PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan may put CB Bailey on the offense

4th and Long
08-01-2005, 07:44 PM
Discuss.

Bill Williamson / Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_2904290)

Champ Bailey isn't sure when he will work with the offense again, but he knows it's coming.

Denver coach Mike Shanahan won't say when or how much the star cornerback will work at receiver but said there will be times Bailey works into the offense.

"Yes, he will work in practice some with the offense at some point," Shana- han said.

That is fine with Bailey, whose play at receiver last season went from a buzz in training camp to an afterthought by the end of the season.

"Anything I can do to help the team win, I'll do," Bailey said. "I want to play all the time, so I'm looking forward to it again."

Bailey focused on receiver in some of the developmental camp season. He played offense in several games early last year, but it was something the team went away from around midseason. Bailey had one catch for 11 yards last season.

Bailey said he is heading into this season a better receiver than he was when he came to Denver in a trade with Washington for Clinton Portis.

"I watch Rod Smith run routes every day," Bailey said. "That right there helps me. I think I'm smoother in my route running."

The Broncos appear to be deeper at receiver, so having Bailey on offense likely would be in unusual packages.

"It's probably best for a defensive player to play offense as a surprise or in different situations," Bailey said. "That's where you'll see me."

siberian khatru
08-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Too bad he can't line up against himself.

TRR
08-01-2005, 08:13 PM
After last season, I think he needs to concentrate on just defense. He was horrible last season.

Mile High Mania
08-01-2005, 08:32 PM
He wasn't horrible last season, but he wasn't the phenom that he's hyped up to be... all this talk about him on offense is just offseason fodder.

gblowfish
08-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Sure ...send him across the middle six or seven times a game. Give Rodney Harrison a few shots at him.

Stinger
08-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Well Plumber is used to throwing it to Corner backs.

alpha_omega
08-01-2005, 08:56 PM
After last season, I think he needs to concentrate on just defense. He was horrible last season.

Yep!

Mile High Mania
08-01-2005, 09:00 PM

Now, that's a damn funny line... :clap:

ROYC75
08-01-2005, 09:10 PM

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Saul Good
08-01-2005, 09:10 PM
It makes sense. Every time someone threw a deep ball his direction last year it turned into a big gain.

mlyonsd
08-01-2005, 09:16 PM
For what he's paid and as hyped up as he is the rat should probably try and get his money's worth out of him.

Good decision rat since Bailey was mostly average at CB.

morphius
08-01-2005, 09:16 PM
I thought they did that some last year as well, so nothing new really. They just didn't do it much.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Bailey was pretty bad last year, but he wasn't all to blame. Mostly, the blame goes to the terrible Dline they have. Stats, schmats. Their Dline is their weakness, and as we all know, a Dline is the secondary's best friend; it makes your secondary that much better to have a good Dline. They were ranked pretty high defensively, but were skewed, IMO.

Saul Good
08-01-2005, 09:38 PM
Bailey was pretty bad last year, but he wasn't all to blame. Mostly, the blame goes to the terrible Dline they have. Stats, schmats. Their Dline is their weakness, and as we all know, a Dline is the secondary's best friend; it makes your secondary that much better to have a good Dline. They were ranked pretty high defensively, but were skewed, IMO.

You don't have to worry about them having a bad D-Line this year. They added the entire Browns line in the offseason. That's right...the Browns. I think Roaf, Shields, and Brian Waters are gonna be thinking "Oh shit it's the Cleveland Browns D-Line!!!" in week 2.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-01-2005, 09:47 PM
You don't have to worry about them having a bad D-Line this year. They added the entire Browns line in the offseason. That's right...the Browns. I think Roaf, Shields, and Brian Waters are gonna be thinking "Oh shit it's the Cleveland Browns D-Line!!!" in week 2.

Yes, I know. That's why a lot of people (even some of their own fans) are picking them to be 3rd or 4th in the division this year. They haven't upgraded the Dline (on paper) right. They signed a bunch of castoffs and will have the same problems this year. Hopefully it ends up that way. If so, like you said, their offense won't even get the ball in week 3 because we'll be owning them up and down the field with Priest and LJ.

Mile High Mania
08-01-2005, 09:49 PM
The D Line can't be any worse than it was... I don't think it will be near the best in the NFL, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The quality of the LB crew helps or hurts the D Line, correct? The Browns had a poor LB crew... Denver has a sweet LB crew.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-01-2005, 09:56 PM
The D Line can't be any worse than it was... I don't think it will be near the best in the NFL, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The quality of the LB crew helps or hurts the D Line, correct? The Browns had a poor LB crew... Denver has a sweet LB crew.

In our defense it's the interior Dline's job to not let the Oline get to the second level, the LBs. I hope your Browncos don't wake up and realize their potential.