Ron Dayne and Courtney Brown.

HA HA HA HA HA

What a great day.

RedDread
08-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Link or televised?

Mile High Mania
08-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Unless this is a new link... there was a post about an "all time" bust link a while back. It was published just as those 2 were signed by Denver.

Not sure that Denver should feel all that bad... Giants and Browns were the guys that wasted top picks and big cash on the players. Denver got them for a half pack of smokes and pocket change.

TEX
08-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Denver got them cheap, cheap, cheap. So, if it works out it's a plus. It's really low risk and hight reward.

Dayne doesn't have to be the "man" now and could be a situational type of player. He could possibly be successful around the goal line where the Donx have their problems.

As for all the ex-Brown underachievers, it's the same philosophy. Not all of them have to work out, it will be a bonus if they do.

Mile High Mania
08-02-2005, 09:22 PM
Denver got them cheap, cheap, cheap. So, if it works out it's a plus. It's really low risk and hight reward.

Dayne doesn't have to be the "man" now and could be a situational type of player. He could possibly be successful around the goal line where the Donx have their problems.

As for all the ex-Brown underachievers, it's the same philosophy. Not all of them have to work out, it will be a bonus if they do.

Exactly... and I think Denver's issues were more "red zone" in general, not just the goal line.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Exactly... and I think Denver's issues were more "red zone" in general, not just the goal line.

I know it's early, but who do you have starting on your front four if the season were to begin tomorrow? Who have they been switching in and out there in Denver?

Mile High Mania
08-02-2005, 09:36 PM
I know it's early, but who do you have starting on your front four if the season were to begin tomorrow? Who have they been switching in and out there in Denver?

I don't even think they have a clue at this point... there's rumors that Myers is actually impressing a great deal and that Warren is doing really well.

Pryce is a given starter and I would imagine that Warren is as well, with the returning guys from last year, Brown and Myers playing rotational roles for the most part. Brown could start a lot of games, but right now it's so up in the air.

Garcia Bronco
08-02-2005, 09:53 PM
Pryce, Meyers, Warren, Brown are the 4 on first team in camp I believe....but we rotate all day.

beer bacon
08-02-2005, 09:57 PM

I would just like to point out a common mistake you have made about the enigmatic Dayne. That mistake being in your belief that Dayne might be able to specialize running the ball in goal line (short yardage) situations. Despite his size, Dayne has been horrible during his NFL career in short yardage/goal line situations. The only times he really has shown any spark is while running in the open field.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Pryce, Meyers, Warren, Brown are the 4 on first team in camp I believe....but we rotate all day.

If they don't wake up and realize their potential, it could be a long day for them when we face them in week three. The only one that is scary is Pryce, and he's coming off back problems.

Garcia Bronco
08-02-2005, 10:18 PM
If they don't wake up and realize their potential, it could be a long day for them when we face them in week three. The only one that is scary is Pryce, and he's coming off back problems.

As good as the KC line is...I really don't think it matters....Sheilds and the rest have to have a bad day.

Uatu
08-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Denver got them for a half pack of smokes and pocket change.

You got screwed on the smokes.

Ari Chi3fs
08-02-2005, 11:16 PM
i like that a Donkey fan also started a thread about how Clarett is doggin it, today... good times.

Donkos 7-9 in 2005

BigRock
08-02-2005, 11:40 PM
Unless this is a new link... there was a post about an "all time" bust link a while back. It was published just as those 2 were signed by Denver.

It was on ESPN Classic tonight, on one of the new top 25 countdown lists. This week was NFL busts.

arrowhead20
08-03-2005, 01:52 AM
Hey Bosewolf, that Leroy Jenkins Video is so friggin hilarious, my brother has actually played with him, and was crackin up the whole time he was performing his angering antics.

JOhn
08-03-2005, 07:17 AM
ROFL, so you guys sign players and expect nothing out of them, right? :hmmm:

That has to be the most Homerish statement I have yet to see. ROFL

Mile High Mania
08-03-2005, 07:21 AM

You know that TEX is a KC fan, right?

And, regarding your statement... it's not exactly in line with anything that I've said. Yes, Denver needs DLine help. Signing 4 former Browns is odd, but what Denver gave up (trade, $) is minimal. If 2 of the 4 pan out, then it's a great deal ... anything else is a bonus.

If they all spare out, then it was a waste of time.

Skip Towne
08-03-2005, 07:26 AM
You know that TEX is a KC fan, right?

And, regarding your statement... it's not exactly in line with anything that I've said. Yes, Denver needs DLine help. Signing 4 former Browns is odd, but what Denver gave up (trade, $) is minimal. If 2 of the 4 pan out, then it's a great deal ... anything else is a bonus.

If they all spare out, then it was a waste of time.
You guys got Steadman and Schaff doing your personnel stuff?

nmt1
08-03-2005, 07:27 AM
Every team has their share of busts. For every Tommy Maddox and Marcus Nash there's a Todd Blackledge and a Trezelle Jenkins.

Mile High Mania
08-03-2005, 07:30 AM
You guys got Steadman and Schaff doing your personnel stuff?

No, it's Bronco Billy... the special needs kid. You didn't see the video?

Skip Towne
08-03-2005, 07:40 AM
No, it's Bronco Billy... the special needs kid. You didn't see the video?
"This team isn't very good but it is really cheap".

TEX
08-03-2005, 10:48 AM
I would just like to point out a common mistake you have made about the enigmatic Dayne. That mistake being in your belief that Dayne might be able to specialize running the ball in goal line (short yardage) situations. Despite his size, Dayne has been horrible during his NFL career in short yardage/goal line situations. The only times he really has shown any spark is while running in the open field.

True. But then he's never had Denver's O-line chopping, I mean blocking, for him...

TEX
08-03-2005, 10:52 AM

Me a "Bronco Homer?" ROFL You really missed the boat with that assumption as I absolutely HATE anything Denver. I'm just calling it as I see it , they were all safe low risk signings.

vailpass
08-03-2005, 10:54 AM

Here is the answer to your question Vanilla. IMO the Denver D-line will be more thanup to the task this season barring injury.

Time for Broncos to put it all on lineBy Bill Williamson
Denver Post Staff Writer

The battle on the defensive line - the famously reconstructed front that will look nothing like the group that took the field last year - has been and will be the fiercest competition of Broncos training camp.

Every day, a long list of veterans has duked it out, jockeying for their roster lives. When the Broncos' final 53-man roster is determined, the line, which was a weak spot on an otherwise strong defense last year, should be stronger.

"The only question is who'll be on it and who'll be playing," said Andre Patterson, a new coach to the Broncos line, who joins incumbent Jacob Burney. "It's going to be a wild camp."

For the first four days of camp, the starting lineup on the line has consisted of a four-time Pro Bowl player attempting to return from a serious back injury and three former Cleveland Browns trying to resurrect their careers out west. Trevor Pryce, a nine-year Broncos veteran, has lined up with Courtney Brown at the ends, with Gerard Warren and Michael Myers in the middle. Myers has been somewhat of a surprise, supplanting Mario Fatafehi and Monsanto Pope from the starting mix.

If all four continue to play well, this could be the lineup that faces Miami on Sept. 11 in the season opener.

However, in a system that relies on heavy rotation along the defensive line, the starting four is only the beginning of the story. Ebenezer Ekuban has been working with the first-team nickel defense.

Others in the camp rotation include end Marco Coleman, whose strong play was noted during Pryce's absence last season; end John Engelberger (acquired from San Francisco last month for cornerback Willie Middlebrooks); end Anton Palepoi; end Raylee Johnson; and tackles Luther Elliss and Dorsett Davis.

Of the 17 defensive linemen in camp, 12 have a legitimate chance at making the roster. Teams usually keep nine defensive linemen, but the Broncos may have to keep 10, perhaps 11.

Incumbents such as Johnson, Elliss and Palepoi will need to have strong camps to keep their jobs. Davis, a promising player whose career has been thwarted by injuries, could be late- camp trade bait.
Whatever happens, Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said the competition is good for the team.

"We like what we see, but guys are really going to have to fight for it all the way through the preseason," Shanahan said. "They're already fighting. We think we're going to be pretty good there."

With Pryce out for almost all of last season, the team had little pass-rush punch, finishing with only 38 sacks. Reggie Hayward, who led the team with 10 1/2 sacks, left through free agency to sign a $10 million signing bonus with Jacksonville. The Broncos decided that was too rich, but made upgrading the position a major priority during the offseason. The team hopes it found answers with the free-agent signing of Brown and the trades for Myers, Ekuban and Engelberger.

Questions linger. Brown and Ekuban are coming off injuries, and Warren was questioned about his passion for the game while in Cleveland.

Brown and Ekuban have experienced good health, and Warren has been working diligently in camp.

"We've got a chance," defensive coordinator Larry Coyer said. "In the end, we should have a pretty good line, but all of these guys have to earn it."

Staff writer Bill Williamsoncan be reached at 303-820-5450 or bwilliamson@denverpost.com

Saul Good
08-03-2005, 11:37 AM

I've never understood why people want to put fat assed running backs in for goal line situations. You have to open a big fat hole for a big fat RB to get through. In a goal line situation you want guys who can get low and power through a crack or get to the corner. When I think of great goal line backs, I think of Priest Holmes, Terrell Davis, Emmitt Smith, Marcus Allen, Marshall Faulk, etc. None of them are the Mack Truck type of back.

Mile High Mania
08-03-2005, 11:45 AM
I've never understood why people want to put fat assed running backs in for goal line situations. You have to open a big fat hole for a big fat RB to get through. In a goal line situation you want guys who can get low and power through a crack or get to the corner. When I think of great goal line backs, I think of Priest Holmes, Terrell Davis, Emmitt Smith, Marcus Allen, Marshall Faulk, etc. None of them are the Mack Truck type of back.

Ron Dayne is nothing more than depth fodder and a training camp body.

Barring injury, Bell and Anderson will fit the bill. Either should do well as the 'goal line' RB... I firmly believe Bell has 1,400+ yards and 13 TDs in him this season. Anderson could be a 450 yard 5 TD option.

Bowser
08-03-2005, 11:46 AM

Barring injury, Bell and Anderson will fit the bill. Either should do well as the 'goal line' RB... I firmly believe Bell has 1,400+ yards and 13 TDs in him this season. Anderson could be a 450 yard 5 TD option.

Hmm, that's a bold prediction of Bell. I'll have to see him string a few 120 yard rushing games together before I buy into that.

Saul Good
08-03-2005, 11:56 AM

Bell's the only back on your roster that scares me at all. If he can hold onto the ball, he could be a good one.

vailpass
08-03-2005, 12:15 PM
Bell's the only back on your roster that scares me at all. If he can hold onto the ball, he could be a good one.

Bell is the break-away back for sure but Mike Anderson tore holes in the KC line when he was healthy. It will be interesting to see if the Chiefs D-line has improved enough this year to prevent power backs from blasting through them into the LB/Secondary.

Mile High Mania
08-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Hmm, that's a bold prediction of Bell. I'll have to see him string a few 120 yard rushing games together before I buy into that.

Well, I think Bell is better than Droughns and look what RD did in 3/4 of a season... if Bell stays healthy and starts 16 games, he could rock.

Saul Good
08-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Bell is the break-away back for sure but Mike Anderson tore holes in the KC line when he was healthy. It will be interesting to see if the Chiefs D-line has improved enough this year to prevent power backs from blasting through them into the LB/Secondary.

Tearing holes in the KC D-line is hardly proof of ability. Didn't Carolina's 3rd or 4th string RB put up 175 yards against us last year?

Mile High Mania
08-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Tearing holes in the KC D-line is hardly proof of ability. Didn't Carolina's 3rd or 4th string RB put up 175 yards against us last year?

Actually, it was Deshaun Foster... not the 3rd or 4th string spares.