PDA

View Full Version : KFFL : Chiefs add OLB ..........

ROYC75
08-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Chiefs | DeRonde Signed
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 13:24:01 -0700

Paul Sheehy, of ProStar Sports Agency, has confirmed to KFFL that the Kansas City Chiefs have signed free agent LB Kevin DeRonde (Cowboys). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What's this, more camp fodder ?

ROYC75
08-02-2005, 04:25 PM
They just released Vance to make room for Johnson.... Now who is gone from camp ?

htismaqe
08-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Kevin DeRonde? Where did he play college ball at? His name sounds VERY familiar.

ROYC75
08-02-2005, 04:33 PM
A LONG WAY FROM THE FARM

Galaxy linebacker Kevin DeRonde may seem like just a farm boy from Iowa who has never seen the world or experienced life outside the soybean field. To be honest, part of that statement may be true. But take a closer look at this farm boy from Iowa, and he’s got more miles traveled, more hands shaken and more lives touched than most “city-folk” ever will.

For DeRonde, that’s how success is measured: not by statistics, but in experiences.

DeRonde grew up on a 600-acre farm that grew corn and soybeans and had an ample supply of livestock and pigs. Pella, Iowa wasn’t the biggest town, but for Deronde, it was a great place to grow up.

“It was great because I didn’t grow up with video games,” said the 6-5, 259-pound linebacker. “I was always doing something outside, whether it be helping my dad or working on machinery. There was always something to be done, and most of the time, it was fun.”

At a young age, he was in the fields, on the machinery and taking care of the animals. He felt so at home there, that he would even come home from Iowa State University right after school let out for the summer, and get back out on the farm.

“After high school, I couldn’t play baseball because I was always baling hay and working out there in the summer,” he said.

But when he signed with the Dallas Cowboys as a rookie free agent in 2002, DeRonde’s life changed drastically. The Cowboys released him at the end of training camp, but he was resigned and allocated to the Barcelona Dragons for the 2003 season.

NFL Europe gives prospective NFL players, coaches and staff a way to gain invaluable experience in a professional environment as well as work towards a common goal: the World Bowl.

Oh yeah, you also get to travel all around Europe while you’re doing it.

That’s a pretty nice little perk that anyone would jump at the chance to have, and DeRonde has relished that chance. He had a good season with the Dragons, and thought that this might have been his time to make it in the league.

Not yet. It would take a stint on the Houston Texans practice squad, then another tour in NFL Europe in 2004 for DeRonde to build a little more experience. His career took him from Barcelona to Berlin, where he won the World Bowl.

He returned to Houston, only to be released again, this time, after training camps had started, making it tough for DeRonde to get on a roster for the season. He could have gone back and worked on the farm, but after going abroad for those past two seasons, it wasn’t an easy solution.

“I went back for a month and worked on the farm,” said the crew cut 26-year-old, “but I planned this trip to travel the western United States, so I just took off.”

He wanted to get out and quench his spiritual thirst while taking on a new challenge. He loaded up his bronze Dodge Diesel Extended Cab pickup and went towards Colorado. Armed with only his truck, a cooler and a Coleman lantern, DeRonde went to all the national parks: Yellowstone, Glacier, Banff, and others.

“I traveled 11,000 miles and only stayed in a hotel for five of those nights I was gone,” he said with a smile on his face and a wild spark in his eye. “I slept in my truck. I had a Coleman lantern and a cooler, so I could just cook myself something to eat in the morning. I’d pull into hotel parking lots and just sleep.

“I could put the seats down in my truck and lay the backs flat. I had a foam pad that I could lay down. I had tinted windows and could put up a sunshade so no one could see.”

As he went from town to town, park to park, he would always make sure to keep up with his lifting, finding a small gym with showers that would let him lift in just about every place he came across.

Sound like perfect accommodations? They certainly were for DeRonde. To be fair, he did treat himself to a cabin when he spent a night in a National Park, but the message is not lost. Through all of this, he was growing in his faith by making connections with the different people and places he encountered in his travels.

“There was a friend that I had in Iowa who sold bulls to people all over the world,” he said when asked about how he planned his travels. “He asked me to give him an idea of where I wanted to go on a map, and he gave me all these numbers of people to call when I was an hour outside of town.”

He stayed on a few ranches, one in Sheraton, Wyoming and one in Ferndale, California. One stop along the way was a 500,000-acre ranch in Nevada, where DeRonde pulled into after a long, hot day of driving in the desert. They had a boy John, who was 15.

“It turned out that he was just starting out playing football in the eighth grade, so I taught him how to long snap, and he became the long snapper. I got to go see one of his games,” he said.

He also helped the father, who owned the ranch, put in a mile of fence in three hours. That is thick steel-post fence, not picket.

“I said, ‘I’ll just pound three and you pound one.’ We got to talking and the next thing we knew, we were finished,” he said with a laugh. “He thought it would take him a few weeks, but we got it finished in one morning.”

He may have done his share of work on the ranches, but it was when he got to sit down and really talk with the families that he felt he had found his passion. He knew then that he was called to spread God’s word to other children, to help them grow in character and spirit as he had don during his travels.

“The ultimate passion that I have and the reason that I play football is to give me a stage to talk to kids. What I do back in the States, wherever I can, is go and do a lot of speaking events, whether it be high schools or conventions,” said DeRonde. “I talk about my testimony, dating, drugs and alcohol, and contentment.

“That is my passion, to talk to kids, to give them hope and have the Lord speak through me. That’s why I’m out here. I love the game, I love to go out there and have that teamwork, but the ultimate goal is to talk to kids and give them hope.”

Now, as the Frankfurt Galaxy’s 2005 campaign begins, DeRonde is the hopeful one, looking to go to a second-straight World Bowl and return to the NFL. He is ready to take on this new challenge and continue his one-man ministry. DeRonde knows he’s got the passion and courage to do it.

Come on, how many miles does a farm boy have to travel to prove that?

htismaqe
08-02-2005, 04:33 PM
No wonder.

He's from Pella (about 10 miles from my home) and played DE at Iowa State.

ROYC75
08-02-2005, 04:34 PM
I have never heard of him, anybody know anything about him ?

htismaqe
08-02-2005, 04:34 PM
A LONG WAY FROM THE FARM

Thanks Roy. While you were posting that, I also found his bio on the Iowa State football website.

KC Dan
08-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Bye Rich.....

ROYC75
08-02-2005, 04:42 PM
Bye Rich.....

I fail to see where this applies ? OLB vs MLB .

Now if they had signed a very good MLB...I could see your point...So Clue me in ........

Brock
08-02-2005, 04:43 PM

Now if they had signed a very good MLB...I could see your point...So Clue me in ........

He baited the hook, and you swallowed it.

Mr. Laz
08-02-2005, 04:45 PM

http://www.aus-hosting.com/~orazzstaffords/History/Rat-Baiting.jpg

KC Dan
08-02-2005, 04:48 PM
:thumb:

ROYC75
08-02-2005, 04:48 PM

I figured that much before hand, I wanted to see if he had a real answer.

ROYC75
08-02-2005, 04:51 PM
Again, I fail to see why this helps the Chiefs ?

I know Fujita didn't practice, he is still recovering from surgery.

But crap, OLB is a log jam, do they need that many people to throw in there ?

carlos3652
08-02-2005, 05:17 PM
Again, I fail to see why this helps the Chiefs ?

I know Fujita didn't practice, he is still recovering from surgery.

But crap, OLB is a log jam, do they need that many people to throw in there ?

Seriously, Rich can play all 3 lb positions all by himself on the field... my other questions is why did we sign DJ?

Ninjaman
08-02-2005, 08:09 PM
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=171&p=8&c=1&nid=1827525

Biography:
2005 - Dallas:
DeRonde originally signed with the Cowboys as a rookie free agent in the spring of 2002 but was released at the end of training camp. He re-signed with the club in 2003 and was allocated to the Barcelona Dragons of NFL Europe for the 2003 season. He started all 10 games, recording a team-leading four sacks, 24 tackles and one forced fumble. He returned to the Cowboys following the NFL Europe season but was released at the end of camp. After signing with the Houston Texans in 2004, DeRonde was again allocated to NFL Europe but was released on June 14 following the NFL Europe season.

http://www.nfleurope.com/players/playerpage/1541

PRO CAREER
• Returns for a third season in NFL Europe after being allocated by the Dallas Cowboys and chosen by the Frankfurt Galaxy in the ninth round of the NFL Allocated Player Draft
• Spent the 2004 campaign as a linebacker for the Berlin Thunder, recording 24 tackles, 1 sack, 1 pass batted down and 1 special teams stop
• Signed with the Tennessee Titans in January, 2004 and was allocated to Europe
• Played defensive end for the Barcelona Dragons in 2003, recording 24 tackles, 1 forced fumble and a team-leading 4 sacks
• Originally signed by the Dallas Cowboys as a rookie free agent on April 26, 2002 but was released at the end of training camp
• Was then re-signed by the Cowboys and allocated to NFL Europe for the 2003 campaign in Barcelona.

COLLEGE
• Finished seventh on the team with 68 tackles as a senior
• Registered 60 stops as a junior including 5 in the Insight.com Bowl and a career-high 11 tackles against the University of Nevada-Las Vegas
• Played in all 11 games as a red-shirt freshman tallying 21 tackles and 2.5 sacks
• Also played in the Independence Bowl during career at Iowa State.

PERSONAL
• Earned a selection in the Iowa Shrine Bowl after notching 110 tackles as a senior
• Named captain of the All-Marion team as a starting linebacker and offensive tackle
• Earned four letters in track and field running in the 200m, 4x100 and two in baseball
• Majored in business management
• Iowa Boys State representative
• Earned honor roll recognition
• Likes to sing Elvis Presley songs and has family living in the Netherlands.

htismaqe
08-02-2005, 08:16 PM
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=171&p=8&c=1&nid=1827525

Biography:
2005 - Dallas:
DeRonde originally signed with the Cowboys as a rookie free agent in the spring of 2002 but was released at the end of training camp. He re-signed with the club in 2003 and was allocated to the Barcelona Dragons of NFL Europe for the 2003 season. He started all 10 games, recording a team-leading four sacks, 24 tackles and one forced fumble. He returned to the Cowboys following the NFL Europe season but was released at the end of camp. After signing with the Houston Texans in 2004, DeRonde was again allocated to NFL Europe but was released on June 14 following the NFL Europe season.

http://www.nfleurope.com/players/playerpage/1541

PRO CAREER
• Returns for a third season in NFL Europe after being allocated by the Dallas Cowboys and chosen by the Frankfurt Galaxy in the ninth round of the NFL Allocated Player Draft
• Spent the 2004 campaign as a linebacker for the Berlin Thunder, recording 24 tackles, 1 sack, 1 pass batted down and 1 special teams stop
• Signed with the Tennessee Titans in January, 2004 and was allocated to Europe
• Played defensive end for the Barcelona Dragons in 2003, recording 24 tackles, 1 forced fumble and a team-leading 4 sacks
• Originally signed by the Dallas Cowboys as a rookie free agent on April 26, 2002 but was released at the end of training camp
• Was then re-signed by the Cowboys and allocated to NFL Europe for the 2003 campaign in Barcelona.

COLLEGE
• Finished seventh on the team with 68 tackles as a senior
• Registered 60 stops as a junior including 5 in the Insight.com Bowl and a career-high 11 tackles against the University of Nevada-Las Vegas
• Played in all 11 games as a red-shirt freshman tallying 21 tackles and 2.5 sacks
• Also played in the Independence Bowl during career at Iowa State.

PERSONAL
• Earned a selection in the Iowa Shrine Bowl after notching 110 tackles as a senior
• Named captain of the All-Marion team as a starting linebacker and offensive tackle
• Earned four letters in track and field running in the 200m, 4x100 and two in baseball
• Majored in business management
• Iowa Boys State representative
• Earned honor roll recognition
• Likes to sing Elvis Presley songs and has family living in the Netherlands.

He's ****ing Dutch. I knew I didn't like him.

ROYC75
08-02-2005, 08:23 PM
He's ****ing Dutch. I knew I didn't like him.

But, but , but he's an Iowaian boy......damn near in your backyard so to speak.........

htismaqe
08-02-2005, 08:25 PM
But, but , but he's an Iowaian boy......damn near in your backyard so to speak.........

I worked in Pella for almost 4 years. I don't like Dutch people. :D