PDA

View Full Version : Any car electronic geniouses here? I need help...

wutamess
08-06-2005, 11:51 PM
Here's my issue...
If any of you locals wanna make a few bucks taking a look and resolving the iss please let me know.

Setup:
1999 Isuzu Rodeo
HU: kenwood kac528
Speakers: 2 (temp) front tweeters (component 6.5 was too deep) and 4" RF rears. All wires are closed tipped with electrical tape.
AMP: MTX 801D amp for Infinity kappa 12.1 perfect sub.

Background note:
I've fixed previous problems with making sure all speaker wires that were exposed are covered with electrical tape after reading this site.

Symptoms:
It worked for a while but I went to test it out and turn the volume up and it bombed and started doing what it was doing before.
First thing to go was the rear speakers and the front tweets while the sub still plays.

5-10 secs later, the the HU completely powers down off.
I can hit the reset button and it powers on to standby mode. But as soon as a choose a setting that uses the speakers, it powers down again before any music is played.

Another thing: Circuit City installed the hu today because I screwed it up the day before and I noticed that he didn't ground the HU at all. Does that make a difference?

Note:
My original problem was that the Rear left speaker was grounding out because of the exposed wires. I covered those up but I'm still hearing a cracking noise on system startup out of that speaker.

Tired of troubleshooting the problem and would love to hear you guys opinions or suggestions please.

Hopefully I didn't forgot anything.

C-Mac
08-06-2005, 11:53 PM
The Doctor is in. :D

DenverChief
08-06-2005, 11:53 PM
Problem: 1999 Isuzu Rodeo
Solution: Get rid of 1999 Isuzu Rodeo

C-Mac
08-06-2005, 11:56 PM
OK If any speaker lead touches ground it would likely kill all the sound in the system except the amp.

A radio can be chassis grounded in a ISO DIN mount.

C-Mac
08-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Now if you are using crossovers on your component set, then the grounding would not kill the front entirely.

C-Mac
08-07-2005, 12:01 AM
If your radio had been getting real hot its still a sign of a speaker lead grounding, continual over heating from a short can eventually damage the amp and power supply in the radio.

C-Mac
08-07-2005, 12:03 AM
You need to buy or borrow a continuity tester, so you can easily determine if a short is still present.

wutamess
08-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Problem: 1999 Isuzu Rodeo
Solution: Get rid of 1999 Isuzu Rodeo

ROFL

wutamess
08-07-2005, 12:06 AM
No wire is touching ground.
I covered all of those up with electrical tape. Even the place where the components were to go.

wutamess
08-07-2005, 12:07 AM
The ground wire ceoming from the HU is not grounded and I put electrical tape over it so that it wouldn't touch aynthing on the chassis... is that ok that it's not grounded or is that part of my problem?

C-Mac
08-07-2005, 12:11 AM
The ground wire ceoming from the HU is not grounded and I put electrical tape over it so that it wouldn't touch aynthing on the chassis... is that ok that it's not grounded or is that part of my problem?

Its probably OK but it wouldnt hurt to chassis groung the black wire just in case.

A simple way to see if its the wiring or the radio, is to unhook all speaker leads from the radio(make sure they touch nothing) then power it up and see what happens.

C-Mac
08-07-2005, 12:13 AM
No wire is touching ground.
I covered all of those up with electrical tape. Even the place where the components were to go.

Yes, but a burnt voice coil can short the 2 speaker leads together and cause a shut down.

wutamess
08-07-2005, 12:15 AM
burnt voice coil may be the culprit. the left rear speaker I'm seemingly having to continually work on that as it keeps finding ways to "undo" itself.

So you're telling me that the freaking speaker may be toast?

DenverChief
08-07-2005, 12:15 AM
ROFL:)

C-Mac
08-07-2005, 12:20 AM
burnt voice coil may be the culprit. the left rear speaker I'm seemingly having to continually work on that as it keeps finding ways to "undo" itself.

So you're telling me that the freaking speaker may be toast?

Like I said before, the best way to be sure is unhook all speaker leads and power up. If it comes on, start hooking the speakers back one at a time and if one is shorted it will kill the radio again.

wutamess
08-07-2005, 12:23 AM
Well I pretty much know which one it is... (the left rear)

Are you local?
K.C. area?
Would one of those voltage recorder things the electiricians touch wires with help me out with the diagnoses?

wutamess
08-07-2005, 12:24 AM
I'm really new to car stereo installation and how electrical systems work so I really have no freaking clue as to what I'd be looking for.

However, I'll be looking at the speaker tomorrow morning.

C-Mac
08-07-2005, 12:31 AM
Well I pretty much know which one it is... (the left rear)

Are you local?
K.C. area?
Would one of those voltage recorder things the electiricians touch wires with help me out with the diagnoses?

I'm in Bentonville Arkansas.
Do what I suggest and it will work like a using a meter.
I've been doing this stuff for 25 years.
:D

StcChief
08-07-2005, 08:52 AM
Simple problem solving, one step at a time.

HU Ground wire need to be grounded to chassis.

Short speakers voice coil out will cause problems.
Unplug that speaker for now, if you know that.

Step at a time thru each speaker. unplug all. Plug in each one.

wutamess
08-07-2005, 10:29 AM
K,

unhooked the speaker and everything seemed to work flawlessly. Is th ere anything i can do to the speaker to get it to work or do I need to get a new set of speakers entirely?

wutamess
08-07-2005, 10:30 AM
BTW: I didn't ground the stereo.

C-Mac
08-10-2005, 07:28 AM
K,

unhooked the speaker and everything seemed to work flawlessly. Is th ere anything i can do to the speaker to get it to work or do I need to get a new set of speakers entirely?

BTW: I didn't ground the stereo

You might verify that there was no grounding taking place around the leads of the speaker, otherwise.....
Remove, Reject and Replace.

The radio is probably chassis grounded or grounding thru the antenna. Still not a bad idea to attach ground wire.