PDA

View Full Version : Young Lineman in the making... Scott Krehbiel

Saggysack
08-03-2005, 11:35 PM
Pratt lineman has grabbed college coaches' attention
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports/12287573.htm
By Jeffery Parsons

PRATT - Already so tall and reasonably gifted, Scott Krehbiel was pretty sure he knew what the future held at a young age.

He was going to be a basketball player.

Krehbiel played in games around his hometown of Pratt and competed in numerous MAYB tournaments. He enjoyed hoops and was on his way to being 6-foot-5 by eighth grade.

In middle school, though, Krehbiel tried football and quickly discovered a wonderful facet to the game.

"You can't foul out in football," he said.

And, therefore, he was sold. Krehbiel started concentrating on the three-point stances instead of three-point plays.

Last summer, prior to his junior season at Pratt High, he was in the shadows of the Rocky Mountains when that passion really began to pay off. Krehbiel attended a camp at Colorado State, during which CSU coach Sonny Lubick pulled him aside and offered him a scholarship.

All Lubick needed to see was an offensive lineman who combined Krehbiel's size -- he's now 6-7, 272 pounds -- with enough athleticism to run a 40-yard-dash in less than five seconds.

Soon, the recruiting Web sites became aware of the monster left tackle prospect in the middle of Kansas.

"I'd been sending out stuff since his sophomore year without much interest," Pratt coach Jeff Fuss said. "They just don't make many kids like him. Look how big he is, and he has a 31-inch vertical. But then he got that special invite to the CSU camp. Then Rivals.com got the information.

"Overnight, everybody and their dog was calling, wanting film and visits."

Krehbiel is rated as the state's best senior prospect. He also has formal scholarship offers from Kansas, Kansas State and Arkansas. Dozens of other schools -- including Nebraska, Miami, Michigan and Oklahoma --also have shown interest.

His stock is so high that after seeing Krehbiel at an Oklahoma State camp, noted recruiting analyst Tom Lemming advised him to skip a huge Nike camp in Manhattan.

"I was thinking about skipping it, anyway," Krehbiel said. "It was right after golf season, and I wasn't in the best shape."

Yes, Krehbiel is an all-league golfer, one whose size is actually more intimidating than the length of his drives. It's just another way Krehbiel differs from the stereotypical blue-chip prospect.

He does what he enjoys and what he's expected to do, which is namely working at Pratt's grain elevators. Krehbiel's father, Bruce, runs the local co-op, and Scott knew he'd be working there just like his two older brothers and two older sisters.

"After my freshman year, my first day on the job was during harvest," he said. "I worked from 8 a.m. to midnight, and it wasn't easy work. I think that's been a big part of things for me. You have to be mentally tougher to work harvest like that. So going to sessions in the weight room doesn't seem that hard."

The work is a little counter-productive, though. Fuss envisions Krehbiel getting to at least 315 pounds "pretty darn easy" when he plays collegiately. He wouldn't mind Krehbiel adding some of that weight now.

"But he's awfully busy working at those grain elevators, especially during harvest," Fuss said. "He's sweating a lot. By the time harvest gets over, he probably weighs less."

The long days seem natural to Krehbiel. What doesn't is all this attention from major football programs and their fans. Though he lives and dies with his Kansas City Chiefs, he's spent more time pondering opening an athletic store in Pratt -- which would carry size-18 shoes for guys like himself -- than he has about playing in the NFL.

He's genuinely more concerned about his senior season -- wanting classmates like the one who lines up next to him on defense, 5-9, 170-pound Denis Fairleigh, to go out with a bang -- than he is about getting a message from Mark Mangino or Bill Snyder.

"These guys are the ones I've grown up with," Krehbiel said. "And no one else treats me different around here, either. To me and to them, we're just the same people we always see around town on Saturdays and Sundays. And we're all pretty excited about this season."

Krehbiel thinks he'll visit CSU and K-State, but he doesn't plan to worry about any of the recruiting until after the season. He checks recruiting sites every few weeks "just to see what they're saying about everybody," but his work at the grain elevator doesn't leave much time to kill.

"Really, things haven't changed much for me," he said. "It's only hit me once or twice that this is all happening. But it's pretty nice that it is."

Saggysack
08-03-2005, 11:37 PM
And a Kansas City Chiefs fan too. :thumb:

Rain Man
08-04-2005, 10:19 AM
"I'd been sending out stuff since his sophomore year without much interest," Pratt coach Jeff Fuss said. "They just don't make many kids like him. Look how big he is, and he has a 31-inch vertical. But then he got that special invite to the CSU camp. Then Rivals.com got the information.

"Overnight, everybody and their dog was calling, wanting film and visits."

Rinnnnng, Rinnnnnnng.

Hello?

Woof! Woof! Bowowowowowoww.

Is this Joe Paterno?

Saulbadguy
08-04-2005, 10:23 AM
He is the #1 rated player in Kansas. Alot of teams are recruiting him, including KSU, KU, CSU, Miami, Nebraska, Arkansas, and Okie State.