PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Sims

Frankie
08-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Quote from Monday morning TC reports:

"At his after practice press conference, Coach Dick Vermeil talked about defensive tackle Ryan Sims. Vermeil stated that it is "time to ascend." Sims has had an incredible off-season, according to the coach, and is 10 pounds heavier in muscle. Vermeil stated that he is one of the strongest guys on the football team. Now that he has more competition at his position, Vermeil stated that Sims knows what he needs to do."

Discuss.

J Diddy
08-02-2005, 05:15 PM
Already been discussed.

kcjayhawks5
08-02-2005, 05:15 PM
this is good news. i like that the old players are being pushed to get better because they know that their ass is on the line.

Rain Man
08-02-2005, 05:16 PM
Someone needs to step up at that position. Otherwise, we're going to have lots of 2-hour games where opponents run up the middle on every play.

RedThat
08-02-2005, 05:31 PM
This has to be his year. Make or break. 3 years of playing time at the DT position is plenty of time. If he can't prove that he has the potential to be good after 3 years, well, then...............................

BIG_DADDY
08-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Already been discussed.
ROFL

PunkinDrublic
08-02-2005, 05:35 PM
This has to be his year. Make or break. 3 years of playing time at the DT position is plenty of time. If he can't prove that he has the potential to be good after 3 years, well, then...............................

I think he realizes this too. It's possible that he might have a breakout year in order to justify a roster spot and a lucrative contract and then revert to being lazy again ala Dan Williams.

KC Kings
08-02-2005, 05:58 PM
Actually isn't this the year he plays just good enough to keep his place on the roster, then next year after 16 of our offensive players retire and there is no chance for a SB Sims will blow up, stop everything that comes at him in the middle and get 13 sacks to ensure he gets a fat new contract, then he will show up to camp the next year 20 pounds overwait.

Valiant
08-02-2005, 06:08 PM
this is good news. i like that the old players are being pushed to get better because they know that their ass is on the line.

Yeah, right around contract time as usual...

HemiEd
08-02-2005, 06:43 PM
I guess I am in the minority on Sims. He came in late due to a long contract negotiation, was immediately hurt and missed his first year. So how many years has he really played for the Chiefs? Granted, he has not been living up to the number six pick, but he might. I sure would not use his name in the same vain as Dan Williams.

Chief Faithful
08-02-2005, 06:47 PM
He does look better than previous years. The first two years he looked soft and fat. This year he looks like he hit the weights.

bringbackmarty
08-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Actually isn't this the year he plays just good enough to keep his place on the roster, then next year after 16 of our offensive players retire and there is no chance for a SB Sims will blow up, stop everything that comes at him in the middle and get 13 sacks to ensure he gets a fat new contract, then he will show up to camp the next year 20 pounds overwait.
it seems like defensive tackles are especially prone to the kind of careers you just described.
haynesworth, mcglockton, dalton, corey simon. I am sure there are more, and better examples.

jspchief
08-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Suprise, suprise. Ryan Sims looks to show up in a contract year.

If that fat waste of skin actually plays good this year, I'll be very tempted to wish ill on him.

keg in kc
08-02-2005, 07:39 PM
I don't think this is a contract year. The rookie contract he signed in 2002 was a 7-year deal that voids to 6. That makes 2007 his contract year.

And even if he's been restructured (his NFLPA.org page shows salary through 2009), that would mean they're letting him void 3-4 years. That doesn't seem feasible.

htismaqe
08-02-2005, 08:14 PM
We discussed this the other day.

Although his base salary basically doubles next year over this, there's no evidence to suggest this is his contract year. He's signed through 2009.

The Bad Guy
08-02-2005, 08:19 PM
I guess I am in the minority on Sims. He came in late due to a long contract negotiation, was immediately hurt and missed his first year. So how many years has he really played for the Chiefs? Granted, he has not been living up to the number six pick, but he might. I sure would not use his name in the same vain as Dan Williams.

So 2 years of shitty play from a 6th pick in a draft is OK?

Dan Williams posted double digit sacks his first year as a Chief. What has Ryan Sims ever done to come close to that?

He has failed miserably as a 6th pick. He hasn't come close to living up to anything.

This is it for Sims. If he sucks this year, he's going to end up like Wendall Bryant.

htismaqe
08-02-2005, 08:27 PM
So 2 years of shitty play from a 6th pick in a draft is OK?

Dan Williams posted double digit sacks his first year as a Chief. What has Ryan Sims ever done to come close to that?

He has failed miserably as a 6th pick. He hasn't come close to living up to anything.

This is it for Sims. If he sucks this year, he's going to end up like Wendall Bryant.

Unfortunately, everything you say is true. And it makes me sad. My favorite position in a 4-3 defense is tackle. I truly thought we might finally have a real stud at the position. :sulk:

mlyonsd
08-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Note to Sims....

This is it. Put up or get out. We're still rooting for you and hoping for big things in your future.

If it doesn't happen this year, well, time to take my fan money and get the f out.

Dayze
08-02-2005, 09:00 PM
no way has he ever been/or lived up to what is generally expected by a 6th overall pick.

all I know is in seemingly each game I watch, he gets 'handled' rather easily. I don't know why that is, to be honest. Scheme? No idea.

but to look at the stats he posted last year ( I think like 16 tackles or thereabouts) was just sad. 6th overall pick averaging 1 tackle per game? Wow.....unreal.

Compared to nearly every other starter at that position in the NFL, he leaves a LOT to be desired. And he sure as heck didn't 'occupy' lineman so our LBs could run free, as our LB's were consistently blown up by opposing lineman.

Luzap
08-02-2005, 09:10 PM

I have a friend that played quite a bit of Defensive Tackle in college. He has an interesting take on Sims...

He tells me that Sims plays great in the first part of the season until he gets hurt. His problem is not that he can't play, but rather that he keeps getting injured.

He also says that this will probably change. All of his injuries have been uncommon for DTs (elbow, hamstring). He thinks Sims WILL break out when his bad luck ends.

Luz
here's hoping...

The Bad Guy
08-02-2005, 09:22 PM
I have a friend that played quite a bit of Defensive Tackle in college. He has an interesting take on Sims...

He tells me that Sims plays great in the first part of the season until he gets hurt. His problem is not that he can't play, but rather that he keeps getting injured.

He also says that this will probably change. All of his injuries have been uncommon for DTs (elbow, hamstring). He thinks Sims WILL break out when his bad luck ends.

Luz
here's hoping...
How does your friend know when he gets hurt?

And, he was manhandled from the first preseason game until the last game of the season so that blows up that theory.

Wishful thinking is all well and good, but Sims is nothing more than a guy who plays when he's playing for something. He was a projected 3rd/4th rounder at best after his junior year. What does he do when he has a chance to cash in? Turn it on his senior year.

I have no doubts, when a contract is one the line, he will turn into a monster, but he is about as lazy as they come.

Last year for instance, I saw him more than once have basically a sack full of McDonalds on his way into the dining hall at River Falls.

I have zero hope for Sims. His awful play for 2 years now with 2 different coordinators with conflicting styles has left a sour taste in my mouth.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-02-2005, 09:26 PM

And, he was manhandled from the first preseason game until the last game of the season so that blows up that theory.

Wishful thinking is all well and good, but Sims is nothing more than a guy who plays when he's playing for something. He was a projected 3rd/4th rounder at best after his junior year. What does he do when he has a chance to cash in? Turn it on his senior year.

I have no doubts, when a contract is one the line, he will turn into a monster, but he is about as lazy as they come.

Last year for instance, I saw him more than once have basically a sack full of McDonalds on his way into the dining hall at River Falls.

I have zero hope for Sims. His awful play for 2 years now with 2 different coordinators with conflicting styles has left a sour taste in my mouth.

I kind of felt like the Chiefs were getting into trouble by drafting a one year college standout. Didn't Akili Smith ring any bells for anyone?

Frankie
08-02-2005, 09:40 PM
ditto

keg in kc
08-02-2005, 09:54 PM
His awful play for 2 years now with 2 different coordinators with conflicting styles has left a sour taste in my mouth.That's actually part of the reason I still hold out hope for him this year. Ditto for Mitchell.

We'll see. I'm really not expecting anything at this point, either success or failure. I don't know what he's going to do.

tiptap
08-02-2005, 10:35 PM

___LEFT END ____LEFT TACKLE ____MID/GUARD ____RIGHT TACKLE ___RIGHT END

7 KC ____ 4.51 20 ____ 4.41 18 ____3.83 6 ____4.28 20 ____2.86 6

This is some statistics truncating long runs in an attempt to guage the play of the defense. The yardage and then rank is shown for the 5 directions the NFL records runs. As you can see the Mid Guard region and the right side offensive (defensive left) does very well defensing the run. The problems are to the right and left tackle (offensive) so at the ends and to the outside to the offensive left formation. I don't know if I would say Sims is grand but his play shows up in the middle were the defensive line was good. It was the LB corp that failed last year (and we been playing catch up at LB since Bush the lb first year with Vermiel). The infusion of speed and talent should see people able to play their position and not have to think they have to cover other's deficiencies.