PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Garage Sales

Deberg_1990
08-06-2005, 08:40 AM
My subdivision is currently have a community garage sale today. I cant beleive how cheap some of you bastards are! We have stuff marked for like .50 cents....."Will you take a quarter for that?" I cant beleive how much ive heard that!! Any of you out there "Professional" garage salers?

morphius
08-06-2005, 08:45 AM
My Mom was one before she started working a couple of years back. She tried not to rip off people much, but if she thought it was worth less she would ask for it.

I know her buying kids clothes for my son has saved me a TON.

Fat Elvis
08-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Uh, you have stuff in a garage sale because you don't want it. If you don't take a quarter for it, you are stuck hauling the crap back into your house or down to the Salvation Army.

I'll take the quarter and be glad someone is paying me to haul off my trash.

trndobrd
08-06-2005, 08:51 AM
I think they might just enjoy the bargaining part of it. Even if it is over a $0.05 item. Next time, try this:

(Customer picks up item marked for $0.50)
C: "How much is this"
You: "Fidy cent"
C: Would you take twenty-five cents?
Y: Would you give 75 cents?
C: You said it was 50.
Y: It is.
C: Then why do you want me to pay 75 cents?
Y: Because it's more?
C: Why would I want to pay you more for this?
Y: Why would you want to pay less?
C: Because I don't want to pay 50 cents for it.
Y: You can afford 25 cents, but not 50?
C: Of course I have 50 cents.
Y: Just not 75 cents? Someone here can probably loan you 25 cents if you leave a drivers license or something.
C: Yes, I have 75 cents.
Y: But you don't want to pay 75 cents?
C: It's 50 cents.
Y: OK, I'll take 50 cents.

(You won't make any money from the garage sale, but if you were pricing your items at 50 cents, you weren't going to be financing a new car with your earnings anyway)

Deberg_1990
08-06-2005, 09:07 AM
I'll take the quarter and be glad someone is paying me to haul off my trash.

hahaha...good point

DRU
08-06-2005, 12:36 PM
ebay!!!

|Zach|
08-06-2005, 12:39 PM
One time are subdivision was having those when he lived in a palce a long time ago. We were not having one ourselves and for some reason we forgot to close the garage door that night. The next morning there were people randomly walking through our garage looking at stuff. My dad walked in there to get something and 6 people are just standing there...before he could say something a person asked how much something was...

heh.

Deberg_1990
04-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Bump.

My neighborhood is having another one of these today. My wife is in heaven.

Demonpenz
04-04-2009, 10:08 AM
i bought a signed poster of tracy lawrence for 2 dollars

Pablo
04-04-2009, 10:12 AM
i bought a signed poster of tracy lawrence for 2 dollarsYeah, but could he paint you a Birmingham?

Deberg_1990
04-04-2009, 10:14 AM

of course. Where else could you find such a gem.

Groves
04-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Price it right, watch the junk fly outa your life.

Most people I know labor for far too many hours in preparation for a garage sale that won't make them much money, and will tie them up an entire day if not 2. Total waste of effort (except for the relatively few pricey items you'd like to sell).

Gather those few non 50cent items. Sell them at a sale or craigslist them. Then haul the rest away to goodwill or something, and go enjoy the rest of your Saturday. Let the other people sit all day to make 10bucks.

Buehler445
04-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Fock you. I can't have a garage sale because it is 20 degrees out, snowing and the wind is blowing 40.
Posted via Mobile Device

MIAdragon
04-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Id much rather give the crap to goodwill and enjoy the time I would have spent selling said crap on the golf course.

NewChief
04-04-2009, 10:33 AM
My wife and I used to hold and buy at a lot of garage sales. We'd do them with friends a bunch, and we'd always laugh at our friends who overpriced their stuff and ended up having to haul it all back to their house while we got rid of all of ours and made several hundred dollars. A dollar here and a dollar there adds up pretty quick.

As for bargaining: it's part of the garage sale culture. I used to get embarrassed at my wife's cheap haggling ways, but I figured out that it's just part of garage saling.

RedNeckRaider
04-04-2009, 10:39 AM
I lived in a Haysville Kansas for several years. Every year they have a town wide Garage sale. It was insane! bumper to bumper traffic. A couple of years the wife talked me into joining in which required me to be up at 5:30 am to set up while her and her friends went shopping. People would be waiting. I like you, would be stunned at someone looking at something priced for 25 cents asking if I would take 10 cents! I reached the point where she knew better than to ask.

One time I had to work and was walking out the door at 6:30 am and a couple were walking away from their car THAT WAS PARKED IN MY DRIVEWAY blocking me in! I yelled at the guy and said get your car out of my driveway, he says come on man there is nowhere else to park! He is looking at me like I am going to change my mind! I said get in your car and move now. They start walking back and he says you dont have to be rude :spock: I told him to get the **** in his car shut the **** up or he would see rude.

NewChief
04-04-2009, 10:42 AM
The best is when you plan to start the sale at like 6:30am and put that on your signs. You get up to start hauling crap into the driveway at 6:00am. Inevitably, there are people waiting at your house when you wake up. I've had folks wanting to come into the house and look at the goods before we even get them hauled out. I put them to work helping me haul crap out into the yard, promising I'd let them have first dibs on anything they wanted if they helped.

Bearcat
Fock you. I can't have a garage sale because it is 20 degrees out, snowing and the wind is blowing 40.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am NOT looking forward to Monday and Tuesday. COLD!

:Poke:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/COLD.jpg

Deberg_1990
d we'd always laugh at our friends who overpriced their stuff and ended up having to haul it all back to their house while we got rid of all of ours and made several hundred dollars. A dollar here and a dollar there adds up pretty quick.

Thats the key right there. YOu have to know how to price your stuff right.
Too many people overprice. Do you want to MOVE it or do you want it to continue to clutter your garage??

DenverDanChiefsFan
04-04-2009, 10:44 AM
My subdivision is currently have a community garage sale today. I cant beleive how cheap some of you bastards are! We have stuff marked for like .50 cents....."Will you take a quarter for that?" I cant beleive how much ive heard that!! Any of you out there "Professional" garage salers?That's why I don't have fucking garage sales. You can have a nickel on it and they will say, how about three cents.

We donate everything to charity and take the tax write off at the end of the year

Deberg_1990
04-04-2009, 10:45 AM
The best is when you plan to start the sale at like 6:30am and put that on your signs. You get up to start hauling crap into the driveway at 6:00am. Inevitably, there are people waiting at your house when you wake up. I've had folks wanting to come into the house and look at the goods before we even get them hauled out. I put them to work helping me haul crap out into the yard, promising I'd let them have first dibs on anything they wanted if they helped.

heh, we did one with my MIL one time.

She advertised 7:00am, and some dude was ringing her doorbell at 6:45. Extremely rude.

BTW, these "professional garage sale" types know exactly what they are doing. They know they are being rude but dont care. They just want first look at the inventory.

NewChief
04-04-2009, 10:49 AM
BTW, these "professional garage sale" types know exactly what they are doing. They know they are being rude but dont care. They just want first look at the inventory.

I shudder to think what these people's houses and yards look like. The best were these brothers that said they'd haul off any construction scraps you had sitting around. We had a bunch of old siding we'd ripped off when we put up new siding. We'd done a bunch of remodeling, so we had tons of scrap crap around. They ended up taking all sorts of old cracked tiles, hardibacker scraps, siding, scrap linoleum we'd pulled up. We're not talking about anything you could take back to Lowe's or take to a scrapper. I'd already done that number. This stuff was JUNK, and they took it. They came by with their trailer and it was the biggest assortment of crap I'd ever seen. I asked them what they did with it all, and they said, "Oh, we just put it out in a field and we use it for this and that." I can only imagine what their "field" looks like. Probably like the city landfill.

Buehler445
04-04-2009, 10:50 AM
I am NOT looking forward to Monday and Tuesday. COLD!

:Poke:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/COLD.jpg

Yeah, thanks for that...

DenverDanChiefsFan
04-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Yeah, thanks for that...No kidding - it is about 25 here and the north side of my house is covered with ice this morning. Can't see out of any of the windows on that side.

However, we didn't get the ass pounding snow they were predicting.:thumb:

Buehler445
04-04-2009, 10:56 AM
No kidding - it is about 25 here and the north side of my house is covered with ice this morning. Can't see out of any of the windows on that side.

However, we didn't get the ass pounding snow they were predicting.:thumb:

It's still snowing here, but the storm of DOOOOOOOOOOOOM with 10 inches and this fucking wind didn't come through. The wind delivered as always though :banghead:

Count Zarth
04-04-2009, 10:59 AM
There's nothing I like better than hitting about 20-30 garage sales on a Saturday morning. We used to do it all the time in Springfield when I'd visit. Sadly in Texas they aren't as prevalent where I've lived. For some reason I just LOVE garage sales. I used to race my cousin in case someone had a book or a stupid toy we would fight over.

NewChief
04-04-2009, 11:00 AM
There's nothing I like better than hitting about 20-30 garage sales on a Saturday morning. We used to do it all the time in Springfield when I'd visit. Sadly in Texas they aren't as prevalent where I've lived. For some reason I just LOVE garage sales. I used to race my cousin in case someone had a book or a stupid toy we would fight over.

One of our friends in college sold all his star wars stuff at a garage sale, and he had a ton. You would have been in heaven.

Bearcat
04-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Yeah, thanks for that...

Oh, come on... I cracked up when I saw that this morning. I moved from Omaha to KC on a day in December when it was like 4 degrees with 30mph winds in Omaha, and went to the Chiefs/Dolphins game the next day.... so I feel for ya. It's f***ing April.

Bugeater
04-04-2009, 12:01 PM
I think they might just enjoy the bargaining part of it. Even if it is over a $0.05 item. Next time, try this:

(Customer picks up item marked for $0.50)
C: "How much is this"
You: "Fidy cent"
C: Would you take twenty-five cents?
Y: Would you give 75 cents?
C: You said it was 50.
Y: It is.
C: Then why do you want me to pay 75 cents?
Y: Because it's more?
C: Why would I want to pay you more for this?
Y: Why would you want to pay less?
C: Because I don't want to pay 50 cents for it.
Y: You can afford 25 cents, but not 50?
C: Of course I have 50 cents.
Y: Just not 75 cents? Someone here can probably loan you 25 cents if you leave a drivers license or something.
C: Yes, I have 75 cents.
Y: But you don't want to pay 75 cents?
C: It's 50 cents.
Y: OK, I'll take 50 cents.

(You won't make any money from the garage sale, but if you were pricing your items at 50 cents, you weren't going to be financing a new car with your earnings anyway)
That is awesome, I'm going to do something similar to that the next time some jackass from Craigslist makes me an absurd lowball offer on something.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-04-2009, 12:04 PM

If the World had a front porch.............