PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here live in Columbia, MO?

Rain Man
08-02-2005, 09:12 AM
I was just looking at a competitor's report for a citizen survey in Columbia, MO.

Would anyone who's knowledgeable about Columbia glance through this report and tell me if you think their "areas of concern" are accurate? Rep to anyone who responds with a knowledgeable opinion.

http://www.gocolumbiamo.com/Feedback/etc-survey_2005.html

I compete against this firm frequently and they're very strong competitors, but I don't agree with their methodology. Aside from the fact that they apparently don't offer anonymous responses on their surveys (which I think is a problem) and some other technical issues, they're going into a lot of detail about specific neighborhoods of the city. Based on the sample size of the survey (approx. 600 responses), I'm wondering how good their results are, because I think it's risky to divide the data into increments that small. Nonetheless, I'm curious about whether a person can draw reasonable results from small sample sizes.

Nzoner
08-02-2005, 09:16 AM
You need Mmadogg,he knows Columbia.

Rain Man
08-02-2005, 09:18 AM
Who?

(Just kidding, mmaddog. I'm trying to build your legend.)

crispystl420
08-02-2005, 09:24 AM
I was just looking at a competitor's report for a citizen survey in Columbia, MO.

Would anyone who's knowledgeable about Columbia glance through this report and tell me if you think their "areas of concern" are accurate? Rep to anyone who responds with a knowledgeable opinion.

http://www.gocolumbiamo.com/Feedback/etc-survey_2005.html

I compete against this firm frequently and they're very strong competitors, but I don't agree with their methodology. Aside from the fact that they apparently don't offer anonymous responses on their surveys (which I think is a problem) and some other technical issues, they're going into a lot of detail about specific neighborhoods of the city. Based on the sample size of the survey (approx. 600 responses), I'm wondering how good their results are, because I think it's risky to divide the data into increments that small. Nonetheless, I'm curious about whether a person can draw reasonable results from small sample sizes.
I work in columbia go to Mizzou and party there all the time I could probably tell you a few things about Columbia what were you looking for?

Donger
08-02-2005, 09:26 AM
I work in columbia go to Mizzou and party there all the time I could probably tell you a few things about Columbia what were you looking for?

A few periods would be nice.

Rain Man
08-02-2005, 09:41 AM

Cool. Thanks.

If you click on that report, you'll see lots of maps with arrows pointing to "areas of concern." Based on your knowledge of the city, do those "areas of concern" make sense to you?

Demonpenz
08-02-2005, 09:44 AM
is there an arrow right around the defense at farout field?

Rain Man
08-02-2005, 09:46 AM
(Slap. Slap.) Concentrate, people! You can do it! (Slap. Slap.)

(Slap.)

(That last one was just for fun.)

Demonpenz
08-02-2005, 09:47 AM
in my year of marketing analiysis i have come to the conclusion that this website needs more pie charts and random diagram followed by large clapping hands and a cheesy tagline like together we can attain your dreams

Ari Chi3fs
08-02-2005, 09:53 AM
if I lived in Columbia MO... Id shoot myself. What a shithole.

Demonpenz
08-02-2005, 09:59 AM
not enough stabbings ;) for ya?

KC Kings
08-02-2005, 10:36 AM

If you lived there and hated it that bad, why wouldn't you just move?

Rain Man
08-02-2005, 10:37 AM
If you lived there and hated it that bad, why wouldn't you just move?

Maybe he thinks they've got a good paramedic service in Columbia.

Bearcat
08-02-2005, 10:49 AM
(Slap. Slap.) Concentrate, people! You can do it! (Slap. Slap.)

(Slap.)

(That last one was just for fun.)

That Claritas software that lets you enter the zip code & returns the descriptions of those who live there is pretty cool.

~ Not helping.

Rain Man
08-02-2005, 10:50 AM
That Claritas software that lets you enter the zip code & returns the descriptions of those who live there is pretty cool.

~ Not helping.

(Slap.)

(Slap.)

crispystl420
08-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Sorry man my computer won't open it.

gblowfish
08-02-2005, 10:57 AM
I lived in Columbia for 8 years (1978-1986). It's changed a lot, much more spread out, more malls and development. It's a nice place to live if you travel. 2 hours to KC or StL, 90 mins to Lake of Ozarks, about 3 hours to Springfield, 3 hours to Taum Sauk Mountain and Johnson Shut Ins for camping and such. Nice place to live, actually. And pretty girls EVERYWHERE!

Rain Man
08-02-2005, 11:09 AM
Sorry man my computer won't open it.

Gimme my rep back.

Midway Chief
08-02-2005, 11:33 AM
I live just outside of Columbia and have lived in the area for 15+ years. Here are a few thoughts about the survey. The sample size is pretty small at 613. I also did not see a break down of how many people responded for each area of the city. This might lead to the fact that the one area in the northeast part of the city seemed to pop us as an area of concern on most of the catagories. I have no resonable explanation of why that part would have any of the mentioned concerns. The downtown area of any city is probaly going to have the biggest concerns about safety and Columbia is no different. This is an area of the higest crime due to the people living there. The area just off of Stadium that is an area of concern is right next to an area that got the best rating, so I wouldn't take a lot of stock in that. The question about the quality of new development is very general and very subjective. Some like the goroth that Columbia is going through and some don't. Traffic flow comes up quite a bit in this survey and Columbia has some growing pains in this area. However, the "rush hour" here lasts maybe 15-20 minutes if that. It has increased and people that never experience a real rush hour are therefore going to complain. Police issues were also an area of concern. I believe a big reason for that is the shooting (one killing) of two police officers in January. Again, Columbia residents are not faced with everyday murders like larger cities have.

Overall I don't see this as being that acurate of a survey. Many of the generalities could be made without even doing the survey. Hope this helped a little

Ali, I don't know when you have been to Columbia (if ever), but it is not the "shithole" you so eloquently suggested. Feel free to shoot yourself anyway if you want.

Rain Man
08-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Ali, I don't know when you have been to Columbia (if ever), but it is not the "shithole" you so eloquently suggested. Feel free to shoot yourself anyway if you want.

ROFL

Best 8th post ever. Rep to you, and thanks.

This enhances my suspicions that this company is "overanalyzing". I don't think they have enough surveys to accurately provide the level of detail in that report.

Mosbonian
08-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Rain:

This survey is kind of like writing an article about a sports event that happened on the East Coast, when you live in the West Coast. All you get is second-hand stuff.

Midway Chief hit a lot of good points, and having lived here longer than me he can probably give you a better historical view of this town than I.

As for what I see, and how it matches to the truth....

First, the benchmarking cities suck for the most part....you can't lump all the surrounding communities of KC to an urban city like Columbia....had they tried to benchmark against cities like Columbia, SC, Savannah, GA, Augusta, GA....towns of equal size with large universities making up a sizeable population, I could see it.

Second, the map of who responded by address is so skewed it's hard to give it any legitimacy....judging by the dots there are a large number of respondents from around the college, which actually doesn't really reflect the temperature of the community as a whole.

When I looked at the demographics, I almost rolled over laughing. My first response was that the majority of the people who responded were white housewives whose spouses work for either the University, the Hospitals, or State Farm.

more....

KC Kings
08-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Less than 5 years ago Time magazine had Columbia listed as one of the top ten cities to live in the country. It was right when I was getting out of the military and we were trying to figure out where we wanted to go.

Mosbonian
08-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Perceptions of the City:

I would agree with the percentages in the first three categories...

As for Overall feeling of safety, like Midway said, it is probably skewed a little after the fatal shooting of Police Officer Molly Bowden, and the wounding of Officer Curtis Brown, along with the mirder of the University professor. All in all, Columbia is a pretty safe town....there aren't many places you fear to drive in this town, even late at night...not saying they are safe, just not on par with some of the areas like in KC or St. Louis.

I would also agree that the last two categories are pretty accurate....this cit is not at all prepared for nor handling well the accelerated growth of this town.

Potential Areas of Concern:(Quality of services)

Downtown? Duhhhhhhhh....you've got the University! Right now there is so much refurbishing going on downtown and the surrounding areas that it is going to look like it is desparately in need of repair. What Columbia is doing that most US Cities are not is that while the largest amount of growth is still the outskirts of the city, the center of the town is not being abandoned. Businesses are everywhere, and most in the downtown area are geared to the college crowd....well, and the tree huggers too.

Potential Areas of Concern (Overall feeling of safety)

Not much struggle to figure these out.....near the University....Northeast side of town, and a section off Broadway and Stadium....

Potential Areas of Concern( Overall Quality of New Development)

Growing areas-Southwest part of town....non-growing areas-near the University. The Northeast part of town is growing, it's just that the pricing of the houses going in that area is at least $20 to 30k less than say in the Southwest or Southeast...

I could go on and on about this survey...but quite frankly it is a bit elementary IMO. I bet a good HS class could probably put together this kind of an assessment.

There is so much that this misses about Columbia....I doubt they even scratched the surface of what people are happy and unhappy about in this town...

mmaddog

Mosbonian
08-02-2005, 12:50 PM
And Ali.....

It's easy to see that your comment was just a 'Hawk-biased uneducated assessment of a very nice city.

I moved here and enjoy the town....it may not have the best BBQ, and it's full of empty-headed Cardinal and Rams fans, but it's big city life without the traffic jams and crime rates.

mmaddog

PastorMikH
08-02-2005, 12:52 PM
I haven't lived in Columbia for 16 years, but did grow up there and still have family there. The initial summary seems pretty accurate except I'm not sure about their communications assesment. Dad lives on the north side, they are still on copper wire phone lines instead of fiberoptic, the cable TV technology in his area is 30 years old, and cell phone reception where they are is pitiful. Their only hope for high-speed internet is through satalite tv companies. I do see from one of the maps that the company does have his area listed as one if the highest concern areas.

I do notice from the map that there are very few surveys from the NE side of town.

According to their population stats, they are fairly close to the 2000 census reports but are off a little bit. I'm not sure that thier income figures line up with the Census figures - if 73% of people reporting make over 30k, then how can the census figres have the mean household income at 33k.

In the perceptions part, I'm not sure about the safety reports. Personally, I am more protective of my kids and belongings there than most other places we have been or visit. I am much more comfortable with the safety of my family in Springfield for example - which is quite a bit bigger in pop, than I do in Columbia. I would tend to agree with their findings on growth planning and developement - Columbia would really take off it they would do a better job of planning for growth. It almost seems from my recolection that an area starts developing before they have any real plans in place. The maps of concern for safety, I'd rate several of those areas lower than they are. The area in white around business loop 70 wouldn't be as much of a concern to me as the area south of it around the Douglass Park area and out 8-10 blocks in most directions.

As for public safety, from all I hear, the Columbia Police aren't too respected for their law-enforcement efforts. I've heard numerous commenst from people that they are a joke. Something that stuck out to me (not pro or con of their report) is the need for police visability in areas. We don't need police to be "Visible" we need them to arrest law breakers.

Parks and rec are probably pretty close to accurate in my opinion. They have some decent parks, but they don't have near as many quality parks as some of the other places we have lived. Pools around Columbia do need more emphasis too.

Overall, I think one of Columbia's biggest problems is with traffic. Problem is, they have grown so much that it would be difficult to increase road improvements through the main areas of concern due to the over-developement. They do need to think about somemore by-passes to promote growth in out-lying areas.

Kevin, take this evaluation for what it's worth. Like I said, it has been several years since I actually lived there. However, I do stay in contact with family in the area and have lived in enough other places that help me to better compare. For the most part, their reports don't look too bad to me, I tried to just note the areas that really stood out in the brief amount of time I spent reading it.

Mosbonian
08-02-2005, 01:04 PM
I haven't lived in Columbia for 16 years, but did grow up there and still have family there. The initial summary seems pretty accurate except I'm not sure about their communications assesment. Dad lives on the north side, they are still on copper wire phone lines instead of fiberoptic, the cable TV technology in his area is 30 years old, and cell phone reception where they are is pitiful. Their only hope for high-speed internet is through satalite tv companies. I do see from one of the maps that the company does have his area listed as one if the highest concern areas.

I do notice from the map that there are very few surveys from the NE side of town.

According to their population stats, they are fairly close to the 2000 census reports but are off a little bit. I'm not sure that thier income figures line up with the Census figures - if 73% of people reporting make over 30k, then how can the census figres have the mean household income at 33k.

In the perceptions part, I'm not sure about the safety reports. Personally, I am more protective of my kids and belongings there than most other places we have been or visit. I am much more comfortable with the safety of my family in Springfield for example - which is quite a bit bigger in pop, than I do in Columbia. I would tend to agree with their findings on growth planning and developement - Columbia would really take off it they would do a better job of planning for growth. It almost seems from my recolection that an area starts developing before they have any real plans in place. The maps of concern for safety, I'd rate several of those areas lower than they are. The area in white around business loop 70 wouldn't be as much of a concern to me as the area south of it around the Douglass Park area and out 8-10 blocks in most directions.

As for public safety, from all I hear, the Columbia Police aren't too respected for their law-enforcement efforts. I've heard numerous commenst from people that they are a joke. Something that stuck out to me (not pro or con of their report) is the need for police visability in areas. We don't need police to be "Visible" we need them to arrest law breakers.

Parks and rec are probably pretty close to accurate in my opinion. They have some decent parks, but they don't have near as many quality parks as some of the other places we have lived. Pools around Columbia do need more emphasis too.

Overall, I think one of Columbia's biggest problems is with traffic. Problem is, they have grown so much that it would be difficult to increase road improvements through the main areas of concern due to the over-developement. They do need to think about somemore by-passes to promote growth in out-lying areas.

Kevin, take this evaluation for what it's worth. Like I said, it has been several years since I actually lived there. However, I do stay in contact with family in the area and have lived in enough other places that help me to better compare. For the most part, their reports don't look too bad to me, I tried to just note the areas that really stood out in the brief amount of time I spent reading it.

I agree about the traffic....but it's not hard to tell where all the money lies in this town. Just look at the streets.....where there is money there are 4 lanes with a suicide lane added....where the growth is busting at the seams, they still have 2 lane roads that are destined to cause a major accident before too long....(the Broadway to Scott to Vawter School Road area is a perfect example)

But I'm not sure I agree with you about the assessment of the Police force....I have a couple of friends on the force, work with the wife of another officer, and Moon McCrary (yes the old MU B-Ball player)a former City Officer, used to live down the street from me. They are head and shoulders above any other town I have lived in of comparable size in both comunity presence and law enforcement skills. The DARE program in the schools is, IMO, very well run and accepted by the student population it targets. Their participation in community events, both on and off-duty, is very good. I have yet to find one officer that was surly, over-authoritative, or ill-suited to do his job. ( I am sure there might be some, but i haven't run into them yet)

mmaddog

Rain Man
08-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks, guys. I'm particularly interested in whether the neighborhoods that they're pointing at can reasonably be called "areas of concern" in those areas. It sounds like you don't find them too surprising?

Mosbonian
08-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Thanks, guys. I'm particularly interested in whether the neighborhoods that they're pointing at can reasonably be called "areas of concern" in those areas. It sounds like you don't find them too surprising?

I hope these weren't my tax dollars at work doing a study that produced results that even one of the greener investigative cub reporters from MU's School of Journalism could have deduced.

I would have liked my money spent on something that produced a better growth plan both economically and physcally.

mmaddog

Pants
08-02-2005, 02:07 PM

Bwahahahahaha.

Rain Man
08-02-2005, 02:48 PM
I hope these weren't my tax dollars at work doing a study that produced results that even one of the greener investigative cub reporters from MU's School of Journalism could have deduced.

I would have liked my money spent on something that produced a better growth plan both economically and physcally.

mmaddog

I would advise you to write a letter to your councilman, and inform them that you know of a firm in Denver that would've done a much better job. If you do, I'll buy you dinner the next time I'm in Columbia.