chemistry is vital in team success. "The main thing about chemistry is getting to know each other on the field. Off the field is great to know each other, but on the field I have to know what the linebacker is doing." Knight described that the defense needs to be like a whipping chain and that "when we're one chain and we're linked together, nobody can break that."

When asked what defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham is like as a coach, Knight said, "bottom line - he's a winner."

While the linebackers were practicing drills together, Coach Fred Pagac was standing behind the sleds yelling, "feel the pressure," and "press his butt back!" Pagac then stood in front of one sled and took his hat off and put it on top of the sled, and told the linebackers to imagine that the opponent's helmet is the hat. Pagac yelled for the linebackers to "put your head through the hat!"

During 11-on-11 drills, defensive tackle Ryan Sims and linebacker Keyaron Fox teamed up to push running back Larry Johnson out of bounds, which caused a loss of yards. Cornerback Benny Sapp broke through the offensive line and sacked quarterback Trent Green. Sapp also made a big play later in the morning when he swatted down a pass intended for wide receiver Nathaniel Curry.

At his after practice press conference, Coach Dick Vermeil talked about defensive tackle Ryan Sims. Vermeil stated that it is "time to ascend." Sims has had an incredible off-season, according to the coach, and is 10 pounds heavier in muscle. Vermeil stated that he is one of the strongest guys on the football team. Now that he has more competition at his position, Vermeil stated that Sims knows what he needs to do.

The defensive and offensive lines worked together today on one-on-one blocking drills. These drills, which many spectators don't get the chance to see, are all about who has the moves and can get away from the defenders clutch. One drill is where the defender breaks through the offensive line and rips off the dummy, pretending that the dummy is the quarterback. Defensive tackle Junior Siavii and guard/tackle John Welbourn got into each other's faces after a set, but were broken up by offensive line coach Mike Solari. These drills, which are a simulation of what it is like on the line of scrimmage, are the plays that win or lose games.

Both linebacker Quinton Caver and safety Jerome Woods were out from practice today, because they both had developed fluid on the knee. Their knees will be iced down this afternoon, and it is unknown whether they will be at this afternoon's practice.

TRR
08-01-2005, 12:18 PM
This isn't all of it. They still haven't put up the offensive analysis or the defensive analysis from this morning.

BigRedChief
08-01-2005, 12:22 PM
At his after practice press conference, Coach Dick Vermeil talked about defensive tackle Ryan Sims. Vermeil stated that it is "time to ascend." Sims has had an incredible off-season, according to the coach, and is 10 pounds heavier in muscle. Vermeil stated that he is one of the strongest guys on the football team. Now that he has more competition at his position, Vermeil stated that Sims knows what he needs to do.

I guess 'time to ascend" is better than "take your diapers off".

Iowanian
08-01-2005, 12:25 PM
"At his after practice press conference, Coach Dick Vermeil talked about defensive tackle Ryan Sims. Vermeil stated that it is "time to ascend." Sims has had an incredible off-season, according to the coach, and is 10 pounds heavier in muscle. Vermeil stated that he is one of the strongest guys on the football team. Now that he has more competition at his position, Vermeil stated that Sims knows what he needs to do."

I'm pretty damn happy to hear this.......I'm really hoping that being in a contract year, motivates him to bust some asses this season.

one or two of the DTs really stepping up, will be as important to the Defenses success as any of the other Aquisitions.

BigChiefFan
08-01-2005, 12:26 PM
Woods better get his act together very soon. With his salary, I'll be surprised to see him make the team.

beer bacon
08-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Offense

In 7-on-7's today, quarterback Todd Collins had a beautiful sideline throw to wide receiver Eddie Kennison who caught it for a 30-yard gain. Quarterback Damon Huard hit wide receiver Nathaniel Curry with a well-timed short out pattern and Curry then broke up field for more yards.

In the final series of 11-on-11's quarterback Todd Collins was 7-9. The offense ran two draw plays with both going to running back Larry Johnson, one went for a gain of 10-yards and the other for 12. Johnson caught a pass and also had another carry to the right side. Wide receiver Dante Hall caught two, one was a quick out and the other was off a crossing pattern. Running back Samkon Gado caught one, and tight end Kris Wilson caught one in the end zone.

Quarterback Damon Huard was 3-5 in the final series of 11-on-11's. Huard completed a sideline pattern to wide receiver Jeris McIntyre . Huard hit wide receiver Nathaniel Curry on a stop pattern for a gain 15 yards.

Quarterback James Kilian was just 1-4 in the final series of 11-on-11's. Running back Samkon Gado took a hand off to the left side for gain of 12-yards.

After practice the rookies stayed after for about 10 minutes to run some more 11-on-11's. Quarterback James Kilian was 6-10 in the extra practice. Running back McKenzi Smith caught two and carried the ball once up the middle. Wide receiver John Booth ran a reverse, but defensive end Zach Ville broke up the middle to make a tackle for a loss of five yards. Wide receiver Nathaniel Curry was wide open in the middle for a catch of 30-yards. Running back Samkon Gado caught a pass in the flat and safety Willie Pile made a quick read from the secondary to make the tackle. Wide receiver Jeris McIntyre caught one for 15-yards.

the Talking Can
08-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Woods better get his act together very soon. With his salary, I'll be surprised to see him make the team.

I could easily see him gettting cut...though I wonder about the cap hit...that may save him.

htismaqe
08-01-2005, 12:40 PM
"At his after practice press conference, Coach Dick Vermeil talked about defensive tackle Ryan Sims. Vermeil stated that it is "time to ascend." Sims has had an incredible off-season, according to the coach, and is 10 pounds heavier in muscle. Vermeil stated that he is one of the strongest guys on the football team. Now that he has more competition at his position, Vermeil stated that Sims knows what he needs to do."

I'm pretty damn happy to hear this.......I'm really hoping that being in a contract year, motivates him to bust some asses this season.

one or two of the DTs really stepping up, will be as important to the Defenses success as any of the other Aquisitions.

I think those of us who were thinking it was a contract year were wrong.

Brock
08-01-2005, 12:55 PM
I think those of us who were thinking it was a contract year were wrong.

It appears to run through '09.

keg in kc
08-01-2005, 01:04 PM
It appears to run through '09.2008. It was a seven year contract. As I recall, one year was voidable, so, technically, 2007 would be his contract year.

Although NFLPA.org does show 2009 salary. He must've been restructured in some way. Either way, I don't see any possible way this year could be his last with KC short of a release.

Brock
08-01-2005, 01:06 PM
I dunno.

http://www.nflpa.org/Members/playerProfile.asp?ID=32982

keg in kc
08-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I saw that when I was double-checking the numbers. I don't trust my memory...

Am sure it was a 7 year contract, however.

htismaqe
08-01-2005, 01:10 PM
Look at the structure of that contract, his salary doubles next year over this.

keg in kc
08-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Look at the structure of that contract, his salary doubles next year over this.That's not much in the way of evidence that his contract voids after this year. 1.57 million isn't a particularly big number.

At least that's the way I see it. I think it would be odd for them to restructure his contract by extending it to 2009, but then making in void two years sooner than it was originally structured. Assuming the (slim) evidence I can find that it was originally 7 years voidable to six is in fact valid.

htismaqe
08-01-2005, 01:15 PM
That's not much in the way of evidence that his contract voids after this year. 1.57 million isn't a particularly big number.

At least that's the way I see it. I think it would be odd for them to restructure his contract by extending it to 2009, but then making in void two years sooner than it was originally structured. Assuming the (slim) evidence I can find that it was originally 7 years voidable to six is in fact valid.

Maybe people refer to this as his "contract year" because his poor play and that rapid spike in salary make him "cuttable" after this season.

keg in kc
08-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Could be.

And I could be completely wrong and he's a free agent. :shrug:

Either way, he needs to have a big year. He's maybe the one guy who can help determine whether we're a top-20 defense or a top-10 defense. Because I think we can be top-10 if the line shows...anything.

BigRedChief
08-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Could be.

And I could be completely wrong and he's a free agent. :shrug:

Either way, he needs to have a big year. He's maybe the one guy who can help determine whether we're a top-20 defense or a top-10 defense. Because I think we can be top-10 if the line shows...anything.

Beg to differ here...Surtain is the big dog. The one who can singlehandly jump our defense up over 10 other teams.

DenverChief
08-01-2005, 01:27 PM
During 11-on-11 drills, defensive tackle Ryan Sims and linebacker Keyaron Fox teamed up to push running back Larry Johnson out of bounds, which caused a loss of yards.

At his after practice press conference, Coach Dick Vermeil talked about defensive tackle Ryan Sims. Vermeil stated that it is "time to ascend." Sims has had an incredible off-season, according to the coach, and is 10 pounds heavier in muscle.

Is it just me or does the first quote contradict the second?:hmmm:

Lzen
I don't think 1.5 mil is that much for a DT. The big question to me is what was his SB?

keg in kc
Beg to differ here...Surtain is the big dog. The one who can singlehandly jump our defense up over 10 other teams.The way I see it, the signings we made (Bell, Johnson, Knight, Surtain) should get us into the middle of the pack. How the defensive line plays determines which side of 16 we fall on.

But it's all a group effort. They all matter. I'm not saying Sims or the line is any more or less important than anyone else. Simply that they are part of the equation.

Lzen
08-01-2005, 01:29 PM
The way I see it, the signings we made (Bell, Johnson, Knight, Surtain) should get us into the middle of the pack. How the defensive line plays determines which side of 16 we fall on.

But it's all a group effort. They all matter. I'm not saying Sims or the line is any more or less important than anyone else. Simply that they are part of the equation.

I agree.