PDA

View Full Version : The Planet sent me to Jack Stack...

Lord Bestyle
08-05-2005, 05:36 PM
...and it was Freakin' Awesome!

My wife took me out for b-day dinner this afternoon. And based solely on a thread from a month ago, we hit Jack Stack. Oh, man, were you guys right. Had the chicken and the burnt ends: excellent. The beans, man, the beans are amazing! (It's sad to get that :drool: over beans.)

I'm relatively new to the area, and have been trying to go to every BBQ place around. So far I've tried KC local favorites Gates and Bryant's, Lawrence's Quick's, Vermont St, and Buffalo Bob's and the rather pedestrian Famous Dave's and KC Masterpiece. In my book, Jack Stack tops 'em all.
Anyone got a place that might challenge the top spot for best BBQ in KC?

Thanks again, guys!

keg in kc
08-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Yeah, the beans are like a religious experience.

Try Oklahoma Joes if you can. That's another real good place.

4th and Long
08-05-2005, 05:42 PM
I wouldn't recommend that you go to Gates in Leawood anytime soon.

Fire Damages Gates Barbecue In Leawood
Firefighter Believe Blaze Started In Barbecue Pits

LEAWOOD, Kan. -- Gates Barbecue restaurant at 103rd Street and State Line Road was damaged by a smoky fire Friday morning.

The fire was reported at about 6 a.m.

http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0805/4813084_400X300.jpg

Fire crews said that flames were showing when they first arrived. They quickly brought the blaze under control.

No one inside at the time of the fire. Firefighters said it appears the fire started somewhere in the barbecue pits.

htismaqe
08-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Personally, I like Jack Stack the best.

Lord Bestyle
08-05-2005, 05:52 PM
Keg, I'll give Oklahoma Joes a try. Is the one in Olathe just as good as the one in KCK?

No worries here about going to *any* Gates in the near future. Maybe I'm all alone here, but I thought Gates sucked. The meat was tough, the sauce didn't impress, and the atmosphere felt like the BBQ version of a hospital cafeteria.

keg in kc
08-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Keg, I'll give Oklahoma Joes a try. Is the one in Olathe just as good as the one in KCK?I don't know that I've been to the one in KCK (I think I did once several years ago, but I don't remember too well), but I did go to the one in Olathe about a month ago with my dad and we both thought it was good.

I do think Fiorella's the best. But Oklahoma Joes is a nice change of pace, and not too far behind in quality. At least not IMHO.

ROYC75
08-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Glad we could be of help........

Personally after Jack Stacks I like KC Masterpiece best, of course this is after the Cattleman's closed down in Louisburg,Ks.

Cattleman's was owned by the people that use to manage Snead's BBQ , just South of Martin City before they sold out and the owners opeaned a BBQ in Martin City called Keagans. Keagans is OK, But Cattleman's opened a BBQ on 95th ST , east of Metcalf sometime ago, I'm thinking it closed down. It never was as good as the BBQ in Louisburg that burnt down.

Good Luck on your search for some good BBQ.

alanm
08-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Glad we could be of help........

Personally after Jack Stacks I like KC Masterpiece best, of course this is after the Cattleman's closed down in Louisburg,Ks.

Cattleman's was owned by the people that use to manage Snead's BBQ , just South of Martin City before they sold out and the owners opeaned a BBQ in Martin City called Keagans. Keagans is OK, But Cattleman's opened a BBQ on 95th ST , east of Metcalf sometime ago, I'm thinking it closed down. It never was as good as the BBQ in Louisburg that burnt down.

Good Luck on your search for some good BBQ.
I hope the BBQ sauce is better in the KC Masterpiece restaurants than the crap they market in the stores. :Lin:

RedDread
08-05-2005, 08:19 PM
I wouldn't recommend that you go to Gates in Leawood anytime soon.

Fire Damages Gates Barbecue In Leawood
Firefighter Believe Blaze Started In Barbecue Pits

LEAWOOD, Kan. -- Gates Barbecue restaurant at 103rd Street and State Line Road was damaged by a smoky fire Friday morning.

The fire was reported at about 6 a.m.

http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0805/4813084_400X300.jpg

Fire crews said that flames were showing when they first arrived. They quickly brought the blaze under control.

No one inside at the time of the fire. Firefighters said it appears the fire started somewhere in the barbecue pits.

Nooooooooo!!!

oh wait, Gates SUCKS. I drive the extra 10 minutes to bryants or 15 to Jack Stack when I'm cravin BBQ..

htismaqe
08-05-2005, 08:25 PM
I hope the BBQ sauce is better in the KC Masterpiece restaurants than the crap they market in the stores. :Lin:

It's the same. This is the one example in the BBQ world where the sauce spawned the store, rather than the other way around.

Sure-Oz
08-05-2005, 08:28 PM
i hate kc masterpiece bbq sauce, gates ownz

alanm
08-05-2005, 08:28 PM
It's the same. This is the one example in the BBQ world where the sauce spawned the store, rather than the other way around.
So who owns it. Heinz?? French made BBQ sauce??? :cuss: :Lin:

Count Zarth
08-05-2005, 08:29 PM
The only KC BBQ experience I've had was at KC Masterpiece. WTF was my uncle thinking?

alanm
08-05-2005, 08:34 PM
When I lived in Omaha you could find some decent stuff in the stores. One I liked quite a bit was called Little Pig. Can't find it out here in Western Ne though. I'd buy Cookies BBQ sauce before KC Masterpiece. They do have Famous Dave's sauce out here though but I'm not overly impressed by that.

htismaqe
08-05-2005, 08:35 PM

I'm not a big fan of Gates' sauce (I know, shoot me) because it's got too much celery seed flavor...

Sure-Oz
08-05-2005, 08:42 PM
I'm not a big fan of Gates' sauce (I know, shoot me) because it's got too much celery seed flavor...
What kind do you like?

htismaqe
08-05-2005, 08:48 PM
What kind do you like?

I'm not a big fan of any one sauce. I like Famous Dave's Texas Pit...I do make my own.

Logical
08-05-2005, 08:50 PM
I'm not a big fan of Gates' sauce (I know, shoot me) because it's got too much celery seed flavor...I agree, Gates turned into too much of chain/fast food place for me.

I recommend you try Rosedale BBQ LordBestyle definitely was (probably still is) in the top 5 of KC BBQ. Jack Stack and Bryants are #1 depending on what you are ordering (but you have to go to the Bryants on Brooklyn for the top notch food) in fact I would avoid the suburban ones.

By the way Fiorella's Jack Stack down by Union Station is better for some menu items than the original in Martin City. I would recommend trying them both as both are actually excellent, but the wait is less down by Union Station (much bigger facility).

Phobia
08-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Now that you mention it, I tried Jack Stack because of the Planet too. We first had a lunch thing there 3 years ago after a group of us played golf. Since then I've made a point to go everytime I was in town and now that I've moved to KC; frequently as well.

htismaqe
08-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Now that you mention it, I tried Jack Stack because of the Planet too. We first had a lunch thing there 3 years ago after a group of us played golf. Since then I've made a point to go everytime I was in town and now that I've moved to KC; frequently as well.

I know Blowfish docked points because it ain't a "joint" and is rather upscale, but frankly I could care less about atmosphere. I'm there for the food, and it's definitely the best KC BBQ I've had.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Anybody ever been to LC's BBQ? I saw it on Food Network the other night and I drive by it every weekend on my way to work. Just curious.

htismaqe
08-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Anybody ever been to LC's BBQ? I saw it on Food Network the other night and I drive by it every weekend on my way to work. Just curious.

The ribs there are supposed to be the boss.

Phobia
08-05-2005, 09:09 PM
I drive by the one on Blue frequently. Never have stopped in, but I know it's supposed to be great.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-05-2005, 09:11 PM
I drive by the one on Blue frequently. Never have stopped in, but I know it's supposed to be great.
That's the one I drive by all the time...

Phobia
08-05-2005, 09:13 PM
That's the one I drive by all the time...

That's 5 minutes from me. I presume you work over off 63rd?

We need to grab a beer sometime.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-05-2005, 09:19 PM
Actually, I work over on 30th, but I'm coming from Warrensburg... but in any case, yes, we should grab a beer sometime.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-05-2005, 09:19 PM
You up for a beer tomorrow morning? Say, 7:30?

ROFL

Phobia
08-05-2005, 09:27 PM
You up for a beer tomorrow morning? Say, 7:30?

ROFL

I would be, but I'm a slave driver and have meet BringBackMarty at a jobsite so he can make me some money.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-05-2005, 09:28 PM
I would be, but I'm a slave driver and have meet BringBackMarty at a jobsite so he can make me some money.
Well, I'm up here fairly frequently (not just on weekends), so we'll need to do that.

Count Zarth
08-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Fire Me Boy! and Phobia sittin' in a tree....

K-I-S-S-I-N-G

Fried Meat Ball!
08-05-2005, 09:35 PM
If I throw a stick will you goaway?

Phobia
08-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Fire Me Boy! and Phobia sittin' in a tree....

K-I-S-S-I-N-G

That's great material, dude. The Disney channel has really great programming. You should file it away someplace handy for frequent use.

Count Zarth
08-05-2005, 09:52 PM
First comes LOVE....

ChiefsFire
08-05-2005, 10:27 PM
...and it was Freakin' Awesome!

My wife took me out for b-day dinner this afternoon. And based solely on a thread from a month ago, we hit Jack Stack. Oh, man, were you guys right. Had the chicken and the burnt ends: excellent. The beans, man, the beans are amazing! (It's sad to get that :drool: over beans.)

I'm relatively new to the area, and have been trying to go to every BBQ place around. So far I've tried KC local favorites Gates and Bryant's, Lawrence's Quick's, Vermont St, and Buffalo Bob's and the rather pedestrian Famous Dave's and KC Masterpiece. In my book, Jack Stack tops 'em all.
Anyone got a place that might challenge the top spot for best BBQ in KC?

Thanks again, guys!
have ya gotten the obligatory birthday bj yet??

that is somewhat of a tradition here on the Planet....

Mojo Rising
08-05-2005, 10:41 PM
I thought KC Masterpiece got bought by Clorox in Oakland, CA. NO thanks. Never eaten there. I have also tried Gates, Rosedale and Bryants and I have better BBQ in SF than that.

Smokestack is good...both of them. I also like Haywards and OK Joes.

I have read a lot about LC's and would like to try it.

I am going back to KC for the Philly game. Same weekend as the American Royal!

Reaper16
08-05-2005, 10:46 PM
I have better BBQ in SF than that.

Liar.

keg in kc
08-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Oh, damn, LC's. I forgot all about LC's. That's right up there with Oklahoma Joes and Fiorellas, as long as you go to the original one in KCMO.

This is a bad thread for one to be on when one is out of money. Talk about torture.

Mojo Rising
08-05-2005, 10:56 PM
Memphis Minnies in the lower Haight (on Haight, less than a 1/2 mile from Ashbury...it's not the only smokin' in the neighborhood) has great brisket and pulled pork. Sams in San Jose is also very good. I have had a lot of bad BBQ here. Maybe it's just me but I did not think Bryants, Gates or Rosedale was that good. My good friend is a Wyandaotte BBQ fan and I don't care for that much either.

RedDread
08-05-2005, 11:08 PM

LC's on Blue is awesome, I make it a point to go there before, during and after Royals games, depending on when I get too fed up to stay at the stadium anymore.

Definitely gets the Bose seal of approval though.

Logical
08-05-2005, 11:16 PM
I thought KC Masterpiece got bought by Clorox in Oakland, CA. NO thanks. Never eaten there. I have also tried Gates, Rosedale and Bryants and I have better BBQ in SF than that.

Smokestack is good...both of them. I also like Haywards and OK Joes.

I have read a lot about LC's and would like to try it.

I am going back to KC for the Philly game. Same weekend as the American Royal!

OK I don't get you opinion about Bryant's (or for that matter Rosedale), I take it you don't like spicy BBQ.

Reaper16
08-05-2005, 11:18 PM
OK I don't get you opinion about Bryant's (or for that matter Rosedale), I take it you don't like spicy BBQ.

He's from San Fran. You know what kind of sauce they like on thier 'cue. Johnny Morton does, anyway.

:D

Fried Meat Ball!
08-05-2005, 11:19 PM
He's from San Fran. You know what kind of sauce they like on thier 'cue. Johnny Morton does, anyway.

:D
Kind of like alfredo, but salty, right?

ROYC75
08-06-2005, 12:18 AM
OMG, I forgot about Rosedale, jusat off 7th St and SW Blvd....... been along time since I ate there. It was good........

I never liked Gates at all.

Didn't care for Wyandotte BBQ either.

Years ago when Zarda's first opened, it was OK, but after awhile, the quality dropped off.

htismaqe
08-06-2005, 05:38 AM

That's it in a nutshell. Some people like spicy, some don't. Me, I prefer sweet first, with a touch of spice.

cookster50
08-06-2005, 05:45 AM
Haven't seen anyone recommend these...

Smokin Joe's
Smokestack (same family as Jack Stack)
Smokehouse(get the crispy!!)
I've heard good things about one in OP, Broadway BBQ maybe?????

Personally, I've never been to LC's though I drive by it every week day. I've been told that it is really greasy food, so if you like that, go for it.

cookster50
08-06-2005, 05:48 AM
Someone mentioned trying out the Jack Stack by Union Station. Don't go for lunch, too small of portions. Go in the evening. Also, be prepared to spend a lot and to feel like you are not in a BBQ joint. The atmosphere sucks. BBQ served with a sprig of parsley???? BBQ served with CLOTH napkins and not just a roll of paper towels??? WTH!?!?!?!? If you can get past that, it is good eating!

Skip Towne
08-06-2005, 05:56 AM
That's it in a nutshell. Some people like spicy, some don't. Me, I prefer sweet first, with a touch of spice.
Arthur Bryant himself told a friend of mine that it took a city the size of KC to support his style of BBQ. I just love it but I can see why some people might not. All the sweet sauces seem the same to me.

Simplex3
08-06-2005, 07:50 AM
The only KC BBQ experience I've had was at KC Masterpiece. WTF was my uncle thinking?
This is easy. He was thinking "God, I can't believe I have to put up with this little f**k. I'll take him somewhere that I won't be seen with him by anyone that I give a s**t about."

Simplex3
08-06-2005, 08:01 AM
When you're talking the "Stack" family of joints for some reason the original in in Martin City is still my favorite. I can't tell you for sure it's the flavor of the food, there are some memories there for me. Just about every time I ate there I went with my grandfather until about 4 years ago when he died. Come to think of it I've only been there once since then when we took my grandmother...

I wasn't all that impressed with OK Joe's. It was good, but not great. The beans were s**t.

Zarda's isn't good for the high dollar items, but their turkey sandwich with fries and a side of beans is good lunch-time eatin'.

Baby Lee
08-06-2005, 08:26 AM
Gates X-Tra Hot is so good, I've forgotten what all their other sauces taste like.

Lord Bestyle
08-06-2005, 08:30 AM

Is *that* what that flavor was? No wonder I didn't like it.

Baby Lee
08-06-2005, 08:30 AM
Nope, no affiliation. MoF, sued Fiorella to get exclusive use of their name back.

Baby Lee
08-06-2005, 08:34 AM
On a related note, for the last couple of weeks, the air around my house has been pretty darn mouth watering. I figured someone was really throwing out some quality backyard BBQ efforts. Then walking back down the alley from the convenience store, I see the sign over the former Irish Pub that's kitty-cornered from my back yard that'll end my physique for once and for all. 'Grand Opening S.County Barbeque.'

I mean fer chrissakes, I can throw a rock from my back yard and land it on the roof of this joint.

Not fair.

Lord Bestyle
08-06-2005, 08:43 AM
I agree, Gates turned into too much of chain/fast food place for me.

I recommend you try Rosedale BBQ LordBestyle definitely was (probably still is) in the top 5 of KC BBQ. Jack Stack and Bryants are #1 depending on what you are ordering (but you have to go to the Bryants on Brooklyn for the top notch food) in fact I would avoid the suburban ones.

By the way Fiorella's Jack Stack down by Union Station is better for some menu items than the original in Martin City. I would recommend trying them both as both are actually excellent, but the wait is less down by Union Station (much bigger facility).

Thanks for the suggestion, Vlad. I'll have to checkout Rosedale next time I'm going through KCK. Nothing like some good BBQ after watching the Chiefs kick ass at Arrowhead.

We ate at the Union Station Jack Stack, yesterday. It's a little different than I'm used to seeing from a BBQ place. Like damark said, cloth napkins? I almost wondered if they'd turn us away with our t-shirts and shorts. But for all the pretense, they didn't care, it was just good service and excellent grub.

Raiderhader
08-06-2005, 08:45 AM
Haven't seen anyone recommend these...

Smokin Joe's
Smokehouse(get the crispy!!)
I've heard good things about one in OP, Broadway BBQ maybe?????

Personally, I've never been to LC's though I drive by it every week day. I've been told that it is really greasy food, so if you like that, go for it.

Are they still open? When I was up in June it looked like they had closed down. Just moved to another locale perhaps (hopefully)?

htismaqe
08-06-2005, 08:46 AM
Someone mentioned trying out the Jack Stack by Union Station. Don't go for lunch, too small of portions. Go in the evening. Also, be prepared to spend a lot and to feel like you are not in a BBQ joint. The atmosphere sucks. BBQ served with a sprig of parsley???? BBQ served with CLOTH napkins and not just a roll of paper towels??? WTH!?!?!?!? If you can get past that, it is good eating!

Why the fug would you care about the atmosphere?

If the food's good, that's all that matters.

Raiderhader
08-06-2005, 08:47 AM

I can't say that it has ever been a thought in my mind.

htismaqe
08-06-2005, 08:47 AM
On a related note, for the last couple of weeks, the air around my house has been pretty darn mouth watering. I figured someone was really throwing out some quality backyard BBQ efforts. Then walking back down the alley from the convenience store, I see the sign over the former Irish Pub that's kitty-cornered from my back yard that'll end my physique for once and for all. 'Grand Opening S.County Barbeque.'

I mean fer chrissakes, I can throw a rock from my back yard and land it on the roof of this joint.

Not fair.

That's fuggin sweet.

Raiderhader
08-06-2005, 08:48 AM
Why the fug would you care about the atmosphere?

If the food's good, that's all that matters.

Pretty much.

If you are going to a restaraunt for atmosphere, you are going for the wrong reason.

Lord Bestyle
08-06-2005, 08:56 AM

Not fair.

Man you're going to go broke and get insanely fat.

I'm so jealous.

Mojo Rising
08-06-2005, 10:50 AM

Haywards is pretty spicy. I have only been there a couple times and I didn't understand the hype. On my last trip through KC I did eat a sandwich at the airport Bryants and it wasn't bad though. It would be cool if every terminal had a different BBQ joint.

redhed
08-06-2005, 11:00 AM
Keg, I'll give Oklahoma Joes a try. Is the one in Olathe just as good as the one in KCK?

No worries here about going to *any* Gates in the near future. Maybe I'm all alone here, but I thought Gates sucked. The meat was tough, the sauce didn't impress, and the atmosphere felt like the BBQ version of a hospital cafeteria.

Gates has really gone into the crapper in the last decade or so. It used to be my fav, but I haven't been there in many, many a year. I'll still cook w/ their sauce from time to time.

OK Joes is very good. Best I've had in awhile.

Baby Lee
08-06-2005, 11:30 AM
That's fuggin sweet.
To show I'm not exaggerating. This is front my back bedroom window. [Yes I need to mow];

Ari Chi3fs
08-06-2005, 11:39 AM
i think im going to 95th and Metcalf Jack Stack for Dinner.... im salivating over here.

Brando
08-06-2005, 12:51 PM

You guys were'nt playing the, "Rub the BBQ sauce on the skin or get the hose again" game were you?

Fried Meat Ball!
08-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Pretty much.

If you are going to a restaraunt for atmosphere, you are going for the wrong reason.
If I went for the ambiance, I'd stay the hell away from Perry Foster's here in the 'Burg. Damn, he makes some good bbq. And if you never had sweet potatoe French fries... MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

beer bacon
08-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Three places that aren't mentioned very often, but are still very good are Zarda's in Blue Springs, Smokehouse in Independence by the AMC 20, and the Walbash over in Excelsior Springs up north.

The Walbash is a little out of the way, but their ribs are extremely tasty and well cooked. Zarda has variety of delicious entrees, but their bbq sandwiches are great. A Zarda's bbq sandwich and some cheese soup makes a great lunch.

With that said, Jack's Stack is still my favorite. OK Joes is very good as well.

Count Zarth
08-06-2005, 07:29 PM
A Zarda's bbq sandwich and some cheese soup makes a great lunch.

And a great dump.

skky man
08-06-2005, 10:08 PM
I live about 1 1/2 hrs away and went to Jack Stack a couple of weeks ago when I was in town for a few things. I had heard about it on the planet and I thought it would be good but Damn! It made me want to get up and slap my Grandma! There a in my book the best in KC!