PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday, Aug. 2, 2005 Morning Practice Shields speaks about injury

chief4life
08-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Offense

This morning the offense did a running back drill that involved a lead blocker and a ball carrier. Running backs Larry Johnson and Tony Richardson were paired up for the drill; Running backs Coach James Saxon was very pleased with the pair, "Good, good that's a good relationship."

During this morning's practice, 9-on-9 drills were strongly emphasized with 45 plays ran. This was the first time the team has done 9-on-9 drills. Running was strongly emphasized. Running backs carrying the ball were Larry Johnson, McKenzi Smith, Samkon Gado, Ronnie Cruz and Robert Holcombe.

There were some passing plays completed in the 9-on-9's this morning. Wide receiver Eddie Kennison had a beautiful catch of 25 yards in the end zone from quarterback Todd Collins. Players on the field were heard singing the " Rock-n Roll Part Two " song in celebration.

After practice running back Samkon Gado practiced on the JUGS machines for about five minutes.

In a series of 11-on-11's quarterback James Kilian had a good series, going 4-4. Tight end Kris Wilson caught one for 10 yards, wide receiver Craphonso Thorpe caught one for 20 yards, tight end Edwin Thompson caught one for 15 yards, and wide receiver Darrell Hill caught one for 20 yards.

Offensive guard Vance Forest was release due to Johnson's arrival. "Normally when you bring in a linebacker you let another linebacker go. But with the numbers we could not do that. We had a little extra in the offensive line," said Coach Dick Vermeil.

Injured guard Will Shields was stopped for a press conference today after practice and discussed his health and future with the Chiefs. He said that he is "doing better than other days." When asked if he is going to retire he said, "I hope not. Everybody is speculating what I'm going to do. Nobody has asked me the question." Shields stated that the only way he would retire is if somebody came up to him on the field and said, "hey Will, you need to do this, you need to do that," and if he feels that he does not contribute to the team. He said that he doesn't just want to be a guy out on the field. He does not want to tear his body apart on the field. He has to consider the future so that he can still function normally for his family. Shields, who has played 192 straight regular season games, wants to be back out on the field and said that there is a lot of camp left to see if he will be back.

Coach Dick Vermeil was asked if he thought guard Will Shields can be ready? "I am confident but I have a concern; you always have a concern when a guy has a back problem."

Defense

Linebacker Derrick Johnson practiced for the first day today, and said that his first day of camp was "wonderful." Johnson had plenty of playing time today, and practiced with the first unit for special teams. "I'm a little winded, but I got a lot of work done." When asked if he felt behind for missing the first practices, he said that he is out here to learn, and that a lot of the plays and moves he learned at OTA is coming back to him, as well as learning a lot during the off season. "I feel real fresh out there. These guys were out here for four or five days so my legs feel a bit more fresh, but it feels good to be running around." When asked if he was ready to hit somebody, Johnson said, "oh definitely. You've got a lot of anxious build up just getting ready for football."

The defensive line worked on the sleds this morning and were encouraged to keep their hips down, their eyes up, and that "power comes from the ground up." Four players at a time would hit the sled three times, and on the third time, they would drag it until told to stop. Defensive ends Jared Allen, Eric Hicks, and defensive tackles Ryan Sims and Lional Dalton dragged the sled for over 10 yards, and even took out a huge chunk of grass. When defensive end Jimmy Wilkerson was up, he told one of the equipment workers near them, "you better move out of the way, son!"

Several defensive players were out of practice today. Linebackers Mike Maslowski , Scott Fujita, Shawn Barber , and Quinton Caver sat out this morning. Defensive back Jerome Woods and defensive tackle Junior Siavii were also out. However, defensive tackle John Browning was back at practice after complications from hydration.

During 11-on-11 drills, defensive tackle Lional Dalton knocked the ball out of quarterback Todd Collins' hands. Quarterback James Kilian was sacked by defensive end Jared Allen. Linebacker Kris Griffin made a big hit on tight end Edwin Thompson that caused Thompson to drop a pass from Kilian.

"I think the defense is getting better - they were very disruptive on everything the offense was trying to do," said Chiefs Coach Dick Vermeil in his post-practice press conference.

Coach Dick Vermeil was asked about the progress of linebacker Rich Scanlon. "He's doing well, he's a good football player. He's an improved football player today, more aggressive with more reaction and less hesitation."

Excitement is in the air having linebacker Derrick Johnson on the field for practice. Here are some of Vermeil's thoughts on his performance today. "He did a good job. He's flashing himself all over the place for a first day - you can see the athletic skill." Did Johnson look a little winded today? "Everybody else was so he ought to too; especially not having been there."

Special Teams

Today in special teams there were three field goal attempts. Kicker Lawrence Tynes kicked the ball and punter Dustin Colquitt was the holder. Tynes was 3-3, making attempts from 30, 37, and 40-yards.
Special teams also worked on kickoff coverage again today. Special teams coach Frank Gansz, Jr. had many comments to give his players, "Finish, finish, hustle back!" "Get to the ball with the proper shoulder!"

Fans

ct
08-02-2005, 12:42 PM
Big Will is certainly considering his future, whether he can take it or not. I'ts encouraging that he has yet to hear anyone telling him he's thru. At least that's my interpretation.

KC Kings
08-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Excitement is in the air having linebacker Derrick Johnson on the field for practice. Here are some of Vermeil's thoughts on his performance today. "He did a good job. He's flashing himself all over the place for a first day - you can see the athletic skill." Did Johnson look a little winded today? "Everybody else was so he ought to too; especially not having been there."

Fans

He didn't call him fat? I'd say Vermeil likes the kid.

Pants
08-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Comon Big Will, there's always Vicodin... :)

ROYC75
08-02-2005, 12:56 PM
Coach Dick Vermeil was asked about the progress of linebacker Rich Scanlon. "He's doing well, he's a good football player. He's an improved football player today, more aggressive with more reaction and less hesitation."

Just wanted to let you know you forgot to hi-lite this. :p :Poke:

I had to do this for a few of my buddies on here, to the others, please forgive me. :)

As for Shields, we all have our concerns, but I think he goes this year and calls it quit .

KCJake
08-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Offense

Injured guard Will Shields was stopped for a press conference today after practice and discussed his health and future with the Chiefs. He said that he is "doing better than other days." When asked if he is going to retire he said, "I hope not. Everybody is speculating what I'm going to do. Nobody has asked me the question." Shields stated that the only way he would retire is if somebody came up to him on the field and said, "hey Will, you need to do this, you need to do that," and if he feels that he does not contribute to the team. He said that he doesn't just want to be a guy out on the field. He does not want to tear his body apart on the field. He has to consider the future so that he can still function normally for his family. Shields, who has played 192 straight regular season games, wants to be back out on the field and said that there is a lot of camp left to see if he will be back.

This doesn't sound very good. Not to me anyway. Over the past 6 months, every Will Shield's interview i've heard doesn't sound good. It really doesn't sound like this guy wants to play football anymore.

whoman69
08-02-2005, 04:12 PM
I am hoping that Jimmy Wilkerson has finally caught up to the talent that would have been there had he completed his senior season. It would be great to see some competition on Eric Hicks side of the ball.

htismaqe
08-02-2005, 04:24 PM
I am hoping that Jimmy Wilkerson has finally caught up to the talent that would have been there had he completed his senior season. It would be great to see some competition on Eric Hicks side of the ball.

No chit.

Bob Dole
08-02-2005, 04:45 PM
Linebacker Kris Griffin made a big hit on tight end Edwin Thompson that caused Thompson to drop a pass from Kilian.

Keep ****ing doubting Kris Griffin!

jiveturkey
08-02-2005, 04:54 PM
This doesn't sound very good. Not to me anyway. Over the past 6 months, every Will Shield's interview i've heard doesn't sound good. It really doesn't sound like this guy wants to play football anymore.Outside of the fact that he keeps saying that he wants to play. :shrug:

C-Mac
08-02-2005, 05:43 PM
This doesn't sound very good. Not to me anyway. Over the past 6 months, every Will Shield's interview i've heard doesn't sound good. It really doesn't sound like this guy wants to play football anymore.

Shields stated that the only way he would retire is if somebody came up to him on the field and said, "hey Will, you need to do this, you need to do that," and if he feels that he does not contribute to the team.

Did I miss something? :shrug:

JimNasium
08-02-2005, 07:40 PM
Will just doesn't want to be at camp. I'm willing to bet that he'll be fine once the regular season rolls around.

KCJake
08-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Shields stated that the only way he would retire is if somebody came up to him on the field and said, "hey Will, you need to do this, you need to do that," and if he feels that he does not contribute to the team.

Did I miss something? :shrug:
I don't know. Maybe I missed something. Anyway, what does this mean?

"is if somebody came up to him on the field and said, "hey Will, you need to do this, you need to do that,"

Count Alex's Wins
08-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Truly it is amusing. This news has reached the Mane and they are hoping against hope Shields won't be around to pwn their Browncos:

Not that I'm wishing injury on anyone...

But if Shields or Roaf go down, Trent Green becomes a joke and returns to his natural self... He had 17 INTs WITH a healthy line last year.

And as far as Kendrell Bell goes, he couldn't pass a physical with the Giants... He seems to be an injury waiting to happen...

I suspect that if the Chiefs have a bad preseason, he'll retire. He's sticking around in hopes that this is the year to win a Superbowl. If he loses hope in that, he may pack it in...