PDA

View Full Version : kcchiefs.com: Q&A with DV. 8/6 (good stuff)

Coogs
08-06-2005, 11:04 AM
Q&A with DICK VERMEIL
Aug 06, 2005, 10:46:22 AM

TRAINING CAMP

Morning
Q: You worked on a two-minute drill today.

DICK VERMEIL: “We took the Jacksonville game situation (2004) with 2:15 seconds to go when we lost the football game. We put the defense back in that same situation. The only improvement was they didn’t get a touchdown; they got a field goal. I’d like to believe our offense is slightly better than Jacksonville’s. I hope we’re making improvement in that area.

“Each day we’ll try to take a situation that we didn’t execute real well within a game. We’ll put it on the field. We did it yesterday. We took the Houston game’s 21-20 scenario and where we didn’t get it done, so we put ourselves through that situation. I’ve got (all those plays) choreographed.”

Q: But this was designed for your defense, right?

VERMEIL: “It was a defensive two minutes where they’re not supposed to let them get a field goal or touchdown.”

Q: Will you do one for Jacksonville and their offense where you couldn’t run out the clock?

VERMEIL: “We will do that; that will be in the four-minute series.”

Q: Is John Welbourn injured or are you just giving him the day off?

VERMEIL: “He got a slight ding yesterday when Tony Richardson fell on the back of his leg. So, we just gave him the morning off.”

Q: You said one of the questions you had to resolve coming out of this camp was your wide receiver rotation: number two and number three. Is that shaping up?

VERMEIL: “I think right now Samie Parker is the number two wide receiver. Eddie (Kennison) is number one. I’m not 100% sure who number three and four are. We know Dante (Hall) is one of the five. I’m not sure who the other two are. That’s good. We’ve got competition and it will be intense and it’ll probably come down to which guy or which two guys can make the most contribution to special teams. We have some ascending young players.”

Q: You have some guys coming from injuries and off-season surgeries: Boerigter and Horn. Can you give us an update on how they’re doing?”

VERMEIL: “They’re doing fine. Boerigter’s working one-a-day and I think it’s important that he progresses to two-a-day. C-Horn is running selective reps in two-a-days and he’s doing a good job. I think they’re both ready to play in a pre-season game.”

Q: The young guys in the equation: Thorpe and….

VERMEIL: “Jeris McIntyre, Booth, Richard Smith are all in the equation, believe me.”

Q: Is Kawika Mitchell giving you what you want?

VERMEIL: “Yes. We cheat him a little bit by practicing without pads on. The offense should win that drill because the defense can’t go up there and break somebody down that frees up a linebacker. Sometimes the competition gets too intense without pads on.

“Kawika is an improved football player. I think it’ll show up as we move through the pre-season games.”

Q: Specifically what is he doing better?

VERMEIL: “I think he’s taking on blockers better; he’s recognizing better. He’s got a tougher frame of mind. He’s added some violence to his game, some leadership to the team.”

Q: He seems always in position to make a play.

VERMEIL: “He’s such a good athlete. We’ll find out when we get pads on.”

Q: What’s the status of Khari Long and Montique Sharpe?

VERMEIL: “Back strain. Montique’s dad is in the hospital and he went home to be with him.”

RedThat
08-06-2005, 11:11 AM
I'm glad to hear about Kawika. It is good to hear he improved.

shaneo69
08-06-2005, 11:36 AM
So Kennison, Parker, and Dante are 3 locks for the 5 spots, leaving Crap, Bo, CHorn, Mitchell, McIntyre, Booth, RSmith, and DHill fighting for the last 2 spots. I guess that confirms that they will only be keeping 5 WR's total, including Dante. Nice competition.

foxman
08-06-2005, 11:37 AM
Q&A with DICK VERMEIL
Aug 06, 2005, 10:46:22 AM

VERMEIL: “... He’s added some violence to his game,...”

:)

I like to hear that.

heapshake
08-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Was Montique Sharpe on the 53 man roster last year or the PS? I know he played some in 03, but I didn't know he was still with the team.

Chieficus
08-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Was Montique Sharpe on the 53 man roster last year or the PS? I know he played some in 03, but I didn't know he was still with the team.

They had him on the PS last year.

the Talking Can
08-06-2005, 11:56 AM
So Kennison, Parker, and Dante are 3 locks for the 5 spots, leaving Crap, Bo, CHorn, Mitchell, McIntyre, Booth, RSmith, and DHill fighting for the last 2 spots. I guess that confirms that they will only be keeping 5 WR's total, including Dante. Nice competition.

You have to think Bo has an edge with his special teams play...which means we may be looking at Mitchell/Crap-ho for the final spot...

I understand wanting Mitchell for his experience, but Crap-ho won't make it on waivers and he has the most long term potential of all of them...I think they'll have to carry him on the roster, which means Mitchell and his knee are in a tough situation.

Coogs
08-06-2005, 12:06 PM
You have to think Bo has an edge with his special teams play...which means we may be looking at Mitchell/Crap-ho for the final spot...

I understand wanting Mitchell for his experience, but Crap-ho won't make it on waivers and he has the most long term potential of all of them...I think they'll have to carry him on the roster, which means Mitchell and his knee are in a tough situation.

I agree with you on Thorpe. I think Thorpe and Parker are the future, and he won't be put on waivers where he could sign to anyone elses practice squad.

As far as the other spot goes, I am going to go with the longshot in Booth. Sounds like he is having a heck of a camp, and I thought he had a very impressive game in the NFL Euro championship game. I realize he could probably wind up on the practice squad more easily than some of the others we have in camp, but I am pulling for him to make the 53 man roster anyway.

J Diddy
08-06-2005, 12:09 PM
I agree with you on Thorpe. I think Thorpe and Parker are the future, and he won't be put on waivers where he could sign to anyone elses practice squad.

As far as the other spot goes, I am going to go with the longshot in Booth. Sounds like he is having a heck of a camp, and I thought he had a very impressive game in the NFL Euro championship game. I realize he could probably wind up on the practice squad more easily than some of the others we have in camp, but I am pulling for him to make the 53 man roster anyway.

I say that they carry 6.

Coogs
08-06-2005, 12:10 PM
I say that they carry 6.

That would be a huge upset. 5 is all we have carried in the past, and seems to be all that AS and DV have said we would carry this year.

Hydrae
08-06-2005, 12:15 PM
That would be a huge upset. 5 is all we have carried in the past, and seems to be all that AS and DV have said we would carry this year.

I did notice in one of the reports from camp that they mentioned Dante as a running back. Of course these are also the same people who said that Fox has been practicing on the right side of the line so it may just mean that they don't know offensive positions any better than defensive positions.

Deberg_1990
08-06-2005, 12:15 PM
"He’s added some violence to his game"

Yes, but has he added any tackling ability??

KILLER_CLOWN
08-06-2005, 12:17 PM
What about our kicker situation? Is Tynes going to kickoff or will Colquitt handle those duties?

shaneo69
08-06-2005, 12:19 PM
"He’s added some violence to his game"

Yes, but has he added any tackling ability??

No kidding. The raves that I've heard about Mitchell this year are remarkably similar to the ones I've heard about Bartee (at CB) in previous camps. Yeah, he really "gets it" this year, he's been the star of training camp.

:rolleyes:

Deberg_1990
08-06-2005, 12:23 PM
No kidding. The raves that I've heard about Mitchell this year are remarkably similar to the ones I've heard about Bartee (at CB) in previous camps. Yeah, he really "gets it" this year, he's been the star of training camp.

:rolleyes:

Exactly, i take everything i hear out of training camp and the pre-season with a HUGE grain of salt. Ive been burnt one too many times.....

foxman
08-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Can't Crap Ho be on the PS?

We are still refering to the Chiefs WR's arent we?

Chiefs Pantalones
08-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Yep.

I don't get too high or too low on the team or the players in training camp or in preseason, because what happens now doesn't mean crap. I start paying attention when the real games begin.

Deberg_1990
08-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Heres my take:

Kennison
Parker
Mitchell
Bo
Dante

Crapho and Smith or Booth to the practice squad

The rest are cut.

Id love to keep Horn but hes the odd man out. They will cut him an try and let him catch on with another team somewhere which he will. Dude can play right now. Just no room for him here.

Hydrae
08-06-2005, 01:12 PM
Can't Crap Ho be on the PS?

We are still refering to the Chiefs WR's arent we?

The concern of many, myself included, is that he will not last on the practice squad for any length of time. If we want to keep him around long enough to develop him, he needs to be on the 53 man roster.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-06-2005, 01:17 PM
They're going to have to keep six, I'm thinking. They don't want to let Crap ho go, they want Mitchell on the roster for experience, so...I don't see no other way...

RedThat
08-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Come on fellas. Be more optimistic. DV says Mitchell is improving I believe it. I believe it because I saw an improvement in Kawika Mitchell in the last 4 games of the year last year. He played exceptional. I dont see why he cant carry that improvement over from the end of last season to this season? why not? I give Kawika some props. Besides, he's going to be our MLB whether some of us like it or not. Who's better right now? Maslowski? Scanlon? Grigsby? All these guys are outside shots to be the starting MLB.

I hope a lot of you do realize his developmental process hasn't gone smooth. Look it, these may sound like excuses, but they may not, I want to express a pretty good point here. Kawika has been through a heck of a lot. Remember, he's learning from one system to another, and on top of that he's still developing and learning how to play MLB! You know how challenging that is? Do a lot of you realize that? Greg to Gun, that's a big jump. 2 totally different co-ordinators, 2 totally different systems, and 2 totally different philosophies on coaching how to play linebacker.

Also, add in the fact, he was thrown in to play MLB in his rookie season in 2003. Initially Maslowski was the starter at MLB, but because Maz got hurt, we had no other option but to place Kawika in as the starter. Also, Gun was brought in here last year, what did he say in the OTAS, mini-camps? Kawika and Beisel were impressing the coaches. What happened last year in TC? Kawika got hurt. He missed a month and a half. Therefore, affecting his chances to start. Beisel was given the job. It wasnt till halfway through the season we actually started to see Kawika play, and it wasnt till late last season when we really saw Kawika play. Add all these little things, and they make a big difference, and have an affect on his performance. Finally, there havent been bumps along the road for him, he can officially learn smoothly and get better.

Mr. Kotter
08-06-2005, 01:47 PM
I've seen Mitchell for the past two days....my take is he is improving.

He's more aggressive, more vocal.....more assertive and sure of himself. Having DJ and Bell on his flanks has to help too.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think he'll be our "most improved" player this year....

Sorry, Roy....Boomer is beating out Rich too. At the moment, anyway....

Thig Lyfe
08-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Q: Specifically what is he doing better?

VERMEIL: “I think he’s taking on blockers better"

Well, it's official. We're cutting DJ to make room for Kawika.

Chieficus
08-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Well, it's official. We're cutting DJ to make room for Kawika.

I'm sure we'll be able to land him on the practice squad just fine... :)

donkhater
08-06-2005, 02:22 PM
I see this board is still under the delusion that Craphonso Thorpe is such a talent that teams will be falling all over themselves to get him should KC cut him.

These are the same teams that didn't take him in the first 3 1/2 rounds of April's draft. If he shows something in the preseason games, KC will keep him. If not, no team in their right mind will put a fourth round rookie WR that couldn't make the Chiefs on their active roster.

Coogs
08-06-2005, 02:25 PM
I see this board is still under the delusion that Craphonso Thorpe is such a talent that teams will be falling all over themselves to get him should KC cut him.

These are the same teams that didn't take him in the first 3 1/2 rounds of April's draft. If he shows something in the preseason games, KC will keep him. If not, no team in their right mind will put a fourth round rookie WR that couldn't make the Chiefs on their active roster.

I think they (other teams) can just sign him to their practice squad if he wants to go to a different team. That is why practice squads are not named for a couple of days....
I think. :shrug:

philfree
08-06-2005, 02:31 PM
I think they (other teams) can just sign him to their practice squad if he wants to go to a different team. That is why practice squads are not named for a couple of days....
I think. :shrug:

I don't think that's right, Coogs. I don't think a team can claim a player off another teams practice squad unless they put him on their active roster. I could be wrong but I feel pretty sure about it.

PhilFree:arrow:

the Talking Can
08-06-2005, 02:32 PM

Lilja?

Logical
08-06-2005, 02:44 PM
That would be a huge upset. 5 is all we have carried in the past, and seems to be all that AS and DV have said we would carry this year.There is one difference this year, Robert Holcomb can back up both Richardson and Priest/Johnson meaning we can have one less runningback on the roster this year if we want to, making another slot for a WR.

Logical
08-06-2005, 02:46 PM
I think. :shrug:Nope, to be claimed off a practice squad the other team has to put the player on the 53 man roster.

Coogs
08-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Nope, to be claimed off a practice squad the other team has to put the player on the 53 man roster.

That is to be claimed off of another practice squad. However, I think there is a two day window or so between the making of the 53 man roster, and the naming of the practice squad. I think any player not on the 53 man roster is free to sign with any other teams practice squad during that time frame.

Coogs
08-06-2005, 04:03 PM
I don't think that's right, Coogs. I don't think a team can claim a player off another teams practice squad unless they put him on their active roster. I could be wrong but I feel pretty sure about it.

Again, that is claiming someone who is already on another teams practice squad.

philfree
08-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Again, that is claiming someone who is already on another teams practice squad.

Now that would be correct. Those guys are released and the other teams have something like 48 hours to claim them.

chefsos
08-06-2005, 04:53 PM
However, I think there is a two day window or so between the making of the 53 man roster, and the naming of the practice squad. I think any player not on the 53 man roster is free to sign with any other teams practice squad during that time frame.

So at this point, assuming another team claims him for their PS, would it be Crap's decision to make? I would hope, given that choice, that he would stay-unless he held some kind of grudge about it.

Coogs
08-06-2005, 05:17 PM
So at this point, assuming another team claims him for their PS, would it be Crap's decision to make? I would hope, given that choice, that he would stay-unless he held some kind of grudge about it.

I would agree. I would hope he would stay too. But, I think we lost somebody a few years back to another team because he wanted to be closer to home. Might have been the FB who went to the Falcons, but it seems to me that whoever it was opted to go to the Bengals.

Mr. Laz
08-06-2005, 07:15 PM
What about our kicker situation? Is Tynes going to kickoff or will Colquitt handle those duties?

nope... one of the coaches just talked about being pleased with Tyne's kickoffs in camp just the other day.

chop
08-06-2005, 07:29 PM
I would agree. I would hope he would stay too. But, I think we lost somebody a few years back to another team because he wanted to be closer to home. Might have been the FB who went to the Falcons, but it seems to me that whoever it was opted to go to the Bengals.

That was George Layne. I remember hearing how CP, or someone else in managment, chased him down at the airport on his way to meet with Atlanta.

Count Alex's Wins
08-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Chris Horn is going to get the SHAFT.

TEX
08-06-2005, 10:11 PM
I'm glad to hear about Kawika. It is good to hear he improved.

I agree, but I'll believe it when I see it.

TEX
08-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Q: Is John Welbourn injured or are you just giving him the day off?

VERMEIL: “He got a slight ding yesterday when Tony Richardson fell on the back of his leg. So, we just gave him the morning off.”

Man that was a bad deal to get Welbourn. I never understood why we gave up so much to get a guy who has had injury problems his whole career. I know it was to replace Tait, but I thought at the time we gave up way too much for the guy. That point was driven home when the last part of the deal became a 3rd instead of a 4th... :shake: