PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions? I've Been Roped into Coaching Pee-Wee

Mr. Kotter
08-02-2005, 10:52 PM
I've coached HS Freshman before: for 8 years....but my son's team didn't have an assistant coach, so here I am.

Anyone have any experience coaching Pee-Wee (8-9 yrs olds)? Suggestions, comments would be welcome.

FWIW, the head coach is gonna run a wishbone, I-formation offense...and a 4-3/5-2 cover-2 Defense (WTF is with that? My first priority is to convince him to go to a 4-4 with a "monster"....like, what, we'll get to cover maybe 4-5 passes a game? heh.)

Donger
08-02-2005, 10:54 PM
I've Been Roped into Coaching Pee-Wee

Don't spank it in public.

I think that may be good advice regardless of age, however.

Mr. Kotter
08-02-2005, 10:55 PM
Don't spank it in public.

I think that may be good advice regardless of age, however.

WTF? You think I'm gochiefs, or something? :p

Iowanian
08-02-2005, 10:55 PM
Keep it simple.
Concentrate on the basics/FUNdamentals

make it fun, teach them, let everyone play.

|Zach|
08-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Keep it simple.

Well said.

|Zach|
08-02-2005, 10:57 PM
I remember when I was really young our team was having troubles with the whole idea of "left and right" haha.

We all got these wrist band things and put them on one side. it helped us learn the offense.

Mr. Kotter
08-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Keep it simple.

Yeah. I'll definitely keep that in mind....though it'll be hard to not want to "win."

Iowanian
08-02-2005, 11:01 PM
I was just thinking that you could get them red and green wrist bands....call the plays "red 34 dive" etc...so they know which way to go.

Find their talents, don't be afraid to let them play different positions.

I can't stress enough the FUN damentals.

Stance, proper hitting technique...how to take a handoff..How to hold the ball with both hands at contact.

Simple schemes, simple plays........execute 3-4 of them well and they'll be better than having 50 in the playbook.

Dive middle, off tackle, sweep. simple pass

I doubt they'll be able to do traps and counters.

tk13
08-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Pro-style offense, I'd go with the nickel/dime packages all the time... get those quick little suckers flying all over the field. Work on your fake FG's, teach your special teams players that kickoff coverages are war, there should be dead bodies left on the field.

Film sessions, hours of film sessions. First practice should be a 2 hour film session. Show them film of Scanlon. Everyday. Tell them to watch him flow to the ball, drop kick linemen, and bend the QB over like Paris Hilton in a home movie. If you play like that, you're going to be winners.

Mr. Kotter
08-02-2005, 11:05 PM
I was just thinking that you could get them red and green wrist bands....call the plays "red 34 dive" etc...so they know which way to go.

Find their talents, don't be afraid to let them play different positions.

I can't stress enough the FUN damentals.

Stance, proper hitting technique...how to take a handoff..How to hold the ball with both hands at contact.

Simple schemes, simple plays........execute 3-4 of them well and they'll be better than having 50 in the playbook.

Dive middle, off tackle, sweep. simple pass

I doubt they'll be able to do traps and counters.

Sounds kinda like I was thinkin'....seriously. I was hopin' for 6 or 8 plays (3-4 to each side) along with a couple of "dink" passes (TE dump, quick slant, an out....)

I'm hopin' we can work a counter and trap in...but probably not before the playoffs. :hmmm:

Iowanian
08-02-2005, 11:06 PM
yeah....

or go with a basic 54 defense...fat boy over Center....athletes at LB

I'll wager you'll have alot better luck running Crossbuck plays than counters out of the wishbone.....having 1 do misdirection would be good too.

I'm just saying....Keep it simple enough, and make sure they all understand....and explain what each of their responsibilities are.........I imagine some of them don't even know where the Centerfielder goes with his Hockey Racket.

Mr. Kotter
08-02-2005, 11:08 PM
Yeah, when this guy says "cover 2" for PeeWee....I'm thinkin', "hell, we cheat the strong safety in all the way into Varsity level at the HS...." so I gotta get him into an 8 or 9 man in the box mindset....heh.

Mr. Kotter
08-02-2005, 11:12 PM
Pro-style offense, I'd go with the nickel/dime packages all the time... get those quick little suckers flying all over the field. Work on your fake FG's, teach your special teams players that kickoff coverages are war, there should be dead bodies left on the field.

Film sessions, hours of film sessions. First practice should be a 2 hour film session. Show them film of Scanlon. Everyday. Tell them to watch him flow to the ball, drop kick linemen, and bend the QB over like Paris Hilton in a home movie. If you play like that, you're going to be winners.

:bong:

Except for the Scanlon part, of course. Heh.

:)

Mr. Kotter
08-02-2005, 11:15 PM
yeah....

or go with a basic 54 defense...fat boy over Center....athletes at LB

I'll wager you'll have alot better luck running Crossbuck plays than counters out of the wishbone.....having 1 do misdirection would be good too.

I'm just saying....Keep it simple enough, and make sure they all understand....and explain what each of their responsibilities are.........I imagine some of them don't even know where the Centerfielder goes with his Hockey Racket.

Crossbuck....yeah, that's a good idea. Thanks.

trndobrd
08-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Remind the little guys that winning isn't everything, it's the only thing. America loves a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Second place is nothing more than the first loser. If they don't win, they are losers. If they don't win it is because they are worthless and dumb.

Mr. Kotter
08-02-2005, 11:23 PM
Remind the little guys that winning isn't everything, it's the only thing. America loves a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Second place is nothing more than the first loser. If they don't win, they are losers. If they don't win it is because they are worthless and dumb.

Hey.....how'd you know, that was gonna be my first pep talk:

"Second place? It first place for the LOSERS.....WTF is wrong with you, are you Democrats?"

;)

sd4chiefs
08-02-2005, 11:23 PM
Good luck with the all the fathers that think that thier son is not getting enough playing time.

trndobrd
08-02-2005, 11:54 PM
Good luck with the all the fathers that think that thier son is not getting enough playing time.

"Maybe if Junior wasn't a fat, good for nothing, bum like his old man he would get more playing time."

Logical
08-02-2005, 11:59 PM
I suppose hiding is no longer an option. Actually I hope you enjoy it, you seem like the type that would handle it and the parents well. I would probably dope slap the parents for being so stupid about their precious little Johnny.

Iowanian
08-03-2005, 07:21 AM
Carry a Roll of dimes in your nylon, too tight coaches shorts...............so you can put them in your hand when you have to KO Clinton Portis' mama.

BigRedChief
08-03-2005, 07:29 AM
Sounds kinda like I was thinkin'....seriously. I was hopin' for 6 or 8 plays (3-4 to each side) along with a couple of "dink" passes (TE dump, quick slant, an out....)

I'm hopin' we can work a counter and trap in...but probably not before the playoffs. :hmmm:8-9 years olds can't pass worth a crap. Even if you got a stud QB that can throw with accuracy the recievers won't be able to catch it. A little shuffle pass is the best you will do.

If you got good LB's play 3-4 if not 4-3. 3-4 is the best up through 6th grade because the OL don't know who to block unless there is someone right in front of them so your LB's end up getting free rein to make plays.

Skip Towne
08-03-2005, 07:33 AM
Remember to include 65 Toss Power Trap and 51 G-O Reverse. They'll understand some day when they grow up to be Chiefs fans.

Iowanian
08-03-2005, 07:39 AM
I disagree with kids and the 3-4.

For the reasons you mentioned about not being able to pass, its not something you have to worry about.

a 3-4 requires bigger kids, who know what they're doing.

something like the 5-4 or Monster D, allow them to just line up across from the other kid and mash him, leaving 4lbs to flow to the ball....and hopefully teach your OLB on the far side to Contain(watch for the reverse).

"give it to fat albert and Metriculate the ball on down the field"

BigRedChief
08-03-2005, 07:45 AM
I disagree with kids and the 3-4.

For the reasons you mentioned about not being able to pass, its not something you have to worry about.

a 3-4 requires bigger kids, who know what they're doing.

something like the 5-4 or Monster D, allow them to just line up across from the other kid and mash him, leaving 4lbs to flow to the ball....and hopefully teach your OLB on the far side to Contain(watch for the reverse).

"give it to fat albert and Metriculate the ball on down the field"

Yep thats just about what every pee wee team will do. Stack the line. But thats my point. Blockers don't know how to defens when someone is not right across from them. Easy pickins. The champ in every league I've ever been in had a 3-4 d.

Saulbadguy
08-03-2005, 07:46 AM
Annexation of Puerto Rico.

Mr. Kotter
08-03-2005, 08:01 AM
Remember to include 65 Toss Power Trap and 51 G-O Reverse. They'll understand some day when they grow up to be Chiefs fans.

Those are the first two plays we are gonna work on, if I have my say.

The irony of this, the head coach is a friggin' Bronco fan. :cuss:

I'll be carrying a roll of quarters, not dimes Iowanian...and it'll be for him, not Portis's mom. Heh. :p

Mr. Kotter
08-03-2005, 08:03 AM
Annexation of Puerto Rico.

Nah, they'd be a bunch of future Dems. If I'm leaving the party to register as Independent....I'm more interested in choppin' up California or somethin'. :D

Iowanian
08-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Just give the ball to the Icebox.

ChiTown
08-03-2005, 08:06 AM
On Offfense, keep it EXTREMELY simple at that age. The simpler the better. The key is execution, not details:

Split backfield. One back is 2, and the other back is 3. Label the holes 2,4 & 6 on the right side, and 1,3 & 5 on the left side. Have a couple of sweeps, no tosses, and limit the reverses. Handoffs between kids that age are tough and often get fumbled. Passes should be flares, over the middle, 5 N outs, or if you have a guy that can really throw - 10 yard curl.

On Def, I'd run a stack D (5-4) with the LB's no more than 2 yds off the ball, but that's just me. Passing in these leagues are pretty limited. The key is to stop the run and force them to pass. Completion percentage has to be 1-4.

Good luck, as I'm also coaching my 7 old son this Fall. :)

Braincase
08-03-2005, 08:17 AM
Visualize a red X on the grass six feet behind the runner, head up, hips low, drive through the objective, plant the runner on his ass where you saw the red X.

Saulbadguy
08-03-2005, 08:18 AM
Just give the ball to the Icebox.
Another good Little Giants reference.

ChiTown
08-03-2005, 08:22 AM
Oh yeah, lots of Oklahoma Drill's. My old man ran us through that until we dropped. I think that drill really teaches kids to take on the runner in the proper way.

Lzen
08-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Yep thats just about what every pee wee team will do. Stack the line. But thats my point. Blockers don't know how to defens when someone is not right across from them. Easy pickins. The champ in every league I've ever been in had a 3-4 d.

This is correct. Our team struggled last year everytime we went up against a 3-4 defense because our line didn't know who to block.

Lzen
08-03-2005, 08:36 AM
Oh yeah, lots of Oklahoma Drill's. My old man ran us through that until we dropped. I think that drill really teaches kids to take on the runner in the proper way.

And proper wrap up tackling technique. I love watching that drill. Our team ran that the other day for the first time this year. I can tell my son has improved a lot. He was nailing the ball carrier and taking him down every time. :D

jidar1
08-03-2005, 08:55 AM
I coached that exact league last year. The main part of it is learning what the kids are capable of doing and what their tendencies are as a whole then adjusting your gameplan to it.
For instance, 5-2 cover 2 on D is good because you can exploit mismatches by adjusting your line. And then your pass rushers are in the backfield as soon as the snap happens.
You will find that this situation becomes very common so you really don't get to make much use of pass plays since there is never enough time. That's even if you have more than 2 players who can reliably throw and catch in a game situation which is unlikely.

The lesson here is to stick to and focus on the extreme basics. If you can get a simple I formation and get your o-line to slow someone down, then have a full back blocking for a runner, you're going to do well.

Also, be sure to focus on the ball snap early on in practice. Shotgun "draw" plays are very common and a lot of teams spent the first game or two of the season just trying to find a reliable center to snap the ball.

Finally, I don't know how your league does it but usually trick plays like fake punts are not allowed.

jcl-kcfan2
08-03-2005, 10:38 AM
I've coached HS Freshman before: for 8 years....but my son's team didn't have an assistant coach, so here I am.

Anyone have any experience coaching Pee-Wee (8-9 yrs olds)? Suggestions, comments would be welcome.

FWIW, the head coach is gonna run a wishbone, I-formation offense...and a 4-3/5-2 cover-2 Defense (WTF is with that? My first priority is to convince him to go to a 4-4 with a "monster"....like, what, we'll get to cover maybe 4-5 passes a game? heh.)

Defense - 7 diamond

'nuff said

Lzen
08-03-2005, 10:46 AM
Defense - 7 diamond

'nuff said

Uh, not 'nuff said. How about explaining what the heck is 7 diamond? :hmmm:

ChiTown
08-03-2005, 10:53 AM
1. Assume your defense faces a typical split-back offense (see first step of "Run a Football Offense: Quick Pitch" under Related eHows).

2. Load the line shoulder to shoulder, with the nose guard head-up on the center.

3. Place a tackle on either side, head-up on opposing guards.

4. Set a linebacker and strong safety on the outside of the guards, head-up on offensive tackles.

5. Position one end on either side of the tackles.

6. Set one lonely linebacker behind and between the nose guard and right guard.

7. Set two corners in your defensive secondary, 7 yards off the line of scrimmage - one to either side opposite the split end and flanker.

8. Leave a free safety 9 to 12 yards behind the line of scrimmage, centered behind the nose guard.

buddha
08-03-2005, 10:57 AM
http://www.johntreed.com/CYF.html

This is a GREAT book on the subject. Money very well spent!

munkey
08-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Heh..

There was a wrestling coach in a small town I once resided in that after the last meet took all the wrestlers to pizza. His reward to the kids after a sub par season was to go into the bathroom, shit on a plat, insert a fork and present it to the team...

Just a suggestion...

Don't be surprised if you lose your job though.

J Diddy
08-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Don't do what I did with my girls softball team. Got into a fight with the league president (he's a chickenshit) and got banned for life from that league. Funny thing is next year he got banned for life for embezzlement.

Lzen
08-03-2005, 11:03 AM
1. Assume your defense faces a typical split-back offense (see first step of "Run a Football Offense: Quick Pitch" under Related eHows).

2. Load the line shoulder to shoulder, with the nose guard head-up on the center.

4. Set a linebacker and strong safety on the outside of the guards, head-up on offensive tackles.

7. Set two corners in your defensive secondary, 7 yards off the line of scrimmage - one to either side opposite the split end and flanker.

8. Leave a free safety 9 to 12 yards behind the line of scrimmage, centered behind the nose guard.

Ok, so basically it's a 7 man line with one LB, 2 CBs, and one FS making a diamond formation behind. Interesting. I've never seen that.

ChiTown
08-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Ok, so basically it's a 7 man line with one LB, 2 CBs, and one FS making a diamond formation behind. Interesting. I've never seen that.

This is totally geared up to stop the run. IMO, these leagues are all about running. Passing efficiency is measured in "if" you completed a pass - not how many.

Lzen
08-03-2005, 11:30 AM
This is totally geared up to stop the run. IMO, these leagues are all about running. Passing efficiency is measured in "if" you completed a pass - not how many.

Yes. At that age, they don't have a passing game that is worth a crap.

Mr. Kotter
08-03-2005, 09:25 PM

Heh. I like that. I like that a lot. :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
08-03-2005, 09:26 PM
http://www.johntreed.com/CYF.html

This is a GREAT book on the subject. Money very well spent!

Thanks. Someone else also recommended that very book. :thumb: