PDA

View Full Version : FredEx to skip surgery. Back in camp tomorrow.

Coogs
08-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Don't have a link. Just watched Fox4 news at 9, and Jason Lamb said he just received a phone call from Al Wallace with the report.

the Talking Can
08-02-2005, 10:08 PM
To fulfill his life long dream of being a water boy?

Coogs
08-02-2005, 10:11 PM
To fulfill his life long fream of being a water boy?

Man, does every single bit of news from camp have to be met with negative overtones?

the Talking Can
08-02-2005, 10:12 PM
Man, does every single bit of news from camp have to be met with negative overtones?

sorry, I meant that in an undertone way...

John_Wayne
08-02-2005, 10:14 PM
Don't have a link. Just watched Fox4 news at 9, and Jason Lamb said he just received a phone call from Al Wallace with the report. So what does that mean? Is he OK? Is he hurt, but going to play through it? What are the pros and cons? I don't get it. What's up with this?

nychief
08-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Freddie Mitchell is pulling a T.O., 'cept it is for training camp and not the super bowl. ***

*** for coogs - he knows we are never making the super bowl - he has to pick his battles.

keg in kc
08-02-2005, 10:16 PM
This is exactly what I thought the day that Vermeil was getting bent out of shape about Mitchell getting the extra opinion. People (by 'people' I mean radio personalities) were talking about how they thought he was trying to skip out on practice, but I thought there was a pretty good chance he was trying to avoid missing three weeks. He knows his job's on the line...

Hope he's not endangering himself.

If this is, in fact, happening...

Wile_E_Coyote
08-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Firstdown Freddie might have a whole new meaning

Logical
08-02-2005, 10:33 PM
Man, does every single bit of news from camp have to be met with negative overtones?LOL do you really see anything positive in this? A lifetime underachiever who is so desperate to try and catch on that he will forego his long term health in the desperate hope he can make the team an earn another paycheck?

keg in kc
08-02-2005, 10:38 PM
he will forego his long term health in the desperate hope he can make the team an(d) earn another paycheck?I think you've just described every single player in the NFL. In terms of forgoing their long term health for a paycheck.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-02-2005, 10:41 PM
Channel 5 sports reported that he had it scoped in KC and will be back in River Falls on Wednesday.

Iowanian
08-02-2005, 10:41 PM
If its a miniscus...I'm no doctor, but I'll bet he COULD play with it, once the initial swelling and pain goes down a little.

It could "click", "catch" and "crunch"....but he could probably function.

He knows if he missed 3 weeks, he's gone

HemiEd
08-02-2005, 10:47 PM
I do see something positive in this. If he in fact is able to play, he has a chance to learn the system. If he is not, he would not have learned it anyway. Now or never, here is his chance to prove the faith that was put in him was deserved.

HemiEd
08-02-2005, 10:52 PM
Channel 5 sports reported that he had it scoped in KC and will be back in River Falls on Wednesday.

I bet DV will be pissed about this . :rolleyes:

the Talking Can
08-02-2005, 10:53 PM
I hope the guy recovers fast...but I'm rooting for Parker and Bo for our #2 and #3 WRs.

OmahaChief
08-02-2005, 11:46 PM
Why would a guy that is fighting for a roster spot try to skip practice? Makes no sense to me. I tend to beleive he was hurt and wanted a legit second opinion and I have no problem with that.

Donger
08-02-2005, 11:49 PM
Okay. Stupid question, but FredEx = Freddie Mitchell? If so, why?

Logical
08-02-2005, 11:53 PM
I think you've just described every single player in the NFL. In terms of forgoing their long term health for a paycheck.To a certain extent of course you are correct, not the same thing as trying to play a season with a torn up knee. Get the wrong type of hit he will be needing knee replacement surgery.

Pants
08-02-2005, 11:56 PM

"He delivers."

Donger
08-02-2005, 11:58 PM
"He delivers."

Okay. So do a lot of other people. If his last name were "...ex..." something, I suppose it would make more sense to me.

Rausch
08-02-2005, 11:58 PM
"He delivers."

But seriously, why?...

KCJake
08-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Hmmmm....
This is strange. Maybe he is going to try and play through it? Maybe it's not that bad???

Herzig
08-03-2005, 12:20 AM

I believe he dubbed himself that term and "First down Freddie"

Pants
08-03-2005, 12:21 AM
He's a mother****in soldier.

Dunit35
08-03-2005, 12:28 AM
i hope he comes back..kinda hope he does good too.

TRR
08-03-2005, 12:36 AM
Vermeil was very impressed with Freddie the first 3 practices. The UWRF site made it sound like he is making quite a few plays in practice. Mitchell has always had very good hands. Something that would be a welcome addition to our WR corp.

Hopefully he can practice once a day for awhile, and let the knee come back around. I'm rooting for Freddie.

Tribal Warfare
08-03-2005, 12:41 AM
can you say cortisone shots

Logical
08-03-2005, 12:57 AM
can you say cortisone shotsOf that much you can be sure, drained knee will be something we will also constantly be hearing.

TRR
08-03-2005, 12:59 AM
If he isn't having surgery, then there must not have been anything torn in the knee, correct? Just a sprain, or stretched legiments?

Found this on ESPN...

"Vermeil said wide receiver Freddie Mitchell will not undergo arthroscopic surgery on his knee as previously thought.

Vermeil said Mitchell may not return to practice for a couple of days."

TRR
08-03-2005, 01:05 AM
Found this on KFFL.com

Chiefs | Agent Says No Surgery for Mitchell
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 20:35:03 -0700

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports agent Matt Couloute said Tuesday, August 2, Kansas City Chiefs WR Freddie Mitchell (knee) was advised not to have arthroscopic knee surgery when he was in Atlanta for a second medical opinion. Couloute also said Mitchell was told that if his injured right knee mended as anticipated, he could return to practice in seven to 10 days. Mitchell has a slight tear in his right meniscus. Couloute said Mitchell's desire to get the second opinion and decision to decline to have the surgery were aimed at a speedy return.

Logical
08-03-2005, 01:06 AM
If he isn't having surgery, then there must not have been anything torn in the knee, correct? Just a sprain, or stretched legiments?

Found this on ESPN...

"Vermeil said wide receiver Freddie Mitchell will not undergo arthroscopic surgery on his knee as previously thought.

Vermeil said Mitchell may not return to practice for a couple of days."Not necessarily, logic would say yes, but I doubt Freddie is being logical watching his career slip away.

Taco John
08-03-2005, 01:06 AM
I've never had it done or seen it, but draining a knee sounds liks some seriously nasty stuff... It might not actually be all that bad... It just sounds that way...

TRR
08-03-2005, 01:12 AM
Not necessarily, logic would say yes, but I doubt Freddie is being logical watching his career slip away.

As KFFL reported, Mitchell DOES have a slight tear in his meniscus. Doing a little research, most slight meniscus tears do not require surgery, just some TLC. Slight tears in the meniscus usually cannot be fixed through surgery, and simply need time to heal.

Hopefully it works out for him. As long as he doesn't come back too soon, I think he'll be alright.

C-Mac
08-03-2005, 01:55 AM
I think you've just described every single player in the NFL. In terms of forgoing their long term health for a paycheck.

Bingo!

DaWolf
08-03-2005, 03:39 AM
Here's the article if it hasn't been posted already:

Posted on Wed, Aug. 03, 2005

Freddie Mitchell decides against having knee surgery

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

RIVER FALLS, Wis. — Chiefs wide receiver Freddie Mitchell won’t be having arthroscopic knee surgery, his agent said Tuesday.

The agent, Matt Couloute, said Mitchell was advised not to have the surgery when he was in Atlanta on Tuesday for a second medical opinion. Couloute also said Mitchell was told that if his injured right knee mended as anticipated, he could return to practice in seven to 10 days.

Mitchell has a slight tear in his right meniscus.

The Chiefs had indicated Mitchell would return about 2 1/2 weeks after having the surgery, which was originally scheduled for Monday. Couloute said doctors have told Mitchell his return would have been closer to four weeks. Couloute said Mitchell would return to River Falls today.

Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil was annoyed Monday upon learning that Mitchell would seek a second opinion rather than have the surgery that day, saying Mitchell was merely delaying his return to practice.

Couloute said Mitchell’s desire to get the second opinion and decision to decline to have surgery were aimed at a speedy return.

“All he wants is to get back on the field,” Couloute said.

“The doctors gave him the option of getting back on the field sooner than he was initially told and he took it.”

Vermeil was pleased to hear the news.

“If he can play without getting the cartilage worked on and he doesn’t miss three weeks or two weeks, it’s a plus,” Vermeil said. “I’m happy for him.”

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/12288124.htm

Ultra Peanut
08-03-2005, 04:19 AM
HE'S A GAMER!

ERR, PRACTICER!

jspchief
08-03-2005, 06:09 AM
Personally, I'd prefer that he gets it fixed up right, even if it means missing a large protion of the pre-season. I guess the doctors know what their talking bout though. Hopefully it heals well on it's own.

DaWolf
08-03-2005, 06:16 AM
Personally, I'd prefer that he gets it fixed up right, even if it means missing a large protion of the pre-season. I guess the doctors know what their talking bout though. Hopefully it heals well on it's own.
Yeah, I hope the dude in Atlanta is a good doctor. I'm sure he is because these guys don't go to just any joe schmo to get second opinions. If he's right though it just shows the value of getting a second opinion. Hope it works out because I'm rooting for Mitchell to turn it around here and live up to his first round billing...

penguinz
08-03-2005, 06:54 AM
Personally, I'd prefer that he gets it fixed up right, even if it means missing a large protion of the pre-season. I guess the doctors know what their talking bout though. Hopefully it heals well on it's own.Not a whole lot more damage than can be caused. It is possible it might tear more. No big deal though. It is easily dealt with by icing and anti-inflammatories until he is ready to have it repaired.

Baby Lee
08-03-2005, 07:07 AM
LOL do you really see anything positive in this? A lifetime underachiever who is so desperate to try and catch on that he will forego his long term health in the desperate hope he can make the team an earn another paycheck?
ROFL - Ahh, yes. Patented Logical disdain. Can a Pro-Bowl for Freddy be far behind?

Mecca
08-03-2005, 07:14 AM
I've never had it done or seen it, but draining a knee sounds liks some seriously nasty stuff... It might not actually be all that bad... It just sounds that way...

I've had it done....... it's not pleasant that's for sure. They take this needle that looks like it was made for a horse and shove it into your knee. Then basically suck the fluid out with it. And before anyone asks yes, it's quite painful.

tomahawk kid
08-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Sounds like the Sultan of Slot is afraid he's not going to make the club after a three week absence.

patteeu
08-03-2005, 08:39 AM
ROFL - Ahh, yes. Patented Logical disdain. Can a Pro-Bowl for Freddy be far behind?

LOL

Sam
08-03-2005, 10:09 AM
If its a miniscus...I'm no doctor, but I'll bet he COULD play with it, once the initial swelling and pain goes down a little.

It could "click", "catch" and "crunch"....but he could probably function.

He knows if he missed 3 weeks, he's gone

I agree, having had this type surgery myself, I could have done without it. It would have been painful, at times more so than others, but sometimes it didn't bother me at all. The downfall is that it would catch and lock up sometimes. He could be running down the field and all of sudden it would catch and he'd fall on his face. But, he may be able to practice and have a chance of making the squad.

bkkcoh
08-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Sounds like the Sultan of Slot is afraid he's not going to make the club after a three week absence.

It is amazing how that may influence one's mindset, isn't it??? :hmmm:

TEX
08-03-2005, 10:43 AM

Exactly. All that's going to happen is he'll make the team and have the surgery during the season.

If it were me, I'd have the surgery now and damn the consequences.