PDA

View Full Version : Is our WR corps a "LOCK"?

John_Wayne
08-03-2005, 11:34 AM
Here's how I see it:

Kennison
Parker
Mitchell
Boerigter
Hall
(not necessarily in that order)

I think it's a lock (baring injury). Can you see it any other way?

Every year we hope that Vermiel will keep 6 WR and he always keeps 5. I doubt this year will be any different.

I'd like to see Hall off of that list and Richard Smith or Crap Thorpe in his place. I think Hall needs to be strictly KR/PR. Sure he can run a few WR and/or RB routes from time to time. But I wish they wouldn't count on him as a WR.

I guess if they do keep 6 WR, I'd say it will be Smith or Thorpe. But I see Smith being cut again (too bad) and Thorpe on the PS.

Saulbadguy
08-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Dante shouldn't be a STARTER at WR. Thats all I think about that.

Rausch
08-03-2005, 11:37 AM
This year we have an extra roster spot because Holcombe will be our 3rd RB and 2nd Fullback.

jidar1
08-03-2005, 11:44 AM
This year I think we finally keep 6, and your list + thorpe is what I'm thinking. The guy has too much potential to let him get away without a putting a bit of effort into him.

Coach
08-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Dante shouldn't be a STARTER at WR. Thats all I think about that.

Agreed. I don't have a problem if he is used at the slot for just occasional plays. But I'd just perfer Dante to just play the KO/P returner, nothing more.

Dick Bull
08-03-2005, 11:49 AM
Agreed. I don't have a problem if he is used at the slot for just occasional plays. But I'd just perfer Dante to just play the KO/P returner, nothing more.

Yep, a few plays a game. Like we did a couple of years ago. I'll never forget about that pass he caught vs. denver.

Rain Man
08-03-2005, 11:57 AM
I certainly don't think Boerigter's a lock. His legend has outgrown the fact that he was an off-the-street free agent whose best season has been 20 catches.

htismaqe
08-03-2005, 11:59 AM
I certainly don't think Boerigter's a lock. His legend has outgrown the fact that he was an off-the-street free agent whose best season has been 20 catches.

That's sure to ruffle some feathers.

:clap:

Dick Bull
08-03-2005, 11:59 AM

Point taken.

Frosty
08-03-2005, 12:10 PM

If he is healthy, I think they will keep him for special teams, if nothing else. Supposedly, he is one of the Chiefs best players there and his absence was sorely missed last year.

John_Wayne
08-03-2005, 12:16 PM

What the HELL are you talking about!!?? Boerigter is a GREAT veteran WR!!!!! He's a LOCK and you know it!!! :mad:

:p

Thig Lyfe
08-03-2005, 12:22 PM

8 of those catches were touchdowns.

Dick Bull
08-03-2005, 12:23 PM
8 of those catches were touchdowns.

12 of them weren't

Katie
08-03-2005, 12:24 PM
What's the word as to Bo's performance in camp thus far?

keg in kc
08-03-2005, 12:25 PM
What's the word as to Bo's performance in camp thus far?Looks good, from everything I've heard.

jspchief
08-03-2005, 12:27 PM
I certainly don't think Boerigter's a lock. His legend has outgrown the fact that he was an off-the-street free agent whose best season has been 20 catches.Especially when you consider how he sucked when given an expanded role in '03.

I'd love to have the '02 Boe on our team. I just don't think he exists.

Thig Lyfe
08-03-2005, 12:32 PM
12 of them weren't

Bastard.

the Talking Can
08-03-2005, 12:40 PM
I hope it turns out the best WRs are, in order:

#1 Kennison
#2 Parker
#3 Bo/Dante
#4 Dante/Bo
#5 Crap-ho

leaving poor Chris Horn on the outside...

It is probably already determined though that

#1 Kennison
#2 Parker
#3 Mitchell/Dante
#4 Dante/Mitchell
#5 Crap-ho (I doubt we can sneak him through waivers)

adios Bo, adios Horn, adios that Smith guy, adios whoever else is left whose-name-I-can-never-remember-oh-yeah-Jerius-McIntyre-??

htismaqe
08-03-2005, 12:43 PM
I hope it turns out the best WRs are, in order:

#1 Kennison
#2 Parker
#3 Bo/Dante
#4 Dante/Bo
#5 Crap-ho

leaving poor Chris Horn on the outside...

It is probably already determined though that

#1 Kennison
#2 Parker
#3 Mitchell/Dante
#4 Dante/Mitchell
#5 Crap-ho (I doubt we can sneak him through waivers)

adios Bo, adios Horn, adios that Smith guy, adios whoever else is left whose-name-I-can-never-remember-oh-yeah-Jerius-McIntyre-??

I don't see Bo getting beat out by Mitchell unless Bo is still suffering lingering effects from the injury. The guy was a key to our special teams in 2003, even if he didn't contribute as much at WR.

#1 Kennison
#2 Parker
#3 Bo
#4 Mitchell
#5 Craphonso

I think they'll actually keep Dante as the #6 WR so that they can use him at KR/PR.

the Talking Can
08-03-2005, 12:47 PM
I don't see Bo getting beat out by Mitchell unless Bo is still suffering lingering effects from the injury. The guy was a key to our special teams in 2003, even if he didn't contribute as much at WR.

#1 Kennison
#2 Parker
#3 Bo
#4 Mitchell
#5 Craphonso

I think they'll actually keep Dante as the #6 WR so that they can use him at KR/PR.

Dante is what I can't figure out. Does he count as a WR? If not, you're right - Bo and Crapho stay. But regardless of who is the #3 Mitchell/Bo AS has said that Dante will get a certain number of plays and it seems to be the line between our #3 and #4 Wr is blurry....I could see Dante/Mitchell/Bo all getting an irregular amount of plays game to game.

I realize I have no love for Mitchell, but if he's the best 3rd option then he should play. I'd rather it were Bo, though.

Fire Me Boy!
08-03-2005, 12:48 PM
If he is healthy, I think they will keep him for special teams, if nothing else. Supposedly, he is one of the Chiefs best players there and his absence was sorely missed last year.
Taking this in mind, could this be what Vermeil was talking about?

He said this in today's press conference:
VERMEIL: “Not any more than we normally do. We had a big serious meeting on special teams the other day and I think we’re short a couple of real corps special teams guys – and not from the obvious linebacker position. Someone will probably end up making this football team because they’re better on special teams than the position they play. I feel a little pressure there.”

the Talking Can
08-03-2005, 12:50 PM
Taking this in mind, could this be what Vermeil was talking about?

He said this in today's press conference:

that is an interesting quote...

htismaqe
08-03-2005, 12:50 PM
Dante is what I can't figure out. Does he count as a WR? If not, you're right - Bo and Crapho stay. But regardless of who is the #3 Mitchell/Bo AS has said that Dante will get a certain number of plays and it seems to be the line between our #3 and #4 Wr is blurry....I could see Dante/Mitchell/Bo all getting an irregular amount of plays game to game.

I realize I have no love for Mitchell, but if he's the best 3rd option then he should play. I'd rather it were Bo, though.

I'm not sure it matters who is #3 vs. #4 between Mitchell and Bo. They're too different physically and I think they'll be used differently -- AS has said they installed several new personnel packages this year specifically to get better matchups.

htismaqe
08-03-2005, 12:52 PM
that is an interesting quote...

And one that I think points to what I just said -- Bo has a legup on making the team, even if he's not the better WR, because our return game fell off last year with him out. He's a big part of Dante's success.

the Talking Can
08-03-2005, 12:55 PM
And one that I think points to what I just said -- Bo has a legup on making the team, even if he's not the better WR, because our return game fell off last year with him out. He's a big part of Dante's success.

yeah...it would seem to involve Bo...and maybe Boomer...and maybe Stills?

htismaqe
08-03-2005, 12:56 PM
yeah...it would seem to involve Bo...and maybe Boomer...and maybe Stills?

I'm torn on Stills. I think he's a complete waste of space as a defensive player. But it's hard to justify cutting your special teams captain.

jspchief
08-03-2005, 12:57 PM
yeah...it would seem to involve Bo...and maybe Boomer...and maybe Stills?Holthus made a comment on the radio the other day that would indicate that Stills will make the team (unfortunately).

He was talking about how poor the STs have been in the few practices dedicated to it, and that some guys need to step up and "give Stills some help".

Frosty
08-03-2005, 01:00 PM

That's a brilliant point.

:)

John_Wayne
08-03-2005, 01:07 PM
#1 Kennison
#2 Parker
#3 Bo
#4 Mitchell
#5 Craphonso
KR/PR/WR/RB - Dante Hall

This is exactly what I'd like to see.

milkman
08-03-2005, 01:09 PM
Holthus made a comment on the radio the other day that would indicate that Stills will make the team (unfortunately).

He was talking about how poor the STs have been in the few practices dedicated to it, and that some guys need to step up and "give Stills some help".

I'd hate to keep Stills on the roster just because of his STs prowess, but if other guys aren't steping it up on that unit, then even I would agree that his presence there is justifiable.

His place on the roster as a defensive player is just a waste of roster space, and I would hope that someone with potential could step up on STs, but I can't dismiss the importance of STs, and if no one can play at, or close to, his level, then keeping him on the roster is more necessity than luxury.

htismaqe
08-03-2005, 01:16 PM
I'd hate to keep Stills on the roster just because of his STs prowess, but if other guys aren't steping it up on that unit, then even I would agree that his presence there is justifiable.

His place on the roster as a defensive player is just a waste of roster space, and I would hope that someone with potential could step up on STs, but I can't dismiss the importance of STs, and if no one can play at, or close to, his level, then keeping him on the roster is more necessity than luxury.

Pretty much how I feel about it.

Cormac
08-03-2005, 02:34 PM
The problem with STs is that last year Beisel was probably our best player, IMO. Also Julian Battle was a good STer. With them gone, we need to find replacements (maybe Boomer and...), and keep Stills, I guess. We should have the horses to play good STs this year, when you factor in Boomer, Fox, and the returns of Kris Wilson and Boerigter. There is still a chance they cut Stills, but not unless the team really shows something in practice.

On the WR note, I'd like to see us find a way to keep Chris Horn. I have no confidence in FredEx whatsoever. He might turn out to be the world's biggest bargain, and we have little invested in him, but I don't expect much. Horn is probably nothing like him, talentwise, but he makes catches, he's tough and he's dependable. He's kind of like Kevin Lockett from a few years back, and we could use that kind of player. The one good thing Morton ever did for KC was make several 3rd down catches last season. He's gone, so Horn could be valuable. JMO.

I could see us starting the year by keeping FredEx and Horn and putting Thorpe on the PS (I really doubt he'd be claimed if we don't see fit to put him on the roster). Then we could bring Thorpe up if one of the other two do nothing.

Kennison
Parker (reports from practice are v. encouraging)
Boerigter (could still make a serious contribution)
Horn
Mitchell

Thorpe on standby on the PS
Dante as KR/PR.

htismaqe
08-03-2005, 03:44 PM
The problem with STs is that last year Beisel was probably our best player, IMO. Also Julian Battle was a good STer. With them gone, we need to find replacements (maybe Boomer and...), and keep Stills, I guess. We should have the horses to play good STs this year, when you factor in Boomer, Fox, and the returns of Kris Wilson and Boerigter. There is still a chance they cut Stills, but not unless the team really shows something in practice.

On the WR note, I'd like to see us find a way to keep Chris Horn. I have no confidence in FredEx whatsoever. He might turn out to be the world's biggest bargain, and we have little invested in him, but I don't expect much. Horn is probably nothing like him, talentwise, but he makes catches, he's tough and he's dependable. He's kind of like Kevin Lockett from a few years back, and we could use that kind of player. The one good thing Morton ever did for KC was make several 3rd down catches last season. He's gone, so Horn could be valuable. JMO.

I could see us starting the year by keeping FredEx and Horn and putting Thorpe on the PS (I really doubt he'd be claimed if we don't see fit to put him on the roster). Then we could bring Thorpe up if one of the other two do nothing.

Kennison
Horn
Mitchell

Dante as KR/PR.

Stills and Boerigter are the two KEY guys when it comes to springing Dante in the return game.

Ninjaman
08-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Guys.

Thorpe has looked sensational in practices ? !

I see some surprises coming.

Dave Lane
08-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Thorpe should be on the list instead of Hall.

Dave

Taco John
08-03-2005, 04:53 PM
Has anyone played like Crap?

DenverChief
08-03-2005, 05:00 PM
12 of them weren'tROFL

nychief
08-03-2005, 05:43 PM

Say all you want about Freddie Mitchell, he does have 90 catches in the league for a pretty good team - while Bo (god love him) has 31.

Douche Baggins
08-03-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm rooting for Bo. I think he would have replaced Morton last year if he hadn't gotten hurt. His drop problem was purely related to his eye thing, which was corrected.

htismaqe
08-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Say all you want about Freddie Mitchell, he does have 90 catches in the league for a pretty good team - while Bo (god love him) has 31.

I absolutely agree, and as I said earlier today, I don't think being #3 or #4 really matters because the two are so different physically.

I just don't see either of them causing the other to be left off the roster, especially with Bo, because of his special teams play.

htismaqe
08-03-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm rooting for Bo. I think he would have replaced Morton last year if he hadn't gotten hurt. His drop problem was purely related to his eye thing, which was corrected.

I heard Bo on the radio today or yesterday and he said, HIMSELF, that the story about his eyesight was "nonsense".

Coach
08-03-2005, 06:08 PM
I heard Bo on the radio today or yesterday and he said, HIMSELF, that the story about his eyesight was "nonsense".

Huh, that's odd. I can remember 2 years ago where he or someone mentioned that his eyesight was a problem, and Bo had eye surgery to correct it.

:shrug:

htismaqe
08-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Huh, that's odd. I can remember 2 years ago where he or someone mentioned that his eyesight was a problem, and Bo had eye surgery to correct it.

:shrug:

I was absolutely floored by the comment, but I was in my car and forgot to post it when I got home.

When I thought back on it, the only things I ever heard came from the TEAM not him.

I'm not shitting -- they were talking about his dad, who was a basketball coach, and he all of the sudden said that the rumor about his eyesight was basically BS.

FRCDFED
08-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Depending on the severity of Mitchells knee injury, he may be in jeopardy of making the team. It may have been a wiser choice to undergo surgery and then he would be on the team for sure. Face it, he is a former 1st round draft pick. The future of this team at WR is most likely FredEx and Thorpe who probably would've been a first rounder himself if he wouldn't have been injured in college.

Hydrae
08-03-2005, 06:49 PM

Kennison
Horn
Mitchell

Dante as KR/PR.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on that. I do not see Crap making it on the PS simply because he wouldn't stay there long. This is why, if we keep 5 WRs again, it will be Bo who is the odd man out.

I will agree with an earlier post though that Holcombe will be our 2nd FB and 3rd RB leaving a spot open for us to keep 6.

Oh, and on the special teams talk, Stills will stick with the team and Caver will be gone. ST was always a weak point for Caver and even though he has improved, Stills is obviously much better.

yoswif
08-04-2005, 09:11 AM
I can't see KC keeping more than 5 WRs because they'll always have at least one and usually two TEs in the game. Rarely will the Chiefs put more than two WRs on the field. I think OL will get added depth due to age issues there.

I think Mitchell has to secure a starting spot to make the team because he doesn't figure on special teams. Parker and Thorpe have been working on kick returns at camp and Bo is a top special teams performer.

I think the 5 WRs on the 53 man roster will be Kennison, Parker, Bo, Thorpe, and Hall. Smith and McIntyre on the PS.

KChiefs1
08-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Here's how I see it:

Kennison
Parker
Mitchell
Boerigter
Hall
(not necessarily in that order)

I think it's a lock (baring injury). Can you see it any other way?

Every year we hope that Vermiel will keep 6 WR and he always keeps 5. I doubt this year will be any different.

Call me crazy, but I think Thorpe makes this team. :)

Cormac
08-04-2005, 09:24 AM
I have to respectfully disagree with you on that. I do not see Crap making it on the PS simply because he wouldn't stay there long. This is why, if we keep 5 WRs again, it will be Bo who is the odd man out.

Fair enough. I'm basing my opinion of Thorpe on the fact that he was still showing signs of the leg injury in minicamps or OTAs (allegedly), and wasn't going all out. Given our offensive scheme and as hard as it is for WRs to pick it up, and the fact that he was only a 4th rounder, I don't expect much contribution from him this year. Certainly if he turns it on in camp he could be a good addition, but if he doesn't make our squad, I don't know there would be a whole lot of interest around the league in picking him off our PS......:shrug:

My hope is that we can keep Horn somehow. He's a decent STer too.

I agree that Caver will be gone. With the emergence of Fox, the ST ability of Boomer, and all of our other additions, we have a logjam at LB. Thankfully that should spell the end for Caver and Fred Jones etc. The LB corps is hard to predict. If we keep 7:

Johson
Bell
Mitchell
Fox
Fujita
Boomer
Stills

That means Barber, Caver, Jones, Maz and even the Mighty Scanlon :eek: would all get left out......

TRR
08-04-2005, 09:33 AM
I think this is the year KC keeps 6 WR's. Robert Holcombe gives Vermeil the freedom to not have to carry a 3rd RB IMO. Holcombe can double as a RB/FB combo, and allow TRich to slide into the RB spot if Priest and LJ are injured. Or he could step in and play some RB as well.

Kennison and Parker will be the starters with Mitchell and Hall being rotated in during different packages. Boe will be kept because of his ST's play, and Crow will be kept because he most likely would get picked off of KC's PS.

Horn is a great player to have on the practice squad. He can be activated, and become productive, and he won't be stolen very easily.