PDA

View Full Version : Positives and Negatives for todays Game

Mosbonian
09-03-2000, 02:18 PM
What is everyone's take on the positive and negatives of todays game?

Positives:

SlyMo- He looked good once he got the first play jitters behind him. That catch that was ruled OOB could have gone either way. But he made a great play on the next series.

Dennis- That play he made to keep Indy from the TD was great. He also made a couple of good hits during the game.

Semi-Positive:

Tony Richardson- When given the opportunity to be the feature back he did the job.

Negatives:

The Pass Rush(or lack of it): Even the worst QB in the league would have looked like Peyton Manning with the time he was given to throw today. WE NEED A PASS RUSH!!!!!

Defensive Secondary: Not that it wasn't expeted, but we gave way too much yardage up at critical times.

Tackling: Still too much emphasis to strip the ball and not enough tackling.

RBBC- GET RID OF IT!!!!!!!!!! Anyone who thinks that we don't need a good RB just needs to look at James to see what it adds to the offense to have a threat like him.

Receivers: Would someone see if the receivers stole the petroleum jelly from the old Denver Broncos line. It looked like they were playing "hot potato" out there.

------------------
"When you're not the lead dog in the pack, the view is always the same"

47mack
09-03-2000, 02:30 PM
Positives

--a lot of potential on the offensive pass game, if they can over come the bad passes and dropped passes

Negatives

--terrible pass defense....we made Manning look good. He didn't earn his 200+ passing yards

Mosbonian
09-03-2000, 02:34 PM
Who didn't drop at least one pass today? That was pretty poor to see drives killed by lack of concentration.

mmaddog

------------------

AZChief
09-03-2000, 02:35 PM
positives: Morris, Dennis, Warfield improved after brutal start, Edwards, Wesley, solid pressure ( I think we got a great push regardless of what you all seem to think), Moreau ( in very limited carries 1 or 2).

negatives: Home crowd booing after 3 plays, Saurbrun, DT's still jumping off sides, STs penalties, dropped balls, Warfield at start, Bennett's running, Elvis' poor decision on pick, Gonzalez believes his own hype.

AZ

[This message has been edited by AZChief (edited 09-03-2000).]

47mack
09-03-2000, 02:40 PM
I don't think the crowd was booing the team. I think everyone was disgusted at the play calling.

Cormac
09-03-2000, 02:48 PM
Positives:
Youth movement did well (Dennis' breakup was sensational; Moreau showed speed and vision on that 12 yarder; SlyMo is a big-time keeper; Wesley was very solid)
Lockett was brilliant
Sauerbrun is an improvement. Punts are low, but at least he can kick out of the end-zone.

Neutrals:
T-Rich only did OK

Negatives:
Bennett
Dropped passes (especially DA's and Drayton's)
Kurt Schottenheimer (got burned by the screen pass AGAIN http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/mad.gif; defense gave up 390 yards and FADED down the stretch allowing more and more yards on the ground.

kcred
09-03-2000, 02:51 PM
AZ - I was thinking the same thing about TG, the last drive he started looking like last year, hopefully, it was a small lapse, not a revert to 98. I feel better about them, now, than I did going into the game. A 40 point performance by Indy would not have surprised me. I have no doubt we can compete within the division now, and I did before this game. With some youth to boot.

AZChief
09-03-2000, 02:51 PM
Cormac, totally agree that screen pass was the play that upset me the most on defense. Woods got crushed by the lineman out front and everyone else was standing at the back of the endzone.

Add Gonzalez to your list of key drops.

AZ

Mosbonian
09-03-2000, 02:53 PM
Does anyone think that we should let Kimble Anders go? He wasn't used a great deal today and I am not sure what REAL role he will play in the offense.

mmaddog

------------------

AZChief
09-03-2000, 02:54 PM
kcred-I feel ok with this loss too. I think we played really hard and had a lot of young kids out there. I think it was some of the vets that let us down. I expect more from Gonzo, DA, Drayton, Saurbrun, etc. I thought Elvis played well but he's got to learn that his errors are magnified because of his position and play safer. We we're still in the game, only down by 3, then BANG, down by 10. That has got to kill a defense. All in all not too bad against one of the top AFC teams. I am a realist and I know rebuilding when I see it.

Kilgore, it does not look like he's going to be featured very much does it? His roster spot may be more for leadership and loyalty than playing time.

(Leaf just knocked out of game by Raida cheap shot)

AZ

kcred
09-03-2000, 03:02 PM
AZ - I think you can add Hasty to the mix also, he gave up as much as some of the kids, but, is this not a new zone defense we are using. Dishman got his penalties for his man coverage, and a couple of times, one on Hasty, there was a hole big enough to land an airship. This might be Shaws contribution, who knows. Still not satisfied, with the play calling on both sides. In the argument about pressure, I thought we did well, agains a team that led the league in lowest number of sacks.

AZChief
09-03-2000, 03:05 PM
I agree Hasty tended to play off the receivers quite a bit today. I don't know if that was his own doing or if it was a coaching strategy not to give up the big one. He made a nice play on that ball that he tipped over the receiver...the ball should've been picked but I can't recall who dropped it.

AZ

G_Man
09-03-2000, 03:11 PM
Positives:

Offense

- Morris is going to be great
- Richardson was good, considering how predictable our offense was
- Grbac was good, not great. Needs to work on accuracy

Defense

- tackling was improved, but still needs work
- Wesley's going to be great. Big hitter. Made some coverage mistakes, but played damn well for a 3rd rounder in his first game.
- Pass rush wasn't so bad (remember the OL we're going against). Near sacks need to become sacks. We missed several close opportunities (Patton on blitz, the near safety, etc.)
- Young DBs not too bad, although Warfield was definitely outmatched (Dennis defends the fade!)

STs

- Good coverage, considering the line drives/0 hangtime they had to defend
- KOs were good (a touchback!)
- parker will be a good returner in time

Negatives

Offense

- Could our playcalling have been worse? It reminded me of the baltimore game last year. Don't bother playing the pass against KC unless we're passed our 30. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif
- dropped passes
- Grbac inaccurate
- Bennett's still getting carries?!?!?!

Defense

- Tackling still needs work
- Bad coverage (although it was partly due to young DBs)
- PENALTIES! Dan Williams gets penalized even more than he gets injured!

STs

- Sauerbrun's awful line drive punts
- Cloud's not a great KR. Get well soon, Dante.
- Two penalties that costed us about 30 yards on one PR!<BR>

G_Man
09-03-2000, 03:34 PM
BTW, a little coaching negative:

- Gun's decision to go for the challenge on Morris' catch. It may very well have been a catch, but there was far from being conclusive evidence. Poor use of a TO (as Lenny would say http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif ).

- and, as usual, Raye called a horrible game (although Gun deserves partial credit).