PDA

View Full Version : Is the name of the college you go to important?

Chiefs Pantalones
08-03-2005, 11:57 PM
Or does that only matter when you get your masters, in your opinion?

If you could take it all back, would you have gone to a different school to save you the debt? How important is prestige in America?

Chiefs Pantalones
08-03-2005, 11:58 PM
Please don't congratulate me on posting my very first non-stupid, somewhat-serious thread. Or you can...it's totally up to you.

Rausch
08-04-2005, 12:00 AM
Actually showing up in high school and perhaps even studying makes these decisions much easier.

keg in kc
08-04-2005, 12:02 AM
It is now. It wasn't when I went.

But only as a matter of pride. It doesn't affect my life in any way.

Which I guess could be a sign that it is important. Maybe if I'd gone to a better school, I'd be less of a loser now.

ENDelt260
08-04-2005, 12:02 AM
Haha... I think therefore I hurt?

Rausch
08-04-2005, 12:03 AM
Haha... I think therefore I hurt?

No, more like: "I didn't, therefore I will..."

J Diddy
08-04-2005, 12:04 AM
Just went to college for a few months. Maybe that's how I landed such a fine job as a manager of a Domino's....

Reaper16
08-04-2005, 12:08 AM
I'm a student at Northwest Missouri State University, so I guess not, even though Northwest has a good reputation. Then again, I'm only going there because MU wouldn't give me a full ride (close, but no free cigar) and Northwest would.

ENDelt260
08-04-2005, 12:10 AM
I remember meeting a grad senior Comp Sci from Northwest that didn't know what a compiler was.

luv
08-04-2005, 12:16 AM
I went to SMS, excuse me, MSU for a few months.

Reaper16
08-04-2005, 12:16 AM
I went to SMS, excuse me, MSU for a few months.

It ain't August 28th yet.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-04-2005, 12:22 AM
I'm a student at Northwest Missouri State University, so I guess not, even though Northwest has a good reputation. Then again, I'm only going there because MU wouldn't give me a full ride (close, but no free cigar) and Northwest would.

Funny you mention it.

I'm transfering to either NWMSU or KU, in January. I'll find out later in August how much both will give me. I've already visited KU, I love it there. Everytime I go there, I love it even more (probably because I hook up with a girl each time). It's awesome. I will be automatically accepted in their school of communications and will be given a job with the Kansan if I go there. I'm making my trip and meeting with the communications person, whoever, blah blah, in mid-August. I have friends at both schools, both trying to sway me each way. It's saying something though that I've never taken the time to go up there until now though, or maybe not.

Pants
08-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Funny you mention it.

I'm transfering to either NWMSU or KU, in January. I'll find out later in August how much both will give me. I've already visited KU, I love it there. Everytime I go there, I love it even more (probably because I hook up with a girl each time). It's awesome. I will be automatically accepted in their school of communications and will be given a job with the Kansan if I go there. I'm making my trip and meeting with the communications person, whoever, blah blah, in mid-August. I have friends at both schools, both trying to sway me each way. It's saying something though that I've never taken the time to go up there until now though, or maybe not.

If you go to KU we need to hook up. BTW, are you transfering from a grad school, or you an undergrad?

Reaper16
08-04-2005, 12:26 AM
Funny you mention it.

For what it's worth...

Lawrence >>>>>>>>>>>> Maryville

Taco John
08-04-2005, 12:29 AM

If you could take it all back, would you have gone to a different school to save you the debt? How important is prestige in America?

Personally, I think going to an accredited State Univeristy (or prestegious private U) is going to get you a job easier than if you didn't... especially if the person doing the hiring went to a state university.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-04-2005, 12:33 AM
If you go to KU we need to hook up. BTW, are you transfering from a grad school, or you an undergrad?

We shall. I'm still undergrad. If I go to KU, I'll stay there to get my masters. I hope they let me in their program. Hell, if I go there I'll get my freakin' BA there, so they better let me in!! lol

Chiefs Pantalones
08-04-2005, 12:35 AM
For what it's worth...

Lawrence >>>>>>>>>>>> Maryville

If I go to NW, we will hook up as well.

Tell me, what do you like about it there, what do you not like about it there? I tell you, if they give me what they gave you, it'll be hard to turn them down.

go bowe
08-04-2005, 12:41 AM
of course i'm prejudiced, but i think it is important to go to the school with the greatest recognition, and that would definitely be ku...

also, speaking from experience, a larger school with a happenin' town is a much better experience (new haven, ct) than a little school in a very small town (allendale, michigan)...

i'd say go ku all the way...

but remember, being a ku grad doesn't automatically get you into their masters program, you have to have the grades in your undergraduate career...

whichever way you go, good luck to you...

and, remember, you have to wear pants when you go to class... :p :p :p

RedDread
08-04-2005, 12:44 AM

I dunno yet, but I'll tell you in 4 years 4 months and 14 days

Chiefs Pantalones
08-04-2005, 12:46 AM
of course i'm prejudiced, but i think it is important to go to the school with the greatest recognition, and that would definitely be ku...

also, speaking from experience, a larger school with a happenin' town is a much better experience (new haven, ct) than a little school in a very small town (allendale, michigan)...

i'd say go ku all the way...

but remember, being a ku grad doesn't automatically get you into their masters program, you have to have the grades in your undergraduate career...

whichever way you go, good luck to you...

and, remember, you have to wear pants when you go to class... :p :p :p

ROFL Thanks, gobo. It all comes down to money though, for me. I don't want to be in that much debt when I get out of school for good. If I go to NWMSU, I will go to MU for my grad school (Sorry jayhawk fans). It wouldn't be that expensive there, because I'll be instate and stuff. It all comes down to money, and I'll find out how much I get in a month.

Reaper16
08-04-2005, 12:48 AM
If I go to NW, we will hook up as well.

Tell me, what do you like about it there, what do you not like about it there? I tell you, if they give me what they gave you, it'll be hard to turn them down.

What was your ACT? They gave me the money based mostly on my score of 32. (Which would be a 33 or maybe a 34 if my math score wasnt ass; bringing down my average)

I like it at Northwest. The classes are good; everything "school" wise is much to my liking. The town of Maryville is a bore, all in all. I have to go into St. Joeseph (like a half an hour away) for my specific music/video game/Shatto Milk products needs. But the town I come from (Excelsior Springs) is a lot like Maryville, so I'm used to the feeling of it.

The good points about KU, from an outsider/MU fan tucking sports bias away is that it's a state university(better name recognition/prestige) that is affordable, really. Plus Lawrence has some good music joints and was the host city to my treasured expereince of partying with the members of swedish melodic-death metal bands Dark Tranquilty and Hypocrisy.

Pants
08-04-2005, 12:48 AM
ROFL Thanks, gobo. It all comes down to money though, for me. I don't want to be in that much debt when I get out of school for good. If I go to NWMSU, I will go to MU for my grad school (Sorry jayhawk fans). It wouldn't be that expensive there, because I'll be instate and stuff. It all comes down to money, and I'll find out how much I get in a month.

Where are you transfering from and why? I lost all my scholarships at KU over last year. The only thing I had to pay for was my housing... not any more, heh.

Pants
08-04-2005, 12:50 AM
What was your ACT? They gave me the money based mostly on my score of 32. (Which would be a 33 or maybe a 34 if my math score wasnt ass; bringing down my average)

I like it at Northwest. The classes are good; everything "school" wise is much to my liking. The town of Maryville is a bore, all in all. I have to go into St. Joeseph (like a half an hour away) for my specific music/video game/Shatto Milk products needs. But the town I come from (Excelsior Springs) is a lot like Maryville, so I'm used to the feeling of it.

The good points about KU, from an outsider/MU fan tucking sports bias away is that it's a state university(better name recognition/prestige) that is affordable, really. Plus Lawrence has some good music joints and was the host city to my treasured expereince of partying with the members of swedish melodic-death metal bands Dark Tranquilty and Hypocrisy.

Damn, I got a 31 and didn't get a full ride. I only applied to KU, though. I'm lazy, you see.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-04-2005, 12:56 AM
I'm transfering from MWSC, the crappiest school in the universe. I hate it. The professors suck, the facilities suck, some of the people suck, few hot chicks, though, not as much as Lawrence. Lawrence makes this place look like a grade school as far chicks go.

I have a 3.9 GPA and will be a junior come january, and checked out all my credits with both schools. I'm pretty much cool with most of them, more transfer to NW though than KU, still enough though to keep me at junior for both. If anyone wants a major in sports communications, don't come to MWSC...it's terrible. No support hardly.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-04-2005, 01:02 AM

I've talked to Bearcat (poster here) he is a NW alum, he has nothing but good things to say about them too. I'm visiting up there in a couple weeks.

go bowe
08-04-2005, 01:05 AM
ROFL Thanks, gobo. It all comes down to money though, for me. I don't want to be in that much debt when I get out of school for good. If I go to NWMSU, I will go to MU for my grad school (Sorry jayhawk fans). It wouldn't be that expensive there, because I'll be instate and stuff. It all comes down to money, and I'll find out how much I get in a month.that's part of the point i was trying to make...

while it may cost you more in the short term and you may have a larger debt to repay, but you will probably make much more over the long haul with a degree from a big name school...

starting salary is likely to be substantially greater and the "better" school gives you a leg up when it comes to promotion time...

(at least that's the way it worked for me)

KCChiefsMan
08-04-2005, 01:14 AM
Funny you mention it.

well if you choose KU good luck. Lawrence is a great town and I love it here! go to the Phoggy Dogg in Lawrence some time and chances are you will see me there at the pool tables!

DaKCMan AP
08-04-2005, 05:09 AM
Going to an in-state public university saves some ca$h (plus scholarships pay for tuition and then some) and Florida has a pretty good reputation and ranks quite well among other public engineering schools.

Uatu
08-04-2005, 05:58 AM
Maybe if you went to Harvard or got your degree from Sally Struthers. Otherwise employers don't care.

I went to a directional public state uni and am working with a lot of people who paid double what I got for my education, and are making the same salary.

Skip Towne
08-04-2005, 05:59 AM
This reminds me of the HR person that had to choose between a KU grad and an SMS grad for the position to be filled. Their qualifications were equal so he decided to have them report back the next day with a poem about.....oh....Timbuktu. The next day they both showed up with their poems. The KU guy went first: Across the burning desert sand, I spied a desert caravan, beneath the azure skies of blue, Destination! Timbuktu. Oh, that's beautiful thought the HR guy. The SMS guy can't possible top that but I have to give him a chance. The SMS guy starts: Tim and I ahunting went, saw three maidens in a tent. Since they were three and we were two, I bucked one and Tim bucked two.

Mile High Mania
08-04-2005, 06:28 AM
Maybe if you plan on being a doctor, possibly a lawyer... then the actual school you attended may carry more weight. Engineering, Sales, IT, etc... I'm not certain it matters.

cdcox
08-04-2005, 07:12 AM
I'm an engineering prof at a major state university. If you are definitely planning to go to grad school, I doubt your UG will make too much difference. It is important to go to a decent school and to do extremely well so that you can get into the graduate school of your choice, and work with the top facutly at that school. At a large state university, most faculty time is designated to graduate students, research, writing research grants and publishing. The pressure to excel in these areas is enormous. The faculty at a smaller school may spend more of their time on UG teaching. The main benefit to going to a larger school for your UG is that your peer group may be stronger academically. That means the professors could make the courses more challenging because the academic abilities of the students are greater.

At the graduate level, it becomes much more important to go to a school that has nationally recognized strength in your area. Even beyond that, it is important to work directly with the faculty members that have the best reputation. Some of this depends on your future career plans. You mention sports communications, but exactly what do you want to do? At the graduate level, any degree from KU will likely be viewed strongly in the state of Kansas and the Kansas City area because many KU grads reside there. What are your prospects of landing a job in this geographic area? If you need to cast your net wider to get a job, a communications degree from KU may not carry as much weight. I know MU has a reputation as a good journalism school, that could be recognized more strongly outside the immediate area. But again, it is important to work with the best faculty members, who have the most contacts, that can open up opportunities for you after graduation.

In summary my advice:

At the UG level, the most important thing is to excel at your coursework. The actual school is less important, as long as it has at least a decent reputation. Your goal is to get into the grad school of your choice.

At the Grad level, the program is more important than the Unviersity. Get into the best program you can, and work with the best faculty member that will have you. Identify where jobs might be obtained for your training, and select a graduate program that will be recognized in a large enough geographic area to give you a good shot at employment.

phisherman
08-04-2005, 07:42 AM
Funny you mention it.

all i'll say is, trust me, choose lawrence.

maryville is a s**thole.

lived there, partied there
the biggest out of school activity there is the Ag Club...the campus rodeo is one of the biggest deals of the year

bp

Otter
08-04-2005, 07:49 AM
As far as 4 year schools from my experience unless you're graduating from MIT, Harvard, Yale or a school of that caliber, no, in general it doesn't matter.

I wouldn't want to go to a small 4 year school although. I've talked to several managers that look down on that for some reason. Never asked why. I guess because it didn't concern me.

ChiTown
08-04-2005, 07:51 AM
You can get your undergrad anywhere and start off at the same pay scale at similar job responsibilities with just about anyone/anywhere in the US. But, where you get your post graduate makes a lot of big difference. I got my MBA from Northwestern in the early 90's. I can assure you that had I decided to do a program like Phoenix, or even KU or KSU, that it would have only marginally helped my pay scale. Go for the gusto when you get your post grad. The better the program, the bigger the pay hike. Not only that, but your job oportunities will be vastly greater when you exit a top 10-20 Program as well.

Good luck!

Bearcat
08-04-2005, 08:11 AM
I've talked to Bearcat (poster here) he is a NW alum, he has nothing but good things to say about them too. I'm visiting up there in a couple weeks.

For the most part... I think it's better than a larger school for many reasons... class size, computer in every dorm room, going through major classes with a lot of the same students, sitting in front of a computer while in a computer class, the progress on new dorms, the new student union, etc.

The downside, which many people don't think about when entering college, is that their Career Services Department sucks. If you don't make time to go to the Heart of America Career Day at UMKC or go to other schools, it's hard to find jobs while at Northwest.

The list (http://info.nwmissouri.edu/~career/CAREERDAY.HTM) is basically the same every year, and when you narrow down companies based on your major, the list isn't very long.

This isn't meant to scare anyone off... like I said, there's still options of going to UMKC's career fair, or going to Columbia or KU. Just don't get lazy about it and rely on NW.

beavis
08-04-2005, 08:23 AM
all i'll say is, trust me, choose lawrence.

maryville is a s**thole.

lived there, partied there
the biggest out of school activity there is the Ag Club...the campus rodeo is one of the biggest deals of the year

bp
Well, you obviously didn't get out much. Ag Club, are you kidding me?

beavis
08-04-2005, 08:25 AM
The downside, which many people don't think about when entering college, is that their Career Services Department sucks. If you don't make time to go to the Heart of America Career Day at UMKC or go to other schools, it's hard to find jobs while at Northwest.

I think I saw the inside of their office one time in my 4 years there. Otherwise, they were pretty much non-existant.

The faculty is hit and miss, which I figure it is just about anywhere. Find out how the good advisor is in your department and latch on to them.

Rain Man
08-04-2005, 08:35 AM
My personal opinion is that you're best off going to a well-regarded state university for your undergrad, and then (forget the cost) going to the school with the best reputation possible for your graduate degree.

As an employer, I downgrade applicants if they went to a small private school that has no name recognition, or a small public university that's obviously a stepchild. That doesn't mean I won't hire someone from there, but they have a harder route to get hired.

On the grad school side, I flat-out won't hire someone from one of those on-line universities or "life experience" universities. It's worse than not having a degree, because frankly, it looks fake. As consultants, our degrees come up constantly, and clients won't hire me if I'm bringing a team from DeVry and the University of Phoenix. (I'm not meaning to insult those universities, but it's true.)

Bearcat
08-04-2005, 11:07 AM
On the grad school side, I flat-out won't hire someone from one of those on-line universities or "life experience" universities. It's worse than not having a degree, because frankly, it looks fake. As consultants, our degrees come up constantly, and clients won't hire me if I'm bringing a team from DeVry and the University of Phoenix. (I'm not meaning to insult those universities, but it's true.)

I've heard different things about this... Like you and ChiTown mentioned, I've heard that it makes a bigger difference where you get your graduate degree, but I've also heard other people with graduate degrees say even though there's obviously a difference between a top 10-20 program and a small private school, as long as you don't go the NAU/Phoenix route, you'll be fine as far as job opportunities.

Since I'm in one, I'm always interested in what employers have to say about different graduate programs. I'm taking MBA classes at Avila University, which you've probably never heard of, but I've heard good things about the program, and quite frankly, the classes I've had are better than anything I took at NWMSU. I'm hoping, since I learned the GPA lesson the hard way, that the program itself isn't a factor in getting interviews, just because it's not a huge school or doesn't a nationally-recognized program.

I totally agree that online schools look fake... NAU has the saying "be a full time student one day or one night a week" ..... uh, no...
I talked to someone in the program that tried Phoenix, and they said it terribly slow, and that they set you up in groups, and you're in those groups for as long as you're in the program. Bad group? Eh.

phisherman
08-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Well, you obviously didn't get out much. Ag Club, are you kidding me?

if i never got out much when i was there, why don't you tell everyone what the biggest extra-curriculur group is at NW...

well, when i attended school there, it was the NW Ag Club...

maybe times have changed, but i've been back a few times in the past few years and it hasn't changed a bit...every decent bar is filled w/ d chis and sig eps and i can't get away from the armies of clones

bp

phisherman
08-04-2005, 11:20 AM
to drive home my facts, here's text copied and pasted from Northwest's web site:
Agriculture Club
The largest student organization on campus, Ag Club sponsors activities such as Barnwarming, roping and showmanship contests, and intramural sports. The only membership requirement is an interest in Agriculture!

I'll give you the link if you want it.

bp

Braincase
08-04-2005, 02:06 PM
I went to WSU because that's where the scholly was, but if I had to do it all over again, I would've gone to KU 100%. Not that WSU is a bad school, but for me and my interests, KU would've been a better fit. I went out for sports, but Division III talent at a Division I school won't get you too far. If I wanted to really do well in sports, I should've gone to Emporia State or another small school.

For hardcore disciplines, scrutinize. Find the best state school if you want engineering or business. Read the resumes about the professors. VIsit the schools and see how they react to you. Do they want YOU, or do they act like they've already got you? I'd pick the school that made me feel wanted and special over the school that treated me like I had a tag on my ear.

Ultra Peanut
08-04-2005, 02:27 PM
If you go to Morehead State, you will see people who have nothing to do with your school wearing hats bearing its name.

Iowanian
08-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Personally, I don't think it matters if the school has a solid program in whatever it is you are going to do.

I think I'd be as far as I am now, if I'd gotten an AA at a CC, and then finished at NW. If you're going to be a Doctor, Lawyer, Nuclear Chemist or something....yeah....I think it will matter. If you're not, I'd recommend checking out the depts your interested in.

For what its worth, I like NW alot. I do think they took my parking tickets and expanded the stadium, built new locker rooms and updated the buildings, and added some new housing though....It was a much nicer campus last time I was there.

In some areas, a degree from NWMSU means more than the same degree from KSU....Education and Geography to name a couple.

I think Grad school might mean a little more by name.....but for the same reasons.

Rain Man
08-04-2005, 02:43 PM
In thinking about this a little more, my answer may be somewhat myopic. In my profession, we're citing our resumes and our degrees constantly because we're always interviewing for projects. Therefore, pedigree is very important because we're always "looking for a job", even though we're employed.

In most other jobs, pedigree really only comes into play when you're trying to get hired, and after that it's not an issue. Granted, it's important to reach that first rung of the ladder, but afterwards, performance takes precedence. That's not true in my particular profession.

StcChief
08-04-2005, 02:46 PM
The reputation of the program at the school is what matters. eng UMR etc.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-04-2005, 03:05 PM
NW is getting more and more known for their communications department. I want to either go into TV broadcasting or radio. Both KU and NW have given some great internships to students. I was most surprised by NW's, they had some connections with the Tonight Show and got a student an internship there last year.

If I decide to choose to transfer to KU, even though they aren't well-known for communications, I'm sure the name would give me a job. And like I mentioned, if I decide to go their, I will get my masters there. If I go to NW, I will get my masters at MU which is a very well-known school for communications. So would that offset going to KU, because getting my masters at MU would be like a big deal because of their emphasis in communications? In thinking about it more, I'm thinking it really all comes down to the people I meet at the schools I go to, rather than where I go for both degrees, or am I insane? lol

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Personally, where I went to school turned out not to matter squat when it came time for me to get a job. In fact, I'm not working anywhere near what I studied in school (major or minor).

However, I am working for a Fortune 500 company and definitely making a comfortable living as a tech writer based more on my experiences in the military than anything I ever did in school.

Come to think of it, all my company asked was "Do you have a degree?".

Iowanian
08-04-2005, 04:18 PM
The Degree and the School name never get you the job. They get your resume' put in the "look further into this applicant" pile.

Its your personality, ability to make the interviewer believe you're capable and knowledgeable that gets you the job.

I have been asked about my college degree and some coursework in interviews. Hell, the other day, a guy was pissed off in my office, and as part of his "you young punk, what do you know about this subject that gives you the right to have and say your opinion on my project"....I was forced to begin my (ever so difficultly held in check non-Iowanian smackdown)reply with a listing of my degrees and coursework as the beginning of my qualifications to have an informed opinion. Then, I repeatedly kicked him in the Taint with my Employment skill set for the past 10 years........