PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with S Sammy Knight 8.1.05 afternoon

Fried Meat Ball!
08-01-2005, 04:34 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/08/01/qa_s_sammy_knight2/

Q&A S SAMMY KNIGHT
Aug 01, 2005, 4:29:34 PM

TRAINING CAMP

Q: How is (CB) Ashley Ambrose to play with?

KNIGHT: “He is a playmaker. He is the type of guy that is going to get you five picks a year. He is going to be solid. He is going to get you a lot of big plays. He is a solid corner. He is consistent.”

Q: Does it hurt consistency in the defensive backfield that you don’t know who one of the cornerbacks is going to be?

KNIGHT: “No, I don’t think so right now. I think we have had a chance to play with each other all together right now. There are 31 other teams that are in the same position as us. You cannot use that as an excuse. We just have to work together. When we are in there we have to play.”

Q: Have you always been the leader on the field?

KNIGHT: “I don’t know. I have always been the type of guy who goes after it. I don’t know if I am the leader that is going to talk it up. I try to lead by example. If leading is by helping people out than that is fine. I need help sometimes, too. We are all leaders out there. Guys are helping each other. Eric (Warfield) has been helping me. G-Wes (Greg Wesley. Even Jerome (Woods). Everybody is helping each other. That is the thing we want to get to. We want to get to having 53 leaders on this team. Everybody is pushing each other. If we get to that we will be successful.”

Q: How important is chemistry?

KNIGHT: “Chemistry is always hard to have especially nowadays with so many injuries and so much change. You have to get chemistry and you have to get it quickly. It is those teams that come together and continue to come together that are successful. Unfortunately for this team last year they had a lot of injuries which injuries bring in new people and that hurts your chemistry. Hopefully this year we can stay healthy.”

Q: When fans just want the defense to be middle of the pack how does that make you feel?

KNIGHT: “When I hear that it, it makes me sick to my stomach. It really does. It makes me want to throw up. These guys are out here busting their ass all day and we expect to be the top defense in the league. That is what we shoot for. Just like the offense is expected to be the top offense in the league, we expect to be the top defense. Anything less is uncivilized. I just laugh at. If that is where they want to slot us that is fine. If that is where they want us to go that is fine. If people put limitations on you, you will be limited. We set our expectations to the highest level. We want to be the best. We may not be the best in the beginning, but when the end of December comes around we want to be the best.”

Q: What are you doing in training camp to develop the chemistry?

KNIGHT: “The main thing about chemistry is getting to know each other on the field. Off the field that is great to get together, that is all great and as a team you need to have that, too. On the field I have to know what that linebacker is thinking. That linebacker has to know what I am thinking. The corner has to know what we are thinking. We all have to be one chain. That is what we want to be defensively. We want to be one big chain. A whipping chain. Just whipping them.

“If we are one chain and we are linked together nobody can break us. When I move, the corner moves. When the corner moves, I move. When the linebacker moves, I move. It is covering each other back.”

Q: Do you mean knowing what a guy is going to do without looking at him?

KNIGHT: “Right. (LB) Kendrell (Bell) could give me a look back and I would know what he is doing. (CB) Dexter (McCleon) could do this (touches hip) and I would know what that means. It is little things like that. Especially when you play against an Al Saunders offense. It is going to get us prepared. All the shifts, all the motion. Everybody is moving. You have to talk. That communication is going to help us.”

Q: Would it be easier to practice against an offense that is more base than this one?

KNIGHT: “I am sure it would be easy to do that. But it would be easy to be at home right now at my pool with my feet in the pool. To tell you the truth it is a double edge sword. You say defensively you sometimes get frustrated, but ultimately it makes you better. It makes them better.”

Q: What is it like coming to a team that has this kind of offense?”

KNIGHT: “We are in a great situation defensively if you are a secondary guy because I know teams are going to have to pass to get with us. If they pass that means more INTs. I don’t know any defensive back alive that doesn’t like interceptions. For us we welcome that. If we can stop the run and get up on some teams then they have to throw the ball and we will take care of it.’

Q: What is it like to play for defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham?

KNIGHT: “You would not even want me to say that in the paper. Gun is a no-nonsense guy. The bottom line is that Gun wants to win. He is a winner. That is the bottom line. He is a winner.”

Tuckdaddy
08-01-2005, 04:39 PM
GOTTA LOVE THIS GUY! No problem Sammy! Put ME ON THE TOP DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE BANDWAGON!

Gaz can be the conductor.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-01-2005, 04:40 PM
GOTTA LOVE THIS GUY! No problem Sammy! Put ME ON THE TOP DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE BANDWAGON!

Gaz can be the conductor.
You just want Gaz to wave his stick at you.

Tuckdaddy
08-01-2005, 04:45 PM
You just want Gaz to wave his stick at you.

You so naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasty!

HemiEd
08-01-2005, 05:03 PM
KNIGHT: “You would not even want me to say that in the paper. Gun is a no-nonsense guy. The bottom line is that Gun wants to win. He is a winner. That is the bottom line. He is a winner.”

ROFL The old Gunther is back!

mikey23545
08-01-2005, 06:04 PM
<B>Q: When fans just want the defense to be middle of the pack how does that make you feel?

KNIGHT: “When I hear that it, it makes me sick to my stomach. It really does. It makes me want to throw up. These guys are out here busting their ass all day and we expect to be the top defense in the league. That is what we shoot for. Just like the offense is expected to be the top offense in the league, we expect to be the top defense. Anything less is uncivilized. I just laugh at. If that is where they want to slot us that is fine. If that is where they want us to go that is fine. If people put limitations on you, you will be limited. We set our expectations to the highest level. We want to be the best. We may not be the best in the beginning, but when the end of December comes around we want to be the best.”</B>

:clap:

mlyonsd
08-01-2005, 06:08 PM
This guy hasn't played a snap for the Chiefs but I already like him.

TRR
08-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Knight is quickly becoming one of my favorite players.

Miami lost a leader when he left.

siberian khatru
08-01-2005, 06:16 PM
"G-Wes"????

Hydrae
08-01-2005, 06:32 PM
"G-Wes"????

Even Jerome Woods. ROFL

milkman
08-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Q: When fans just want the defense to be middle of the pack how does that make you feel?

KNIGHT: “When I hear that it, it makes me sick to my stomach. It really does. It makes me want to throw up. These guys are out here busting their ass all day and we expect to be the top defense in the league. That is what we shoot for. Just like the offense is expected to be the top offense in the league, we expect to be the top defense. Anything less is uncivilized. I just laugh at. If that is where they want to slot us that is fine. If that is where they want us to go that is fine. If people put limitations on you, you will be limited. We set our expectations to the highest level. We want to be the best. We may not be the best in the beginning, but when the end of December comes around we want to be the best.”

I love this attitude!
He acts pissed off at the very idea of finishing as low as middle of the pack.

Just the kind of attitude this D needs!