PDA

View Full Version : Holmes & Johnson may split more time with Chiefs/Kris Wilson story post #5

Wile_E_Coyote
08-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Posted on Sat, Aug. 06, 2005
Doug Tucker
http://www.ohio.com/images/common/spacer.gif
Associated Press
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/12321068.htm

RIVER FALLS, Wis. - Priest Holmes doesn't seem to have a jealous bone in his muscular body.

Doesn't Kansas City's three-time Pro Bowl running back understand that aging superstars are supposed to yield ground only grudgingly to youthful rivals?

Apparently not. Larry Johnson is getting about as many carries as Holmes during the Chiefs' two-a-day practices. Once the regular season begins, he figures to claim a much bigger share of the load than he has ever had.

And Holmes, the most productive running back in Chiefs history, sounds almost as though he's the one who came up with the idea.

"I think it's absolutely important to get Larry (more involved)," Holmes said. "I think it would make our team stronger."

Holmes was on the sideline last year, missing the last eight games with a knee injury, when Johnson emerged as a bona fide threat. Finally given the playing time he had been clamoring for, the second-year pro rolled up 541 yards rushing and nine touchdowns. Three times, he went over 100 yards rushing.

Now Holmes is back in full health and Johnson has returned to the second team. But running the ball at Arrowhead Stadium this fall will be more of a two-man operation than ever before.

"That's someone who's vital in terms of what our offense can use," Holmes said.

Holmes will turn 32 in October, an advanced age for somebody who has spent eight years absorbing the pounding NFL tacklers routinely dish out. But like many of the Chiefs vintage mainstays, he has been practicing only once a day, and it seems to help.

"My body feels good," he said. "But I can definitely say that if I was practicing twice a day, it probably would not feel as good as it does now."

Could sharing time with Johnson extend his career?

"I don't think it will extend it," he said. "Once it's time for my career to end, it will end, regardless of another person being able to take some of the reps. But in terms of making it to the Super Bowl and being a contender, I really think that adding him and also the defensive players we've added is really going to make our team stronger."

For the past three seasons, there's not been a more productive running back in the NFL than Holmes, who joined the Chiefs as an unheralded unrestricted free agent from Baltimore in 2001. He scored 66 touchdowns from 2002-04, an NFL record for any three-year span.

He was leading the league with 833 yards rushing and 84 points scored when he went down at the season's midway point in 2004. He already has established team records with 5,482 yards rushing and 7,645 yards from scrimmage.

But he and the Chiefs have never reached their Super Bowl goal. Only once in his time in Kansas City, in 2003, have they made the postseason at all.

If sharing more time with Johnson will get him to a championship, Holmes is all for it.

"I think for me it's just wanting to win," he said. "I'm used to winning. I'm used to being next to a team that has so many outstanding players. To be able to do some of the things we've done and not be able to finish on top is very disappointing."

Quarterback Trent Green is on board with the new plan.

"Hopefully, Larry's role in the offense this season is the same and even more," Green said. "It's clear Priest is going to be the starter. But I think we'll be able to rotate the two of them and take some of the pressure off Priest."

As long as Dick Vermeil is the head coach, however, there'll be no mistaking who is No. 1.

"Priest Holmes is our starting running back and Larry Johnson is his backup," Vermeil said. "They'll both play. Throughout Priest's career he's been go-go-go, then he needs a blow and comes out."

Chieficus
08-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Hmmm... this could actually be a RBBC that works...

Tinlar
08-06-2005, 01:44 PM
This is a good problem to have.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
08-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Posted on Sat, Aug. 06, 2005
Doug Tucker
Associated Press
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/12321068.htm

RIVER FALLS, Wis. - Priest Holmes doesn't seem to have a jealous bone in his muscular body.

"Priest Holmes is our starting running back and Larry Johnson is his backup," Vermeil said. "They'll both play. Throughout Priest's career he's been go-go-go, then he needs a blow and comes out."
DV is cheating on Eric Hicks?!

Wile_E_Coyote
08-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Wilson gives KC another weapon
Rick Dean, Topeka Capital Journal

RIVER FALLS, Wis. -- The idea of having three tight ends on your fantasy football lineup isn't a completely revolutionary concept. Not if the tight ends are, say, Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates and Alge Crumpler.

Al Saunders, the coordinator of the Kansas City offense that led the NFL in yardage and was No. 2 in points last year, might even be as inclined this year to use three tight ends as three wide receivers, including Gonzalez, Jason Dunn and 2004 second-round draft pick Kris Wilson.

"Why not?" Saunders asked rhetorically. "Back in another life (the early 1980s) in San Diego we did it quite a bit with Kellen Winslow (a Hall of Fame tight end), Pete Houlihan and Eric Sievers.

"You try to get your five best skill-position players on the field at one time," Saunders added. "Sometimes that means four wide receivers. Sometimes that could be a three tight end package."

In the case of the Kansas City receiving corps, three tights is a very intriguing number.

Especially when one is Gonzalez, who a year ago set the NFL record for single-season receptions by a tight end (102). Gonzo's 1,258 receiving yards last year rank second in league history only to Winslow's 1,290-yard campaign with Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Fouts in 1980.

The Chiefs also make good use of Dunn. As one of the best blocking tight ends in the business, the 275-pound Dunn is an extension of KC's imposing offensive line, and a contributing factor in the league's fifth-best running offense last year. His 17 receptions and three touchdowns were pastry, an unexpected but satisfying dessert.

Now factor Wilson into the tight end equation and the balance of power tips in Saunders' favor.

Wilson is a hybrid receiver -- small for a tight end (6-foot-2, 251), oversized for a wideout -- who presents matchup problems for opposing defenses. Faster than most linebackers, bigger than most corners, he's an up-the-middle target who can open the outside routes for Gonzalez and Kansas City's less-than-stellar receiving corps.

"We'll ask him to learn three different positions -- one as a tight end, one in the backfield as a fullback, one as a wide receiver," Saunders said. "Anytime you have a guy who can catch the ball like he can, you try to get him involved."

Saunders saw Wilson's potential in lobbying for his selection as the Chiefs' No. 2 draft pick in 2004. Even with Gonzalez in his arsenal, Saunders saw Wilson as a receiver who could add dimensions he last explored with the prolific Air Coryell offense in San Diego.

Saunders was just beginning to realize those possibilities during Wilson's rookie preseason campaign when a stunning injury -- a broken leg in the final preseason game at Dallas -- put his mad scientist designs on the back Bunsen burner.

The bad break essentially wiped out Wilson's rookie season after a promising seven-catch, 73-yard preseason. Kansas City thought enough of Wilson's potential that he remained on the active roster in the hope that he'd be available for a late-season playoff run that never materialized after an 0-3 start.

"That told me they have tremendous confidence in my ability," said Wilson, who rarely drops a pass and, accordingly, has become a favorite target for Trent Green. "Now I have to live up to that.

"I'm hungry, eager, anxious -- whatever word you want to use -- to go out and play again and do the things I expect of myself and people expect of me," he added. "The injury was disappointing, but I've almost forgotten about it in trying to move on and start over again.

"I'm a lot further along this year than I was last year, so I don't feel like a rookie anymore. But I am anxious to get out there and play a whole season, especially now that I feel like I'm at 100 percent again."

Mr. Laz
08-06-2005, 01:53 PM
i wondered how they were gonna fit holmes, johnson,Trich,wilson all in the backfield at once.

teedubya
08-06-2005, 01:53 PM
yeah, i keep forgetting about Kris Wilson, besides the FUGG KRIS WILSON thread from long ago.

I think he can really contribute in an exciting fashion this year.

the Talking Can
08-06-2005, 02:34 PM
being able to "spell" Holmes with a home run threat like LJ will be huge this year...

philfree
08-06-2005, 02:43 PM
being able to "spell" Holmes with a home run threat like LJ will be huge this year...

Our running game behind our O Line is almost unstoppable. With Holmes and LJ both being what they are we should be able run teams into the ground. I'm all for the balance that DV talks about but with these two guys I wouldn't hurt me at all to see us lean to the running game a little more in 2005.

PhilFree:arrow:

yoswif
08-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Saunders has reportedly lined up Priest and LJ in the same backfield in training camp. Maybe AS is running some old Packer sweeps from a pro set? Or maybe the old Raider counter dive from a split back set with LJ being a much more explosive Van Eagan or Dixon?

B_Ambuehl
08-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Saying you're gonna play another 2 backs is easy and has been said by many a coach but actually doing it is different. When you're in a close game and your offense isn't dominating it's about impossible to do from a mental standpoint. Even when things are going extremely well when your starting running back gets into the flow and is running the ball extremely effectively it's hard to go away from him. I predict that, barring injury to Priest, LJ will get quite a bit fewer snaps then what's being advertised right now.

Tinlar
08-06-2005, 03:04 PM
I've considered the possibility of Priest and LJ in the backfield together. Beyond the confusion that it might cause a defense once I don't see any reliable reason for the line up.

Now you think about putting Tony, Jason and Kris all out there. That is a nightmare for a defense to match up against. As much as we shift around at the line it is impossible for them to plan personnel based on anything beyond a guess. Give Trent lots of options at the line and let him shift between run and pass based on the mismatches and we will roll all over everyone with this set.

Mr. Laz
08-06-2005, 03:49 PM
I've considered the possibility of Priest and LJ in the backfield together. Beyond the confusion that it might cause a defense once I don't see any reliable reason for the line up

me either ...

seems to me the Trich made alot of key blocks in the past and putting johnson and holmes in there together just removes that block.

i'd rather just stay with the fullback and just use johnson more to keep priest rested and maybe prevent some injuries.

|Zach|
08-06-2005, 03:53 PM
I am kind of torn. On one hand I am a big big believer in Johnson. On the other alot of times I feel like Holmes gets better as he goes on and gets more carries. Alot of times he will get hung up early in a game but when the 4th rolls around he has physically beat up a defense and they can't handle him. Splitting so much time may take away Priest when he is at his best.

tk13
08-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Saying you're gonna play another 2 backs is easy and has been said by many a coach but actually doing it is different. When you're in a close game and your offense isn't dominating it's about impossible to do from a mental standpoint. Even when things are going extremely well when your starting running back gets into the flow and is running the ball extremely effectively it's hard to go away from him. I predict that, barring injury to Priest, LJ will get quite a bit fewer snaps then what's being advertised right now.
I actually agree with that... I think if Priest gets in there and starts rolling, it's going to be hard to get him out of the game.

philfree
08-06-2005, 04:07 PM
I've considered the possibility of Priest and LJ in the backfield together. Beyond the confusion that it might cause a defense once I don't see any reliable reason for the line up.

Now you think about putting Tony, Jason and Kris all out there. That is a nightmare for a defense to match up against. As much as we shift around at the line it is impossible for them to plan personnel based on anything beyond a guess. Give Trent lots of options at the line and let him shift between run and pass based on the mismatches and we will roll all over everyone with this set.

I don't remember if was Saunders or DV but In one of the Q&As it was said that yeah they've worked them together but they probably wouldn't use that package much if at all. As far as number of carries DV has said that Holmes would get most of the carries and LJ would be the backup and spell him when he needed it. I think he did say that LJ would get more carries then a normal backup but he couldn't/wouldn't put a number on it. Holmes is a better more rounded RB then LJ is right now but IMO LJ is more dangerous. He can take it to the house from anywhere on the field.

PhilFree:arrow:

go bo
08-06-2005, 04:24 PM
i wondered how they were gonna fit holmes, johnson,Trich,wilson all in the backfield at once.it's one of those new things that saunders has come up with...

a no quarterback set...

Mr. Laz
08-06-2005, 04:36 PM
it's one of those new things that saunders has come up with...

a no quarterback set...

Mr. Laz
08-06-2005, 04:47 PM

tk13
08-06-2005, 04:53 PM
ROFL There we go, run the picket fence on them. "Alright Tony, don't get caught watchin the paint dry!"

KCFalcon59
08-06-2005, 04:57 PM

ROFL ROFL

chop
08-06-2005, 05:16 PM

You don't have enough guys on the line of scrimmage. I know you are just joking around but it will be interesting to see what AS is going to try.

Crush
08-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Find a way to get Scanlon in there and you might have something.

HemiEd
08-06-2005, 05:42 PM
You make Marv Levy proud. Rep. ROFL