PDA

View Full Version : Screen Pass To Priest!!

petegz28
08-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Ok, I have heard everyone on Sports Radio and many on here griping about our slow start last year bla, bla, ba. There is a simple explanation for why our offense started off slow.

Remember when Priest was saying he didn't want to catch the ball out of the back field as much before the season started last year?

Remember back in 2003 how powerful our offense was with him catching the ball out of the backfield???

Seems pretty simple to me. If we keep throwing screens to Priest or dump-offs it's gonna be hard for the defenses to drop back in their zones liek they did against us a lot last year.

Just my .02

htismaqe
08-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Excellent point!

I still remember that pass he caught against the Jets and took to the house -- that was 2002 wasn't it?

petegz28
08-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Also the injury to Kris Wilson I think hurt us too. Saundrs kept saying they had a lot of offense planned with him in it. When he broke his leg I think that threw us off our game plan and back into some old stuff teams studied on us.

Mr. Laz
08-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Ok, I have heard everyone on Sports Radio and many on here griping........

over/under on how many pete threads that start like this?

tk13
08-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Man you have been in an awfully crabby mood this whole last week. Lighten up, the season's almost here! :D

I do agree though, I think it hurt our offense. But that said, I do think teams were defending that screen pass a lot better. I remember a couple times where we did try to run the screen and the opponent was all over it. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that other teams were keying on it so much we had to try something else. Who knows.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-02-2005, 02:36 PM
The fact that our defense was out to lunch had more to do with our slow start/shitty season than anything.

Reaper16
08-02-2005, 02:37 PM
No doubt that the screen is an integral part of our offensive dominace. With Preist and our O-Line, it's a very effective weapon that we did need to use more last year. I heard Chirs Berman say on ESPN once that the screen pass is his favorite play in football, and that no team runs it better or more beautifully than the Kansas City Chiefs.

petegz28
08-02-2005, 02:37 PM
nlm

petegz28
08-02-2005, 02:38 PM
The fact that our defense was out to lunch had more to do with our slow start/shitty season than anything.

Well I was speaking of our offense specifcaly. Yet you are right.

Braincase
08-02-2005, 02:39 PM

I disagree. Our O started off slowly, and put us in a hole. That, and a couple of poor passes/sacks on closing drives pretty much nailed the coffin shut.

We MUST score early and often in our early games. I believe our D will be able to keep the game closer, and possible generate more turnovers than they have the last couple of years.

Priest and Larry are going to be our Thunder & Lightning, with TRich stirring up some gale forces from time to time.

HC_Chief
08-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Didn't help our wideouts and Wilson were all injured throughout TC and preseason. Timing is everything... at the start of the year, we were shaky in that regard.

PastorMikH
08-02-2005, 03:09 PM
I thought that was a problem last year. Priest as a dump-off recieving threat is huge. If he isn't an option, then we lose a big weapon. IMO Priest is such an offensive threat that he should be an option on EVERY play that he is on the field.

I also am not sure how losing Wilson was so huge. I understand that he offers a huge upside, but he was a rookie and not every rookie lives up to the hype once they get legit playing time. I hope he turns into the kind of player he's talked up, but in my opinion he is still unproven.

Pants
08-02-2005, 03:12 PM
I was thinking about this same thing last night. I was watching Metrosports and they were saying how Priest isn't concentrated on any individual goals/benchmarks this season, it's all about winning the SB ths year. So I thought to myself, finally he can start cathing the f*cking ball...

BigRedChief
08-02-2005, 03:15 PM
hell yeah. And what about the 2-5 yard dump off as the last check down. Usually he only has to beat an LB and its 10 yards before anyone else is around.

htismaqe
08-02-2005, 03:15 PM

I was at the Carolina game last year and for the better part of the first half, the defense did everything they could to keep us in it.

The offense was horribly flat and couldn't get a first down. Eventually the defense couldn't hold anymore and it all fell apart.

J Diddy
08-02-2005, 03:34 PM
I was at the Carolina game last year and for the better part of the first half, the defense did everything they could to keep us in it.

The offense was horribly flat and couldn't get a first down. Eventually the defense couldn't hold anymore and it all fell apart.

Yes I agree. I too was at the Carolina Game, probably the least enjoyable game I have ever been to. The offense wasn't doing anything and the d held for a while but they were not by far a shut out defense.

htismaqe
08-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Yes I agree. I too was at the Carolina Game, probably the least enjoyable game I have ever been to. The offense wasn't doing anything and the d held for a while but they were not by far a shut out defense.

They held for as long as they could. We could have won that game.

whoman69
08-02-2005, 03:37 PM
While I see Priest not wanting to catch the ball as a contributing factor, I would point to a more obvious reason the lack of protection from the RT spot on passing plays. Once we started getting Wellbourne out of there on passing downs, it helped the team out tremendously. I think he can help us this year at guard depth, but its obvious he was not tackle material.

Mr. Laz
08-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Man you have been in an awfully crabby mood this whole last week. Lighten up, the season's almost here! :D

i'm just dying waiting for football to start

Chief Faithful
08-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Didn't help our wideouts and Wilson were all injured throughout TC and preseason. Timing is everything... at the start of the year, we were shaky in that regard.

I think that was the biggest contributor last year to the slow start and the reason why I'm concerned about Mitchell having a knee problem this early in camp. I have a strong feeling FedEx will be the #2 receiver and he needs to be in training camp to get timing down with Green.

The screen to Holmes only works when the passing game is working. The offense started flat last year and didn't start to run smooth until the wideouts started making plays. This offense really does start with the pass.

I still remember in DV's first year the offense didn't really start to click until Eddie Kennison joined the team and started because he could spread the field. The passing game has to work to spread the field, which opens up everything else.

The good thing is there is more quality receivers on the Chiefs than any year DV has been in KC.

Hydrae
08-02-2005, 05:57 PM
It seems like Trent himself comes out flat most games and the early part of every season. It was not unique to last year.

Chief Faithful
08-02-2005, 06:12 PM
It seems like Trent himself comes out flat most games and the early part of every season. It was not unique to last year.

True, but every year the WR's get banged up in preseason. I was hoping this year would be different, but already FedEx in injured.

jspchief
08-02-2005, 06:37 PM
How the hell could the injury to Kris Wilson have had anything to do with our problems last year? I have a hard time believing the team missed something that they never had.

I have a feeling a lot of fans are going to get a rude awakening with this cat.

milkman
08-02-2005, 07:05 PM
I think that was the biggest contributor last year to the slow start and the reason why I'm concerned about Mitchell having a knee problem this early in camp. I have a strong feeling FedEx will be the #2 receiver and he needs to be in training camp to get timing down with Green.

The screen to Holmes only works when the passing game is working. The offense started flat last year and didn't start to run smooth until the wideouts started making plays. This offense really does start with the pass.

I still remember in DV's first year the offense didn't really start to click until Eddie Kennison joined the team and started because he could spread the field. The passing game has to work to spread the field, which opens up everything else.

The good thing is there is more quality receivers on the Chiefs than any year DV has been in KC.

I have a strong feeling that by the start of the season, Samie Parker will be, and would have been, our #2 receiver.

I also have a strong feeling that ExFred got lucky to get injured, cause had he been able to compete for a roster spot, he would have been cut, or relegated to the 4th receiver, at best.

Regardless of Dick's desire to rotate receivers at that #2 spot, my feeling is that Samie is just going to be to good to keep off the field.

keg in kc
08-02-2005, 07:59 PM
How the hell could the injury to Kris Wilson have had anything to do with our problems last year? I have a hard time believing the team missed something that they never had.Just for the sake of argument, say (knock on wood I'm not jinxing us) that DJ looks great at SSLB the first couple of preseason games. Then he gets hurt, out for the year. Would we miss him? After working him in defensive sets throughout camp, expecting to have him on the field, could that have an impact on the unit?

Sure-Oz
08-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Priest was a huge part of the passing game, his ass needs to get the ball as much as possible, he absolutely shredded them on screens!

ROYC75
08-02-2005, 10:20 PM
No screens, injuries, crap everything went wrong the 1st 5 games it seems........offense, defense, ST's .......

HemiEd
08-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Just for the sake of argument, say (knock on wood I'm not jinxing us) that DJ looks great at SSLB the first couple of preseason games. Then he gets hurt, out for the year. Would we miss him? After working him in defensive sets throughout camp, expecting to have him on the field, could that have an impact on the unit?

Agreed, they spent a lot of time implementing him into the scheme, turned out to be wasted and took them a while to recover.

Chief Faithful
08-03-2005, 10:05 AM
How the hell could the injury to Kris Wilson have had anything to do with our problems last year? I have a hard time believing the team missed something that they never had.

I have a feeling a lot of fans are going to get a rude awakening with this cat.

Both Morton and Kennison were down with injuries throught the preseason, which is why Bo received so much practice with first team. Then Bo went down. Plus, Wilson took many of Gonzo's snaps because of foot problems. All the Chiefs receivers that started the season had very little time with Green in the preseason to establish timing. It had a big impact early in the season.