PDA

View Full Version : Cloud's descent

G_Man
09-02-2000, 10:59 AM
From sportstalk (I know, I know):

"The Chiefs have finally made official what has been known for the better part of four days: Tony Richardson will be the club's starter at tailback. In a somewhat shocking turn of events, Frank Moreau may have moved past Mike Cloud for the second tailback slot, with Cloud likely taking over the role of third-down back."<P>

G_Man
09-02-2000, 11:04 AM
OK, here's a better source for you, the KC Star:

"Cunningham said Cloud would be the third-down back.

"But Frank Moreau may have moved ahead of Cloud and into the second-team halfback spot. Cunningham said he wanted to get Moreau, a fourth-round pick from Louisville, about 25 snaps in Sunday's season opener against Indianapolis at Arrowhead Stadium.

"Kimble Anders, a three-time Pro Bowl player at fullback before being switched to halfback last season, is the backup fullback, at least for now."

I guess our new depth chart:

HB: Richardson, Moreau, Cloud, Hall
FB: Bennett, Anders

BTW, in just a FYI, Gray is inactive this week. I guess we'll get to see our young DBs in action pretty soon. <P>

milkman
09-02-2000, 11:07 AM
This isn't about Cloud's ability. This is about Cloud's size. I saw potential last season in his one opportunity, and I saw it again this preseason. I said during the offseason that Cloud would not be given a fair chance by Gun. I think this news proves that I was right.

------------------

Red Eyes
[i]Chinn Up, it ain't nothin' but a thang.</I>

G_Man
09-02-2000, 11:12 AM
Milkman - He's been the starter all preseason, which I would see as a fair chance. I haven't seen him play but he's only managed a 3.7 average, or around there. It doesn't sound to me like he's being shafted, he had the chance. But maybe those that have seen the games saw an exceptional player who got screwed. I can only go by radio and stats which tell me he had the job and did nothing to hold onto it.

G_Man
09-02-2000, 11:13 AM
Talk to you later. Time to go watch some college football.

milkman
09-02-2000, 11:40 AM
He got about 3 carries a game. Not much to go on. When there was a seam he was able to make positive yards. He got dropped behind the line of scrimmage a couple of times on sweeps, when the blocking broke down and he was swarmed over by a wave of tacklers, which contributed to that 3.7 avg.
I definately thought he showed more than Moreau.
I think that T-Rich should be the primary ballcarrier. I just think that it should be from the FB spot, with Cloud at HB. I just don't like Bennett starting. He's just got limited talent.

------------------

Red Eyes
Chinn Up, it ain't nothin' but a thang.

[This message has been edited by milkman (edited 09-02-2000).]

Cannibal
09-02-2000, 11:42 AM
I hate to gloat, but I saw this coming along time ago. I didn't like Cloud as a "player" in the Chiefs offense from the day we drafted him.

Cloud is a bust. He was second round pick. We had many areas of need on this team that could have been taken in the second round in 99 instead of a third down back.

QB, CB, WR & DL.

I bet John Lambert is swinging from a shower rod as we speak.

Luzap
09-02-2000, 11:44 AM
I was ho-hum about Moreau until I saw him turn the corner a couple of times.

He needs to get experience quick!

I still say our best backfield would be Moreau at HB and Richardson at FB.

Luz
still expecting to see that this year...

donkhater
09-02-2000, 01:26 PM
Probably the most disapointing talk coming out of Chiefs camp is the continuation of Bennett as a significant threat in the Chiefs backfield. The mere fact that this guy gets any carries throughout the season is testiment to management's ability to find skill players.

The guy is a backup FB at best. TRich, Anders, and Moreau are all bis guys who can block, run, and catch the swing pass. These three could be used interchangably (sp?) and effectively. Bennett, for what ever reason, continues to muddle the picture of the Chief's backfield much the same way Rison did with the WR's.

Chiefnj
09-02-2000, 03:24 PM
Gun said he wants Moreau to get 25 snaps on Sunday? Is this a joke? 8 drives with Moreau who never ran with the first unit offense all preseason? Does our offense have any direction or clue whatsoever?

Tribal Warfare
09-02-2000, 03:35 PM
Yes the TR project is a prelude to their true objective making Moreau the starter by game 6 or 7. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/cool.gif

TEX
09-02-2000, 04:38 PM
Milkman,
I agree in that Cloud was NOT given a fair chance. He only got 18 touches all preseason. However,I do think that Cloud is more suited to be a 3rd down/change of pace RB. IMHO, he'll be a good one. I'll also admit that on other teams, Cloud indeed might be the #1 HB or at least he would have received seriuos consideration. That's exactly why I thought it was a BIG MISTAKE to draft him 2 yeras ago - he does NOT fit the Chiefs system, at least according to the present philosophy. I'm not saying that I agree with Gun/Raye's big back philosophy - because I don't. Gun should be careful with Moreau. He looked good in preseason but he was going up against defenses comprised of mostly 2nd and 3rd teamers. I really believe that Gun wants to prove a point with Moreau.

Luzap
09-02-2000, 04:59 PM
I know I may be sounding a little like a broken record... but I like Moreau.

If Gun is out to prove something with this kid, I can understand why.

In all my years watching the Chiefs dominant running game, I have never seen a big back that was truly an inside/outside threat ~ this kid is.

Luz
hoping chiefpriority is right...

donkhater
09-02-2000, 10:20 PM
That's what I like about Moreau, Anders and TRich. All three are big enough to get the tough yards up the middle, yet fast and nimble, excellent blockers and recievers. If KC wants a Rbbc, these guys could do damage because you'd never know where they would be going.

With Bennett, Morris, Shehee and Cloud last season, the opposing D could either guess or not worry about what play is going to be called. Shehee up the middle? Who cares? Bennett on a toss sweep? Yeah right.

b-squared
09-02-2000, 10:27 PM
donkhater:

I'm with you. Bennett is a total waste of roster. I can't believe he is starting ahead of Anders. Kimble is a better blocker (which is the primary responsibility in our scheme) and he has the potential to break a long run. YOu could give Bennett a 5 yard headstart on the entire defense and he would pick up FOUR yards. Give me a break.

B^2

b-squared
09-02-2000, 10:27 PM
donkhater:

I'm with you. Bennett is a total waste of roster. I can't believe he is starting ahead of Anders. Kimble is a better blocker (which is the primary responsibility in our scheme) and he has the potential to break a long run. YOu could give Bennett a 5 yard headstart on the entire defense and he would pick up FOUR yards. Give me a break.

B^2

Dave Lane
09-02-2000, 11:34 PM

[This message has been edited by Dave Lane (edited 09-03-2000).]

Dave Lane
09-02-2000, 11:40 PM

[This message has been edited by Dave Lane (edited 09-03-2000).]

Dave Lane
09-02-2000, 11:45 PM
Hmmm I guess that means Moreau is toast as well (4th round pick) kind of like pulling to an inside straight. That would make it a wasted 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and I'm sure we cut some other picks I forgot to list.

Dave Lane
09-02-2000, 11:45 PM
Well I hate to say I said so but Cloud sucks. If you check preseason last year he had 17 carries for 18 yards nice! I could run to the line of scrimmage and fall forward and get more yardage! All these Cloud mongers have been pushing him like the second coming of Marcus Allen and its just not him. I (and the coaching staff) were unimpressed by Clouds performance in the preseason this year, but his carries were so few that who could really judge him a failure. That unfortunately will take some real season failures. By the end of this year he will be ready for the scrapheap of Chiefs running backs... Jesse Haynes, Brian Shay, Greg Hill, Bam Morris, Rashan Shehee and now Mike Cloud. Can't we evaluate RB talent any better than that?? Oh Well maybe Moreau will pan out to be something. You know that was a wasted 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th round pick on the above... SIGH!!!

------------------
Still I dream of a cold frosty day probably too far away when the Chiefs are still playing football in mid January

stevieray
09-02-2000, 11:57 PM
Hey , Dave...Thanks for the last minute pep rally.
Reserve your judgement on Cloud till we see how he does as a kickoff returner...What if that is his niche?

Dave Lane
09-03-2000, 12:57 AM
stevieray,

Sorry to rain on your parade http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif I wish Cloud had worked out and maybe kick returns will work for him. We just need somebody to step up and I think TR is the man to do it (then again I still like Anders). I really don't care if Jason Whitlock is the Chiefs RB, I just want production and to go with whoever can get it.

Chiefnj
09-03-2000, 09:06 AM
The thing that college RB's entering the NFL draft fear the most is being drafted by the KC Chiefs.<P>