View Full Version : Boomer : Rookie Diary...... funny

ROYC75
08-02-2005, 09:03 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/08/02/boomer_grigsby/

BOOMER GRIGSBY
Aug 02, 2005, 9:28:42 AM

Rookie Diary
Entry 1 Ė August 1, 2005

Whatís up Chiefs fans, thanks for stopping by to check out my new rookie diary. Hopefully weíll be able to post a new entry every couple days, so keep checking back for the latest from camp.

Well, I might as well start at the beginning. The trip started back in Kansas City where all of the players and staff jumped on about five coach buses to take us up to the airport last Wednesday. It was just a little bit of an upgrade from my collegiate trips at Illinois State.

We got on a big charter plane, where we all had open seats on either side of us. Then the flight attendants would come around and bring us all kinds of food and drinks. They brought fruit trays, cookies, quesadillas, Gatorade, you name it. I was sitting there watching Million Dollar Baby on the screens and thinking, ďThis is the only way to travel!Ē It was a far cry from the bus trips we used to take at Illinois State. I think once a year we flew to a game, and even then we werenít catered too like we were on the flight up here.

Once we landed we got on buses again and made the 45-minute bus ride over the River Falls. I got my first chance to look at River Falls, Wisconsin and I like it. Iím a Midwest guy, so I love being here.

Itís nice and green everywhere so you know itís been raining every now and then and probably hasnít been as hot as it is in Kansas City and Illinois. So I was smiling on the bus thinking about that. I knew that if I see that grass turning yellow then itís probably been smoking hot up here and weíre going to be out of breath during practice.

Weíre living in a typical college dorm, pretty much like the ones Iím used to from my college days. Theyíre built the same way except the major difference is there are no elevators in them. Thank goodness no one on the team has a broken leg or is in a wheelchair.

Anyway, they put us nice, young-bodied rookies on the fourth floor (which is the top floor by the way). That way we have to trot up the four flights of stairs after every two-and-a-half hour practice. I call this the Trail of Tears. Or the Walk of Shame. You just kind of walk up with your head down, watching your feet come up each step. Iíve noticed that if you look up and watch each floor go by it takes even longer. So if you just keep your head down you kind of psych yourself out and think, Iíve got to get tough and get through it. Then you end up at the top and you look up and youíre there because there are no more stairs.

The first couple practices have gone pretty well. I wasnít really nervous, but I didnít know what to expect. In college I could push people around on the field and run over linemen. Here itís a different story. You just donít hit someone, knock them down and run past them, especially if they see you coming. Everyone up here is a better athlete and a better player than anyone I faced in college.

The biggest thing Iíve realized so far is just how fast the speed of the game is. One thing I need to adjust to from the college level is leverage. Thank God Iím 5-11, because I still play a little high. If I were 6-4 I might really be in some trouble getting down. As much as everyone thought, ďMan, I wish Boomer was taller,Ē you can have that. I think itís a blessing in disguise for me to be as short as I am. But I think thatís something thatís going to come with technique. Obviously itís not about whoís stronger because I think I can bench press a lot more than a lot of linebackers, but until I learn to play with leverage itís not really going to work to my advantage.

I had a little bit of a ďWelcome to the NFLĒ moment in practice the other day. We were doing a one-on-one blitzing drill with the linebackers and running backs. Basically there are two cones set up a couple yards apart and the goal of the drill for the backer is to try to blitz and get past the running back. You only have a small space to get by, so you usually end up having to try to go through the back. Itís a pretty intense drill.

So during this period it basically turned into the Oklahoma Drill (almost live tackling). I donít remember which guy I hit, it could have been Robert Holcombe, Ronnie Cruz or McKenzi Smith, but whichever one it was I mashed heads with him. I had a few super collisions. So Iím standing there after the drill thinking, ďMan, I think my head is swelling. I think I might have a concussion. But I donít want anyone to think Iím soft so I donít say anything. All the while Iím kind of keeping to myself, straining a little smile and thinking in the back of my headÖ ďhere it comes, any second Iím going to fall over. Here comes the aneurism.Ē Iím thinking my head must be swelling and Iím scared to take my helmet off.

Finally about 10-15 minutes later I take my helmet off and see that the top bar of my facemask is bent in about four directions. Because of that, that plastic of the helmet was into my head. Thank God it was an equipment problem and not my skull crushed in.

But Iíve got a new helmet now and Iím back out on the field trying to bend other guysí facemasks now.

Talk to you in a couple days!

- Boomer

Bootlegged
08-02-2005, 09:06 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/08/02/boomer_grigsby/

BOOMER GRIGSBY
Aug 02, 2005, 9:28:42 AM

Rookie Diary
Entry 1 Ė August 1, 2005

Whatís up Chiefs fans, thanks for stopping by to check out my new rookie diary. Hopefully weíll be able to post a new entry every couple days, so keep checking back for the latest from camp.

Well, I might as well start at the beginning. The trip started back in Kansas City where all of the players and staff jumped on about five coach buses to take us up to the airport last Wednesday. It was just a little bit of an upgrade from my collegiate trips at Illinois State.

We got on a big charter plane, where we all had open seats on either side of us. Then the flight attendants would come around and bring us all kinds of food and drinks. They brought fruit trays, cookies, quesadillas, Gatorade, you name it. I was sitting there watching Million Dollar Baby on the screens and thinking, ďThis is the only way to travel!Ē It was a far cry from the bus trips we used to take at Illinois State. I think once a year we flew to a game, and even then we werenít catered too like we were on the flight up here.

Once we landed we got on buses again and made the 45-minute bus ride over the River Falls. I got my first chance to look at River Falls, Wisconsin and I like it. Iím a Midwest guy, so I love being here.

Itís nice and green everywhere so you know itís been raining every now and then and probably hasnít been as hot as it is in Kansas City and Illinois. So I was smiling on the bus thinking about that. I knew that if I see that grass turning yellow then itís probably been smoking hot up here and weíre going to be out of breath during practice.

Weíre living in a typical college dorm, pretty much like the ones Iím used to from my college days. Theyíre built the same way except the major difference is there are no elevators in them. Thank goodness no one on the team has a broken leg or is in a wheelchair.

Anyway, they put us nice, young-bodied rookies on the fourth floor (which is the top floor by the way). That way we have to trot up the four flights of stairs after every two-and-a-half hour practice. I call this the Trail of Tears. Or the Walk of Shame. You just kind of walk up with your head down, watching your feet come up each step. Iíve noticed that if you look up and watch each floor go by it takes even longer. So if you just keep your head down you kind of psych yourself out and think, Iíve got to get tough and get through it. Then you end up at the top and you look up and youíre there because there are no more stairs.

The first couple practices have gone pretty well. I wasnít really nervous, but I didnít know what to expect. In college I could push people around on the field and run over linemen. Here itís a different story. You just donít hit someone, knock them down and run past them, especially if they see you coming. Everyone up here is a better athlete and a better player than anyone I faced in college.

The biggest thing Iíve realized so far is just how fast the speed of the game is. One thing I need to adjust to from the college level is leverage. Thank God Iím 5-11, because I still play a little high. If I were 6-4 I might really be in some trouble getting down. As much as everyone thought, ďMan, I wish Boomer was taller,Ē you can have that. I think itís a blessing in disguise for me to be as short as I am. But I think thatís something thatís going to come with technique. Obviously itís not about whoís stronger because I think I can bench press a lot more than a lot of linebackers, but until I learn to play with leverage itís not really going to work to my advantage.

I had a little bit of a ďWelcome to the NFLĒ moment in practice the other day. We were doing a one-on-one blitzing drill with the linebackers and running backs. Basically there are two cones set up a couple yards apart and the goal of the drill for the backer is to try to blitz and get past the running back. You only have a small space to get by, so you usually end up having to try to go through the back. Itís a pretty intense drill.

So during this period it basically turned into the Oklahoma Drill (almost live tackling). I donít remember which guy I hit, it could have been Robert Holcombe, Ronnie Cruz or McKenzi Smith, but whichever one it was I mashed heads with him. I had a few super collisions. So Iím standing there after the drill thinking, ďMan, I think my head is swelling. I think I might have a concussion. But I donít want anyone to think Iím soft so I donít say anything. All the while Iím kind of keeping to myself, straining a little smile and thinking in the back of my headÖ ďhere it comes, any second Iím going to fall over. Here comes the aneurism.Ē Iím thinking my head must be swelling and Iím scared to take my helmet off.

Finally about 10-15 minutes later I take my helmet off and see that the top bar of my facemask is bent in about four directions. Because of that, that plastic of the helmet was into my head. Thank God it was an equipment problem and not my skull crushed in.

But Iíve got a new helmet now and Iím back out on the field trying to bend other guysí facemasks now.

Talk to you in a couple days!

- Boomer

Spicoli in football pads...

Dude, that's my skull!! http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cameroncrowe/fasttimes/images/fasttimes38.jpg

ROYC75
08-02-2005, 09:12 AM
Now he is a crazy, dazed white boy........

Fried Meat Ball!
08-02-2005, 09:13 AM
ROFL

ct
08-02-2005, 09:17 AM
Thank God it wasn't my skull crushed in! Hilarious!!

Rain Man
08-02-2005, 09:17 AM
(Chuckle.) That's pretty funny.

HemiEd
08-02-2005, 09:24 AM
"Finally about 10-15 minutes later I take my helmet off and see that the top bar of my facemask is bent in about four directions. Because of that, that plastic of the helmet was into my head. Thank God it was an equipment problem and not my skull crushed in.

But Iíve got a new helmet now and Iím back out on the field trying to bend other guysí facemasks now."

This is one tough kid. ROFL

InChiefsHell
08-02-2005, 09:24 AM
This guy is gonna be fun to watch if he makes the team...he'll provide many "quotes of the week" if nothing else...

Warrior5
08-02-2005, 09:28 AM
I foresee him going through a lot of helmets, and I like that.

'Specially if they have a lot of dark blue "skid" marks on them.

InChiefsHell
08-02-2005, 09:46 AM
I foresee him going through a lot of helmets, and I like that.

'Specially if they have a lot of dark blue "skid" marks on them.

From sticking his head up a Smurf's ass?? I don't get that at all...

:p

Warrior5
08-02-2005, 11:07 AM
From sticking his head up a Smurf's ass?? I don't get that at all... :p

uh, no...I said dark blue, as in the result of violent collisions with Donk helmets.

...spelling it out for Smurf fans.

Lzen
08-02-2005, 11:08 AM
That's great stuff. :thumb:

whoman69
08-02-2005, 04:12 PM
This is even better than hearing about Kawika Mitchell going thru a windshield at 50 mph and making it out ok.

eff the donkeys
08-02-2005, 04:20 PM
I'm glad we don't have any players with broken legs or in wheelchairs too, Boomer.

StcChief
08-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Boomer is the real deal. What you see is what you get.

KChiefsQT
08-02-2005, 04:40 PM
I'll say it again... I like this guy!!!! :drool: Is he single?

ROYC75
08-02-2005, 07:13 PM
I'll say it again... I like this guy!!!! :drool: Is he single?

That would be yes, his other stayed behind in Illinois.

I heard that he is looking for some sex slaves to take up the last 2 hours of his day @ www.boomerssexslaves.com (http://www.boomerssexslaves.com)

gblowfish
08-02-2005, 07:24 PM
You can tell Boomer is NOT Rufus Dawes. Nice to read something from the Chiefs that doesn't need a thesaurus to figure out. And I don't think Boomer mentioned "the media" once. The Chiefs PR wanks could learn a thing or two from this simple entry how to communicate with average joe fans like us.

Yeah, Boomer!! You go, Rook! Hope this kid makes the 53. He'll be fun to watch.

SoCalBronco
08-02-2005, 07:25 PM
A guy on our board played against him in college and said he is an amazing player, said he is better than Edgerton Hartwell, who he also played against in the past.

KChiefsQT
08-02-2005, 07:59 PM
That would be yes, his other stayed behind in Illinois.

I heard that he is looking for some sex slaves to take up the last 2 hours of his day @ www.boomerssexslaves.com (http://www.boomerssexslaves.com)

Great!! Signed up... heading out tomorrow. Don't worry when I get back there will be a thread and it WILL include pics. Yooooozer!

Rain Man
08-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Am I misunderstanding, or did kchiefsqt just sign up to be boomer's sex slave?

ENDelt260
08-02-2005, 08:03 PM
And she plans to post pics of "lil boomer"

tk13
08-02-2005, 08:05 PM
Don't worry, I'm actually Boomer. Nowhere on the website did it actually say "Boomer Grigsby". Gotta read the fine print.

KChiefsQT
08-02-2005, 08:06 PM
Don't worry, I'm actually Boomer. Nowhere on the website did it actually say "Boomer Grigsby". Gotta read the fine print.

Now why'd u gotta go and give up the dirt. Consider my flight cancelled. :shake:

tk13
08-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Now why'd u gotta go and give up the dirt. Consider my flight cancelled. :shake:
That's okay. I have your money. You'll come back. They always come back.

Rain Man
08-02-2005, 08:13 PM

I would think it would be relatively easy to get another job if you're an unemployed sex slave. People are always hiring for that.

KChiefsQT
08-02-2005, 08:20 PM
I would think it would be relatively easy to get another job if you're an unemployed sex slave. People are always hiring for that.

Are you interested?

tk13
08-02-2005, 08:25 PM
Hey, back off. Her contract doesn't expire for another 25 years. Sorry old man.

Rain Man
08-02-2005, 08:30 PM
Are you interested?

I'll need to talk to my lawyer about this 25-year contract you supposedly signed.

We do offer internships, though.