PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else repulsed by the marketing of the Shuttle Landing?

jAZ
08-05-2005, 02:05 PM
I'm seeing commercials on all the 24-7 news networks for "Live Coverage of Space Shuttle Landing!".

The only reason the landing is news is because of a possible repeat of the last landing. It seems like they are trying to reap profits off the possible crashing of the Shuttle.

Kinda sickens me to see actual promotion ("tune in to watch!") going on for this.

This is what our for-profit media has become.

Braincase
08-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Overall, if people recognize that our shuttle fleet is outdated and it renews an interest in the Space Program, we might be able to come up with the right design instead of going to the lowest bidder. We've come a long ways since the 1970's in terms of material science.

BigRedChief
08-05-2005, 02:31 PM
and you are surprised? Why do you think people go to nascar races? To see drivers make left turns all day?

jAZ
08-05-2005, 02:34 PM
I assume people go to NASCAR races because they pull for a team and want to see who wins?

Now hockey on the other hand.

;)

Donger
08-05-2005, 02:35 PM
This is what our for-profit media has become.

It's always been like that, jAZ.

jAZ
08-05-2005, 02:35 PM
It's always been like that, jAZ.
The news coverage hasn't always been for profit. It wasn't until deregulation in the early 80s that things started going down hill - fast.

Donger
08-05-2005, 02:37 PM
The news coverage hasn't always been for profit. It wasn't until deregulation in the early 80s that things started going down hill - fast.

I meant that they have always gotten a stiffy over a potential tragedy. Shoot, look at what happened during the Apollo 13 mission.

jidar1
08-05-2005, 02:39 PM
No because I don't make it a point of going around trying to be offended of things.

KCTitus
08-05-2005, 02:41 PM

I thought it was because of Drudge...

jAZ
08-05-2005, 02:42 PM
I meant that they have always gotten a stiffy over a potential tragedy. Shoot, look at what happened during the Apollo 13 mission.
Media is supposed to cover tragedy and news. Hell, they can get a "stiffy" all they want.

But don't tell me they were running commericals trying to get people amped about watching Apollo 13.

My complaint isn't about the fact that the new focuses on tragedy. That's the very nature of the news business. It's that the news media about 20 years ago, became a profit center for mega-media corporations. Which in effect too away the public interest aspect and replaced it (more so than is appropriate, IMO) with the sharehold interest.

It wasn't always this way, and it doesn't have to stay this way. This kind of profiteering off national tragedy is repulsive, but it is a very natural extension of a profit-centered news media.

Donger
08-05-2005, 02:44 PM
But don't tell me they were running commericals trying to get people amped about watching Apollo 13.

Actually, they were.

whoman69
08-05-2005, 02:51 PM
It was 60 minutes when they were actually reporting. Then they found they could bust on someone every episode and get the ratings. News is not news anymore, its infotainment.

Duck Dog
08-05-2005, 03:06 PM
No because I don't make it a point of going around trying to be offended of things.

ROFL

nailed it.

Hydrae
08-05-2005, 03:18 PM
If it helps keep attention to the space program and gets people interested in it, I have no problem.

jAZ
08-05-2005, 03:23 PM
ROFL

nailed it.
ROFL

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2608239&highlight=pissed#post2608239

Chest Rockwell
08-05-2005, 03:24 PM
I guess I think it's more sad than offensive.

Now if they somehow start incorportating something like:

"Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY!!! Watch the shuttle land on CNN!!! Will it land, or will the lintballs on the belly turn it into a FLAMING BALL OF LIQUID DEATH?!?"

Ok, nevermind...I'd find that entertaining. Then again, I've always embraced my inner asshole. Figureitively, of course. I'd imagine you'd have to do a hell of a lot of yoga to be flexible enough to do that literally.

jAZ
08-05-2005, 03:27 PM
President and Founding Member Kansas City Cooter Rooters; Official Pimp of Unoffical Adopt-a-Chief to be drafted in 2007: Jim Bob Cooter, QB, University of Tennessee.

Read about all the games my boy did not play in HERE!

JIM-BOB-COOTER! CLAP-CLAP-CLAPCLAPCLAP!!! WE WANT COOTER!!!
ROFL