PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Report l 8/3 Afternoon (DJ starts)

TRR
08-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Wednesday, Aug. 3, 2005 Afternoon
K.C. Chiefs Training Camp Daily Updates

It was another hot and steamy practice this afternoon with the temperature at 90 degrees. The dew point was 75 degrees with the wind from the sourthwest at 4.2 miles per hour. There were 232 fans in attendance. The sun was out for most of the practice but when it did go behind a small cloud bank, conditions improved slightly.

Defense

Defensive end Eric Hicks did not practice tonight. Coach Dick Vermeil stated that, "he earned a good day off. He is such a soldier, he works so hard and sometimes he works himself down." Hicks will be back practicing on Friday .

Coach Dick Vermeil discussed cornerback Eric Warfield, who is out the first four games of the season due to suspension, during his press conference today. He said that Warfield is doing well, even though he is not getting the reps that he is used to. "He's drilling well, he's practicing well, the reps he's getting, he's doing a good job with. I think that he is doing fine. He understands that he put himself in a situation and that he'll have to battle it out by doing everything right. You provide opportunities for other people to take your job when you make the kind of mistakes that Eric has made but he's a competitor and the best defensive back last year, so there is no reason he can't strive to be the same thing. It just won't be automatic - he's going to have to prove it."

When asked what the No. 1 thing to work on during camp is, Coach Dick Vermeil stated that it is the defense and putting the defensive package together, and utilizing the new talent. He is very excited that the Chiefs have cornerback Patrick Surtain, and that his playing abilities will also make the wide receivers better. He went on to say that in Surtain's career he has proved that "he is one of the best, and he has demonstrated that on the practice field."

Linebacker Gary Stills is very excited that tomorrow is an off day, and that the team doesn't have a curfew tonight. He ended his interview today with "there is no curfew tonight. I'm going out - I'm getting out of here!

Rookie linebacker Boomer Grigsby is still very excited to talk about his first year at camp. He said that it is a learning experience and that players have to adapt swiftly from college to the pros. In the first week alone, he said he learned that the game is much more about technique, rather than strength and speed. "I feel pretty confident in how strong I am, even relative to every other linebacker in the NFL. I'm probably more sore right now than I have ever been in my life but I feel like I have it mentally." Grigsby is also impressed with fellow draft pick and linebacker Derrick Johnson , stating that, "he was born to play the game. He has that natural God given instinct. He showed up right away. He's an incredible player and he's got a great future." Grigsby feels that his contribution to the team will be in special teams, and that is one of the major reasons the Chiefs drafted him this year.

Newly signed free agent Kevin DeRonde practiced today. The three-year NFL Europe veteran was signed by the Chiefs to a one-year deal on Tuesday. DeRonde practiced as a third unit linebacker with Kris Griffin, Rich Scanlon and Scott Fujita.

Linebacker Derrick Johnson practiced with the first unit today along with Kendrell Bell and Kawika Mitchell. Johnson batted down a pass intended for running back Samkon Gado this afternoon during 11-on-11 drills.

During 11-on-11 drills, the Chiefs defense was practicing a nickel defense. A nickel defense is designed with four lineman, two linebackers and five defensive backs. Cornerback Benny Sapp is the Chiefs nickel defender right now. The defense also was working on defensive penetration when on the line of scrimmage, which disrupted a pass by quarterback Todd Collins.

During "sack the quarterback" drills with the bag, defensive end Jimmy Wilkerson completely burned tackle Brett Williams. Wilkerson exploded off the line with great speed leaving Williams only as close as an arm's reach away.

Offense

Running back Larry Johnson got in a lot of work this afternoon at practice. Johnson received many hand offs from quarterback Trent Green in the first series of 11-on-11's. Johnson completed two nice runs into the end zone. In the final series of 11-on-11's Johnson took a hand off from Green and ran the ball 40-yards off a counter play.

Tight end Tony Gonzalez was seen in the end zone more than once today. Quarterback Trent Green passed the ball to Gonzalez who made a 10-yard catch in the end zone. In the final series of 11-on-11's, Gonzalez, who was fully covered, caught an excellent low pass in the end zone from Green.

Also in the final series of 11-on-11's quarterback Todd Collins completed a nice 20-yard pass to wide receiver Jeris McIntyre.
Wide receiver Dante Hall caught a seven-yard pass from quarterback Trent Green, and near the end of the run he said to cornerback Patrick Surtain with a smile, "I saw you, I saw you coming!"

The 11-on-11 drills brought out feisty players this afternoon. During one particular play, linebacker Keyaron Fox and offensive tackle Will Svitek exchanged some words. "What was that, man?" was heard from Svitek when Fox gave him a small shove after the play was over.

Offensive tackle Jordan Black was stopped after practice this afternoon for a few questions. "I just do what the coaches want me to do, that's what it boils down to. They tell me what to do and I do it. Camp is never easy, it's a confidence booster when ever you get some playing experience. You come back out here and feel like you're in more of a rhythm," says Black.
When asked if there was a separation between young guys and the veterans Black said, "Well I truly believe, with this group of guys, age is a state of mind - because they don't play their age, they play younger. It seems like the way they take care of their bodies, stay in shape, and look young, it is passed down to the younger guys."

Special Teams

Rookie punter Dustin Colquitt averaged 45.6 yards in his first set this afternoon with punts of 50, 44, and 43 yards from the Kansas City 20-yard line. Following was punter Nick Murphy , who averaged 51.6 yards with 55, 52, and 48-yard punts from the same spot. In his second set, Colquitt averaged 30 yards from the opponent's 45 while Murphy punted a 45-yarder from the Kansas City 45 then moved up 10 yards to the opponent's 45 and followed with punts of 41 and 42 yards.

Kicker Lawrence Tynes kick off twice today with one returned from the goal line and the other from the one. First unit coverage included Marc Boerigter, Derrick Johnson, Benny Sapp, Boomer Grigsby, Rich Scanlon, Kris Griffin, Keyaron Fox, Jeris McIntyre, William Bartee, and Gary Stills.

Extra, Extra…Read All About It!

After practice William Bartee, Eric Hicks, Shaunard Harts, Jared Allen and Will Shields signed autographs for eager fans.

Tight end/long snapper Kendall Gammon and quarterback Trent Green had some visitors after practice. Gammon's wife, Leslie, arrived shortly into practice with sons Blaise and Drake, as well as Green's expectant wife, Julie, and their two sons, T.J. and Derek. Gammon was asking people for directions to Hudson, Wis. for his wife.

Defensive end Eric Hicks did not practice this afternoon. Coach Dick Vermeil has been rotating through the veterans giving them each a day off. Lucky for Hicks, his day was today as temperatures were unbearably hot and steamy.

Coach Dick Vermeil said that the team did not wear pads this afternoon because they were working on goal line short yardage situations. He also said that last night it started to get too hot, and today's temperature was even worse. Also from last night, running back Priest Holmes had a mild concussion, but is fine and will be back playing this weekend. Running back Larry Johnson couldn't practice this morning, due to the heat, so that was another pivotal reason why full pads were not worn. Vermeil also speculated that there will be an increase in tempo in guard Will Shields' workout pattern starting on Monday. Wide receiver Freddie Mitchell is speculated to be back practicing on Friday. Vermeil stated that Mitchell should be back in town now.

In an interview, long snapper Kendall Gammon talked about how coming to training camp each summer gets easier from a playing standpoint, but more difficult when he's always leaving his family behind. For the past 14 years Gammon has been in the NFL, he said, "I never even thought about not being in the NFL." He is still planning on participating in the league for at least a few more years. "When the day comes when I'm walking with a cane, I'm sure they will kick me out, but until then I'm enjoying it." He still "gets tingles at Arrowhead when they play the music" and even loves the hostile, taunting fans in Oakland. Most rival fans tease him about his "balding head" and wonder what he actually does out on the field, since he's rarely out there during the game. One of his goals each game is to positively affect one family. "I will find one kid during a game and give them a football - even if they are from an opposing team."

Guard Will Shields and linebackers Shawn Barber and Mike Maslowski worked on the empty practice field. Running drills on footwork and catching.

When Shields was walking off the field he was yelling, "I love you," to his fellow offensive lineman and blowing them kisses.

beer bacon
08-03-2005, 08:57 PM
Not only does Shields have a bad back, it now seems that he has also caught the gay :(

headsnap
08-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Not only does Shields have a bad back, it now seems that he has also caught the gay :(

offensive linemen are a tight-knit group...

TRR
08-03-2005, 09:01 PM
LOL!

I put it in bold because it shows that Will is having some fun out there. And after his first solid workout, he seemed to be in good spirits.

tk13
08-03-2005, 09:02 PM
And the legend begins...

ZootedGranny
08-03-2005, 09:03 PM

Not surprised. He's been raping defensive lineman for years.

Shag
08-03-2005, 09:05 PM
I hope Colquitt pulls it together - looks like he's getting schooled by Murphy. I'd hate to see Murphy win the job and have our 3rd rounder get cut...

TRR
08-03-2005, 09:06 PM
I hope Colquitt pulls it together - looks like he's getting schooled by Murphy. I'd hate to see Murphy win the job and have our 3rd rounder get cut...

You can forget about that happening.

Shag
08-03-2005, 09:10 PM
You can forget about that happening.

Colquitt pulling it together, or getting cut? I imagine you doubt he'll be cut, which I agree with - but, he needs to at least be close to his competition, which he's not right now. I know there's a long way to go, but I had higher expectations of a punter taken with a 3rd...

ZootedGranny
08-03-2005, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't worry about Colquitt at all. Firstly, Peterson's ego is too big to admit he was wrong on a pick before the guy even plays. Secondly, the hang time isn't mentioned alongside the yardage. For all we know, Colquitt could've hit a satellite.

During one particular play, linebacker Keyaron Fox and offensive tackle Will Svitek exchanged some words. "What was that, man?" was heard from Svitek when Fox gave him a small shove after the play was over.

Hmmm, Svitek has been in more than a handful of fights, yet backs down when Fox pushes him.

"WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO, BROTHER, WHEN FOXAMANIA RUNS WILD ON YOU?!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
http://media.scout.com/Media/Player/13950_Key-Fox---Spring-2003.JPG

jiveturkey
08-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Jeris McIntrye gets mentioned a lot.

The kickoff coverage team looks like a fast group.

And did anyone get me that Bartee autograph that I've been asking about? PBJ

Deberg_1990
08-03-2005, 09:13 PM

Coach Dick Vermeil stated that, "he earned a good day off. He is such a soldier, he works so hard and Gives a Great Blow Job!."
[/B]

Damn, could Vermiel suck on Hicks nuts any harder?? IM sick of this crap.

beer bacon
08-03-2005, 09:13 PM
Colquitt pulling it together, or getting cut? I imagine you doubt he'll be cut, which I agree with - but, he needs to at least be close to his competition, which he's not right now. I know there's a long way to go, but I had higher expectations of a punter taken with a 3rd...

Murphy has not been outperforming him over the course of the offseason. It looks like he did better today from the short snippet we got, but that is all.

Also, Frank Gansz Jr. did an interview on 610 today, and he is in love with Colquitt, so the kid must be doing something right.

Deberg_1990
08-03-2005, 09:14 PM

This is why you dont draft a PUNTER in the 3rd round! DAMNIT CARL!!

ZootedGranny
08-03-2005, 09:15 PM

LOL @ Hicks having balls.

beer bacon
08-03-2005, 09:15 PM
This is why you dont draft a PUNTER in the 3rd round! DAMNIT CARL!!

Damnit, you are so right! I am putting my DooOOooomed goggles back on right RIGHT NOW.

TRR
08-03-2005, 09:17 PM

I'm glad you can tell that from one snipit of a Training Camp practice. If only I were so blessed.

jiveturkey
08-03-2005, 09:19 PM
I'm glad you can tell that from one snipit of a Training Camp practice. If only I were so blessed.
I've learned from these snipits that Green hates Parker because he never throws it to him. Parker will get cut and it's because he never gets mentioned.

You would think that practice was 20 minutes long with the snipits that we get everyday.

headsnap
08-03-2005, 09:19 PM
Also, Frank Gansz Jr. did an interview on 610 today, and he is in love with Colquitt, so the kid must be doing something right.
First Shields and now this...

our new colors should be Pink and Gold fringe...

TRR
08-03-2005, 09:22 PM
I've learned from these snipits that Green hates Parker because he never throws it to him. Parker will get cut and it's because he never gets mentioned.

You would think that practice was 20 minutes long with the snipits that we get everyday.

And William Bartee has been the Training Camp MVP the last 3 years...Runner up, Richard Smith (when healthy).

kcjayhawks5
08-03-2005, 09:23 PM
whats the deal with priest having a concussion?

TRR
08-03-2005, 09:24 PM
whats the deal with priest having a concussion?

He got rocked by GWes and others during a goal line drill yesterday.

jiveturkey
08-03-2005, 09:29 PM
I also heard on Petro today that Bell is sitting out a lot of plays because he's starting to many fights and is overly aggresive.

I also gathered that the D-Lines looks stinky and all 3 LBer's are the shit (Bell, Michell, and DJ). Surtain is also the shit.

I haven't heard any mention of Wesley.

jiveturkey
08-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Fox is also getting some mentions, he seems to be pushing a lot of people around and starting a couple of fights.

Didn't he beat up Biesel in a meeting last year?

I like that.

Frosty
08-03-2005, 09:34 PM

It's hard to tell from the description what's going on. Those long punts of Murphy's might be line drives. Colquitt is supposed to have great hang time.

ZootedGranny
08-03-2005, 09:35 PM
I also heard on Petro today that Bell is sitting out a lot of plays because he's starting to many fights and is overly aggresive.

Overly aggressive? As far as I'm concerned, we should sign some WRs off the street just to sacrifice to Kendrell.

Shag
08-03-2005, 09:37 PM

Yes, it is a gift. You seem to be good at being a jackass, so you've got that going for you...

Pardon me if I have expectations of a punter taken with a 3rd. You can pick up any old college punter to average 45 yds in practice. Hell, I can kick the ball 45 yds. And yes, that is a gift as well...

jiveturkey
08-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Overly aggressive? As far as I'm concerned, we should sign some WRs off the street just to sacrifice to Kendrell.I agree. Just keep him off of the old ass starters.

jiveturkey
08-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Yes, it is a gift. You seem to be good at being a jackass, so you've got that going for you...

Pardon me if I have expectations of a punter taken with a 3rd. You can pick up any old college punter to average 45 yds in practice. Hell, I can kick the ball 45 yds. And yes, that is a gift as well...
But can you make it dance in mid air and make it almost impossible for professional punt returners to catch? Can you kick it into a corner? Can you make it hang in the air for over 5 seconds?

TRR

I also gathered that the D-Lines looks stinky and all 3 LBer's are the shit (Bell, Michell, and DJ). Surtain is also the shit.

I haven't heard any mention of Wesley.

GWes has been getting quite a few mentions in the reports on the UWRF Training Camp site. He just had a pick the other day, and gave Priest a concussion.

The sad thing is, Jerome Woods hasn't been practicing the last couple of days. He's got fluid on the knee. Might be time to hang um' up Romey.

jiveturkey
GWes has been getting quite a few mentions in the reports on the UWRF Training Camp site. He just had a pick the other day, and gave Priest a concussion.

That's good to hear. :clap:

TRR
08-03-2005, 09:41 PM

Bro, how can you possibly tell that Murphy's outpreforming Colquitt? One practice and you can tell that? Get real.

tk13
08-03-2005, 09:42 PM

Yeah, but Colquitt is supposed to excel in hangtime and directional kicking. That's why we drafted him. If I'm not mistaken, his college numbers aren't even all that impressive, but that's because he excelled at punting to what the situation called for, regardless of the yardage needed. To me, that's probably more important than having somebody that just bangs it 60 yards every time. Plus that doesn't even take into account the funky spin Colquitt puts on the ball... that alone will hopefully net us some turnovers we wouldn't otherwise get this year.

Shag
08-03-2005, 09:42 PM
It's hard to tell from the description what's going on. Those long punts of Murphy's might be line drives. Colquitt is supposed to have great hang time.

Indeed, and I hope that is the case. I guess I just expect good hang time and distance from a punter worthy of a 3rd. Based on what I've heard about him, I have little doubt that he'll improve, but I was just surprised to see the numbers from today...

Chiefs Pantalones
08-03-2005, 09:45 PM
I heard about Priest getting rocked. I'm glad that the defense is finally starting getting that "I'm going to kill you" attitude that was sorely lacking for almost a decade.

Shag
08-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Bro, how can you possibly tell that Murphy's outpreforming Colquitt? One practice and you can tell that? Get real.

Obviously it's still very early, and the season is a long way off. I'm not claiming Colquitt a bust, nor do I think he won't improve before the season starts, nor do I think he was a bad pick (at this point). I was simply expressing my surprise at last year's punter outperforming (based on the stats and the tone of the article) Colquitt, based on the very limited statistics we get about punting in TC. If someone tells me that a punter was drafted in the 3rd, I expect that punter to be something special - to be consistently long with good hang time. Additionally, this was practice, when I would expect a punter to perform better than he would in game conditions.

Again, not freaking out, not going doomsday - just expressing suprise at the few numbers we've been presented with...

TRR
08-03-2005, 09:53 PM
Obviously it's still very early, and the season is a long way off. I'm not claiming Colquitt a bust, nor do I think he won't improve before the season starts, nor do I think he was a bad pick (at this point). I was simply expressing my surprise at last year's punter outperforming (based on the stats and the tone of the article) Colquitt, based on the very limited statistics we get about punting in TC. If someone tells me that a punter was drafted in the 3rd, I expect that punter to be something special - to be consistently long with good hang time. Additionally, this was practice, when I would expect a punter to perform better than he would in game conditions.

Again, not freaking out, not going doomsday - just expressing suprise at the few numbers we've been presented with...

But that's not what you said. You said that Murphy was, "consistently outpreforming Colquitt." That's the quote I had a problem with. I said it was one practice, and you called me a jackass. Consistently means over an extended period of time, does it not?

Shag
08-03-2005, 09:57 PM
But that's not what you said. You said that Murphy was, "consistently outpreforming Colquitt." That's the quote I had a problem with. I said it was one practice, and you called me a jackass. Consistently means over an extended period of time, does it not?

Where did I say that?

Count Alex's Losses
08-03-2005, 10:00 PM
REAL competition in training camp at punter is great.

TRR
08-03-2005, 10:00 PM
Where did I say that?

Read it again, you didn't say that. I just thought you were inferring it.

Logical
08-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Defensive end Eric Hicks did not practice tonight. Coach Dick Vermeil stated that, "he earned a good day off. He is such a soldier, he works so hard and sometimes he works himself down." Hicks will be back practicing on Friday

I think I am going to f*cking puke.:Lin:

Shag
08-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Read it again, you didn't say that. I just thought you were inferring it.

That certainly wasn't what I was getting after - I was simply expressing surprise at the few numbers that are available. Go go internet miscommunication...

:toast:

Mr. Laz
08-03-2005, 10:12 PM

pass the bucket

KChiefsQT
08-03-2005, 10:13 PM

Also from last night, running back Priest Holmes had a mild concussion, but is fine and will be back playing this weekend.

Does anyone know who gave the Priester a, from what it sounds like, pretty good knockdown?

tk13
08-03-2005, 10:17 PM
I think we should put Hicks in the ring of fame the same week Steadman goes in. That would be great.

beer bacon
08-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Does anyone know who gave the Priester a, from what it sounds like, pretty good knockdown?

Wesley during goal line practice last night.

Iowanian
08-03-2005, 10:24 PM
I may be the exception, but I DO NOT like hearing that Derrick Johnson is on KO teams in training camp...

Big Chief Homer
08-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Fujita runnin with the 3rd string OUCH!!!!! :shake: :( :shake:

Woodrow Call
08-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Fujita runnin with the 3rd string OUCH!!!!! :shake: :( :shake:

That says more about the new found depth and talent at the OLB spot then anything. I know its early and he is coming back from injury but right now Fujita has went from possibly the best LB the Chiefs have to 3rd string.

I am down right giddy. :clap:

KCJake
08-03-2005, 11:33 PM
I agree. Im one of the biggest Vermeil backers on the planet, but I have to admit. WTF is up with Vermeil and Hicks? How in the hell is Eric Hicks still starting at DE? That right there tells you how bad our defense really is(was)

How many sacks does Hicks have over the last 3 seasons? Im thinking 1-3??? QB pressure's??? 4 or 5 maybe.

Damn :shake:

TEX
08-03-2005, 11:48 PM
During "sack the quarterback" drills with the bag, defensive end Jimmy Wilkerson completely burned tackle Brett Williams. Wilkerson exploded off the line with great speed leaving Williams only as close as an arm's reach away.

Williams is absolutely the worst Tackle the CHIEFS have had since Jenkins. The guy is just terrible.

Tribal Warfare
I may be the exception, but I DO NOT like hearing that Derrick Johnson is on KO teams in training camp...
Don't worry dude, because even Gonzo started on Special Teams when he was a rookie

beer bacon
I agree. Im one of the biggest Vermeil backers on the planet, but I have to admit. WTF is up with Vermeil and Hicks? How in the hell is Eric Hicks still starting at DE? That right there tells you how bad our defense really is(was)

How many sacks does Hicks have over the last 3 seasons? Im thinking 1-3??? QB pressure's??? 4 or 5 maybe.

Damn :shake:

Hicks led the team in QB hurries last year.

KCJake
08-03-2005, 11:55 PM
I just looked it up. I was wrong.

"Hicks recorded a team-high 43 QB pressures in 2004 and led all
defensive linemen with 63 tackles (29 solo). The eight-year veteran
ranks fifth in team history with 40.5 sacks (-258.0 yards) and needs
11.0 more to surpass Mike Bell for second. He may not get the
recognition of a top sack artist in the NFL, he is gaining a
reputation for disrupting numerous plays."

Pants
08-04-2005, 12:07 AM
Coaches love hard workers, I'm guessing he is one. As is Bartee, that's why they're on the team.

Wallcrawler
08-04-2005, 02:56 AM
That depends on where those numbers came from. If it came from NFL.com, then Id say they are reliable.

However, the Chiefs team site has had a knack for padding the stats of their players in recent years.

I dont know where those hurries by Hicks came from. When I watch the Chiefs on Sundays, Eric Hicks is all but invisible. I never hear his name called, and I rarely see him make any tackles.

I never was a big fan of the pure run stop defensive ends, which is what I guess they are making Hicks out to be since his sack numbers are so bad. Im more of a guy that wants the defensive ends in the QB's face all game long.

But in typical Dick Vermiel fashion, he treats these guys like they are in elementary school, and not in a business where you have to get the job done.

No, boys and girls, you dont have to be good at your position to play for Dick Vermiel. You just gotta try really really hard, and if you just cant get it, good ol' Dick will give you an A for effort and let you keep your job, no matter how badly youre exposed on gameday as a complete and utter worthless sack of crap.

the Talking Can
08-04-2005, 02:59 AM
"Hicks recorded a team-high 43 QB pressures in 2004

that's pure bullshit.....

Logical
08-04-2005, 03:02 AM
that's pure bullshit.....Don't you just love those stats that can be conjured out of thin air because they cannot be verified.

the Talking Can
08-04-2005, 03:35 AM
Indeed, and I hope that is the case. I guess I just expect good hang time and distance from a punter worthy of a 3rd. Based on what I've heard about him, I have little doubt that he'll improve, but I was just surprised to see the numbers from today...

this is from a report on WI:

"In this initial session Punter Dustin Colquitt had an outstanding practice. After this mornings practice, Coach Vermeil commented about some inconsistency from both Punters, but that was not the case this afternoon.

Colquitt had only one miss hit in a dozen tries, booming some of the highest punts I have seen, all with great hang-time. Punter Nick Murphy also had a good day, but could not match Colquitt’s amazing height, distance, or hang-time. Not to be out-done, Return Specialist Dante Hall did not drop a single punt, until the punt coverage team worked on downing punts inside the 10. Offensive Tackle Will Svitek downed one at the 1-yard line that drew praise from Special Teams Coach Frank Gansz, Jr. Svitek showed impressive speed and agility for a large man."

the Talking Can
08-04-2005, 03:37 AM
wow...here's another piece, on DJ!:

"The player of the day on defense was definitely Outside Linebacker Derrick Johnson. This guy is a freak! Its like he has been playing pro ball for years, there will not be any adjustment period needed. On one particular play, after Johnson was blocked by Brian Waters and spun completely around and had his back to the ball carrier, the rookie came literally out of nowhere, flew past fellow defenders, to push Running Back Larry Johnson out of bounds for a minimal gain. The fans watching loved it and so did some of his teammates.

I was standing next to John Clayton of ESPN who predicted that Johnson would win the Rookie Defensive Player of the year award. More on my chat with Clayton in an upcoming article, but he was so impressed that he took out his cell phone and called someone and described the play that Johnson had made as “awesome”, and “amazing”."

tk13
08-04-2005, 03:49 AM

"The player of the day on defense was definitely Outside Linebacker Derrick Johnson. This guy is a freak! Its like he has been playing pro ball for years, there will not be any adjustment period needed. On one particular play, after Johnson was blocked by Brian Waters and spun completely around and had his back to the ball carrier, the rookie came literally out of nowhere, flew past fellow defenders, to push Running Back Larry Johnson out of bounds for a minimal gain. The fans watching loved it and so did some of his teammates.

I was standing next to John Clayton of ESPN who predicted that Johnson would win the Rookie Defensive Player of the year award. More on my chat with Clayton in an upcoming article, but he was so impressed that he took out his cell phone and called someone and described the play that Johnson had made as “awesome”, and “amazing”."
I still don't think people really realize the steal we got when this guy fell to us... I thought before the draft that he was the player most likely to make an immediate impact, and I think he found the perfect team to do just that.

ct
08-04-2005, 08:52 AM

Now THAT is what I like to hear!!!
:clap: :drool: :clap:

Can't take on and shed the blockers? This is a Pro Bowl Gaurd he took on, escaped, and made the play on the ball carrier. OH YEAH!!

ptlyon
08-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Where's all these reports coming from?

htismaqe
08-04-2005, 09:38 AM
I can't wait to see Derrick Johnson on the field

TRR
08-04-2005, 09:40 AM

I could tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya.

Link: http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/prev_updates.php

the Talking Can
08-04-2005, 10:04 AM

I posted a couple of paragraphs from Warpaint Illustrated.

ptlyon
08-04-2005, 10:52 AM
I posted a couple of paragraphs from Warpaint Illustrated.

K - thanks - that is what I was wondering.

Brock
08-04-2005, 10:54 AM

Is that the same thing as an almost-tackle?

TRR
08-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Is that the same thing as an almost-tackle?

To Hicks' credit, I have seen him force the QB to step up into the pocket on numerous occasions. The problem is, Sims is usually 10 yards downfield by that time.

Kclee
08-04-2005, 11:17 AM

Yeah, but what the stat fails to mention is that 3/4 of the hurries are on Trent Green.

At the buffet...

Hicks: Damn, hurry up Trent, I'm hungry!
Green: Chill man, quit your pushing.

In the restroom...

Hicks: (banging on stall door) Hurry up Trent, I got a turtle head poking out here!
Green: WTF Hicks?
Hicks: I found a loop hole in the QB hurries stat.