PDA

View Full Version : Apple gets with the times, unveils their first multi-button mouse

Count Alex's Losses
08-02-2005, 10:56 PM
Finally. And yes, it's gay:

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/3215/indextop200508020pi.jpg

|Zach|
08-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Thats kind of cool I think.

Rausch
08-02-2005, 11:10 PM
Because only an American teen is lazy enough to bitch about having to click twice...

Miles
08-02-2005, 11:11 PM
Finally they found a solution to the horrible look of a mouse with more than one button. I wouldnt want something like a mouse to be functional or anything.

Saulbadguy
08-02-2005, 11:13 PM
Because only an American teen is lazy enough to bitch about having to click twice...
I wonder if every single invention/innovation came with stupidity like this.

"Oooh..he has a CELL phone! He must think he is really important!"

Apple is way overdue on this one. I always hooked a 2 button mouse to the MAC for the cntrl+click function.

Rausch
08-02-2005, 11:15 PM
I wonder if every single invention/innovation came with stupidity like this.

"Oooh..he has a CELL phone! He must think he is really important!"

No, you're right. It really IS that ****ing important that you discuss what happened at the bar last night during the film I just paid $7.50 to watch.

**** no you aren't that damned important...

Pants
08-03-2005, 12:07 AM

Wait, how does it work? You double click if you want to "right click"? What happens when you want to double click? That's not a very good design, IMO.

Count Alex's Losses
08-03-2005, 12:16 AM
Wait, how does it work? You double click if you want to "right click"? What happens when you want to double click? That's not a very good design, IMO.

TECHNOPWNED!

Rausch
08-03-2005, 12:18 AM

No, you just click once and say "Mekka Lekka Hi-Mekka Hiney Ho."

ENDelt260
08-03-2005, 12:19 AM
No, you just click once and say "Mekka Lekka Hi-Mekka Hiney Ho."
Ha. I think metro might be too young to recognize that.

Pants
08-03-2005, 12:21 AM
Ha. I think metro might be too young to recognize that.

I've also never used a Mac, I don't think, so I don't really know how it works.

Rausch
08-03-2005, 12:22 AM
I've also never used a Mac, I don't think, so I don't really know how it works.

Once you go Mac you never go back...
:)

Count Alex's Losses
08-03-2005, 12:23 AM

:shake:

ENDelt260
08-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Funny. Used 'em all through HS and haven't touched one since.

Course, I guess that's gonna happen when you work with computers for a living.

|Zach|
08-03-2005, 12:26 AM
Ha. I think metro might be too young to recognize that.Peewee's Play House!

Demonpenz
08-03-2005, 12:46 AM
here comes the foil ball and a black larry fishbourne!

DenverChief
08-03-2005, 01:12 AM

The apples in a box have got nuttin on the new generation macs

gblowfish
08-03-2005, 10:22 AM
:) I own 4 Macs and use a new Imac G5 at work. It's tits, man.

I've used a two button mouse on my macs for a long time. Logotech's made one with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel. Works great, and interfaces fine with all the Microsoft Office BS.

htismaqe
08-03-2005, 10:29 AM

That is unless you're in graphic design, the music or film industry, etc.

Lot's of workplaces use Macs for graphics/multimedia...

Fire Me Boy!
08-03-2005, 10:30 AM
I have used PCs at home all my life. Use a Mac at work and it's fine... even grabbed a decent Mac at the University for $50 to take home. So I took it home, used it for about a week, then sold it to my coworker for $350.

Fire Me Boy!
08-03-2005, 10:34 AM

Lot's of workplaces use Macs for graphics/multimedia...
I beg to disagree. Used to, you're absolutely right. Nowadays, it's six of one, half a dozen of the other comparing mac to PC. I've been to editing suites that utilized both mac and PC. My editing suite at home is fitted with a PC... the TV station I'm at uses PCs. When I was at the University, we had both available to us. As a graphic artist, I use a Mac... but I know dozens of others that use a PC. And if I had a choice I'd go PC.

Like I said, there's still a stigma from a decade ago that people believe that Macs are better at graphics. And 10 years ago, they were. Nowadays, it's not that PCs are better than Macs, it's that they're the same. It's all personal preference.

htismaqe
08-03-2005, 10:38 AM
I beg to disagree. Used to, you're absolutely right. Nowadays, it's six of one, half a dozen of the other comparing mac to PC. I've been to editing suites that utilized both mac and PC. My editing suite at home is fitted with a PC... the TV station I'm at uses PCs. When I was at the University, we had both available to us. As a graphic artist, I use a Mac... but I know dozens of others that use a PC. And if I had a choice I'd go PC.

Like I said, there's still a stigma from a decade ago that people believe that Macs are better at graphics. And 10 years ago, they were. Nowadays, it's not that PCs are better than Macs, it's that they're the same. It's all personal preference.

I never said "all" I said "lots". Which is in fact true. Lots of companies still use Macs for media production.

As for which one is better, for my home recording, there's no way I'd use a PC. The Mac is far more powerful.

bobbything
08-03-2005, 10:40 AM
There is absolutely no substitute for a Mac when it comes to graphic design. It's the industry standard.

I had one job where I had to use a PC (and, yes, I'm fluent in PC as well) and it was awful. Clunky, ugly, froze up. Finally, I told them that I was going to bring my old iMac into the office and do my work on that.

My friends are always downloading virus software and the such to keep that crap off of their computer. But, eventually, they end up wiping their hard drive clean every 6 months or so due to the collection of spyware and viruses they've collected over the months.

I love not having to worry about that stuff.

PastorMikH
08-03-2005, 11:38 AM
After just having to take my laptop mouse down to the kitchen and clean the ball and rollers, I look at that thing and the first thought that comes to my mind is, "Great, now there are 2 of those little roller balls to collect junk and need cleaned."

Lzen
08-03-2005, 11:43 AM
My friends are always downloading virus software and the such to keep that crap off of their computer. But, eventually, they end up wiping their hard drive clean every 6 months or so due to the collection of spyware and viruses they've collected over the months.

Perhaps they should think about putting antivirus and antispyware onto their computers. ;) I use PCs at work and at home but never really have a problem with those things.

Lzen
08-03-2005, 11:43 AM
After just having to take my laptop mouse down to the kitchen and clean the ball and rollers, I look at that thing and the first thought that comes to my mind is, "Great, now there are 2 of those little roller balls to collect junk and need cleaned."

Try an optical mouse. ;)

Uatu
08-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Apple has finally discovered that humans have more than one finger. BRILLIANT!

Saulbadguy
08-03-2005, 12:13 PM
True. Hardware wise, they are inferior, and can't keep up with PC's raw power when processing graphic and movie jobs. Maybe that will change when they switch to Intel chips. :)

Rausch
08-03-2005, 12:23 PM

And I'm not convinced that moving to Intel will be any kind of advantage (outside of not having to worry about the PPC/Intel mghz difference.)

I'm hoping that switching to doesn't mean the end of the speed and stability Apple was known for, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Rausch
08-03-2005, 12:25 PM
True. Hardware wise, they are inferior, and can't keep up with PC's raw power when processing graphic and movie jobs. Maybe that will change when they switch to Intel chips. :)

I'd pretty much say the opposite. You don't tell people that the PPC chip is pretty much superior to an Intel chip in every meaningful way and then switch to that maker.

The average customer is going to think you were FOS for the last ten years or FOS now.

patteeu
08-03-2005, 12:36 PM

That's funny. I switched to the PC back around the time of the unveiling of OS X after having been exclusively a mac user for about 10 years. One of the reasons I switched was because Apple refused to embrace the two button mouse. They had rudimentary functionality (e.g. contextual menus) that could be accessed through a cntrl-click or with a 3rd party multi-button mouse, but it was nothing like what Windows had done. (I did have other reasons too like PC gaming superiority and Apple's problems at the time with their chip supply, but the two button issue was a factor).

Maybe contextual menus in OS X have matured since then, I don't know. I've considered switching back, but now that Apple is going back to Intel, I'll wait a while and see how it works out.

Saulbadguy
08-03-2005, 12:42 PM
I'd pretty much say the opposite. You don't tell people that the PPC chip is pretty much superior to an Intel chip in every meaningful way and then switch to that maker.

The average customer is going to think you were FOS for the last ten years or FOS now.
They HAVE been FOS for the past ten years. They always claimed "Superior to the Pentium 1/2/3/4" That is a total load of crap. Plenty of magazines have done HEAD TO HEAD tests between similarly spec'd out PC's and MACs, with the same Photoshop/Premiere scripts, and the PC's always smoke em.

Anymore, MACs only have a few things up on a PC. Less spyware/viruses, more user friendly for your average user, and they are usually more appealing to the eye. Thats abouti t.

Saulbadguy
08-03-2005, 12:43 PM
That's funny. I switched to the PC back around the time of the unveiling of OS X after having been exclusively a mac user for about 10 years. One of the reasons I switched was because Apple refused to embrace the two button mouse. They had rudimentary functionality (e.g. contextual menus) that could be accessed through a cntrl-click or with a 3rd party multi-button mouse, but it was nothing like what Windows had done. (I did have other reasons too like PC gaming superiority and Apple's problems at the time with their chip supply, but the two button issue was a factor).

Maybe contextual menus in OS X have matured since then, I don't know. I've considered switching back, but now that Apple is going back to Intel, I'll wait a while and see how it works out.
It is still fairly simple and straight forward. They make the OS idiot proof, so you can't tweak it as much as Windows.

Lord Bestyle
08-03-2005, 12:47 PM
Three words: "Contextual Menu Items"

If you don't know what it means, your opinion on the Mac is worthless and should be disregarded as such.

Oh, and gochiefs, it's funny how you have such a hard-on for Apple. You haven't used the new Mouse yet and can already declare it "gay"... I guess you can smell your own.

Uatu
08-03-2005, 12:57 PM
I haven't played around with them much lately but if the new OS is based on Unix like some in the know at my place of business say, that alone would make me consider a Mac as an alternative.

Saulbadguy
08-03-2005, 01:01 PM
I haven't played around with them much lately but if the new OS is based on Unix like some in the know at my place of business say, that alone would make me consider a Mac as an alternative.
Why?

J Diddy
08-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Three words: "Contextual Menu Items"

If you don't know what it means, your opinion on the Mac is worthless and should be disregarded as such.

Oh, and gochiefs, it's funny how you have such a hard-on for Apple. You haven't used the new Mouse yet and can already declare it "gay"... I guess you can smell your own.

Have a little too much caffeine this morning? Coming down? It does look pretty gay, just curious as how gochiefs is gonna smell a picture?

Calm down, everything will be alright.

htismaqe
08-03-2005, 01:07 PM
They HAVE been FOS for the past ten years. They always claimed "Superior to the Pentium 1/2/3/4" That is a total load of crap. Plenty of magazines have done HEAD TO HEAD tests between similarly spec'd out PC's and MACs, with the same Photoshop/Premiere scripts, and the PC's always smoke em.

Anymore, MACs only have a few things up on a PC. Less spyware/viruses, more user friendly for your average user, and they are usually more appealing to the eye. Thats abouti t.

Produce the tests.

I've done head-to-head testing of my own, and the Motorola outperforms the Intel in every way.

Uatu
08-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Why?

Security, stability, performance, LSB, cost, update processes (like what you find in a commercial Linux implementation vs. Windows update) among other reasons.

Lord Bestyle
08-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Why?

Gee, maybe it's because he's capable of independent thought and has an open mind.

Saulbadguy
08-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Produce the tests.

I've done head-to-head testing of my own, and the Motorola outperforms the Intel in every way.

How about AMD's?

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112749,pg,8,00.asp

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=32951

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/38445/38445.html

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436&p=5

Plenty of benchmark results available on the net.

Saulbadguy
08-03-2005, 01:32 PM
Gee, maybe it's because he's capable of independent thought and has an open mind.
Apparently not, because he is just going to try it because "some folks in the know" said something good about it.

Lord Bestyle
08-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Have a little too much caffeine this morning? Coming down? It does look pretty gay, just curious as how gochiefs is gonna smell a picture?

Calm down, everything will be alright.

Yes, just a bit too much caffeine. Smelling a picture...I dunno...maybe he's got scratch-n-sniff? ;)

It's not often that Windows-weenies get to me anymore. But hearing GoChiefs go off on a product he hasn't even tried and subsequent piling on from morons that Ballmer and Gates would be proud of was just too much.

Can we just let this thread go to Page 2 and get back to Training Camp talk?

Lord Bestyle
08-03-2005, 01:34 PM
Apparently not, because he is just going to try it because "some folks in the know" said something good about it.

So you've never heard an interesting idea and said "Hey, that sounds cool, maybe I ought to look into that?"

Saulbadguy
08-03-2005, 01:36 PM
So you've never heard an interesting idea and said "Hey, that sounds cool, maybe I ought to look into that?"
His second post (reply to my "Why?") was much more informative.

Rausch
08-03-2005, 01:37 PM
It is still fairly simple and straight forward. They make the OS idiot proof, so you can't tweak it as much as Windows.

Oh, so Microsoft has started releasing their source code?

And Apple is using Unix, but as mentioned earlier I wouldn't buy until after the first wave of machines is out and reviewed.

I agree that the space program needs a new schuttle, but I don't want to be the first guy on the first ship either...

Uatu
08-03-2005, 01:37 PM

By "in the know" I mean, people who currently own Macs, as I do not.

But, I think we can say with certainty that your implant is functioning correctly.

Thig Lyfe
08-03-2005, 01:40 PM
IT'S ABOUT TIME.

Wait.

I don't care.

Never mind.

Rausch
08-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Plenty of magazines have done HEAD TO HEAD tests between similarly spec'd out PC's and MACs, with the same Photoshop/Premiere scripts, and the PC's always smoke em.

False.

First, I have yet to see a test that one side or the other didn't stack the deck (using a PC with older chips, or Mac with different video card, etc...)

Mac was very competitive with their PPC chips but that's all they were going to be, competitive. The gap between the Intel/Athlon chips and the PPC chips were getting bigger every year.

Don't take this as me supporting to move to intel however...

Saulbadguy
08-03-2005, 01:41 PM
But, I think we can say with certainty that your implant is functioning correctly.
Its a full moon.

Lord Bestyle
08-03-2005, 01:42 PM
His second post (reply to my "Why?") was much more informative.

Then you don't think "security, stability, performance, LSB, cost, update processes" sound cool? You MUST be a Windows zealot.

Saulbadguy
08-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Then you don't think "security, stability, performance, LSB, cost, update processes" sound cool? You MUST be a Windows zealot.
It sounds great. I wasn't saying it was a bad thing, but I've got all that I need with Windows.

PastorMikH
08-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Try an optical mouse. ;)

Yeah, I have one on the home computer and the office compupter. I dropped enough $ on the laptop that for the sake of the marriage I thought I should wait a bit before starting to add upgrades.

;)

htismaqe
08-03-2005, 02:40 PM
How about AMD's?

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112749,pg,8,00.asp

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=32951

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/38445/38445.html

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436&p=5

Plenty of benchmark results available on the net.

Dude, that first benchmark test link you posted is G5 PPC vs. SIXTY FOUR BIT AMD.

****ing DUH!

Pants
08-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Dude, that first benchmark test link you posted is G5 PPC vs. SIXTY FOUR BIT AMD.

****ing DUH!

Yes, PC > Mac.

Saulbadguy
08-03-2005, 02:50 PM

****ing DUH!
Aren't they around the same cost?

Pitt Gorilla
08-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Once again, I use a PC and a Mac at home. I like each one for different reasons. That being said, there really is no comparison between Macs and PCs when it comes to laptops; the iBooks and Powerbooks are much better machines than anything else I've tried. As far as desktops, they are both fine, IMO.

Pants
08-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Once again, I use a PC and a Mac at home. I like each one for different reasons. That being said, there really is no comparison between Macs and PCs when it comes to laptops; the iBooks and Powerbooks are much better machines than anything else I've tried. As far as desktops, they are both fine, IMO.

The high end PC notebooks are also very good, probably better than the Macs. I'm talking about the Alienware (http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_pages/Area-51m_7700/area-51m_7700_features.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AREA51-M-7700&SubCode=SKU-EXTREME) ones, etc.

Valiant
08-03-2005, 05:55 PM

****ing DUH!

Whats the cost between the two???

ENDelt260
08-03-2005, 06:00 PM

My post was worded poorly. I intended to say something closer to working in the computer industry. Though, i'm sure there's lots of developers that do all their development on Macs... that work for Apple.

-OR-

I said work with *computers* for a living, dumbass. Them artsy fartsy types is workin' w/ macs. Duh.

ENDelt260
08-03-2005, 06:02 PM
There is absolutely no substitute for a Mac when it comes to graphic design. It's the industry standard.

I had one job where I had to use a PC (and, yes, I'm fluent in PC as well) and it was awful. Clunky, ugly, froze up. Finally, I told them that I was going to bring my old iMac into the office and do my work on that.

If they weren't idiots they wouldn't have to worry about that stuff either.

Pants
08-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Rofl, clunky, froze up, aweful? WTF are you talking about? I think the last time my computer froze up was in '97.

Count Alex's Losses
08-03-2005, 06:17 PM
I do so love these threads.

Taco John
08-03-2005, 06:26 PM
Breaking News! Apple re-invents the wheel! New model to include square goodness!