PDA

View Full Version : Deion admits to taking steriods. The first active NFL player to come clean

BigRedChief
08-03-2005, 02:59 PM
The story off of espn:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2122901

Sanders said that shortly before he decided to end his three-year retirement last Aug. 31, he received medical treatment for an ankle he hurt while playing basketball. When he took his Ravens' physical, steroids were detected in his system.

"The next thing I know they're testing me weekly. I'm like, what's going on? I had never had a prior," he recalled. "They told me I flunked the steroid test. I was on the random steroid test every week because I took something for my ankle."

jspchief
08-03-2005, 03:06 PM
The most refreshing part of this story is that he broke it himself.

Because of confidentiality, no one would have ever known, but he was man enough to come out and admit it.

Since he wasn't in the league at the time he took it, he's not subject to punishment, but testing positive still makes him subject to future testing.

It's also noteworthy that he wasn't breaking any laws. It was a prescribed treatment.

Taco John
08-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Hmmm... I don't think it taints him too much at this point... Though, it'll be another story if it turns up that he took them when he was playing with the Cowboys or Niners... Of course, the guy never could lay a hit, so if he was taking steroids then, he got ripped off...

BigRedChief
08-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Hmmm... I don't think it taints him too much at this point... Though, it'll be another story if it turns up that he took them when he was playing with the Cowboys or Niners... Of course, the guy never could lay a hit, so if he was taking steroids then, he got ripped off...

Thats pretty funny....for a bronco fan.

HolmeZz
08-03-2005, 03:38 PM
Did he use them while playing for the Reds/Braves?

jspchief
08-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Did he use them while playing for the Reds/Braves?He didn't use them while playing any sports.

It was a legal prescription for an injury occured while he was retired. It's not like he was taking them to enhance his performance. It was simply part of the recovery, just like any average person would do.

munkey
08-03-2005, 04:29 PM
He just misses the attention...

Needless to say I haven't missed him one bit...

keg in kc
08-03-2005, 04:37 PM
I don't like deion much, but it's one thing to bend over and get a shot in your ass to bulk up, it's something else entirely to spread a prescribed cream on your ankle to reduce swelling. Yes, tchnically, he was "on" steroids, a steroid cream, but it doesn't exactly sound like he was "juicing up".

Deberg_1990
08-03-2005, 05:34 PM
So did GOD tell him to take the roids??