PDA

View Full Version : Detroit resigns GM Matt Millen for 5 more years.

John_Wayne
08-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Does he deserve it? I thought that most experts think he's a moron as GM.

Rain Man
08-04-2005, 07:10 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

He's the only person in the league who can't beat Mike Tice in a game of tic-tac-toe.

htismaqe
08-04-2005, 07:23 PM
The dude seriously has like a 25% winning percentage.

keg in kc
08-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Oh jesus.

And they won't sign Ty Law. Detroit fans must be having a conniption.

chop
08-04-2005, 07:48 PM
I think he's about to turn the corner now. He did make a mistake with Morninwig but alot of people could have made that mistake. Morninwig had a good reputation at the time of his hiring. He has sinced learned from his mistakes and I think the Lions are starting to become respectable again.

Rain Man
08-04-2005, 07:50 PM
...and if they aren't respectable this year, he'll keep drafting wide receivers until they are.

J Diddy
08-04-2005, 07:51 PM
...and if they aren't respectable this year, he'll keep drafting wide receivers until they are.

Expect them to fight for a rule change next year so they can start going with 9 WR sets.

Mecca
08-04-2005, 07:51 PM
I think his record is something along the lines of 16-48. If I was a Lions fan I'd be pretty upset about this. The guy has overpaid for players, ask Dre Bly. Drafted a QB who looks like a scrub, then drafted 3 WR's with top 10 picks 3 years in a row. Yea as a Chiefs fan I like when any other team screws itself like this.

whoaskew
08-04-2005, 11:26 PM
I wish I could underperform like that and STILL get a contract extension

Crush
08-05-2005, 12:06 AM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nightfyre
08-05-2005, 12:16 AM
Does he deserve it? I thought that most experts think he's a moron as GM.
I think most normal people think hes a moron as well.

Crush
08-05-2005, 12:33 AM
Expect them to fight for a rule change next year so they can start going with 9 WR sets.

Isn't that taking the Run and Shoot a little too far?

J Diddy
08-05-2005, 12:35 AM
Isn't that taking the Run and Shoot a little too far?

I call it the shoot and shoot....

1 center, 1 qb and 9 wr....

It can only be counter by the 1-0-09 defense

Crush
08-05-2005, 12:37 AM
I call it the shoot and shoot....

1 center, 1 qb and 9 wr....

It can only be counter by the 1-0-09 defense

So crazy it just might work.

Wallcrawler
08-05-2005, 12:41 AM
Well, Im sure the Detroit fans are pretty pissed off, and they especially will be when DJ turns out to be an incredible monster that the Lions could have, should have, and were expected to select in the draft.

Personally though, I like it. If you have to have a team picking ahead of you in the draft, it always helps when they have a moron calling the shots.

J Diddy
08-05-2005, 12:42 AM
So crazy it just might work.

Just think everyone thought Grob was a dumbass for pulling linemen out into coverage.

He was just ahead of his time that's all...

J Diddy
08-05-2005, 12:43 AM
Well, Im sure the Detroit fans are pretty pissed off, and they especially will be when DJ turns out to be an incredible monster that the Lions could have, should have, and were expected to select in the draft.

Personally though, I like it. If you have to have a team picking ahead of you in the draft, it always helps when they have a moron calling the shots.

Well between you and I, I am hoping to have about 31 teams picking ahead of us next year.

Rausch
08-05-2005, 01:12 AM
Just think everyone thought Grob was a dumbass for pulling linemen out into coverage.

He was just ahead of his time that's all...

Pulling lineman into a zone coverage and blitzing a DB/LB is a zone blitz, and used by nearly everyone.

Pulling 2 DE's into short zones and blitzing no one (only two men rushing the passer) is ****ing stupidity and should be punishable by chemical sterilization...

J Diddy
08-05-2005, 01:16 AM
Pulling lineman into a zone coverage and blitzing a DB/LB is a zone blitz, and used by nearly everyone.

Pulling 2 DE's into short zones and blitzing no one (only two men rushing the passer) is ****ing stupidity and should be punishable by chemical sterilization...

Chemical Sterilization?

WTF is that?

Are you getting soft or what?

Bring out the rusty pliers.

oaklandhater
08-05-2005, 01:30 AM
I wish I could underperform like that and STILL get a contract extension

Ask Carl to teach you he knows all about underperforming :)

J Diddy
08-05-2005, 01:31 AM

Or my wife.

htismaqe
08-05-2005, 08:34 AM

Carl Peterson's career record -- 151 W, 104 L, 1 T -- 59%

Matt Millen's career record -- 16 W, 48 L -- 25%

If Carl Peterson is "underperforming" we must find a new word for Matt Millen. :D

Ralphy Boy
08-05-2005, 09:52 AM
I think his record is something along the lines of 16-48. If I was a Lions fan I'd be pretty upset about this. The guy has overpaid for players, ask Dre Bly. Drafted a QB who looks like a scrub, then drafted 3 WR's with top 10 picks 3 years in a row. Yea as a Chiefs fan I like when any other team screws itself like this.

The funny thing is he's signed players we all wanted (Hakim, Bly) and drafted players the Chiefs wanted such as Mike McMahon, Shaun Rogers, Boss Bailey not to mention a QB, that many speculated we'd draft if he lasted that long, in Harrington.

Not that drafting him instead of Sims would have been a bad thing.

He's taken a team that was jack without Barry Sanders and made them a dark horse favorite of many coming into this season.

He drafted Williams because he was the best player available and who can blame him. If Rogers is injury prone &/or not working out, why not replace him with the best player you can?

Iowanian
08-05-2005, 09:56 AM
I think that Detroit could win their division this year.......They've got a pretty solid Young RB, 3 legit, Young WRs, and get some of their injured Defense players back (Ie Boss Bailey).

The Lions are going to be an improved team. If the Line gives Harrington time, he'll have to prove he's better....otherwise he'll be on the bench.

Write it down.....Detroit sneaks in and wins the North.(yeah....I know the Vikes are there)

Ralphy Boy
08-05-2005, 09:58 AM
Carl Peterson's career record -- 151 W, 104 L, 1 T -- 59%

Matt Millen's career record -- 16 W, 48 L -- 25%

If Carl Peterson is "underperforming" we must find a new word for Matt Millen. :D

Wow, a 59%! I wish I could have convinced my freshman year Algebra teacher that a 59% was a good grade.
At that rate Carl has been just above mediocre with approximately 9 wins per season.

Besides, Millen had to dump the pillow biter before he could turn his offense around.

Dude did drastically overpay for Hakim though. At the time everyone also thought he overpaid for Bly...how many pro bowls has he been to since signing with Detroit before the 03 season? Right, twice in two seasons.

chief52
08-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Damn good thing they locked Millan up long term. Can you imagine the bidding fury that would have occurred once his contract was up?

Rain Man
08-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Wow, a 59%! I wish I could have convinced my freshman year Algebra teacher that a 59% was a good grade.
At that rate Carl has been just above mediocre with approximately 9 wins per season.

Did your algebra teacher use a curve where the average score was given a 50%? That's the NFL's grading system.

htismaqe
08-05-2005, 10:06 AM

Besides, Millen had to dump the pillow biter before he could turn his offense around.

Dude did drastically overpay for Hakim though. At the time everyone also thought he overpaid for Bly...how many pro bowls has he been to since signing with Detroit before the 03 season? Right, twice in two seasons.

Ahem. I'm not saying that 59% isn't "underperforming".

But if 59% is "underperforming", 25% is something else altogether.

Ralphy Boy
08-05-2005, 10:08 AM
If you have to have a team picking ahead of you in the draft, it always helps when they have a moron calling the shots.

Yeah, cause those morons really picked shit when they got Kevin Jones & Roy Williams last year, Jeff Backus, Dominic Raiola & Shaun Rogers in the first three rounds of the 2001 draft, followed by such other horrible picks as Boss Bailey, Terrence Holt and Cory Redding.

chagrin
08-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Jeff Backus hasn't been exactly 'solid'

but I will agree that they have drafted okay, with 2 big exceptions, joey boy and 'the collarbone', aka the walking, talking stick bug aka todd pivkston's little but bigger brother...and they have have at least one wash bust on the o-line

Ralphy Boy
08-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Ahem. I'm not saying that 59% isn't "underperforming".

But if 59% is "underperforming", 25% is something else altogether.

I know. Normally I'm a Carl apologist, but today I felt like taking a stab at him.

htismaqe
08-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Yeah, cause those morons really picked shit when they got Kevin Jones & Roy Williams last year, Jeff Backus, Dominic Raiola & Shaun Rogers in the first three rounds of the 2001 draft, followed by such other horrible picks as Boss Bailey, Terrence Holt and Cory Redding.

Boss Bailey has going to have to prove he can come back after a very serious injury, especially considering he was regarded as injury-prone prior to the draft.

He had a great rookie season, but it won't mean shit if he never gets back there.

Ralphy Boy
08-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Jeff Backus hasn't been exactly 'solid'

but I will agree that they have drafted okay, with 2 big exceptions, joey boy and 'the collarbone', aka the walking, talking stick bug aka todd pivkston's little but bigger brother...and they have have at least one wash bust on the o-line

Backus isnt bad.

Rogers is crap luck, he could end up being the next Isaac Bruce for all we know being a guy who suffered injury problems early on, too soon to say.

I'm somewhat thankful that we didn't get Harrington, although I do think he'll end up a decent QB. Considering we ended up with Sims instead of Harrington, I think we'd both like a do-over.

morphius
08-05-2005, 10:17 AM
The funny thing is he's signed players we all wanted (Hakim, Bly) and drafted players the Chiefs wanted such as Mike McMahon, Shaun Rogers, Boss Bailey not to mention a QB, that many speculated we'd draft if he lasted that long, in Harrington.

I thought most of us didn't want Hakim?

Rain Man
08-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Millen inherited a team that had gone 9-7, 5-11, 8-8, and 9-7 the previous four years. He then immediately guided them to a 2-14 record, followed up by 3-13, 5-11, and 6-10.

The good news is that he's making progress. I predict that he may get them back to .500 within a few years.

chagrin
08-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Backus isnt bad. - I am not saying he is bad. I am a Michigan fan and thought he was going to make an excellent pro, but he really hasn't libved up to that, although he is 'good'.

Rogers is crap luck, he could end up being the next Isaac Bruce for all we know being a guy who suffered injury problems early on, too soon to say.

My own opinion on this is that even though medical advances can get this guy back on the field, he is too fragile to make a significant comeback from tow collarbone accidents. Yes crap luck, but I don't think it's too early to tell that he can't take a NFL hit.

Joey Harrington - yes I agree that it's probably too early for me to bag on him, but he's short, and short QB's who can't run don't have much luck for long, wouldn't you agree? He's got no arm, even though he was touted as having a 'great' long arm. I lived up there and I never saw it.

Ok, he will have to REALLY suck to miss the long tall dudes he has now, but if he plays like has has, in this upcoming season, he's toast.
P.S. The o-line is solid and gives him time pretty consistently

whoman69
08-05-2005, 01:43 PM
If you're putting together a list of the dumbest people in the NFL, from Millen you have to go a ways down to the tie at #2 between Martz and Tice.

htismaqe
08-05-2005, 01:45 PM
If you're putting together a list of the dumbest people in the NFL, from Millen you have to go a ways down to the tie at #2 between Martz and Tice.

Holthus was talking about training camp fights this morning and he said the shakedown with the Vikes last year started when Greg Wesley not-so-politely asked Mike Tice to LEAVE THE CHIEFS DEFENSIVE HUDDLE.

WTF?!?!

Rain Man
08-05-2005, 01:46 PM

The person who decided to re-sign Millen for five years is making a strong run, too. :p