PDA

View Full Version : Holy hell is that my tire that just passed!

Biohazard
08-04-2005, 01:20 PM
(All while running late for work)On my way in this morning I noticed that my truck had a slight vibration to it, not thinking anything of it I kept driving. I turned a corner and it felt really funny so I stopped to check the tires and lugnuts, everything checked out fine. Im about 1/2 mile from my work and am coming to an intersection to turn, my back left TIRE AND WHEEL pass me, the assend of my truck falls to the ground and comes to a sliding halt! Glad that I was coming to stop and not running 60 mph, and have it come off when I meet that 18 wheeler on the bridge (OUCH)The lugs had all came off and where sitting there in the road. Lucky me it didnt mess anything up and I got it jacked up and fixed. Bad thing is I was 1hr late for work. :cuss: From now on if I feel anything abnormal Im stopping right there and double checking everything. Word of advice to those with aftermarket aluminum wheels check the torq of the lugs often!!!!

KCTitus
08-04-2005, 01:21 PM
forgive me for laughing, but that thread title struck me quite funny.

ptlyon
08-04-2005, 01:23 PM
...I stopped to check the tires and lugnuts, everything checked out fine.

Apparently didn't check them out very well

KC Kings
08-04-2005, 01:25 PM
I opened this thread expecting to read about a bathroom/pooping experience. This was a lot better than I expected.

Biohazard
08-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Apparently didn't check them out very well
The lugs are set in real far and require a deep socket which I didnt have with me, had to go barrow one to fix it, I tried to move the tires and shake them but there may have been to much weight on them. I should have looked harder but then again I was running late for work!

RINGLEADER
08-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Same thing happened to me last month...but it was just my tire that had come off and peeled off like a doughnut...

ptlyon
08-04-2005, 01:37 PM
How does a doughnut peel off? :hmmm:

Donger
08-04-2005, 01:37 PM
My Triumph Spitfire once vomited its entire exhaust assembly, from the manifold to the exhaust pipe, going around a corner. It was pretty funny.

morphius
08-04-2005, 01:38 PM
I saw that happen to a truck up on Dodge Street in Omaha once, guy had a nice truck, lift kit and huge tires. Front driver wheel came off, went all the way across the grass median, across the East bound traffic (luckily everyone avoided it), off into the grass, down a hill, jumping up all the way. Finally it came to a rest in the nice little stream at the bottom of the hill. I don't know how deep that stream was, but I couldn't see any of the tire above water.

ptlyon
08-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Ya, but how hot was the chick he was with?

Bwana
08-04-2005, 01:45 PM
:shake:

MOhillbilly
08-04-2005, 01:46 PM
i had the same thing happen once.

Biohazard
08-04-2005, 01:51 PM
I saw that happen to a truck up on Dodge Street in Omaha once, guy had a nice truck, lift kit and huge tires. Front driver wheel came off, went all the way across the grass median, across the East bound traffic (luckily everyone avoided it), off into the grass, down a hill, jumping up all the way. Finally it came to a rest in the nice little stream at the bottom of the hill. I don't know how deep that stream was, but I couldn't see any of the tire above water.
My wheel and tire went across the intersection almost got hit by a van, jumped the bank and went about 100 yards into ditch, and I was only running about 30 mph at the time! Believe me I felt like one of Jerry's kids sitting there in my truck in the road, watching my tire roll away! :huh:

Biohazard
08-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Its all funny now that I think about it, just glad it was'nt worse!

morphius
08-04-2005, 01:56 PM
My wheel and tire went across the intersection almost got hit by a van, jumped the bank and went about 100 yards into ditch, and I was only running about 30 mph at the time! Believe me I felt like one of Jerry's kids sitting there in my truck in the road, watching my tire roll away! :huh:
Yeah, that has got to be a nice little kick to the head. Of course the walk of shame as you go to get your tire is bad enough, but having to roll it back for all the new onlookers is even worse. Just glad it didn't hit anyone else.

Biohazard
08-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Yeah, that has got to be a nice little kick to the head. Of course the walk of shame as you go to get your tire is bad enough, but having to roll it back for all the new onlookers is even worse. Just glad it didn't hit anyone else.
All of the state department people were right there at that jct. mowing the banks so yeah I had quite a nice crowd! rochambeau

Soupnazi
08-04-2005, 02:57 PM
I thought I was the only one this had ever happened to. In my buddy Mike's car (old POS Honda civic) and we're doing 65-70 on 435 in Raytown. Mike looks out the window and says "Holy shit! That wheel's going as fast as we are! Who the hell lost that?!?" He turns to move to the right lane, and we found out instantly where it came from. The LF had worked loose and when he turned right, all the weight came down on where that wheel used to be.

Shitload of sparks, terrible grinding noise. That car was never quite right again.

KCTitus
08-04-2005, 02:59 PM
...Mike looks out the window and says "Holy shit! That wheel's going as fast as we are! Who the hell lost that?!?"...

ROFL

Rain Man
08-04-2005, 03:49 PM
I saw this happen once when I was standing on a corner. My wife was ahead of me, and the tire went screaming past her and must've gone a quarter-mile before it finally stopped. It was odd to see, but I'm just glad that my wife was paying attention. Getting hit by a 50-mph tire might've killed her.

ptlyon
08-04-2005, 03:51 PM
I saw this happen once when I was standing on a corner. My wife was ahead of me, and the tire went screaming past her and must've gone a quarter-mile before it finally stopped. It was odd to see, but I'm just glad that my wife was paying attention. Getting hit by a 50-mph tire might've killed her.

Bet the next thing that went through your mind was, "I wonder how that insurance policy is doing?"

KChiefsQT
08-04-2005, 03:54 PM

I'm with him.

morphius
08-04-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm with him.
His wife is not going to be happy, and think what you are doing to his children!

Rain Man
08-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Bet the next thing that went through your mind was, "I wonder how that insurance policy is doing?"

Darn straight. If I'm going to be a widower, I might as well be a rich widower.

KChiefsQT
08-04-2005, 04:09 PM
His wife is not going to be happy, and think what you are doing to his children!

She's in on it too. Don't worry, I'm no home wrecker.

Valiant
08-04-2005, 04:31 PM
(All while running late for work)On my way in this morning I noticed that my truck had a slight vibration to it, not thinking anything of it I kept driving. I turned a corner and it felt really funny so I stopped to check the tires and lugnuts, everything checked out fine. Im about 1/2 mile from my work and am coming to an intersection to turn, my back left TIRE AND WHEEL pass me, the assend of my truck falls to the ground and comes to a sliding halt! Glad that I was coming to stop and not running 60 mph, and have it come off when I meet that 18 wheeler on the bridge (OUCH)The lugs had all came off and where sitting there in the road. Lucky me it didnt mess anything up and I got it jacked up and fixed. Bad thing is I was 1hr late for work. :cuss: From now on if I feel anything abnormal Im stopping right there and double checking everything. Word of advice to those with aftermarket aluminum wheels check the torq of the lugs often!!!!

Actually if you were going faster the truck would not have fell down.. Saw it happen on 291 about eight years ago.. We were behind them, it was funny as shit...

Phobia
08-04-2005, 07:30 PM
This happened to my brother recently. When he went to retrieve the tire out of traffic, he grabbed the wheel by the hole in the center. Uh - that's not a bright thing to do when you've been running on it.

He burned his hand pretty badly. What a jackass.

Hydrae
08-04-2005, 07:37 PM
I was waiting for a bus on a slow night and this beat up 66 Chevelle comes pulling up to the stop sign. He thinks his POS is hot so he goes to show off by doing a burnie off the line. The right rear tire must have gone at least 30 feet straight up in the air while the back end crashed to the pavement! ROFL One of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Dunit35
08-04-2005, 07:39 PM
happend to my girlfriend once...Uncle told her he checked everything and it was fine...5 minutes later the rim fell off turning a corner. hahaha...

chefsos
08-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Danger notwithstanding, the luckiest part of this was finding all of the lugs! Those little bastards are sneaky. I've changed a lot of tires, and found that, if you don't put them in the hubcap or some kind of container, you're guaran-damn-teed to find only four waiting for you on the ground. Having them bounce all over the road after your tire/wheel combo flees is a whole other headache. Bravo.

Demonpenz
08-04-2005, 10:51 PM
its reasons like these we recommend a professional to change a tire.

onescrewleftuntwisted
08-04-2005, 11:25 PM
it just about happened to me, i had taken my truck to get new front ball joints for the front end the next day i was taking my roomates kids swimming, when the front driver side tire started making a funny noise and it turned funny, after stopping twice looking for sticks rocks and dead animals i looked out the window at the tire while driving down the road, instantly i knew what was wrong,

i hand tighted most of them all the way back on before getting out the 4way

what is realy bad is professionals put my tire back on