PDA

View Full Version : Q&A AL SAUNDERS

C-Mac
08-07-2005, 12:43 AM
Probably a repost........... :)

Q&A AL SAUNDERS
Aug 06, 2005, 12:58:09 PM

TRAINING CAMP

Q: What are the improvements you have seen in (WR) Samie Parker?

SAUNDERS: “The thing that started it is that he is from the Pac 10 so he was not able to come here all through OTAs last year. He missed all of that because of academic commitments. Then in training camp he had a pulled hamstring and really only worked seven days during training camp. We thought enough of him that we thought we should keep him on the roster to give him a chance to develop throughout the season. The thing he shows right now is the knowledge of the offense. He is in the right place at the right time. We know he has speed and know he can catch the ball, that is why we brought him. He is familiar with what we are doing and his timing, not only with Todd (Collins) because that is who he worked with the most, but also Trent (Green). With Samie it is just a matter of being durable enough to play a 16-game schedule and the postseason. It is not the games as much. It is the practices. The tempo and the wearing down a receiver has with the way we practice and the speed that we practice. Right now he is holding up real well and doing a nice job.”

Q: Are you concerned about the age of the offensive line?

SAUNDERS: “I just look at age as experience. I don’t really think that is a factor quite honestly. What is a factor is that group of four guys Will (Shields), Willie (Roaf), Brian (Waters) and Casey (Wiegmann) really have taken every snap together for three years in OTAs, in training camp and during the season. Now the in and out, one-a-day sessions and moving guys around because we have to work those young guys. I think if we played this week I would have a concern with the consistency, but certainly we have another five weeks before we play that opener. The experience they have in our offense, I think we can jell those guys together very quickly. We got some time. The consistency would concern me if this inability to play together would continue.”

Q: Do you think (G) Will Shields will be back at full strength?

SAUNDERS: “I cannot answer that. He can answer that. I pray every night that my family is safe and that Will comes back.”

Q: (QB) Todd Collins has played well, do you plan to hold him back in the preseason games?

SAUNDERS: “No, Todd needs all the work he can get. He has done a terrific job. You saw that two-minute offense and he was flawless. He has a great understanding of this offense and I think he is a tremendously underrated player. He has been in this scheme going on his fifth season. He is an extremely brilliant young man and he understands the offense as thoroughly as Trent (Green) does and he has a very catchable ball. He has improved in his passing game. (QBs coach) Terry Shea has done a terrific job with him in regards to his mechanics and his throwing the ball. He has a lot more velocity than he has ever had. We would feel very comfortable if Todd had to go in and play. He needs all of the work in the preseason because that is all the work he really gets in a contact situation. He needs to play the game. He has had a lot of practice time, but it has been a long time since he actually played in the game. He needs to play the game.”

Q: Can you talk about the leadership roles that (WR) Eddie Kennison has shown?

SAUNDERS: “Eddie is a great human being. When he comes out here to practice he gives you a solid day’s work every day. He works extremely hard. He has worked hard to improve his game and he has done so in a tremendous way. Last year was his best year, not just statistically, but overall as a football player. We are happy with his progress and he can still get better. He shows the young guys how to practice and he is a great learning tool for those young guys who are trying to develop and make the roster.”

Q: Is Willie Roaf one of the more strange offensive linemen with the way he walks?

SAUNDERS: “I have never seen a guy who cannot walk like him, but can run like a deer. When you see him come out running you get scared. He has such great technique as a pass protector. As a run defender, run blocker he can dominate you if he gets leverage on you. The best thing we have done for him is really monitor his reps because he is a guy that has taken a lot of reps during his career. I don’t think he has missed many football games during his career as a football player. Monitoring his time has been real prudent on the part of coach (Dick) Vermeil to make sure he does not get overworked in this training camp.

He is a phenomenal player. He is such an outstanding pass protector he gives us that left side and is a brick wall there. He is responsible for a lot of things we do in the passing game. If we did not have him there we would have to change some things we do. I think sometimes we take him for granted. The greatest display of pass protection ability was in the playoff game and the regular season game against Indianapolis and (DE Dwight) Freeney. He is one of quality pass rushers in the league and he never got close to the quarterback.”

Q: Does he deceive people with his speed?

SAUNDERS: “I think so. Every day he comes out and it looks like he cannot walk. He has that funny gait. When that ball is snapped he covers ground like nobody’s business. He is a terrific football player.”

Q: He is also a highly intelligent player.

SAUNDERS: “He has great genes. His family is very well educated. I think he has a sister in medical school. He has a sister that is an attorney. He is a very bright young man. Guys get older, but they get more experience and they change the style of how they play to accommodate their lack of maybe quickness that happens over a period of time. Willie has done that. He has done a great job of addressing his game. He understands. He studies film and he understands what his opponent does. We are so happy to have him. He has had maybe his best training camp since being here. Some of it is the limited work and he has more energy, more intensity and more quickness when he comes out.”

Q: Will we see (FB) Robert Holcombe at running back?

SAUNDERS: “We brought him in because he has the versatility to play both running back and fullback. Priest (Holmes) was missing this morning. We had an injury to one of our young running backs (Samkon Gado) yesterday and another guy was down so we were short a that position today. That is why he is there. If we are short at that position he has to be able to jump in to play running back.”

the Talking Can
08-07-2005, 06:09 AM
The greatest display of pass protection ability was in the playoff game and the regular season game against Indianapolis and (DE Dwight) Freeney. He is one of quality pass rushers in the league and he never got close to the quarterback.”

Amen. He made Freeney look like a 3 year old. The OL in that playoff game was damn near perfect.

FRCDFED
08-07-2005, 10:41 AM
The greatest display of pass protection ability was in the playoff game and the regular season game against Indianapolis and (DE Dwight) Freeney. He is one of quality pass rushers in the league and he never got close to the quarterback.”

Amen. He made Freeney look like a 3 year old. The OL in that playoff game was damn near perfect.There is only one game in my mind where the OL reached immortality status:

That was when the OL made the Ravens defense look like a HS football team and Rayray was crying like a little biotch!!! We brought the best OL against the "overhyped" defense of the Ravens and just ran over them all day long!! :toast:

chop
08-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Q: (QB) Todd Collins has played well, do you plan to hold him back in the preseason games?

What's up with this question?

SNR
08-07-2005, 01:00 PM
SAUNDERS: “No, Todd needs all the work he can get. He has done a terrific job. You saw that two-minute offense and he was flawless. He has a great understanding of this offense and I think he is a tremendously underrated player. He has been in this scheme going on his fifth season. He is an extremely brilliant young man and he understands the offense as thoroughly as Trent (Green) does and he has a very catchable ball. He has improved in his passing game. (QBs coach) Terry Shea has done a terrific job with him in regards to his mechanics and his throwing the ball. He has a lot more velocity than he has ever had. We would feel very comfortable if Todd had to go in and play. He needs all of the work in the preseason because that is all the work he really gets in a contact situation. He needs to play the game. He has had a lot of practice time, but it has been a long time since he actually played in the game. He needs to play the game.”That's my boy! Keep f*cking doubting t3h 0dd 70dd!!!!!!!