PDA

View Full Version : Idaho Jim's latest from KCChiefs.com...

shaneo69
08-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Didn't see this on the first four pages of the planet, and it was kind of hidden on the official site...

BARNES: GREAT EXPECTATIONS?
Jul 31, 2005, 10:05:37 AM by Jim Barnes

It’s a familiar scene – one that happens just about this time every year.

I’m sitting at the 19th hole after a round of golf, and the talk turns to NFL football. The guys are all waxing hopefully – some forcefully – about their teams. And suddenly, my buddy, Mike (Bronco and Viking fan), turns to me and says: “Hey, Barnes. You’re pretty quiet. How come we aren’t hearing about the Chiefs?”

He expects to hear me rave about how this will be the year – same old &%$#@* he’s heard every year before. But this year I surprise him and everyone else prognosticating over suds at the table.

“I don’t know what to expect,” I say. There is a double-take all around the table. One “friend” even puts his hand over my forehead to check for fever. The chatter and guffawing turn to dead quiet.

And so I continue: “After last year, I have no expectations. If for no other reason than my mental health I can have no expectations. I’m just going to wait and see what happens.”

You see, last year I boldly predicted a Super Bowl. So did my buddy, Tom Keely – the guy from Idaho who has season tickets to Arrowhead. We weren’t just bold. We were obnoxious.

We were idiots.

Not this year. Yes, I’m going to Dallas to see the Chiefs play in December (my brother lives there and has access to great seats). And I may travel to Miami to see them if my daughter’s significant other catches on with the Fish.

But I have no expectations. Just questions, this year. Just questions. Like:

Is it really a healthy thing to hope that the defense will be significantly better? Last year I thought Gunther Cunningham’s return would ……. Oh, hell. I can’t relive that. Just can’t. But it would seem that the offseason moves by the front office couldn’t help but make a big difference. But then thinking like that just breeds hope. Can’t go there. Just can’t.

What happens if Trent Green goes down? Can Todd Collins really lead the team for a few games or, heaven forbid, the rest of the season? He’s looked pretty good in preseason games, but what if ……? Jeez, I mentally can’t afford to go there either.

What happens if Tony Gonzalez goes down? When people tell me the Chiefs don’t have any dangerous wide receivers, I respond that with TG, it really isn’t that necessary. Is Sammie Parker the real deal? Is Freddy Mitchell really first round quality? Can Bo return to rookie season form? I need some Tylenol P.M.

What happens if one of the new defensive acquisitions goes down? Or all of them? And the same defensive unit from last year has to protect the teepee? Can I have some wine in large quantities to go with the Tylenol P.M.?

What happens if Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson both go down on the same play? Can I have some cognac to chase the wine in large quantities and the Tylenol P.M.?

What happens if ……. Ah, I’m officially passed out.

And dreaming of times when someone named Bell and someone named Derrick played on our defense, and now there are two of them on the same team. Dreaming of Sammie Parker, Eddie Kennison, Tony Gonzalez, Kris Wilson, Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson all on the same field together. With a healthy Trent Green with the ball.

Dreaming of Dante Hall scoring touchdowns on punt returns and kickoffs. Dreaming of a new punter who kicks the ball freakishly high and long with movement that makes it almost impossible to catch. Dreaming of a kicker who hits the end zone regularly with kickoffs. And he makes his extra points.

Heavens to Betsy, all of this reeks of hope. I must wake up for this is not allowed. There can be no expectations. None. Can’t be. Won’t be. Not by me. Not again.

Oh *&^!!!^%!!!! Anyone know how much it costs to fly from Boise to Detroit?

The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

A displaced Missouri native, Barnes remains an avid fan from his outpost in Idaho. Retired as president of the Idaho Press Tribune, he writes occasionally throughout the year.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/07/31/barnes_great_expectations/

Ebolapox
08-01-2005, 08:40 PM
goddamn--my exact thoughts--I'm sick of predicting super bowl EVERY f*cking year (seriously, there's JUST enough homer in me--hope never dies)--this year, I've sworn--no predictions, just enjoy the ride, wherever it takes us

-EB-

the Talking Can
08-01-2005, 10:20 PM
nice article....although I have high hopes for the season I am also perfectly aware we could be 7-9 again..easy...

2bikemike
08-01-2005, 10:30 PM
I always like this guys articles. I feel like he and I are on the same page about 98% of the time. It also helps that he and I are both in the same boat as far as being displaced fans.

I never get obnoxious with preseason predictions. I leave all that to my Charger fan buddies. Damn it was a nice ride dogging them for so many years.

ENDelt260
08-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Retired as president of the Idaho Press Tribune

Jim retired? Why wasn't I invited to the party?

Logical
08-01-2005, 11:07 PM
I always like this guys articles. I feel like he and I are on the same page about 98% of the time. It also helps that he and I are both in the same boat as far as being displaced fans.

I never get obnoxious with preseason predictions. I leave all that to my Charger fan buddies. Damn it was a nice ride dogging them for so many years.I still dogged them, just that they would lose by a field goal in the first playoff game. They all laughed and said that was old news, KC history. It was sweet, yes that loss was sweet, may Marty never win another playoff game.:D

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-02-2005, 07:38 AM
Jim is the reason I am here. He mentioned this place in one of his articles once. The rest is history... so you can blame him.

Lzen
08-02-2005, 07:53 AM
I still dogged them, just that they would lose by a field goal in the first playoff game. They all laughed and said that was old news, KC history. It was sweet, yes that loss was sweet, may Marty never win another playoff game.:D

You are a bastard.

ROFL

Baby Lee
08-02-2005, 07:58 AM
What happens if Trent Green goes down?
What happens if Tony Gonzalez goes down?
What happens if one of the new defensive acquisitions goes down?
Or all of them?
What happens if Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson both go down on the same play?
So, injuries are an important factor in success?

What if the whole team is killed in a plane crash? That'll probably adversely the season.

BigRedChief
08-02-2005, 08:01 AM
nice article....although I have high hopes for the season I am also perfectly aware we could be 7-9 again..easy...

Trent goes down for any length of time...Todd Collins aint getting us to the Super Bowl. But thats true with just about every NFL team. If a QB is a good NFL QB he would be starting for someone else.

Baby Lee
08-02-2005, 08:07 AM
Trent goes down for any length of time...Todd Collins aint getting us to the Super Bowl. But thats true with just about every NFL team.
Especially Dick Vermiel teams, eh? ;)

Herzig
08-02-2005, 08:07 AM
So, injuries are an important factor in success?

What if the whole team is killed in a plane crash? That'll probably adversely the season.

Dammit...Baby Lee...start knocking on wood NOW!
:p ROFL STFU

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-02-2005, 08:34 AM
I have every bit of faith that Todd Collins or Damon Huard either one could step right in and lead us to at least one more win... maybe two.

Kclee
08-02-2005, 08:53 AM
Trent goes down for any length of time...Todd Collins aint getting us to the Super Bowl. But thats true with just about every NFL team. If a QB is a good NFL QB he would be starting for someone else.

Bah, we'll just sign Jeff George.