PDA

View Full Version : Morning Practice 8/6 River Falls Site

Coogs
08-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Saturday, Aug. 6 , 2005 Morning
K.C. Chiefs Training Camp Daily Updates

It was a cool, clear morning at the start of Chiefs' practice at the Ramer Field Sports Complex today. The temperature was 71 degrees and the dew point was 57 degrees. The wind was from the west at one mile per hour. About 615 fans were present to cheer on the Chiefs.

Defense

Defensive Line Coach Bob Karmelowicz was asked a few questions after morning practice. "(Defensive end) Khari Long is more in a developmental mode. He's a very athletic kid with good instincts, the only thing that's hurting him is experience and strength and both of those things take time, so you'll never really know when you'll see it. A perfect example for Khari Long is looking at Jimmy Wilkerson. Two years ago Jimmy was getting thrown all over the place and now he's one of our better players. He's probably the most technically sound and most productive lineman we have right now."

When asked about the right end, Karmelowicz responded, "Your right end, if you had to pick a guy, would be your big play man. Usually you like somebody with flexibility, quickness and a lot of instincts. The Lawrence Taylor or Derrick Thomas type of guy, would be the perfect right end because they had speed and could make the big play. You know if you were going to build a defensive line you would want your best technician on the left end; your toughest guy should be at left tackle; the more athletic tackle to be your right tackle and your rocket ship to be your right end."
Coach Dick Vermeil discussed the progress of linebacker Kawika Mitchell, saying that he "is an improved football player." Vermeil went on to say that he will show up more as the team moves to preseason games. Mitchell has improved on taking on blockers, play recognition, he is in a tougher frame of mind, and he has added some violence to the game, according to Vermeil. "He's such a good athlete and always in position to make a play," said Vermeil.

Defensive end Khari Long did not practice this morning. The rookie was out with a back strain. Defensive tackle Montique Sharp also did not practice today. His father was hospitalized and he went home to be with him. Also not practicing today was safety Jerome Woods and defensive tackles John Browning and Junior Siavii. Linebackers Scott Fujita, Mike Maslowski, Shawn Barber and Quinton Caver were also out.

During morning drills, the linebackers worked on knocking down the single sled. After about 10 minutes of work, they finished the drill and went back onto the field. However, Kendrell Bell stayed behind for about 10 minutes working with linebacker Coach Fred Pagac on the sled. A huge crowd gathered near the star player as they watched him continuously knock down the sled, and cheered on his big hits.

During 11-on-11 drills, rookie cornerback Alphonso Hodge made a huge tackle to stop a play. Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham seemed to take notice and yelled out to him, "Hey 47, you're starting to learn your stuff!" Hodge also made a big play during 7-on-7 drills, when he knocked the ball out of wide receiver Richard Smith's hand, from quarterback Todd Collins' pass.

The offense and defense also practiced 9-on-7 drills and focused on the inside running game. During this time the defense worked on blitzes. One of the main focuses was the all-out blitz, which featured a two-safety blitz. Also, during 11-on-11 drills, the defense was practicing corner blitzes.

Defensive line Coach Bob Karmelowicz was asked how does he profile defensive end Jared Allen . He said that he puts him in "a Gumby category." Karmelowicz also said that it is rare to find a player who is 6-6, and have such great lower body balance. He also stated that Allen is able to play for an overextended amount of time, and is able to maintain power in his lower body.
Offense

During this morning's practice the offense did a walk through passing tree drill. Wide receivers Darrell Hill and Chris Horn, and running back McKenzi Smith all saw snaps during the segment. Coaches highly emphasized the idea of precision in this drill.

In the first series of 11-on-11's the offense was working against beating the blitz. Running back McKenzi Smith caught a pass from quarterback Damon Huard for five-yards and he ran the ball 30 additional yards after the catch. After the play, Offensive Coordinator Al Saunders pulled Smith aside and said, "That a baby!" and gave him knuckles.

In the 9-on-7 drills this morning the offense was working on their inside run game. Running back Larry Johnson, who continues to improve throughout camp, took several hand offs from quarterback Trent Green. Running back McKenzi Smith had several carries and in one particular run Smith finished in the end zone.

The offense and defensive lines worked on two-on-two pass blocking drills for the second day in a row. Offensive tackles Thomas Barnett and Will Svitek made quite a pair today. They had a very good block against a defensive twist. Tackle Jeremy Parquet and guard Aaron Johnson also paired up today during the drill. Offensive line Coach Mike Solari had some tips for the players, "When you attack, attack with violence. Take them all down!!"

In the last drill of the day the Chiefs started with 2:15 left on the clock in a hurry up drill. Quarterback Todd Collins passed to wide receiver Samie Parker for a 20-yard catch. Collins then hit tight end Kris Wilson for a 10-yard catch. Running back Larry Johnson took a handoff off right tackle and gained short yardage. Collins then passed the ball to tight end Kris Wilson for about a gain of three. Coaches were passionate about the fact that he needed to run out of bounds and get as many yards as he could. The most vital play of the day happened on a third and eight. Wide receiver Dante Hall caught a 12-yard pass from Collins for a first down. This is a play that the Chiefs were having troubles completing last season. The next play by Collins was incomplete. Running back Dee Brown took a hand off from Collins and ran 15-yards to the opponent's 20 yard line. That play set up a field goal attempt and kicker Lawrence Tynes's 37-yard effort was good.

After this morning's practice wide receiver John Booth was stopped for a few questions. "I was watching film from the first day that I came out here, and I didn't even know how to line up, didn't know how to stand right. Coming from that and being able to come out and run across the middle and catch a pass it is nice, and it's great for the coaches. All the hard work their putting in is paying off ," says Booth.

"You know it would have had its pluses to be here and learn the offense a little bit more and feel a little more comfortable," Booth said about playing in Europe. "But I don't think I would of learned more staying here in Kansas City then going over there. I think the experience of playing is worth way more."
Guard John Welbourn did not practice this morning. Yesterday he had a slight injury when fullback Tony Richardson fell on the back of his legs. He is only out for this morning's practice, and is expected to be back this afternoon.

Coach Dick Vermeil discussed after practice the the current wide receiver situation. The No. 1 receiver will be Eddie Kennison and No. 2 will be Samie Parker. "I'm not 100 percent sure who three or four is," Vermeil stated. "We know that Dante (Hall) is one of those. Vermeil stated that this is a good problem to have, because there will be more competition for the spot. "It will be intense and it will probably come down to which two guys can make the most contributions to special teams. We have some ascending young players."

Wide receiver Marc Boerigter, who is coming back after sitting out the entire 2004 season due to knee surgery, has been showing signs of improvement. He is currently working one a day practices. Coach Dick Vermeil hopes that he can soon progress to two a day practices. An additional injured wide receiver, Chris Horn, is running selected reps in two a day practices. "I think they are both ready to play in a preseason game," said Vermeil.

Guard John Welbourn did not practice this morning. Yesterday he had a slight injury when fullback Tony Richardson fell on the back of his legs. He is only out for this morning's practice, and is expected to be back this afternoon.

Coach Dick Vermeil discussed after practice the probability of the current wide receiver situation. The No. 1 receiver on the offense will be Eddie Kennison, and No. 2 will be Samie Parker. "I'm not 100 percent sure who three or four is," Vermeil stated. "We know that Dante (Hall) is one of those. Vermeil stated that this is a good problem to have, because there will be more competition for the spot. "It will be intense and it will probably come down to which two guys can make the most contributions to special teams. We have some ascending young players."

Wide receiver Marc Boerigter , who is coming back after sitting out the entire 2004 season due to knee surgery, has been showing signs of improvement. He is currently working one a day practices. Coach Dick Vermeil hopes that he can soon progress to two a day practices. An additional injured wide receiver, Chris Horn , is running selected reps in two a day practices. "I think they are both ready to play in a preseason game," said Vermeil .
Offensive line coach Mike Solari singled out center Casey Wiegmann early in practice this morning. During blocking drills, Solari told Wiegmann he had a "good base" and he did a great job of "squaring up to his man."

Wide receiver Darrell Hill and cornerback Alphonso Hodge both looked impressive during passing drills this morning. Hill caught two beautiful throws from quarterback Todd Collins, on one he pushed his way into the end zone. Hodge provided fantastic coverage for three plays - one resulting in a broken up pass from Collins to wide receiver Samie Parker.

Offensive coordinator Al Saunders was very optimistic about the age of his offensive line this season, but is concerned with consistency. "Age is experience but with the new guys coming in and out, it may be difficult for us to gel right away." When asked about guard Will Shields coming back at full strength, Saunders said that only Shields would know that but, "Every night I pray that my family is safe and that Will comes back." The intense play of quarterback Todd Collins was also complimented by Saunders. "He has a great understanding of the offense and is a tremendously underrated player; Collins understands offense just as well as Trent Green and has a very catch able ball." Another player who Saunders enjoys is wide receiver Eddie Kennison. "Eddie works extremely hard. Last year was his best year, not just statistically, but also as a football player. He is a great learning tool for these younger players." Tackle Willie Roaf has been phenomenal, according to Saunders. "Willie Roaf can run like a deer and is a great pass protector." The coaching staff is monitoring his amount of practice time and ensuring that he gets enough rest.

Special Teams

Coach Frank Gansz, Jr. got upset with cornerback Alphonso Hodge during the special teams portion of practice this morning. Gansz was seen throwing his handful of papers on the ground, yelling at Hodge to get in his place and yelling at the other players for not telling him to get in his place. Applause and cheers of "You tell him, Frank!" and "Right on!" came from the crowd in support of Gansz.

Kicker Lawrence Tynes was 4-5 during field goals this morning. Kicks from 33, 38, 43 and 38 were good. His missed attempt was from 33 yards.

In an interview with rookie punter Dustin Colquitt he explained how his individual strengths are strengths for the team. "The height of my punts and the hang time are hard for return men to handle, so it puts the defense in good field position." Colquitt is a left-footed punter who is right-handed so is always holding a ball in his hands. His comfort level with his left hand needs to be improved, so he often juggles golf balls to work on hand-eye coordination. He also commented on his feelings about being the holding for kicker Lawrence Tynes. "I really enjoy it because it gets me into the game." Colquitt is blessed to come from a family of football players. "I call my Dad after every practice and he helps me with everything from my personal life to problems I'm having with technique on the field; he is always there for me."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Godd to see Hodge making plays at CB! :toast:

Maybe even better about Wilkerson! :toast:

Mr. Laz
08-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Jimmy Wilkerson. Two years ago Jimmy was getting thrown all over the place and now he's one of our better players. He's probably the most technically sound and most productive lineman we have right now."

Coach Dick Vermeil discussed after practice the the current wide receiver situation. The No. 1 receiver will be Eddie Kennison and No. 2 will be Samie Parker. "I'm not 100 percent sure who three or four is," Vermeil stated. "We know that Dante (Hall) is one of those.
then why is hicks still starting left end?

glad to hear that wide receiver is an open competition STFU

Rudy lost the toss
08-06-2005, 02:51 PM
with all the talk of going to a 3-4, I always thought that if the chiefs did that Wilkerson would be the DE opposite of Browning. That said I would not be comfortable with a 3-4 defense without a good NT.

Mr. Laz
08-06-2005, 02:55 PM
with all the talk of going to a 3-4, I always thought that if the chiefs did that Wilkerson would be the DE opposite of Browning. That said I would not be comfortable with a 3-4 defense without a good NT.

our defensive tackles are prolly the weakest spot on our defense now :(

Rudy lost the toss
08-06-2005, 02:59 PM
our defensive tackles are prolly the weakest spot on our defense now :(
pretty sad considering they have wasted four top draft picks on that position in the last 5 years. I guess Sims and Siavii COULD turn out to be good though :shake:

Mr. Laz
08-06-2005, 03:02 PM
pretty sad considering they have wasted four top draft picks on that position in the last 5 years. I guess Sims and Siavii COULD turn out to be good though :shake:
could ... but isn't sims in the last year of his initial contract so he's probably gonna have his good years elsewhere.

i don't see how they can give a new contract based on his current performance unless he's gonna sign cheap

Chieficus
08-06-2005, 03:42 PM
could ... but isn't sims in the last year of his initial contract so he's probably gonna have his good years elsewhere.

i don't see how they can give a new contract based on his current performance unless he's gonna sign cheap

He signed a 7-year contract back in '02, so this shouldn't be the last year unless we're talking about some sort of voiding clauses in there...

http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/ryan_sims/

philfree
08-06-2005, 03:55 PM
then why is hicks still starting left end?

glad to hear that wide receiver is an open competition STFU

With limited WR spots left don't you think that will increase the competition for the guys who are trying to win a spot on the roster? If it doesn't then those guys ain't got what it takes anyways.

PhilFree:arrow:

Mr. Laz
08-06-2005, 04:04 PM
With limited WR spots left don't you think that will increase the competition for the guys who are trying to win a spot on the roster? If it doesn't then those guys ain't got what it takes anyways.

imo he should of commited to parker already ... if it's open, it's open

you'd think after 20 years of coaching vermeil would of learned how to say things ... but it doesn't seem like he has to me.

yes, i know ... you disagree

philfree
08-06-2005, 04:24 PM
imo he should of commited to parker already ... if it's open, it's open

you'd think after 20 years of coaching vermeil would of learned how to say things ... but it doesn't seem like he has to me.

yes, i know ... you disagree

What did DV say so wrong there? He said what we all already know. Kennison is #1, Parker is #2 and Dante will fill one of the recieving spots. I bet the other WRs knew this before DV answered that question. Also did you mean to say that DV shouldn't have committed to Parker already?

I don't always disagree with what you have to say but DV is the guy who's been successful at every place he's coached so I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing. I ain't saying he's beyond reproach.........

Ninjaman
08-06-2005, 05:50 PM
Boothe played well . What does that mean to Parker?

I think this is a SMOKE up our asses.

It doesn't matter how well you look in these practices if you don't have physical abilities like SPEED.

TEX
08-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Good to hear that Bo is making progress. Go BO!

Nightfyre
08-06-2005, 11:11 PM
Its good to see Hodge stepping it up!